Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nice Game

CS Coltsfan

This is coaching. Period. When Luck retires we have no pressure to win. Coaches pull off 5-2 and beat KC. Now they are expected to win. They go 1-6. Today. No pressure. Can't make playoffs. Lo and behold. They look like they did at 5-2. Reich flat out can't coach at all. Has no clue how to manage. He's lost if there is any pressure or meaning to game. This game made me mad and it should every Colts fan. It should also worry u about the Colts future. This is it with Reich. Mediocre. Good when no pressure. As today. Butt cheeks clinched tight when something on the line. He's awful under pressure. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ratking said:

Yes your right with first round picks like Hooker, Ballard has been knocking it out of the park with his picks. 

Whatever your view on Hooker is, he was viewed as a clear top 10 talent in that class and we got him at a steal. He's had bad injury luck but has shown the ability to be a game changer. He hasn't had his best year, but he's nowhere close to a bust or anything.

His only other first round pick is All Pro Quentin Nelson (while also picking up 3 additional picks)

I'll take a 50% All Pro hit rate in the first round. If that's not good enough for you, I think it's clearly a you problem rather than a Ballard problem. (Clearly that avg isn't sustainable, but saying you're unhappy with the current results is laughable) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ratking said:

Enjoy your 8-8 seasons buddy. Picking a lineman with no game change ability and an injury riddled safety doesn't strike me as a winning formula. 

8-8 with a qb avg around 200 yds passing per game is a testament, not an idictment, in my view. But ok, you stay big mad about drafting a player who became top 3 in the league at his position in a single year while simultaneously accumulating 3 additional 2nd round picks. Some people just can't be pleased, I guess.

• Like 1

You can play bend don’t break against bad teams with bad QBs.  But our D is not very good.  And i don’t mean just the players, I’m including the coaching. 

Obviously, you can play that D and win a game against the Panthers.  I’m talking about how the D scheme was against decent, and even mediocre teams.  That can’t continue if we ever want to become contenders. 

Oh, we need a QB in the future.  I’m sure that’s pretty obvious too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

8-8 with a qb avg around 200 yds passing per game is a testament, not an idictment, in my view. But ok, you stay big mad about drafting a player who became top 3 in the league at his position in a single year while simultaneously accumulating 3 additional 2nd round picks. Some people just can't be pleased, I guess.

Nelson is a fine player. So is Darius. 

Drafting two good players doesn't mean we should forget about Ballard's inability to sign or draft impact skill position players. The NFL is a throwing /scoring league. 

Fountain, Cain, Campbell, funchess type guys aren't going to cut it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ratking said:

Drafting two good players doesn't mean we should forget about Ballard's inability to sign or draft impact skill position players. The NFL is a throwing /scoring league. 

I'd like some impact WR too. I'd agree we haven't been good in finding those, ever since TY. That doesn't mean the best prospect available is going to be a WR or that we should draft a WR in the first until we hit. He spent a 2nd rd pick on Parris, which majority of this board loved. He didn't have injury problems at OSU.  Can't really blame Ballard for injuries, can you?

There's other positions, and it's a common and wideley accepted ideology in the NFL that games are won in the trenches. Getting a Big Q is an absolute home run.

This year was tough on us from your scoring/throwing perspective because our QB retired just before the regular season. Ballard now has to find "his" QB. Being mad about the throwing ability of this team before Ballard even has a chance to address the position seems a little unreasonable, doesn't it? There's no way he was going to spend big capitol on the position when we had Luck. The timing of the retirement left Ballard searching among scraps for Jacoby's backup. And before this season, Jacoby was viewed as one of the top backups in the league. Ballard now has to roll with the punches. Why not sit back and enjoy seeing what he does about it, now that he has a chance to "put his stamp" on the position?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I'd like some impact WR too. I'd agree we haven't been good in finding those, ever since TY. That doesn't mean the best prospect available is going to be a WR or that we should draft a WR in the first until we hit. He spent a 2nd rd pick on Parris, which majority of this board loved. He didn't have injury problems at OSU.  Can't really blame Ballard for injuries, can you?

