Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapport: Colts expected to be in QB Market after talks with irsay

csmopar

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Good. More options both for us and for other teams ahead of us. If we trust Ballard we need to trust that he will get in position to draft whoever he likes and Eason declaring probably is good news on several fronts in that respect. 

I think people need to be ready that Ballard and Reich don’t like any of the QB coming out. As fans we won’t know how they perform in interviews.

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I think people need to be ready that Ballard and Reich don’t like any of the QB coming out. As fans we won’t know how they perform in interviews.

But we can acknowledge at the moment, the Jacoby fans don’t like any coming out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

But we can acknowledge at the moment, the Jacoby fans don’t like any coming out. 

I don’t think anyone is saying that. I like a couple of them and would like to see us draft one. Two things can both be correct. We can hope that Jacoby does improve on his weaknesses and improves next year. Plus we can also hope we get a upgrade. Jacoby has really been handed a crappy situation both years he had to start. I would find it interesting to see if some upgraded WR and a off season of being the starter and not just thrown into the fire how things change. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they don't, they don't. If they do, it helps if whoever they like is actually in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. I like a couple of them and would like to see us draft one. Two things can both be correct. We can hope that Jacoby does improve on his weaknesses and improves next year. Plus we can also hope we get a upgrade. Jacoby has really been handed a crappy situation both years he had to start. I would find it interesting to see if some upgraded WR and a off season of being the starter and not just thrown into the fire how things change. 

When you never see the open man, after two full years starting, i dont think that will change... if you read the scouting report on him coming out of college, it is exactly the same as his scouting report would read today...so in other words, he has been in the league for multiple seasons and not improved upon any of this

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

When you never see the open man, after two full years starting, i dont think that will change... if you read the scouting report on him coming out of college, it is exactly the same as his scouting report would read today...so in other words, he has been in the league for multiple seasons and not improved upon any of this

Well it’s a good thing none of us have a crystal ball. Things might not change but they could also improve.  I just think it would be interesting to see what happens when he actually hasn’t just been thrown out there and is more mentally prepared to be the starter.

Well it’s a good thing none of us have a crystal ball. Things might not change but they could also improve.  I just think it would be interesting to see what happens when he actually hasn’t just been thrown out there and is more mentally prepared to be the starter.

Umm.  How many games has he started in Indy?

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just think it would be interesting to see what happens when he actually hasn’t just been thrown out there and is more mentally prepared to be the starter.

How many more years do you give him to “develop?” You think a full TC with all the reps didn’t mentally prepare a guy, who was supposedly in a worse situation in 2017? 
think about it beychella GIF

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Two things can both be correct. We can hope that Jacoby does improve on his weaknesses and improves next year. Plus we can also hope we get a upgrade. Jacoby has really been handed a crappy situation both years he had to start. 

Perfectly said. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

How many more years do you give him to “develop?” You think a full TC with all the reps didn’t mentally prepare a guy, who was supposedly in a worse situation in 2017? 
think about it beychella GIF

I think you missed the point. In 2017 and in TC this year he was holding the seat for Luck. If you don’t think actually knowing your going to be the starter changes things mentally I don’t know what to say. Is he going to gather all the WR on a off day and work with them when this is Lucks team. I just saw a tweet about Lock in Denver. He plans on staying in Denver all off season and working with his WR and such. Those things would not of been done with Jacoby when it’s Lucks team.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Then with the shoulder injury, I have to go to a foreign country 

The shoulder injury he compounded snowboarding and tried to hide from the team docs?  This cats literally FROM a foreign country at this point.  Hell most likely spend half the year plus in a foreign country for the rest of his life.  He didn't have to go there for treatment, he wanted to.... Like Kobe and plenty of other top shelf athletes have...

14 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Then, I get what team doctors tell me is a mild calf strain and it isn't healing after almost 9 months

You know they only told the public what Andrew let them tell the public right?  That whole thing was never all about that.  It was the team buying time and hoping Luck would reconsider and "get the itch" once camp rolled around.  He didn't.

• Like 1

I can see both sides to this argument.....I can see them going with a qb early(1st or Washington's 2nd rounder) if they feel Brissett isn't the answer or isn't developing well enough. 

