Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Man if Frank Can Pull This Off...

Shadow_Creek

So i was watching the final 3 games of the Ravens last year and i noticed how Harbaugh made little additions to his offense to cater towards Jackson even tho that same offense was built for Flacco. Then you look at this year and notice the huge success coming from Jackson with the offense fully geared towards all his strengths. If some how Frank can add the right kind of additional plays for these final two games for JB then next year should be quite interesting once the offense gets made to fully support him if that is the QB Frank decides to roll with. Keep in mind this offense is still built for Luck so it is possible we may have a slightly new look offense next year.

In some ways yes... having another offseason will help JB a lot. Hopefully it helps with his clock management as well(never seen a QB have to call so many TO's bc the game clock is running down). 

BUT you should already be able to see that the offense has already changed significantly for Brissett. We hardly throw the ball deep compared to last year... and i assume that's due to Brissett's down-the-field accuracy. Brissett also throws a very poor slant pattern that(fingers crossed) will improve with another offseason. 

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

In some ways yes... having another offseason will help JB a lot. Hopefully it helps with his clock management as well(never seen a QB have to call so many TO's bc the game clock is running down). 

BUT you should already be able to see that the offense has already changed significantly for Brissett. We hardly throw the ball deep compared to last year... and i assume that's due to Brissett's down-the-field accuracy. Brissett also throws a very poor slant pattern that(fingers crossed) will improve with another offseason. 

PeytonManning used to do ALOT

18 minutes ago, KB said:

It is possible. They spent the offseason tailoring this O around Luck. JB isnt a Jackson type of talent, but who's to say there isnt a kink to Jacobys game that they haven't been using.

I don't think the league allows latex or toys on the field. 

I could see Nelson in a Pulp Fiction gimp outfit though. 

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Sure Reich can make changes. but until Brissett improves on his accuracy and decision making, the pass offense will continue to be suspect.

He can tweak it, using two meaningless games is problematic to me though. The resume has been the same results since college with JB. 

Using to two games as a potential benchmark to roll with JB in 2020 and no plan B isn’t sound. 

• Like 2

Well, I guess the obvious statement is Jackson’s much better than JB so it’s be easier to cater to his strengths. 

I do think whatever wrinkles they come up with will work, or will at least work better than what we’ve been doing. The real test though would come next season once these new wrinkles, if they work, are on tape.

57 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Well, I guess the obvious statement is Jackson’s much better than JB so it’s be easier to cater to his strengths. 

I do think whatever wrinkles they come up with will work, or will at least work better than what we’ve been doing. The real test though would come next season once these new wrinkles, if they work, are on tape.

The real answer is - Frank is already catering to JB. All coaches cater to the strengths and weaknesses of their players and especially to the QB on offense. His offense this year is much different to his offense in any other year and the primary difference this year to last year with Luck or his years with Rivers or Wentz is the QB is much worse pocket passer than those, thus the emphasis is heavily on the run game. 

This is what a JB offense is going to look. Maybe you get better pieces at key positions, but the ceiling of an offense commanded by JB is limited and in general terms looks like what we've been seeing this year - we need strong run game and strong defense to win games consistently. JB is not a QB who will be able to do it as the central piece of the offense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

The real answer is - Frank is already catering to JB. All coaches cater to the strengths and weaknesses of their players and especially to the QB on offense. His offense this year is much different to his offense in any other year and the primary difference this year to last year with Luck or his years with Rivers or Wentz is the QB is much worse pocket passer than those, thus the emphasis is heavily on the run game. 

This is what a JB offense is going to look. Maybe you get better pieces at key positions, but the ceiling of an offense commanded by JB is limited and in general terms looks like what we've been seeing this year - we need strong run game and strong defense to win games consistently. JB is not a QB who will be able to do it as the central piece of the offense. 

Yeah, I’m with ya. There’s no way Reich hasn’t already been doing his best to work with JB’s strengths and more importantly, his limitations.

My post was more meant to say I think it’ll sort of be fools gold if whatever changes, big or small, work for JB to end the season. In large part because 1. Carolina and Jax have been giving up big passing games recently and 2. Because they won’t know what to expect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

He can tweak it, using two meaningless games is problematic to me though. The resume has been the same results since college with JB. 

Using to two games as a potential benchmark to roll with JB in 2020 and no plan B isn’t sound. 

I totally agree, especially since both Carolina and Jacksonville may very well be tanking.

... and just rolling with JB in 2020 is my biggest fear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

So i was watching the final 3 games of the Ravens last year and i noticed how Harbaugh made little additions to his offense to cater towards Jackson even tho that same offense was built for Flacco. Then you look at this year and notice the huge success coming from Jackson with the offense fully geared towards all his strengths. If some how Frank can add the right kind of additional plays for these final two games for JB then next year should be quite interesting once the offense gets made to fully support him if that is the QB Frank decides to roll with. Keep in mind this offense is still built for Luck so it is possible we may have a slightly new look offense next year.

Frank need to pull off a good draft pick for QB or trade a 3 or 4th for Cam lol

• Like 1

What puzzles me is Jacoby has now gotten two shots at a starting job with the same team. Both have been failures(and I could say this year has been an epic failure). How can he get a third try?How can he even expect to get a third try? Dalton and Foles could be released after this season, either one of them could get this Colt team to the playoffs next year. And I'll also say Chad Kelly has a better chance of getting this team to the playoffs next year than Brissett,but then again, Brissett has already proven he can't. Time to move on in a different direction.

39 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I’m talking present, not past. :thmup:

I know you are.

im saying this team was kinda built for a guy who bailed at the opening bell.  Its hard to find a good QB when u try for years.  Even tougher when the season started.

They have two games to “experiment” and further evaluate a guy they need to make a decision on and the position at years end.   Hoyer is out.  If kelly has any future, these two games with him dont really solve anything.   See what u think u have in JB and decide if you need to bring in another plan for #1.  Whether draft or other.  Then keep JB for another tear or save the $.  Kelly can stay or go depending what they've decided.

I just think the decisions by Ballard and Reich to roll with JB at the start Was sound.  Most here liked it.  Hoyer addition looked good compared to what was available.  It didnt work they way we expected for many reasons.  Many besides QB play.

But try to decide if JB is serviceable and to what level so you know how to plan for future.  It just seems to make sense.  Now anyway.

If we struggle, Im cool with kelly goin in.  But why not look at every angle of JB.  (Which i assumed was done all along anyway, but whatever)

• Like 1