Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Fromm is our guy

I had some down time so I spent the last few days studying the QBs who would likely be available to the Colts to draft.  Just to give some background, I am a coach and have coached for over a decade.  After analyzing the QBs, their supporting casts, and results, I believe the best QB the Colts could draft in their spot is Jake Fromm.  Fromm is probably the smartest QB, has a very quick release, reads defenses well, and is mobile enough to slide in the pocket.  He has played winning football despite losing many players around him.  The issue with guys like Jordan Love or Jacob Eason is it is very rare that a player comes to the NFL and learns how to be accurate.  So I would not want the Colts to go with either of them.  So my hope is if we draft a QB, Jake Fromm is the guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

After analyzing the QBs, their supporting casts, and results, I believe the best QB the Colts could draft in their spot is Jake Fromm.

You do realize Fromm has arguably the best OL in the nation, 5 star wideouts, and is possibly the worst passing QB of the group. He hasn't had a game where he's completed more than 50% of his passes since the beginning of November. No wonder Justin Fields got out and away as fast he could. Kirby playing this guy and then dedicating more to the run game says a lot about Fromm.

• Like 4

I doubt it, but who knows... he sure has his selling points and you pointed to some of them(very smart, reads defenses well, doesn't make mistakes, very good accuracy in the short to intermediate range). I disagree with your assessment of Fromm's pocket movement and Love's accuracy, though. I think out of the top tier guys this year Fromm's pocket presence and movement are clearly the worst and by some margin. He's a statue in the pocket and makes very little effort to try to navigate the pocket and avoid obvious rushers. 

He's way too game manager-y for me and lacks the playmaking and arm strength of players like Herbert or Love. He has the edge on them in other areas, but I still prefer the Herberts and Love's of this draft. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

You do realize Fromm has arguably the best OL in the nation, 5 star wideouts, and is possibly the worst passing QB of the group. He hasn't had a game where he's completed more than 50% of his passes since the beginning of November. No wonder Justin Fields got out and away as fast he could. Kirby playing this guy and then dedicating more to the run game says a lot about Fromm.

Fromm is another Jacoby Brissett.

• Like 2

I think Fromm is getting overlooked and could be a pretty good pro but I'm not sure he is the right guy for the Colts.

While I think it's clear the Colts need to find a new QB eventually I don't think they need to replace Jacoby with whoever they see as the best in the 2020 draft. They can not draft a QB in 2020, address other areas, and continue to look in 2021. I'm not in the Jacoby is the future camp but also not in the we can't play with him and replace ASAP camp.

While Fromm has some attributes we wish Jacoby had in the end I'm not sure how many more games the Colts win with Fromm at his peak as a pro?

I guess that would be my question with Fromm...how many more wins is he worth than Jacoby? 

I have questions/reservations about the other QB possibilities (Love, Eason, Herbert) as well. I'm not sure what to make of the QBs yet.

• Like 2

We don't know what level of interest the Colts may (or may not) have in Fromm, but surely he can improve to some degree on his arm strength & pocket presence if he's willing to work at it.

It will be interesting to see how things play out this off-season. The Colts may not draft a QB early. Or at all. IMO they should.

3 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I had some down time so I spent the last few days studying the QBs who would likely be available to the Colts to draft.  Just to give some background, I am a coach and have coached for over a decade.  After analyzing the QBs, their supporting casts, and results, I believe the best QB the Colts could draft in their spot is Jake Fromm.  Fromm is probably the smartest QB, has a very quick release, reads defenses well, and is mobile enough to slide in the pocket.  He has played winning football despite losing many players around him.  The issue with guys like Jordan Love or Jacob Eason is it is very rare that a player comes to the NFL and learns how to be accurate.  So I would not want the Colts to go with either of them.  So my hope is if we draft a QB, Jake Fromm is the guy.

Id take Eason over Fromm anyday

Comparing him to Brissett is completely off base, IMHO.  Fromm is a very heady QB.  He goes through his progressions well and has a quick throwing motion.  Brissett locks onto receivers very quickly and doesn't progress through reads.  I would say Fromm is more like Alex Smith.  But remember that Alex Smith has been a much better QB than Jacoby Brissett ever was. 

Fromm beat out two 5 star recruits who are now excelling at other schools.  He has won a lot of big games against teams more talented.  I am not saying he is Andrew Luck, but for where we will draft, I think he is the best beat.  Eason and Love are too inconsistent.

9 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Oh cool, where do you coach? I coached a 5th and 6th grade team once, I’m super qualified to evaluate QB’s too.