I can also see them not getting a qb at all. It really just depends on how they view this years qb crop..draft and free agency. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree this was the case in 2017, but not in 2019. I may be wrong, but if my memory is correct didn't JB take first team reps in OTA's and the entire pre season? I don't remember Luck doing anything but rehabbing. Seems to me JB was set up for success in 2019, unlike 2017.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you missed the point. In 2017 and in TC this year he was holding the seat for Luck. If you don’t think actually knowing your going to be the starter changes things mentally I don’t know what to say. Is he going to gather all the WR on a off day and work with them when this is Lucks team. I just saw a tweet about Lock in Denver. He plans on staying in Denver all off season and working with his WR and such. Those things would not of been done with Jacoby when it’s Lucks team.

Jacoby’s not a rookie. He had a full year under his belt as a starter and the luxury of all the first team reps during TC. JB has been labeled “a great leader.” Great leaders “adapt” to their environment and situation. If, he wasn’t mentally prepared to start the 2019 season, there’s something wrong. Great QB’s and “Leaders” have away of elevating the team and players around them and making them perform better. I don’t want a guy who needs special or ideal circumstances to perform better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I really like this. I am a big JB Supporter and find it insanse how some Colts fans have almost relished in his shortcomings this year and actively rooted against him. 

that being said, as much as I like him, there a few QBs that I do like and wouldn’t kind them drafting. We just have to wait and see what happens this offseason. 

if JB is back and the unquestioned starter, I won’t stop watching games or boycott the team, I WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM, because their my team. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He took every single snap in the off season with our #1s, in camp, preseason etc... he went through everything that the "starter" would, this past off season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I really like this. I am a big JB Supporter and find it insanse how some Colts fans have almost relished in his shortcomings this year and actively rooted against him. 

that being said, as much as I like him, there a few QBs that I do like and wouldn’t kind them drafting. We just have to wait and see what happens this offseason. 

if JB is back and the unquestioned starter, I won’t stop watching games or boycott the team, I WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM, because their my team. 

Please find proof of fans actively rooting against him. We are allowed to point out his flaws just like every other player. Jacoby is also wrapping up his 4th season in the NFL. I dont know how much time is needed to show more than marginal improvement, starter or not. But I know it usually doesn't take 4 years. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Please find proof of fans actively rooting against him. We are allowed to point out his flaws just like every other player. Jacoby is also wrapping up his 4th season in the NFL. I dont know how much time is needed to show more than marginal improvement, starter or not. But I know it usually doesn't take 4 years. 

You are. In regards to actively rooting to fail. I have been a fan for 25 years and have never seen fans in real time taking pictures of plays to point out how he missed open receivers. Any mistake it quickly pictures and uploaded as proof he sucks. It is just disappointing. I remember a time when we supported our team and the players. 

• Like 2

Just listened to Steve Young summarize Jacoby Brissett.  It was a lil tough to swallow.  Mainly because i agreed with everything he said.  He was at the Saints game and not impressed with JB.  More than what he had to say, were his facial expressions.  You can tell he just doesnt see an NFL starting QB.  Or, at least what he believes a starting QB needs.   In a nutshell... accuracy.

I must admit, i’ve been pulling for JB to improve, and expand his game.  However, it seems he struggles with accuracy and Seeing open guys.  But ACCURACY is the key.

I believe, going forward the front office needs to assume he is not the long-term answer.  We need to plan a different path.  I believe JB can be in the short-term plan.  Whether draft, FA, or even a trade... Ballard has to make a move.  I wouldnt reach tho, dont get crazy.  If JB has to start next year, then he has to start.  He may improve accuracy too.  But i think our long-term answer is not on the team.  And its not like it will be easy to find either.  Unfortunately, we could be searching for a while and to think we’ll find another Peyton or even Luck is unrealistic.

Folks, we are in a spot we havent been in for decades.  Heck,  many here have NEVER experienced it as Colt fans.

We are in a search for the elusive and VERY rare elite QB.

