Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack also wants to stay here long term

Restinpeacesweetchloe

I like Mack...but how much do you pay a good RB that doesn't make plays in the passing game?

Mack sees other RBs getting $13-15M/year...he's probably going to want at least $10M/year. Are you cool giving Mack a 4/$40M deal? 

I don't know...I do want Mack to stick around...but that's a pretty expensive way to fill the role of early-down RB who doesn't catch passes.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

As long as he doesn't want top 5 money, we should get him extended.  

Right now, top 5 money is somewhere between $8.5M and $13M. That will change in a year or two with some of the RBs set to get paid. 

I would be fine giving him a Mark Ingram-esque deal...maybe a little more. But he's going to want to be paid a tier below the top guys...and I just don't know.

This is a good debate...because many people here have scoffed at the idea of using an early pick on a RB...so it will be interesting to see how they feel about paying above market value for a good, but somewhat one-dimensional RB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I like Mack...but how much do you pay a good RB that doesn't make plays in the passing game?

Agreed. I like Mack too but most of the top 5 guys run the ball well, catch passes and play on 3rd downs. He only does 1 of those. Maybe it's not his fault/decision but hes a 2 down back that doesn't catch passes and that's a rarity among high-end RBs.

I’m going to say they sign him to a 4 yr/30-35 range. He can definitely run well, he is above avg blocker, which is huge, I believe he can catch well enough, just not asked to or trusted to. I’d still like to know the story with Williams. But I think Mack and Wilkins and Hines are three really nice pieces. Mack is kinda the motor though, he just isn’t a supercharged V8. 

• Thanks 1

We’ve been clamoring for a good Rb for years and some of you don’t want to pay the man?! He’s been top 5 in most categories before sitting those couple games with a freak fracture to his hand. At one point, he was 4 yards shy of the best numbers in the league. 8-15 million, pay the man. We saw what happened when he was out

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Mack is averaging 4.4 yards per carry for 25th best average in the league behind a line that dominates in run blocking, wide receivers who block down field and a head coach who emphasizes the run. He's not an outstanding running back by any means.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

From Sportrac, active RB salaries:

1 - Ezekiel Elliott, DAL, 6 yrs, $90mm, $15mm avg, $50mm practical guaranteed

2 - Todd Gurley, LAR, 4 yrs, $57.5mm, $14.375mm avg, $45mm practical guaranteed

3 - Le'Veon Bell, NYJ, 4 yrs, $52.5mm, $13.125mm avg, $27mm practical guaranteed

4 - Devonta Freeman, ATL, 5 yrs, $41.25mm, $8.25 avg, $17.297mm practical guaranteed

5 - David Johnson, AZ, 3 yrs, $39mm, $13mm avg, $31.882mm practical guaranteed

6 - Saquan Barkley, NYG, 4 yrs, $31.194mm, $7.798mm avg, $31.194mm practical guaranteed

7 - Jerick McKinnon, SF, 4 yrs, $30mm, $7.5mm avg, $18mm practical guaranteed

8 - Leonard Fournette, JAX, 4 yrs, $27.150mm, $6.787mm avg, $27.150mm practical guaranteed

9 - Lamar Miller, HOU, 4 yrs, $26mm, $6.5mm avg, $14mm practical guaranteed

10 - Dion Lewis, TEN, 4 yrs, $19.8mm, $4.95mm avg, $8.25mm practical guaranteed

I say pay him 3 years, $25-30mm.  It'll be peanuts compared to what Melvin Gordon, Christian McCaffrey, Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, and Joe Mixon get when they get theirs.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

We’ve been clamoring for a good Rb for years and some of you don’t want to pay the man?! He’s been top 5 in most categories before sitting those couple games with a freak fracture to his hand. At one point, he was 4 yards shy of the best numbers in the league. 8-15 million, pay the man. We saw what happened when he was out

Lol come on now.. anyone could have high numbers behind this oline. I like Mack, I do want to pay him but he isn’t top 5 in his position. Bet Wilkins could have 1000 yards behind this oline also

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Lol come on now.. anyone could have high numbers behind this oline. I like Mack, I do want to pay him but he isn’t top 5 in his position. Bet Wilkins could have 1000 yards behind this oline also

Really? Because outside of one game, the other rbs didn’t get near the yards Mack does. Like I said, his numbers were up

there with the best until he got hurt

• Like 1

you guys are so ungrateful lol he’s easily been our best back since he was drafted ppl complained he bounced it outside too much his first year  then second year he can’t run up the middle he’s too fragile..now this year 1k yard rusher for the COLTS of all teams who used to go how often without a 1000yd rusher since addai and you guys wanna just up and let him go lmao  that man earned his pay 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fahlman said:

Mack is averaging 4.4 yards per carry for 25th best average in the league behind a line that dominates in run blocking, wide receivers who block down field and a head coach who emphasizes the run. He's not an outstanding running back by any means.

Is that amongst backs with 150+ carries? Sample size definitely matters 

Mack is replaceable. He’s had some good moments, but as some other posters mentioned, he’s not a 3rd down RB and gets nicked. 

Williams and Wilkins have shown the ability to run well behind the Colts O-Line as well. 

I wouldn’t get in a bidding war for Mack and think the Colts could find someone better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Mack is replaceable. He’s had some good moments, but as some other posters mentioned, he’s not a 3rd down RB and gets nicked. 

Williams and Wilkins have shown the ability to run well behind the Colts O-Line as well. 

I wouldn’t get in a bidding war for Mack and think the Colts could find someone better. 

I agree, I wouldn't give him top 5 money.   I'd like to see them sign him to a reasonable contract though.  He is pretty solid.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I agree, I wouldn't give him top 5 money.   I'd like to see them sign him to a reasonable contract though.  He is pretty solid.  

the whole point of have Williams and Wilkins on the team behind Mack is so that he didn't have to run on 3rd downs however Mack does need to show that he can go a full season injury free

Honestly I would say we should offer him about 7 M and that's about it.  

I don't care how many other teams drop tons of money on their RB.  It's ridiculous.  Their value is limited, there are too many decent RB's on the market.  And Mack while good is not a star.