• Like 1

Fromm's ceiling is Alex Smith. Smart with the ball but is not going to win you any shootouts. He is a game manager and I don't believe he will fit this team well. He is a good fit for a team that will consistently have a top 5 defense like Minnesota or the Pats. We don't have a team that can win games playing a conservative offense which is why we are in the QB market in the first place. The Jacoby comp is a very good one. If you remember the beginning of the season he was very safe with the ball and was consistent with short routes and high completion ratings and relied heavily on running the ball. Then teams started stacking the box on us and playing very short tight defenses on us taking away the short game forcing Jacoby to start throwing deep which for as much of a cannon he has, his accuracy is terrible on the deep ball regardless of what receivers are on the field. We will be in the exact same boat with Fromm as we are with Jacoby so definitely a hard pass.

23 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Just to point something out.  Love's problems arn't accuracy, far from it.  Love's problems are decision making, going through progressions, looking off safeties etc.  He also has a noted problem of "trying to play hero ball"   Which from I understand is that he doesn't get the ball out quickly once he has an open receiver but holds the ball hoping for someone deeper to get open.  

Love and Fromm are kind of the polar opposites.  Fromm's really good at all the mental stuff to being a quarterback, he can deliver an accurate ball but his arm isn't really impressive.  So his ceiling is kind of low.  

Love on the other hand has an extremely high ceiling and can make incredible throws, but he needs to work on all of the mental portions of the game.  

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Just to point something out.  Love's problems arn't accuracy, far from it.  Love's problems are decision making, going through progressions, looking off safeties etc.  He also has a noted problem of "trying to play hero ball"   Which from I understand is that he doesn't get the ball out quickly once he has an open receiver but holds the ball hoping for someone deeper to get open.  

His "hero ball" is more along the lines of trying to fit balls into tight windows that are not there, throwing it into double coverage. Trying to make some way too ambitious throws, etc. rather than throwing the ball away.  

Love and Fromm are kind of the polar opposites.  Fromm's really good at all the mental stuff to being a quarterback, he can deliver an accurate ball but his arm isn't really impressive.  So his ceiling is kind of low.  

Love on the other hand has an extremely high ceiling and can make incredible throws, but he needs to work on all of the mental portions of the game.  

Agree with the assessment of them being complete opposites in their strengths and weaknesses. With the exception of accuracy, where I think both are accurate... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waka waka said:

since everyone here bats 1000% and no one is ever wrong... please tell me how the labels people have been using for QB taken in the last few drafts have worked out. How many got guys completely wrong?

I don't think anyone's claiming to never be wrong on this.  

In terms of QB prospects

2019 - I didn't really like any of the prospects that year.

2018 - I liked Josh Rosen so that is an obvious miss for me.  At the same time I specifically didn't like Josh Allen.  My reasoning was that I'm skeptical of "raw" prospects.  I had a further reasoning that I watched Josh Allen play with Wyoming against Iowa (whom I'm a fan of) and he completely and utterly sucked.  I couldn't believe that a couple months later they where talking about him in the first round.  I was of mixed mind about Lamar Jackson.  I was impressed that he seemed to keep them in games that Louisville had no business being competitive in.  At the same time his main selling point was his running, which I tend to be skeptical of.  Feels to me that when you can run like that you get attached to making your first read and then running because that's what works for you, and it promptly stops working in the NFL.  Jackson might be a bit better passer than that, and what he's doing seems to be working thus far.  That said I'm not convinced.  I'm not convinced that you can run him around like that and have him survive long term.  

2017 - I specifically thought Watson was the best QB in that draft.  I was off by one as he was the 2nd best.  I didn't like Trubinski. My reasoning is that I am skeptical of quarterbacks that no one's even heard of until this year and they have one good year.  In my view that doesn't give scouts much time to find their weaknesses while a guy who's been on the radar for 2 or more years is someone who scouts have had time to find their weaknesses.  On top of that a guy who's on the radar for that long has the pressure of walking up to the line of scrimmage in college knowing that they are playing for millions.  If they can deliver under that pressure, I see that as a positive.

2016 - I remember liking Goff over Wentz.  But I was impressed by Wentz's domination of the FCS.  Both have been fine, but I would say in the NFL I would probably take Wentz over Goff.  

2015 - I didn't like Winston because his INT's kept going up and because he seemed to have issues with behaving himself which is not something you want as the face of your franchise.

2014 - I remember specifically not liking Manziel due to immaturity.  

