Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csmopar

Rapport: Colts expected to be in QB Market after talks with irsay

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Wait.... So, you are not surprised Irsay is hands off and doesn't interfere with management.... Because you just knew he'd see attendance dip and wouldn't stand by and let that happen?

Yeah, that makes sense.. lol

No, what I am saying is he may be hands off in most team decisions but when it affect attendance he will step in. This is a business after all and yes, he is very involved in the business side.

If I was not clear I hope this explains my intent.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, Elway, Manning, Luck and Lawrence in 2021! :banana::yahoo:

Only 2 ways to get Lawrence is either be the worst team in the league and draft #1 or if Ballard trades up to #1 after next season. I don't see either happening. Regarding this season the QB class coming out is a crapshoot IMO. Even Burrow may not pan out. I have seen great college QB's just stink in the pro's. 

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Wait.... So, you are not surprised Irsay is hands off and doesn't interfere with management.... Because you just knew he'd see attendance dip and wouldn't stand by and let that happen?

Yeah, that makes sense.. lol

If I was not clear my intended comment was I am not surprised Irsay has a say in the QB situation from an attendance standpoint. Won't step in and make the final decision but will make it clear we need to put a more exciting team on the field to boost attendance . 

Sorry if I an repeating myself.

Lots of reading between the lines here imo. He never said they were moving on from Jacoby or moving on in the search for a QB. He just said they were moving on with Brissett and the upcoming drafts. If there’s anything these comments confirm or deny it’s that the likelihood of Luck coming back is low. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Irsay has picked up on the fan-bases dislike for JB, and how the base will blame JB for everything that's wrong with the Colts. 

no one is blaming him for everything, he just plays the most important position.

i dont care if the secondary sucks when the QB cant hit open receivers 

Jacoby is under contract next year.  hes not going to say yeah hes getting cut or replaced by a rookie not even on the team yet

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only 2 ways to get Lawrence is either be the worst team in the league and draft #1 or if Ballard trades up to #1 after next season. I don't see either happening. Regarding this season the QB class coming out is a crapshoot IMO. Even Burrow may not pan out. I have seen great college QB's just stink in the pro's. 

We'll get him somehow. The Colts are the team of destiny and the 2020's belong to us ! :rock:

Irsay seems to be holding out a little hope by saying he is taking things at face value. That alone suggests he has reservations about Lucks decision. Irasy seems to also suggest by staying with JB and the draft that the door for Luck is wide open to return.  Pretty much saying "Luck, I know your out there. Please come back." If there was really no chance Luck comes back, Irsay would have been a little bit more upfront about the future of the Colts, alas he has no clue at the moment.

There's several good QB's in this draft that can fall to us. Fromm might, Jake Eason should, Jalen Hurts should. Next year besides the top one ( Lawarence ) there will be Fields, who might be just as good..

Ok so I read that article and nowhere did Irsay mention that he’s looking for a new QB. He irriterated that Luck is officially retired/not ever coming back and they’re moving forward with Brissett. 

I think Ballard has his eye on other QBs and is keeping that under wrap without too much speculation. But are there any exciting Qb prospects in this upcoming draft without giving up half our draft picks plus some next year? I think not. May have to just roll with Brissett again next year and see where we’re at to get Lawrence maybe. Either way, high chance for a draft bust where we pick in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, #12. said:

"Going into the offeason, we have to proceed as if Andrew is officially retired," owner Jim Irsay told NFL.com recently. "So that's how we operate now".

That's a pretty interesting quote.  One thing is certain, if he wants to play, they would welcome him back and Luck would have his job back in a second.

Good thing I'm not a GM. I understand it's better business to have luck here,  but I'm not one to easily let someone back in after pulling a stunt like he did. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That tells me that irsay is probably going to demand ballard draft a QB. I would rather draft our future then going after a FA.