Snd since there are really only a handful in the league now,  i’d say we’re in that crapshoot hoping to find a “good” to “very good”. QB.   Thats teally what it is.  
  And keep in mind , the QB many think is “bad”, is probably more like an “average” current NFL QB.

Ballard really needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat, and i fear many here think its easier than it is.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I just dont get it as well. I am perfectly happy sticking to my point, and I don't go around policing other's opinions, except when the repeatedly openly degrade my team, and when they say "WE", as if to include me in their stupidity. 

8 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

You are. In regards to actively rooting to fail. I have been a fan for 25 years and have never seen fans in real time taking pictures of plays to point out how he missed open receivers. Any mistake it quickly pictures and uploaded as proof he sucks. It is just disappointing. I remember a time when we supported our team and the players. 

So do I, and the internet generation for the most part, has become seemingly entitled to insult from behind a keyboard or a cell phone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Just listened to Steve Young summarize Jacoby Brissett.  It was a lil tough to swallow.  Mainly because i agreed with everything he said.  He was at the Saints game and not impressed with JB.  More than what he had to say, were his facial expressions.  You can tell he just doesnt see an NFL starting QB.  Or, at least what he believes a starting QB needs.   In a nutshell... accuracy.

I must admit, i’ve been pulling for JB to improve, and expand his game.  However, it seems he struggles with accuracy and Seeing open guys.  But ACCURACY is the key.

I believe, going forward the front office needs to assume he is not the long-term answer.  We need to plan a different path.  I believe JB can be in the short-term plan.  Whether draft, FA, or even a trade... Ballard has to make a move.  I wouldnt reach tho, dont get crazy.  If JB has to start next year, then he has to start.  He may improve accuracy too.  But i think our long-term answer is not on the team.  And its not like it will be easy to find either.  Unfortunately, we could be searching for a while and to think we’ll find another Peyton or even Luck is unrealistic.

Folks, we are in a spot we havent been in for decades.  Heck,  many here have NEVER experienced it as Colt fans.

We are in a search for the elusive and VERY rare elite QB.

Snd since there are really only a handful in the league now,  i’d say we’re in that crapshoot hoping to find a “good” to “very good”. QB.   Thats teally what it is.  
  And keep in mind , the QB many think is “bad”, is probably more like an “average” current NFL QB.

Ballard really needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat, and i fear many here think its easier than it is.

MAy I aak where you saw this. Sounds good and I would like to watch.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

MAy I aak where you saw this. Sounds good and I would like to watch.

About 30 mins ago on espn nfl live.  Right at the end of the show they ask young about QBs around the league.

I love everything about JB.  But the accuracy thing is hard to get past.  Especially when most are shorter throws.  I was telling myself it was the WRs poor separation, or bad calls by Reich.

Part of me still thinks JB COULD be the answer.  I just think we need to explore aplan B.  Its just too important to improve at the position.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

About 30 mins ago on espn nfl live.  Right at the end of the show they ask young about QBs around the league.

I love everything about JB.  But the accuracy thing is hard to get past.  Especially when most are shorter throws.  I was telling myself it was the WRs poor separation, or bad calls by Reich.

Part of me still thinks JB COULD be the answer.  I just think we need to explore aplan B.  Its just too important to improve at the position.

HIs accuracy was actually at 65% before the injury. That’s is right about where Luck was.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

HIs accuracy was actually at 65% before the injury. That’s is right about where Luck was.

Yea but its the throws he misses.  4th quarter play is always disappointing too.

two years ago we lost games in the 4th too when he started after leadingmost at halftime i seem to remember.

22 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I would like to add to the context of this. I went back and watched it on demand. Young said he was super bummed out after the Saints game. He had been hearing great things about him and was bummed about the missed open receivers. But he admitted that everyone has a bad game and if anyone can coach a QB up it is Frank Reich. They went on to say that he could have that Lamar Jackson like leap when going into his 2nd year starting this system. 

Just context. 

My list of preferences in order at the QB position next year.

1.) Get Andrew Luck back for one final 5 year contract

2.) Draft Love/Herbert to replace Brissett

3.) Sign or trade for a QB like Carr, Bridgewater or Foles to be our starter

4.) Have Brissett be the starter next year with Kelly and a developmental QB behind him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea but its the throws he misses.  4th quarter play is always disappointing too.

two years ago we lost games in the 4th too when he started after leadingmost at halftime i seem to remember.

