Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly wants to stay here long term

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Just now, AwesomeAustin said:

Ballard was smart to save cap space.  That offensive line is about to get expensive. That’s a great thing. 

Yep. AC and Kelly will both sign after the season. Then you have Nelson after next season. At least two of them will be the highest paid at their position. AC might too. I think you can front load AC and Kelly some so when Nelson signs it won’t be such a huge hit. Kelly will probably get a 5 year extension and AC three or four.

25 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Would AC command top dollar? Would think his age is working against him.

Also, to stay on topic, Ryan Kelly is awesome and should be locked up for as long as possible...even though he oddly gets no love around here

AC is definitely getting big $ ... if the Colts didn't lock him up he would have offers immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AC shouldn't increase our cap hit too much.  He's not coming off a rookie salary.  He might get a couple million more just because of the increase in market.  But he's also aging.  I'd say he gets a shorter contract worth about 12 to 13 million per season.  

Nelson we have some years on.  He just finished his 2nd year.  He's on a 4 year contract with a 5th year option.  No hurry on extending him.  Given that it will be in 2 or 3 years and current guard contracts this one will probably cost about 16 to 17 million a year when we do sign it.  

Kelly is a guy we need to extend.  I would say he's going to cost about 11 million per year.  That currently would tie him for 3rd among center contracts.  He's good but never been a pro-bowler or anything like that.  Fortunately centers seem to be cheap with the highest paid currently at 11.25 M.  

Glow is already on a vet contract.

Smith is probably the next OL we will have to sign.  He will probably cost about 9 million.  Right tackle contracts are pretty top loaded and Smith isn't a top right tackle.

Kelly will likely stay with the Colts. However, he missed 13 

/32 games (between last season the season before)...so since Ballard got here...Kelly has missed 30% of the games.

That will possibly be taken into consideration. I think a 4-year deal (buying out his option year) for $44M should suffice. He gets paid like a top C...but Colts don’t break the bank. 

42 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

AC shouldn't increase our cap hit too much.  He's not coming off a rookie salary.  He might get a couple million more just because of the increase in market.  But he's also aging.  I'd say he gets a shorter contract worth about 12 to 13 million per season.  

Nelson we have some years on.  He just finished his 2nd year.  He's on a 4 year contract with a 5th year option.  No hurry on extending him.  Given that it will be in 2 or 3 years and current guard contracts this one will probably cost about 16 to 17 million a year when we do sign it.  

Kelly is a guy we need to extend.  I would say he's going to cost about 11 million per year.  That currently would tie him for 3rd among center contracts.  He's good but never been a pro-bowler or anything like that.  Fortunately centers seem to be cheap with the highest paid currently at 11.25 M.  

Glow is already on a vet contract.

Smith is probably the next OL we will have to sign.  He will probably cost about 9 million.  Right tackle contracts are pretty top loaded and Smith isn't a top right tackle.

I forgot about Smith. He will be due around the same time as Nelson. That is going to be one expensive oline.  He will probably get paid about top ten RT money.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, Chloe6124 said:

I forgot about Smith. He will be due around the same time as Nelson. That is going to be one expensive oline.  He will probably get paid about top ten RT money.

Probably wont' be as bad as you think.  

AC currently earning 11 million this year.  I figure he might get 2 or 3 years at 13 million.  So +2 Mil

Nelson is at 5.5 M, I figure he'll be at 16.  So plus 10.5 Mil

Kelly is at 3.3 M this year I figure he'll be at 11M so + 7.7 Mil

Glow will stay where he is.

Smith is at 1.6 M I figure he'll be at 9M so + 7.4

Grand total is 27.6 M more than we are paying now. 

The other thing to remember is with 2 more years plus the 5th year option on Nelson, by the time Nelson gets his big money contract, AC and Glow for that matter might be gone and replaced by rookies.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

AC currently earning 11 million this year.  I figure he might get 2 or 3 years at 13 million.  So +2 Mil

The other thing to remember is with 2 more years plus the 5th year option on Nelson, by the time Nelson gets his big money contract, AC and Glow for that matter might be gone and replaced by rookies.  

Still will be a very expensive O-line.   Worth every penny though.   Hopefully they will be protecting a new QB.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Don’t forget about signing bonuses. 

Center is the position that all the rest of the offense flows out from.  It's the most underrated position in football in that it's hard to appreciate really good center play until you suddenly don't have it.

We have a great centerman, and that helps the entire rest of our offense be as productive as it can be.  I'm fine with making Ryan Kelly happy to stay in Indy.  He's a keeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't quite know how I feel about Kelly. When he was selected so highly in the draft he was touted as a perennial pro-bowler but he hasn't quite lived up to that standard.

I think hes solid and don't really have any criticism of him but $10m+ a year for a center who hasn't quite hit the heights he was supposed to do doesn't half feel like a lot.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ryan Kelly is one of the best centers in the league. He would have a new team in about one second.