I could see a discussion with CB and Irsay at years end going something like this. Chris, how do you really assess our current QB situation? Is JB really the guy you want to hang your hat on? What risk do you put on the potential QB’s in the first round that we have a legit chance to get as we know we can’t get that 1st pick away from Cincy? 

id also like to think the smart business guy in Irsay says look, I honestly need a vast improvement in whoever you see in the QB role for next season whether that be JB, Kelly or a high draft pick. I need to instill hope and enthusiasm back into my small market team who lost a share of fans when Manning left but gained some of them back with Luck. Now I have a fan base screaming how miserable they are from watching this year’s debacle and I need to regain that enthusiasm one way or the other. So my desire would be for you to put together what a first round QB pick looks like and to ignite the base again while having legitimate chances for being better into the future with that pick. If it isn’t a QB pick, I need you to really convince me as to why we aren’t going QB in the first come time to draft. 

14 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Good thing I'm not a GM. I understand it's better business to have luck here,  but I'm not one to easily let someone back in after pulling a stunt like he did. 

I honestly believe that if Luck said he was clear both mentally and physically, he would 100% be welcomed back as the starter. If CB said he wouldn’t just give him that job back, I believe that Irsay would 1000% pick Luck over Ballard everyday of the week. After watching last years team with Luck and this years team without Luck , I think it’s clear what a quality QB does for this team. CB May be very good, Luck was just that more meaningful to teams wins. At least that’s what I see in the short term. 

4 hours ago, #12. said:

"Going into the offeason, we have to proceed as if Andrew is officially retired," owner Jim Irsay told NFL.com recently. "So that's how we operate now".

That's a pretty interesting quote.  One thing is certain, if he wants to play, they would welcome him back and Luck would have his job back in a second.

After reading this https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/12/22/andrew-luck-retirement-colts-owner-jim-irsay-tells-nfl-network-quarterback-isnt-coming-back/2726394001/

do you still feel that way?

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Jacoby is under contract next year.  hes not going to say yeah hes getting cut or replaced by a rookie not even on the team yet

I think the Colts can cut Brissett without any dead cap penalty.

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

Well we aren’t getting any of the top 3 qbs and would rather wait for the better qb prospects of next year.

We have plenty of draft capital, and could move up to 4ish right now given our current position without mortgaing the future. That's enough to get a top 3 guy.

Next year, our draft position is probably worse, and our chances at getting a top 3 guy likely diminishes. 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did anyone actually read the article. Rsay said we have to move ahead with Jacoby and the draft and there after. That’s his quote.

Yeah but if he was truly confident in Jacoby he would not have even mentioned the next draft and so on and so forth.  He'd have maintained we were confident in Jacoby.  Instead he relays it in a way that says we are not sure what we have but these are our possible options.

It's obvious they aren't set on JB.

This was the perfect opportunity for the owner to say "JB is our guy in 2020"....

He didn't. That's pretty much all you need to know. At minimum, they are still evaluating.

Just incredible. Fans just pull flowers out of their backside and fling them....hoping to see something stick. They criticize the Colts for not being straight with them, and then when the Colts are, fans make up a coded version of what the Colts said, changing to their own narrative. 

So hard for fans to get behind what is said.

1) Luck is done

2) JB is our QB next year

3) The Colts are tanking to hope they save next year's attendance

4) Irsay is letting Ballard do his job

But by all means....keeping spewing nonsense to fit one's own desires. I truly thought the Trent Richardson saga would go down in history, but it is being rivaled. 

The draft is a waste of time usually when picking this far back. Derik Carr can play well. Gruden's west coast offense can only be run by a limited few QB's. Carr is a gunslinger type with a lot of talent. Manning would have not have flourished in gruden's system. Carr would excell with Reich I believe. Cam newton would  have one of his bad days and Reich would have to babysit him for two weeks. I think Reich has had enough baby sitting this year to last him a lifetime.

This is great to hear. It’s difficult to win consistently in this league without a franchise QB. We have a realistic chance to get one in this draft. 

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I don’t see that happening at ALL.  By all reports, Irsay stays out of the drafting decisions. That’s been one thing former personnel managers and GMs have stated repeatedly. He will be in the know, but he won’t be putting demands or making decisions

Except when he was "mentoring" Grigson into some bad choices.