2013 - I can't say I ever felt convinced by any of the QB's.  

2012 - I liked Luck, didn't like RG3 because he was too much of a running QB.  I will note that I liked Wilson and didn't understand why he wasn't getting more press.  I watched him play for Wisconsin against Iowa and he was out there making NFL throw after NFL throw and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting more press.  

• Like 1

This is a rare post where everyone is right. Draft prospects are always an opinion until it turns into fact. I’m in the Love camp and can’t explain exactly why except to say watching him he seems to have IT, whatever IT is. I just hope CB isn’t basing his opinion like I am.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vexed said:

This is a rare post where everyone is right. Draft prospects are always an opinion until it turns into fact. I’m in the Love camp and can’t explain exactly why except to say watching him he seems to have IT, whatever IT is. I just hope CB isn’t basing his opinion like I am.

Yes. This is why I like him a lot too. You can’t  teach the IT FACTOR. Watching him you can see he has it.

As fans all we see is them play on the field. We aren’t going to know what happens in interviews ect. So we only have a small piece of why or why not Ballard may of May not draft someone.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 11:48 AM, lennymoore24 said:

I agree. When u listen to Reich talks, he values accuracy over everything. It is funny how everyone wants to get rid of JB because he is inaccurate, locks on to his target or does not go through his progressions.  Yet those same polsters want to draft a qb such as Love who has many of the same faults.  I feel that Reich would love Fromm. 

• Like 1

In my opinion we already have a guy on the roster who is better than Fromm, Love, Herbert, Tua, or anyone else available in this years draft. As long as Ballard is drafting we are never going to be in position to draft top 5 again(and the only reason we were no. 3 in 2018 was Luck didn't play). Three years with Ballard and without Luck we were around .500 this year(and probably should have been better). I can't see drafting a qb this year. Dt, og, db, wr should be the main focus of this years draft.

21 hours ago, waka waka said:

since everyone here bats 1000% and no one is ever wrong... please tell me how the labels people have been using for QB taken in the last few drafts have worked out. How many got guys completely wrong?

I'm never wrong!!

I knew Tom Brady would win 6 Super Bowls the minute he left the delivery room at birth. 

body name GIF

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I'm never wrong!!

I knew Tom Brady would win 6 Super Bowls the minute he left the delivery room at birth. 

body name GIF

I understand you’re being Facetious, but as I read through this post, I kept thinking 1. How can viewpoints of individuals be so polar opposite at times ie:he is so accurate versus he isn’t. 2. What were the comparables with Tom Brady or a Russell Wilson when they came out and fell in the draft? 

I think Wilson was mainly his size and that he played in the big ten perhaps. I’m intrigued by how professional scouts could miss so horrendously bad on picking Brady in the 6th round and now he holds many of the nfl records over his career. Was Brady smart, good reader of defenses, well through progressions, have a strong arm, make good decisions? What caused his fall yet allow to to be in the consideration for GOAT above a highly pedigreed Manning? 

I would like to think if you have the football smarts, the accuracy to throw an intermediate ball consistently, capable of reading a pro style defense, can get through progressions well and make the proper decisions at a high rate, I think your going to do well in the nfl. Like someone else said, you can increase arm strength. Manning wasn’t thought to have that, remember all the heated fan talk with taking Leaf because he could throw 80 yards on a rope and manning had balls that floated for 40? I do. What Manning lacked in strength he made up for in smarts until he developed the arm over a few seasons. Leaf had such an arm but you don’t build smarts as well as muscle. I will take on the guy who needs to develop more strength and deep ball throws over a guy who can’t read defenses but sure is strong. 

I don’t know who this ideal QB is for this year, I know it’s not JB, he hasn’t shown many of the qualities an elite starter is, and I’m not calling for a GOAT elite starter, just a guy you can rest each week knowing your team is in good hands. Would really like to see the comparisons for those Brady’s and Wilson evaluation misses over the current crop of guys.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, waka waka said:

Thats the cool thing with an OPINON board......

We give an opinion

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong....

I had high hopes for JB to step up.....  I was wrong

Im not losing sleep over it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I understand you’re being Facetious, but as I read through this post, I kept thinking 1. How can viewpoints of individuals be so polar opposite at times ie:he is so accurate versus he isn’t. 2. What were the comparables with Tom Brady or a Russell Wilson when they came out and fell in the draft? 

