Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what do the colts need for 2020

CR91

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe we have a strong team already. With Burrow, we'd be a SB contender IMO. The 2nd round pick wouldn't be much of a loss (we have the Redskins this year), we're receiving the 1st overall pick in that trade. So we're really only sacrificing two 1st rounders for what looks to be a can't miss QB. I honestly have the Andrew Luck 2012 vibe about Joe Burrow.

Cindy isn't giving up Burrow.   The end

On 12/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, lennymoore24 said:

What is cool is we all have our opinions and no one is more legit than anothers.  I totally disagree. I think Jordan Love is a very physically gifted player who makes terrible decisions. He is like a more athletic Jameis Winston.  Too turnover prone.  I think Fromm has real potential.  Rosen if we could get for like a 5th would be an interesting gamble.  And I would take Nick Foles over JB any day.  JB has had two years to show that he can't get it done.

You can throw out 2017 for JB.  

— He arrives the first week of September and has to learn the offense during the season.

— He’s the QB for a lousy team with very little talent. 

— He’s in a QB unfriendly system with  a poor coaching staff that knows it’s out after the season.

— He didn’t do a bad job.  Not his fault we only won 4 games.   The NFL community thought he did well. 

Unless we acquire a proven veteran this off-season, I’d expect JB to be our  starting QB next season.  If we draft a QB that player will need a redshirt year.  That leaves Brissett.

I hope he does well.  Nice problem to have. 

• Like 1

Any chance Ballard goes more defense minded again like 2018 draft? Luck decision moved the rebuild process back. Don't see them moving on from Brissett, have 4 decent RB's, a pile of WR's coming back from IR, O line is good with exception at RG. TE situation unknown. Leads me back to defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see another defense minded draft 

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

After getting torched all year, from good QB's, the CB position must be upgraded significantly. I would recommend buying FA CB's. Unfortunately, drafting CB's is a big Ballard weakness. Quincy Wilson and Rock Ya Sin are busts. 

Agree on Wilson. Rock is far from a bust yet, he's just a rookie still, and CB is one of the hardest positions to get acclimated too in the NFL. Have to give him 3 years. He's been average so far. Not every player will be an all-pro like Nelson and Leonard their 1st year. We have to remember that. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agree on Wilson. Rock is far from a bust yet, he's just a rookie still, and CB is one of the hardest positions to get acclimated too in the NFL. Have to give him 3 years. He's been average so far. Not every player will be an all-pro like Nelson and Leonard their 1st year. We have to remember that. :thmup:

Would you be OK with Ballard using another high draft pick on a CB, or would you agree it's time to buy a good one? 

4 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Would you be OK with Ballard using another high draft pick on a CB, or would you agree it's time to buy a good one? 

Probably want one in FA this year. It's a top-heavy CB class and we have other needs, so it's not worth it unless a 1st round CB falls to our 2nd rounder from the Redskins.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Like who?

I'd assume Byron Jones. Have to look at the list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

After getting torched all year, from good QB's, the CB position must be upgraded significantly. I would recommend buying FA CB's. Unfortunately, drafting CB's is a big Ballard weakness. Quincy Wilson and Rock Ya Sin are busts. 

I can't recall if it was Polian or Dungy that said (Paraphrasing) "Players make their biggest jump in capabilities during their 2nd year" ... So I am holding out hope for Rock Ya-Sin. After Brees went 29/30 and could have easily been 30/30 it was quite evident we need secondary help ... badly!

Chris Harris will most likely be available ... Maybe a bit past his prime though.

2 hours ago, BrickHead said:

I can't recall if it was Polian or Dungy that said (Paraphrasing) "Players make their biggest jump in capabilities during their 2nd year" ... So I am holding out hope for Rock Ya-Sin. After Brees went 29/30 and could have easily been 30/30 it was quite evident we need secondary help ... badly!

Chris Harris will most likely be available ... Maybe a bit past his prime though.

We didn't  get pressure  on brees

On 12/27/2019 at 3:27 PM, lennymoore24 said:

A new QB.  Jake Fromm, Nick Foles, or Josh Rosen.

