Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Beating Jacksonville Means


Smonroe

Recommended Posts

If the Texans beat the Titans, and we beat the Jags - we’ll have a second place schedule.  

 

This means we’d play Buffalo and Oakland instead of the Jets and Denver.  
 

I’m not suggesting we should tank, I want to win every game.  
 

But, to me since the game is meaningless, it would be a perfect opportunity to play Kelly.  If he’s good, that’s a bonus.  If we lose, we get an easier schedule next season. Not to mention maybe one pick higher in the draft.  Seems like a no brainer, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every season's different. At the start of this season, would you have called Buff/Oak a much tougher slate than NYJ/Denv?

 

The Broncos are going to be pretty good next year, the Jets thumped Luck and co. The Raiders played the Colts hard even under Luck and then thumped Brissett. Buffalo are good. The point is, tanking is a bad idea. You don't know what next season will bring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I'd like to see Kelly but not because I want to lose. I think we'd be as good or better.

 

Brissett is not a good QB. Kelly? Who knows...we've seen two Colts QBs this season who've looked like backups. Nothing says the third guy will be any better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Brissett is not a good QB. Kelly? Who knows...we've seen two Colts QBs this season who've looked like backups. Nothing says the third guy will be any better.

But we've reached the point that we might as well see what the young guy has. It's a meaningless game for both sides, so it's pretty much a preseason game anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

If the Texans beat the Titans, and we beat the Jags - we’ll have a second place schedule.  

 

This means we’d play Buffalo and Oakland instead of the Jets and Denver.  
 

I’m not suggesting we should tank, I want to win every game.  
 

But, to me since the game is meaningless, it would be a perfect opportunity to play Kelly.  If he’s good, that’s a bonus.  If we lose, we get an easier schedule next season. Not to mention maybe one pick higher in the draft.  Seems like a no brainer, right?

 

First off Kelly is not playing.

 

and for what it's worth...

Tenn is a 5 point favorite on the road at Houston.

Indy is a 3 1/2 point favorite on the road at Jacksonville.

So if Vegas is right:  both Titans win and Colts win

Leaving us still with the 3rd place schedule. and middle of the round draft placement.

 

Furthermore,  if  KC wins their 1:00 game (at home vs the Chargers),

I believe the Texans are set with the 4 seed, and their own game then becomes meaningless, 

Houston would likely rest most of their starters in the 4:00 game vs the Titans.

 

So assuming KC wins, then it's likely Tenn wins.

However, if KC gets upset by the Chargers, then the Titans may have a much harder matchup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

If the Colts are planning on starting JB next season, in would be counter productive to pull him after the team just won a big game. It would send all sorts of mixed messages to JB, CK, and the rest of the team. 

 

 

I really would love to see Kelly play as I think Brissett is a bottom tier QB . He's a perfect "bridge" guy. Chances are he is the starter in 2020. For that reason , I think the same as you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I readily admit I'd like to see what Kelly can do.  And honestly, I wouldn't be all that disappointed if JB comes down with a (ahem..) bad cold. 

 

But I still feel you always try to win.  And you never know who's going to be good or bad next year. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Can someone throw this in the Play Kelly mega merge thread?


I should have left that last part out.  It was just my opinion.  I didn’t mean to start another ‘Start Kelly!’ Debate.   What I really wanted to point out was that this game really only means a possible difference in our schedule next year.  
 

The Raiders/Broncos choice is a wash.  But I think the Bills are a much better team than the Jets now and will continue that way next year.  
 

All that said, the game really means very little in the greater scheme of things.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


I should have left that last part out.  It was just my opinion.  I didn’t mean to start another ‘Start Kelly!’ Debate.   What I really wanted to point out was that this game really only means a possible difference in our schedule next year.  
 

The Raiders/Broncos choice is a wash.  But I think the Bills are a much better team than the Jets now and will continue that way next year.  
 

All that said, the game really means very little in the greater scheme of things.  

Just messin with ya.

you are right. does affect draft position too.

 

I bet it does help the players’ spirit going into the offseason.

Its better than having the taste of getting beat all off-season.

Ending on a high, so to speak. 
 

In the end, doesnt mean much, tho i did see we could help the Steelers if we win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheMiz said:

But we've reached the point that we might as well see what the young guy has. It's a meaningless game for both sides, so it's pretty much a preseason game anyway

 

They're trying to build a certain culture with their team. Tanking, and 'seeing' what you have in others isn't part of it. You'll get to see Kelly next preseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

 The point is, tanking is a bad idea.  

 

What does tanking mean? Is it a season long process (bad) or is it just not giving maximum effort on week 17 (indifferent) when both teams are eliminated from the playoffs? Because this game while not 100% totally meaningless for the future, it is meaningless on Sunday and improving draft stock isn't a bad idea, it'd be a good thing to have improved draft stock given the QB situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

 

They're trying to build a certain culture with their team. Tanking, and 'seeing' what you have in others isn't part of it. You'll get to see Kelly next preseason.

Stupid at that point if I was coaching this team I would have pulled the trigger and benched Brisset 3 weeks ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some might think I am crazy but I think we could get a 3rd round pick for JB if Ballard wanted to trade him and draft another QB. There a few GM's and coaches that will look at his leadership and factor in he is still young, also those same teams may desperate for a QB. It is not like they would be giving us a 1st or a 2nd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 10:07 PM, Four2itus said:

If the Colts are planning on starting JB next season, in would be counter productive to pull him after the team just won a big game. It would send all sorts of mixed messages to JB, CK, and the rest of the team. 

Won a big game.   I don't think beating Carolina is winning a big game.   It was basically meaningless.  Brissett didn't play well either.   I think the message it could send is that Brissett has to improve his game in the offseason.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At 15-19

 

There should be a very good WR, DT, or OT available

 

If we choose to not move, we should just take BPA of these 3 groups

 

I think Love will show very well on individual drills that makes pro scouts drool

 

He may go in top 15 ahead of us

 

It doesnt make him a blue chip...... 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree ........MPStack has been telling people that JB is worth a 2nd or 3rd.........

 

Can you believe that????? !!!

 

Sheeze  

 

 

:)


Those Jacoby threads going back about 1.5 years ago, would be funny to look at now! They’d probably sway in my favor! :banana:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MPStack said:


Those Jacoby threads going back about 1.5 years ago, would be funny to look at now! They’d probably sway in my favor! :banana:

 

 

You may be right there.........

 

I have broken in to the Colts forum server and deleted my love of JB Threads......  :)

 

I think somebody HACKED my account.......  I didnt write those!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...