Although yes he was having issues in the 4th the lack of play makers hurts when a team is in close games. There are things TY can do a average WR can’t. Even faking out a defender.  A Elite WR can make all the difference.Defenses also play differently when you have playmakers that can burn you.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would like to add to the context of this. I went back and watched it on demand. Young said he was super bummed out after the Saints game. He had been hearing great things about him and was bummed about the missed open receivers. But he admitted that everyone has a bad game and if anyone can coach a QB up it is Frank Reich. They went on to say that he could have that Lamar Jackson like leap when going into his 2nd year starting this system. 

Just context. 

Doesn't change the meat of the conversation.

I am pro-JB.  But sometimes you gotta know when you were wrong, and change direction.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Just context. 

He called JBs accuracy poor.

He then said (comparing to kickers) “its ok to miss some kicks, but you shouldnt miss the net”.  He also went on about JB not seeing and/or being able to hit wide open receivers.  His body language said it all.

That is context.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My list of preferences in order at the QB position next year.

1.) Get Andrew Luck back for one final 5 year contract

2.) Draft Love/Herbert to replace Brissett

3.) Sign or trade for a QB like Carr, Bridgewater or Foles to be our starter

4.) Have Brissett be the starter next year with Kelly and a developmental QB behind him.

I dont see any dramatic improvement with Carr, Bridgewater, or Foles.  Too big of a risk for the $.  I’d rather roll  With JB and draft for future than spend on these 3.

Kelly can be #3. 

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When you don’t have playmakers that can stretch the field and that defenses have to worry about a lot of QB will struggle.

Well, that and teams realized he struggles against the blitz. Which is probably one of my bigger hang ups on JB. He’s elusive and that’s great, but as a passer against the blitz, not so much. Even pre-snap, he seems to have the trouble seeing what’s coming coming.

Having a couple stud WR’s could help, but it’s also debatable the other way.

33 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

He called JBs accuracy poor.

He then said (comparing to kickers) “its ok to miss some kicks, but you shouldnt miss the net”.  He also went on about JB not seeing and/or being able to hit wide open receivers.  His body language said it all.

That is context.

After seeing Young's comments and looking at all of the various graphs and metrics out there on JB it is pretty easy to come to the conclusion that JB is not the answer long term.  Coach and Ballard can say all they want about leadership and all but everything still comes down to performance.  They have enough information to make a sound decision.  And they should know their decision on what to do will have a major impact on the teams fortunes going forward.  Not to mention their own fortunes.  This could be a make or break off season for those two. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

After seeing Young's comments and looking at all of the various graphs and metrics out there on JB it is pretty easy to come to the conclusion that JB is not the answer long term.  Coach and Ballard can say all they want about leadership and all but everything still comes down to performance.  They have enough information to make a sound decision.  And they should know their decision on what to do will have a major impact on the teams fortunes going forward.  Not to mention their own fortunes.  This could be a make or break off season for those two. 

What some are forgetting though is they might realize they need to move on but might not like the options in the draft.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

What some are forgetting though is they might realize they need to move on but might not like the options in the draft.

As of this point, I don't buy that Ballard and Reich aren't targeting any QB in the draft. We have been linked to Love, and at the very least, we'd get a QB in FA or trade even if you are correct. Still combines and Pro Days and Interviews as well, so I don't think even Ballard and Reich know for sure yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As of this point, I don't buy that Ballard and Reich aren't targeting any QB in the draft. We have been linked to Love, and at the very least, we'd get a QB in FA or trade even if you are correct. Still combines and Pro Days and Interviews as well, so I don't think even Ballard and Reich know for sure yet.

Well even if they are that’s doesnt mean we will get him. Someone might get the player we want ahead of us or outbid us to move up.

Well even if they are that’s doesnt mean we will get him. Someone might get the player we want ahead of us or outbid us to move up.

That's why I think if Carr is truly available he should be the first option. Even if he costs us a 2nd round pick we would be back on track and the fan base would be reenergized again.

• Like 1