The only thing I'd add to that is that 99% chance it would be the Patriots that bagged him.  David Andrews has blood clot problems and his career may be over.

The last thing we need to be doing is helping the rich get richer.

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The only thing I'd add to that is that 99% chance it would be the Patriots that bagged him.  David Andrews has blood clot problems and his career may be over.

The last thing we need to be doing is helping the rich get richer.

I can't think of the Patriots ever paying big money for a center? Don't see that coming.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, Imgrandojji said:

Center is the position that all the rest of the offense flows out from.  It's the most underrated position in football in that it's hard to appreciate really good center play until you suddenly don't have it.

We have a great centerman, and that helps the entire rest of our offense be as productive as it can be.  I'm fine with making Ryan Kelly happy to stay in Indy.  He's a keeper.

Oh the Satele days.  There was a reason we spent a first rounder on a Center.  We DESPERATELY needed it.  I'm with you.  Pay him what it takes to make him happy.  Just make sure we have a quality backup in case the injury bug keeps stalking him.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I think it’s almost a sure thing AC will be gone by the time they get to Nelson.  Glow is young but could also be replaced with another rookie if the right guy comes along.  

Like you said by the time they have to extend Nelson and Smith I don’t think it’s going to be that bad because they will have other guys who are on rookie contracts or fairly cheap deals like Glow.  Kelly will have a nice contract but they can live with that.  This is why Ballard has been saving his money.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s almost a sure thing AC will be gone by the time they get to Nelson.  Glow is young but could also be replaced with another rookie if the right guy comes along.  

Like you said by the time they have to extend Nelson and Smith I don’t think it’s going to be that bad because they will have other guys who are on rookie contracts or fairly cheap deals like Glow.  Kelly will have a nice contract but they can live with that.  This is why Ballard has been saving his money.

You may be right about your first sentence, but I wouldn’t bet a nickel that it’s “almost a sure thing” that he’ll be gone as soon as you think.

AC is going to ask for 5 years.  If he gets it, the “out” will be after 3 years. 
If he gets 4 years the out will likely be after 2-3 years.  2 or 3 is the question.

I don’t see AC settling for 3 years. The out would be at 2 years.  But AC has the leverage here, so I think a contract this short is possible but not likely. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right about your first sentence, but I wouldn’t bet a nickel that it’s “almost a sure thing” that he’ll be gone as soon as you think.

AC is going to ask for 5 years.  If he gets it, the “out” will be after 3 years. 
If he gets 4 years the out will likely be after 2-3 years.  2 or 3 is the question.

I don’t see AC settling for 3 years. The out would be at 2 years.  But AC has the leverage here, so I think a contract this short is possible but not likely. 

^^^ agree

Whether he plays longer than three years or not the contract will be longer than that (at least 4 if not 5) with an out for the Colts after ~2-3 yrs. If the Colts don't give it to him another team will be glad to, and I think Ballard will offer him a solid contract. I know some posters here like to bag on him, but he is a solid above average LT, and those aren't as replaceable as some on here like to believe. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

It is amazing with a pretty good offensive line, better than average running backs, a kick returner putting up 14 points, a linebacker getting pick sixes and a Quarterback that struggles to keep his head above water. what gives?

What gives when you cant stay on the threads title? 

Don't we have enough bash Brissett threads already? 

On 12/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, shastamasta said:

Kelly will likely stay with the Colts. However, he missed 13 

/32 games (between last season the season before)...so since Ballard got here...Kelly has missed 30% of the games.

That will possibly be taken into consideration. I think a 4-year deal (buying out his option year) for $44M should suffice. He gets paid like a top C...but Colts don’t break the bank. 

I highly doubt Kelly will be penalized for being injured. 

3 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

You see the patriots signing him for big money coming? 

No.  Why should I?   I expect the Colts to re-sign him long term.   Ballard has already exercised his right to give Kelly the 5th year option on his contract.   That’s typically a sign that we’re happy with the player and intend to sign him to a long term deal.

Do you think I’m missing something?  (A loaded question, I know!).  

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Left tackles just don’t last that long.  By the time they have to pay Nelson AC would be going into his 12th season.  That’s pretty long for a left tackle.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Left tackles just don’t last that long.  By the time they have to pay Nelson AC would be going into his 12th season.  That’s pretty long for a left tackle.

That IS pretty long for a left tackle,  no question.

But....

Working in AC’s favor is that he does not have a history of injuries...   either big or small.   When he missed 5 games with a hamstring last year,  I think that might have been his longest stretch of missed games.   That’s a good sign for a career that might last longer than most...

While I trust Ballard to make the right call, I also expect AC to play hardball as he tries to get the most he can on his last big contract.   I don’t expect CB to let AC test the market and bring him an offer to match or too.   The risk would be too great....

No real way to know...   we are all guessing in this one.