I think Wilson was mainly his size and that he played in the big ten perhaps. I’m intrigued by how professional scouts could miss so horrendously bad on picking Brady in the 6th round and now he holds many of the nfl records over his career. Was Brady smart, good reader of defenses, well through progressions, have a strong arm, make good decisions? What caused his fall yet allow to to be in the consideration for GOAT above a highly pedigreed Manning? 

I would like to think if you have the football smarts, the accuracy to throw an intermediate ball consistently, capable of reading a pro style defense, can get through progressions well and make the proper decisions at a high rate, I think your going to do well in the nfl. Like someone else said, you can increase arm strength. Manning wasn’t thought to have that, remember all the heated fan talk with taking Leaf because he could throw 80 yards on a rope and manning had balls that floated for 40? I do. What Manning lacked in strength he made up for in smarts until he developed the arm over a few seasons. Leaf had such an arm but you don’t build smarts as well as muscle. I will take on the guy who needs to develop more strength and deep ball throws over a guy who can’t read defenses but sure is strong. 

I don’t know who this ideal QB is for this year, I know it’s not JB, he hasn’t shown many of the qualities an elite starter is, and I’m not calling for a GOAT elite starter, just a guy you can rest each week knowing your team is in good hands. Would really like to see the comparisons for those Brady’s and Wilson evaluation misses over the current crop of guys.  

Great points.... and precisely the reason why I’m nervous about Love as a our QB selection.... REGARDLESS of the round.

When a guy’s football IQ and instincts are not his calling card..... ultimately, NFL DCs will figure it out.... as we saw with Jacoby this season. And I was pulling for him too.

So I totally agree..... we need to be REALLY careful about wanting a 1st round pick spent on a QB who is lacking in that area.

• Like 3

On 12/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, ar7 said:

I have questions/reservations about the other QB possibilities (Love, Eason, Herbert) as well. I'm not sure what to make of the QBs yet.

This is how I feel after watching these QBs the last few days.  Honestly, I don’t think Love, Eason, or Fromm will be any better than Brissett was this year.  Maybe we Colt fans have collectively forgotten how hard it is to find a franchise QB.  I think maybe we add a mid- to late-round guy like Jamie Newman of Wake Forest or Anthony Gordon of Wazzu, and let him and Kelly battle it out for fallback option if Brissett doesn’t look like he did in the first seven games...

If we cannot suck enough for Trevor Lawrence, I'd keep a close eye on Tanner Morgan of Minnesota, his improvement in consecutive years is up there with Joe Burrow, Russell Wilson, RG III and Kerry Collins.

His emergence is dramatic enough to be noticed:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/tanner-morgans-emergence-is-reaching-historic-proportions-for-gophers

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we cannot suck enough for Trevor Lawrence, I'd keep a close eye on Tanner Morgan of Minnesota, his improvement in consecutive years is up there with Joe Burrow, Russell Wilson, RG III and Kerry Collins.

His emergence is dramatic enough to be noticed:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/tanner-morgans-emergence-is-reaching-historic-proportions-for-gophers

I'm going to watch a lot of Kyle Trask next season. Big kid, big arm, mobile, and efficient. I think he could end up being the Joe Burrow of this year, next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Great points.... and precisely the reason why I’m nervous about Love as a our QB selection.... REGARDLESS of the round.

When a guy’s football IQ and instincts are not his calling card..... ultimately, NFL DCs will figure it out.... as we saw with Jacoby this season. And I was pulling for him too.

So I totally agree..... we need to be REALLY careful about wanting a 1st round pick spent on a QB who is lacking in that area.

I really thought we all were going to love JB. I thought he presented excellent poise and moved so well inside the pocket. Had just enough speed to get the 3rd and 6 when he had an opening to do so. He also was so much better than any other QB, including big strong Luck, at getting the QB sneak. In fact, when he got here, I thought he had a lot of Brady looking qualities and was extremely excited this season to see what’s he had gained in his time here. Then we seen him toss the ball and incapable of making quick decisions or scan the field. I’m not sure at this stage of the career, you can coach that aspect of scanning and quick deciphering is possible. He is a perfect match to the Colts in every other way though. Really wanted to see him succeed here. Now I’m ready to move on. 

• Like 1

Fromm reminds me a little of Drew Brees, except that Brees ran a really passing-friendly offense at Purdue. 

Watching Fromm, I feel like he throws off his back foot, all arm and doesn't step through on a lot of his throws. I think he could be a candidate for reworking his throwing motion if he comes out for the draft. If he stepped through, i think it improve his accuracy and put another 5 yards on his deep throws.