If we are in the market for a QB, we have the draft capital to move into the top ten, however we all know how much Ballard values draft pick. Only QB off the table would be Burrow

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Except when he was "mentoring" Grigson into some bad choices.

Actually from the reports he was quite hands off with a Grigson...

9 hours ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think Luck will be back, but Irsay discussing the QB position is reassuring. 

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

JB's play is giving them no reason not to look for an upgrade.  His play these last two games will probably seal it for them.

Really??? What games have you been watching?

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Just incredible. Fans just pull flowers out of their backside and fling them....hoping to see something stick. They criticize the Colts for not being straight with them, and then when the Colts are, fans make up a coded version of what the Colts said, changing to their own narrative. 

So hard for fans to get behind what is said.

1) Luck is done

2) JB is our QB next year

3) The Colts are tanking to hope they save next year's attendance

4) Irsay is letting Ballard do his job

But by all means....keeping spewing nonsense to fit one's own desires. I truly thought the Trent Richardson saga would go down in history, but it is being rivaled. 

I mean.... the title of the article (and the link) from the NFL's own site says http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001089948/article/indianapolis-colts-expected-to-be-in-qb-market-in-offseason

I don't think the article says much regardless. What it does not say, is JB is the guy in 2020. And that's the most telling part, at least to me.

Regardless, that makes two articles this week from the two biggest NFL media sites (ESPN and NFL.com) that suggest questions at QB and potential changes to come. 

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

Really??? What games have you been watching?

The two games with average 142 yards passing, 52ish% completion rate, and no passing TDs.

Don't fall out of your  chairs when after the 1st 3 picks we don't draft a qb. I feel Reich and Ballard are all in on Brissett for next year. His receivers should b back and they will give him more weapons via free agency and the draft. Remember, this team was 5 and 2 and then it all fell apart. U have to admit that we had an ungodly amount of injuries to the wr position.  I am all for giving him one more year.  I am not sure their will b much more value at the qb position when  it comes time for the Colts to pick in the draft.  I know everyone is down on JB, but man the draft is such a crap shoot. Look at Mayfield....Darnold....Allen.  They r all top 10 picks and have they really out performed Brissett?  Lots of capital and average returns. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Don't fall out of your  chairs when after the 1st 3 picks we don't draft a qb. I feel Reich and Ballard are all in on Brissett for next year. His receivers should b back and they will give him more weapons via free agency and the draft. Remember, this team was 5 and 2 and then it all fell apart. U have to admit that we had an ungodly amount of injuries to the wr position.  I am all for giving him one more year.  I am not sure their will b much more value at the qb position when  it comes time for the Colts to pick in the draft.  I know everyone is down on JB, but man the draft is such a crap shoot. Look at Mayfield....Darnold....Allen.  They r all top 10 picks and have they really out performed Brissett?  Lots of capital and average returns. 

I wouldn't fall out of my chair, but I would be a bit disappointed. If I were you, I wouldn't fall out of my chair if they do draft a QB. 

And never really liked Darnold or Allen. Darnold would do a lot better with a better team. Mayfield went to the Browns, which is a curse in itself for any QB.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm all for drafting a QB this year. I don't think JB is the guy. But from a team building perspective, I can see reasoning behind trying to build the offense another season before giving up on him. The fan base as a whole on the other hand, likely won't be as accepting. 

But yes, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen > JB purely on ability. Doesn't help that Mayfield and Darnold have 2 of the clear worst head coaches in the league. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The two games with average 142 yards passing, 52ish% completion rate, and no passing TDs.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

JB's play is giving them no reason not to look for an upgrade.  His play these last two games will probably seal it for them.

Oops, I misread and missed the "not" ... read it as "no reason to look for an upgrade". :headspin:  I am in agreement. 

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Oops, I misread missed the "not" ... read it as "no reason to look for an upgrade". :headspin:  I am in agreement. 

I kinda thought that's what you mean :thmup:

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bingo.

5 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

The fan base as a whole on the other hand, likely won't be as accepting. 

Thank goodness, that is not a factor in the teams decisions.