I hope we get one from somewhere... I could definitely see it not breaking that we draft one with the first rounder..... And people will be losing their minds all night long on these forums ... God help us all if the second round goes by with TWO picks and still no new QB..... Lol.   Could absolutely be the case though.  

I don't feel like starting a non JB quarterback next year is a given at all.... But I can't shake the feeling that Ballard, Reich, and co. Are supremely misjudging how hard their job will be selling this fanbase on another year of this Pop Warner QB with a THREE second lapse from snap to throw.... All while only making one read.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

But who the heck would want Brissett? ...certainly not as a starter...maybe as a backup.

Moving Brisett would not be hard. He's already locked up to a cap friendly contract. Detroit perhaps? Brisett and Patrica have history and the Lions could use another QB after what happened with Stafford this year.

Just now, chad72 said:

Re-sign Castonzo, not going to find anyone better and maintain continuity. 

Get playmakers for interior DL, secondary and WR positions and draft a QB to groom.

I agree Costonzo would be hard to replace. But do you feel, if Anthony wants to be the highest paid OT in the league... Ballard should still sign him?

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I agree Costonzo would be hard to replace. But do you feel, if Anthony wants to be the highest paid OT in the league... Ballard should still sign him?

Wanting and getting is another.

A 3 or 4 year deal will maintain continuity. I feel they get it done, top priority to me. Can’t go in with a rookie for LT position.

Just now, chad72 said:

Wanting and getting is another.

A 3 or 4 year deal will maintain continuity. I feel they get it done, top priority to me.

It should be interesting.

Castonzo will be 32 years old next season.

If he wants too big of a contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see the franchise tag applied .

• Like 1

1.  Find ways to improve the pass rush.  Houston isn’t getting younger and one guy isn’t enough.

2.  Adjust the coverage.  I understand they want to play a cover-2 shell but you can’t play off every play and give up 8 yards anytime the other team wants it because you are scared to get beat deep.  Also they have to get out of the zone in the redzone.  I remember back in the pre-season Venturi said if the Colts were going to play zone in the redzone they were going to get picked apart to death down there and they did.

3.  Safeties need an overhaul outside of Willis.  Let Geathers walk.  I was really disappointed with Hooker this year.  Odom is just a guy.

4.  Special teams has to be cleaned up.  I’d really considered making a coaching change there.  How many times this year the did the Colts give up a big return, let a kick be blocked, commit a costly penalty, or had someone out of position or misfiled a kick costing field position or worse a turnover? Outside of Hines two returns this special teams was a huge disaster this year.  Even that you have to wonder why he wasn’t in there sooner with Rogers giving them nothing and in a couple of times making costly mistakes.  

5.  Bring back AC.  Franchise tag him if you have too.  I’d look for a new right guard if you can get one but or a true right tackle but that’s not a must.  

6.  You have to add another WR who can help now.  Not a project guy like Campbell was.  I am fine if they want to give Funch a do over on a one year deal.  I’d still consider adding another WR high.

7.  Add another young tightend end.  Might be a dark horse candit for an early pick as much as Franks offense loves tightends.

8.  They have to bring another QB in.  I am not crazy about any of the QBs that might be out there in free agency.  So most likely this will come have to come in the draft or trade and the later isn’t likely.  I hope the Colts take one high like at 13th overall or giving up one of the seconds to go up and get one if they need too.  Jacoby isn’t the answer but he might very well be a bridge next year.  I know that won’t be popular and I don’t like it but I could see them start the year with Jacoby and then go to the rookie at some point.

9.  Frank has to get better at adjustments.  Too often this year the Colts struggled in the second half of games.  Add into that the Colts really struggled over the back half of the year after teams got a really good look at what the Colts do well and don’t do well on film and figure out how to attack it.  Also, the Colts lost the second game to all three division foes this year after they saw them once.  Those are all signs of a team that doesn’t adjust well.

10.  Figure out a way to use the play action pass in the offense.  As good as the Colts run game is this should be deadly for the Colts and criminal that the Colts got zero big plays out of it this year.

11.  Be less predictable with the play calls.  Too many times this year the Colts telegraphed what they were going to do and other teams just slammed them.  The Colts need to be a little more creative on offense.  Also, stop doing things like on 3rd and one lining up with an empty backfield.  At least make them think a run could come.  

• Like 3