There's other positions, and it's a common and wideley accepted ideology in the NFL that games are won in the trenches. Getting a Big Q is an absolute home run.

This year was tough on us from your scoring/throwing perspective because our QB retired just before the regular season. Ballard now has to find "his" QB. Being mad about the throwing ability of this team before Ballard even has a chance to address the position seems a little unreasonable, doesn't it? There's no way he was going to spend big capitol on the position when we had Luck. The timing of the retirement left Ballard searching among scraps for Jacoby's backup. And before this season, Jacoby was viewed as one of the top backups in the league. Ballard now has to roll with the punches. Why not sit back and enjoy seeing what he does about it, now that he has a chance to "put his stamp" on the position?

Best-25-touche-meme-1.jpg

42 minutes ago, Ratking said:

When your drafting late in the first your not going to get stars right away. They are going to need time to develop.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When your drafting late in the first your not going to get stars right away. They are going to need time to develop.

That's not true.  Some teams are drafting at the end of the first round EVERY year (Pats, Steelers, Ravens, etc.) and still manage to remain good year-in and year-out, getting production from good rookies.

You're not going to get the generational talents like Luck, Saquan, etc. but you can find stars all throughout the draft, not just the top-10 picks.  There are just as many top-10 picks that turn out to be busts as there are guys picked in rounds 2-7 that turn into stars within their first year or two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's not true.  Some teams are drafting at the end of the first round EVERY year (Pats, Steelers, Ravens, etc.) and still manage to remain good year-in and year-out, getting production from good rookies.

You're not going to get the generational talents like Luck, Saquan, etc. but you can find stars all throughout the draft, not just the top-10 picks.  There are just as many top-10 picks that turn out to be busts as there are guys picked in rounds 2-7 that turn into stars within their first year or two.

You speak the truth 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

happy d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hooksalot said:

This is coaching. Period. When Luck retires we have no pressure to win. Coaches pull off 5-2 and beat KC. Now they are expected to win. They go 1-6. Today. No pressure. Can't make playoffs. Lo and behold. They look like they did at 5-2. Reich flat out can't coach at all. Has no clue how to manage. He's lost if there is any pressure or meaning to game. This game made me mad and it should every Colts fan. It should also worry u about the Colts future. This is it with Reich. Mediocre. Good when no pressure. As today. Butt cheeks clinched tight when something on the line. He's awful under pressure. 

Coaches do not play. All they do is motivate and come up with a game plan. Reich is having to dance with a QB that is no where as good as he was. The beat up Eagles just beat Dallas because their defense held up, their QB did a good job, and Prescot played like Brissett. Colts won today because of hines and the defense. Anyway, Reich has kept the team from giving up. That has to count for something. I'm going to support Reich and hope he solves this QB situation. If he doesnt, then I don't care one way or the other.

I watch games to enjoy them.  I enjoyed today’s game thus I am happy.  I’ll worry about the draft when it’s draft time.  A higher pick doesn’t guarantee that player will be a success so I am not overly concerned about having a higher draft pick.  It’s not like they cost themselves the top pick or anything, then id care more.  Sure a higher pick would be nice but if you have a good GM, which I think the Colts do, you should be able to find a good player anywhere in the first round of the draft that helps your team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

A few thoughts for all you posters and your collective negativity:

1. Ballard has proven he drafts VERY well. 3 drafts, 29 picks, everyone of them on an nfl roster, 2 all-pros among them.

2. This team lost at least 4 games due to sticking with Vinatieri - which admittedly it would be difficult to straight up cut the GOAT. However, they righted that wrong and have our next kicker on the roster now already.

3. There are no issues with the coaching.

4. Nobody could have foreshadowed the dearth of injuries to skill position players.

5. Brissett is a good leader, but he is simply a placeholder until Ballard and Reich draft their guy.

6. For a young and hungry team, getting punched in the mouth and finishing 7-9 or 8-8 will make them work harder to improve this offseason.

Scott, good post. I agree with you. 

