Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scout says expect Wr In first round

It doesn’t mean the scout is telling the truth. I was reading that KC was very secretive and let out no clues that they were thinking of taking Mahomes. There are a lot of WR in this draft. I think we can get a great one most likely with that WA pick or even ours unless we have to use both to move up for a QB. I just think fans need to brace themselves that they may not like the QB in this draft or they are really going to give Jacoby another year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It doesn’t mean the scout is telling the truth. I was reading that KC was very secretive and let out no clues that they were thinking of taking Mahomes. There are a lot of WR in this draft. I think we can get a great one most likely with that WA pick or even ours unless we have to use both to move up for a QB. I just think fans need to brace themselves that they may not like the QB in this draft or they are really going to give Jacoby another year. 

The message was clear. “No QB!” :lol:

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out that this is not exactly what is said in the article:

It says "A high-placed scouting source told me this week they expect wide receiver to be high on the team's wish list in the first round of the 2020 draft."

-"high-placed scouting source" might mean anything really and it doesn't say that that scouting source is with the Colts. A ton of the "sources tell me" stories about the draft are suspicions other teams have about their competitors. For example, lets say the source is a scout for another team and he sees the same Colts scouts and execs  at games featuring highly ranked receivers... and he makes a note of that and sends it up the chain.

-if it's coming from a Colts scout I can guarantee you this is a personal opinion of his rather than some formed intention by the Colts FO. I doubt Ballard is even meeting with most of his scouts right now while the season is going on. They still don't have all the information, they don't have the list of players declaring for the draft, they don't have any measurements or athletic testing, they haven't met and interviewed any of the prospects, none of the draft events have taken place. The Colts scouting department at this point of the season probably doesn't even have the rudiments of a draft board and most importantly, I seriously doubt the scouts have any idea what Ballard's thoughts are right now about the draft because... you know why? Probably because Ballard doesn't have any firm opinions formed yet, precisely because he doesn't have anywhere close to the full information. 

So yeah... take that article with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Another note it said WR was on the wish list for the first round. That doesn’t mean QB isn’t either. That just means if the QB isn’t there maybe they go WR.

Yep... 

BTW I don't even mind us targeting WRs high in the draft. I've been saying we need to improve our weapons for a while now and this WR draft class is very strong so I would actually be disappointed if we didn't come out of this draft with a WR in the first 2 days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just wanted to point out that this is not exactly what is said in the article:

It says "A high-placed scouting source told me this week they expect wide receiver to be high on the team's wish list in the first round of the 2020 draft."

-"high-placed scouting source" might mean anything really and it doesn't say that that scouting source is with the Colts. A ton of the "sources tell me" stories about the draft are suspicions other teams have about their competitors. For example, lets say the source is a scout for another team and he sees the same Colts scouts and execs  at games featuring highly ranked receivers... and he makes a note of that and sends it up the chain.

-if it's coming from a Colts scout I can guarantee you this is a personal opinion of his rather than some formed intention by the Colts FO. I doubt Ballard is even meeting with most of his scouts right now while the season is going on. They still don't have all the information, they don't have the list of players declaring for the draft, they don't have any measurements or athletic testing, they haven't met and interviewed any of the prospects, none of the draft events have taken place. The Colts scouting department at this point of the season probably doesn't even have the rudiments of a draft board and most importantly, I seriously doubt the scouts have any idea what Ballard's thoughts are right now about the draft because... you know why? Probably because Ballard doesn't have any firm opinions formed yet, precisely because he doesn't have anywhere close to the full information. 

So yeah... take that article with a pinch of salt. 

Agree with the take the article with a pinch of salt sentiment, especially given who the source are. 

As much as I do like listening to what Matt Miller and the Stick to Football/Bleacher Report group have to say, they have been wrong in the past, especially about us. Case in point, a couple of takes he had this past draft:

4. Matt Miller will appear multiple times on this list:

4/25: "For weeks now, the talk from NFL sources has been that the Colts really want Johnathan Abram, but there was a belief in their draft room and others that he wouldn't fall to them at this spot." - Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

The Colts wanted Johnathan Abram to fall to them so badly that they traded out of their pick when he dropped to No. 26. I suppose they didn't like Abram very much after all.

3. Here's another one from Miller:

4/24: Two teams in the top 10 love Dwayne Haskins. - Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

If a team is in "love" with Dwayne Haskins, they would've taken him. Teams don't pass on quarterbacks they love. We saw this with the Giants and Daniel Jones. Which other teams in the top 10 could've loved Haskins? I don't know, given that they all passed on him! 

• Like 1

If one of our scouts said it it's not true. It would be a smoke screen. No way we will tip our hand this early or 10 seconds before our turn in the draft. If another QB needy team is drafting behind us and say they know we are drafting QBa who they happen to be prioritizing they would trade to get in front of us in a heart beat. Anything that comes from our FO or anywhere else before the draft take as a grain of salt.

Yeah, I doubt Ballard wants to tip his hand whatsoever this year, even more so than in years past.

BTW, who’s the guy who called out our interest in Banogu? Was it Tony Pauline? That’ll be the guy I tune into for Colts rumors, especially since he called us possibly taking him earlier than where people had him mocked.

Big Fat Journalism Sigh...

"High placed scouting source confirms WR is on the Wish List for the first round pick."

It's a Wish List of positions.  List, meaning, more than one in a group of many.  So, it would be just as valid to say that they confirmed DT was on their Wish List.  Or QB.  Or CB.  Or OT.  However long the list is.

So, all this "high placed scouting source" confirmed was that WR was one of our needs among many.  And that one of these list of positions would be taken with the first pick.

Thank you "high placed scouting source" for telling us what we already knew in the first place.  And thank you, hack journalist, for treating that little nugget like it was some kind of scoop.

Sigh.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

if the jags beat us on Sunday wouldn't we leap over them in terms of draft position?

IDK where the Jags would draft, but here's the scoop on the Colts' position according to the IndyStar:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/12/27/insiders-explore-colts-options-finding-franchise-quarterback/2726744001/

A loss in Jacksonville on Sunday and the Colts' best case scenario is 11th. The worst case scenario is 15th. A win in Jacksonville and the best case scenario is staying where they are (16th), with the worst being 19th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

If one of our scouts said it it's not true. It would be a smoke screen. No way we will tip our hand this early or 10 seconds before our turn in the draft. If another QB needy team is drafting behind us and say they know we are drafting QBa who they happen to be prioritizing they would trade to get in front of us in a heart beat. Anything that comes from our FO or anywhere else before the draft take as a grain of salt.

Might add the FO will probably droll all over JB till the draft to make it look we are all in for him, also.

On 12/27/2019 at 7:20 PM, DarkHorseColts said:

IDK where the Jags would draft, but here's the scoop on the Colts' position according to the IndyStar:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/12/27/insiders-explore-colts-options-finding-franchise-quarterback/2726744001/

Hmmm.... is that so?

you know, maybe we ought to get another good look at Hoyer... just to be sure.  Let JB rest that knee and pose with the D.