Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What happens if Luck un retires after we draft a top 5 QB?

Thunderbolt

I still think he might return, but he won’t return like that. Take him back if he wants back (before the draft), draft a flipping LT then play ball. If not and ya’ll draft a QB keep him on the bench until Brissett blows it. Not 0-8 or anything, but if they’re anywhere near .500 start him the first easy game you got around that time.

Top 5 QB like top 5 in the league? Top 5 in that particular draft? I don't see us getting a top 5 NFL QB anytime soon. In any case, Luck would likely be the better QB compared to who ever it is we trot out there, but it would depend on Ballard/Irsay and their faith in his long term commitment.

I'm pretty sure we won't ever have to worry about this though. Luck is done done.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I still think he might return, but he won’t return like that. Take him back if he wants back (before the draft), draft a flipping LT then play ball. If not and ya’ll draft a QB keep him on the bench until Brissett blows it. Not 0-8 or anything, but if they’re anywhere near .500 start him the first easy game you got around that time.

We have one of the best LT in the league. He hasn’t had a holding penalty or given up a sack this year.

8 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Draft another 1 and put him at Guard to heck with your star quarterback staying hurt and literally quitting finally.

we have one of the best lines in the league now.  lt, lg and center are all very good.  top 10 in rushing too, was top 5 before the running back got hurt 

we are 7-8 because of missed kicks, injured receivers and mediocre QB

• Like 1

We're getting off track here.  I think what the OP's question is, if we invested a top pick on a top QB in this draft, and then Luck up and un-retires, do we suddenly drop our interest in the QB we drafted just to run with Luck?  Or do we tell Luck that we're glad he want's to play ball and all, but we're going to give him his release so that he goes and does it with someone else because we just drafted a new guy.

My personal read on this situation is that if Luck wants to un-retire and play with the Colts, he would tell the Colts executives before the draft, not after.  I don't think he would wait until after we spent a top pick on a QB and then say, w-w-w-wait a minute fellas, I think I want to play!

I would think Luck would speak up before the draft.

But given that situation I would say you make them compete for the starting job, wait for a season or 2 and make sure that's working and than possibly trade the player that lost out in the competition.  

I think it would be a mistake to rush the loser of the competition off in a trade.  You want to trade them eventually but there is no rush.  

Another thing we would want to look at is if say the draft pick lost the competition, how much worse are they than Luck?  If say they are ALMOST as good as Luck but not quite, than maybe you hang on to Luck for a couple years so they can learn a little from him than you ship Luck because let's face it, the draft pick is 7 to 9 years younger.  

But honestly I think big picture here is that you don't make the mistake of rushing the trade.  It's tempting because there is always a team out there that is really good save for it's QB that would be willing to hand over multiple first rounders to get a QB that can play at that level.  

On 12/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, John Hammonds said:

We're getting off track here.  I think what the OP's question is, if we invested a top pick on a top QB in this draft, and then Luck up and un-retires, do we suddenly drop our interest in the QB we drafted just to run with Luck?  Or do we tell Luck that we're glad he want's to play ball and all, but we're going to give him his release so that he goes and does it with someone else because we just drafted a new guy.

None of the above....there's no way we reward him with a "release" after any sort of Brett Favre 2.0 double-mindedness.

Enough with the :censored2: parting gifts. 

On 12/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, John Hammonds said:

My personal read on this situation is that if Luck wants to un-retire and play with the Colts, he would tell the Colts executives before the draft, not after.  I don't think he would wait until after we spent a top pick on a QB and then say, w-w-w-wait a minute fellas, I think I want to play!

You're probably right.

I know this is heresy to some, but I don't want Luck back either way..... in fact, if it were up to me we would trade his rights NOW.... and here's the deal....

Today.... a 2020 2nd round pick regardless if he un-retires or not.

And then IF he proceeds to un-retire then the deal for that trade partner becomes....

For a non-AFC South team..... two additional 1st rounders.

For an AFC South team..... three additional 1st round picks and one additional 2nd round pick.... which would basically "poison pill" him out of the AFC South.

It's time to move on.... and I don't know if this "trade his rights" scenario would be kosher with the NFL..... but it'd be nice to at least get some draft capital out of it even if he stays retired.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:19 AM, dodsworth said:

Luck doesn't have the competitive spirit anymore. He is enjoying

his life playing with his child and wife.

People on here are still living in the past of an ex girlfriend that 

jilted them years ago. Move on and don't look back.

It’a ok to yearn once a year. Now those Packers fans are another story. Believing Favre was retiring was like believing their gf had a flat tire every night across the road their best friend’s house. Then when they finally dumped her they thought they had the right to tell her who to date lol!

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yeah i would too , ask a for a high pick and see if some sucker bites on that lol

Couldn't hurt, right?.... as long as there are conditional picks if he un-retires or they try to re-trade his rights.

Might as well try to get something. :dunno:

• Like 1

Here's my guess:

1) Irsay let Luck keep his 2019 salary so that the Colts could retain his rights in the occurrence that Luck decides to return.

2) Irsay fully intends to discuss a return to football and the Colts, with Luck.

3) Irsay recently stated that we have to take Luck at his word, that he's retired. This could mean that they have not spoken and Irsay is honoring Luck's initial decision to retire, but will talk with Luck sometime in the off-season.

-or-

Irsay has had recent discussions with Luck and Luck reiterated that his decision to retire was final. Hence, we have to take him at his word that he's retired.

I'm still trying to puzzle out what Luck's future plans are, as that could depend a lot on whether he returns. Is he going to be a professional couch sitter? Read books all his life? Travel the world? He can do all that when he's over 40! His love for football was genuine, and when he's too old to change his mind, I think he will look back and wish he had played more.

23 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm still trying to puzzle out what Luck's future plans are, as that could depend a lot on whether he returns. Is he going to be a professional couch sitter? Read books all his life? Travel the world? He can do all that when he's over 40! His love for football was genuine, and when he's too old to change his mind, I think he will look back and wish he had played more.

He has enough money to do whatever he wants for the next ten lifetimes..... He's right where his wife told him to be now, and that's most likely where she'll tell him to stay.  Might not be driven by her, but it seems awful convenient...and he's had some kind of mental duress, his dark place and all.... Snowboarding injuries can take a hellacious emotional toll on you apparently.