Re: Vinatieri: there was going to be a day when he lost it. It was this year. Many other teams would have re-signed him after the past couple of seasons where he was great. 

Re: Ballard: He has drafted well and is re-stocking the team top to bottom. It isn't his fault that Luck decided to do the unthinkable and quit. Not slinging mud at Andrew, but lets also be fair to our GM. This was a gut punch you couldn't anticipate. 

Re: Brissett: As much as I dislike Greg Doyel, he had a very good article tonight on Jacoby. Great guy; solid leader; lousy QB. The Colts have to try to move on next season. Draft a QB high and hope for the best. Its all you can do. There won't be a savior in FA as far as I can see, which means they will have to spend the draft capital on a QB. 

Re: a losing season: hopefully this wakes the team up, including the coaches. This team is better than its record despite JB's mediocrity. But everyone can improve. And I suspect they will. 

• Like 1

Anybody notice any “wrinkles” on offense?

maybe a lil uptempo.  Anything else?  119 yards passing.  When they said “try some things with JB”, i didnt think it was new handoff tricks.  Im a lil confused.

i enjoyed the heck out of the game, but add in a first-start QB that looked overwhelmed, and take away 21 points from Hines (and 195 return yards), and its a close game again against a bad team.

Im most happy with the urgency and energy they played with.  Finally a fun game to watch.  Im anxious to see how we play next week.  I hope we keep the energy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think that says more about coaching, don't you.   

Outside of Brissetts crappy play, the team had a very good game.   

The negatives:

Brissett, obviously.

Loss of draft position.

The positives:

Hines.  We all knew he'd be pretty good at returning, but this gave us some verification.  

Defensive team effort.   5 sacks, 3 INT's and 6 points allowed.   

Running game.  This O-line can really to their job.  

Hopefully this really shows Reich and Ballard that outside of the QB, this is a very good team.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Outside of Brissetts crappy play, the team had a very good game.   

The negatives:

Brissett, obviously.

Loss of draft position.

The positives:

Hines.  We all knew he'd be pretty good at returning, but this gave us some verification.  

Defensive team effort.   5 sacks, 3 INT's and 6 points allowed.   

Running game.  This O-line can really to their job.  

Hopefully this really shows Reich and Ballard that outside of the QB, this is a very good team.  

Man, I hope this is the start of something big for him.  I remember last preseason and him having the "yips" during punt (or was it kickoff?) returns.  This was a great development to see.  I really want him to build off of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Panthers win means absolutely nothing ,they packed it in and the quarterback a rookie in his first start 

I wonder what Quentin Nelson would think of that, after getting a concussion giving his all for his team to get a win. My guess is, he would disagree with you, as would every member of the Colts...from the top to the bottom. 

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

A few thoughts for all you posters and your collective negativity:

1. Ballard has proven he drafts VERY well. 3 drafts, 29 picks, everyone of them on an nfl roster, 2 all-pros among them.

2. This team lost at least 4 games due to sticking with Vinatieri - which admittedly it would be difficult to straight up cut the GOAT. However, they righted that wrong and have our next kicker on the roster now already.

3. There are no issues with the coaching.

4. Nobody could have foreshadowed the dearth of injuries to skill position players.

5. Brissett is a good leader, but he is simply a placeholder until Ballard and Reich draft their guy.

6. For a young and hungry team, getting punched in the mouth and finishing 7-9 or 8-8 will make them work harder to improve this offseason.

Scott, you always have good, level headed posts, and I normally agree with you.  I agree with this one, except for #3.  There is a major issue with the defense, and it's because of the scheme.

I'm not an expert, so I have to assume that we play that scheme because of the talent mandates it.  So, it could be lack of talent.  Especially at the DT positions.

It's very obvious that the D works well when playing against subpar teams or teams with average to below average QBs.  It worked very well in 18 because we faced so many teams with average to poor QBs.  Not so much this year.  You saw what bad teams with halfway decent QBs did to us, like Miami and TB.  Not to mention bad teams with good QBs like Atlanta (yes, we won the game - barely).