Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love Frisco Bowl

BTW Jordan Love is 2 years younger than Joe Burrow. Just some food for thought. He's graduating now and he just turned 21 last month. He's the youngest QB out of all of those premier prospects we are looking at. At 21 Burrow had not started a single game in college football and had a grand total of 280 passing yards in the span of 2 years all in garbage time. 

• Like 1

And here's PFFs article on him, which warns about all the drawbacks and risks that come with drafting Jordan Love:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-buyer-beware-on-utah-state-qb-jordan-love

To summarize:

-very good when not pressured, bad when pressured

-very good avoiding sacks, but bad making something good out of those sack-escapes

-great throwing to WRs with separation, bad throwing into tight windows

-many big time throws, but also many turnover worthy throws. 

On 12/22/2019 at 3:43 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

You're missing context in your perspective. It's been widely noted by @stitches and @EastStreet why Love hasn't had the year he had last year. The team, specifically the talent on offense, took a huge step back this year. I can't remember their defense ever being this bad either. I would take what he's done this year with a grain of salt. He'd step into a really good situation in Indy with that OL and running game on top of pairing him with Reich. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if he were taken, that he could come in and push for the starting spot by the start of next season.

Love losing talent on offense shouldn’t be an excuse for throwing 16 INT’s. Herbert and Eason didn’t have great talent around them and they didn’t throw a lot of picks. 

I like Love and he has potential, but 16 INT’s and a very weak conference is a huge red flag. 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

And here's PFFs article on him, which warns about all the drawbacks and risks that come with drafting Jordan Love:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-buyer-beware-on-utah-state-qb-jordan-love

That article doesn’t even address why there was the regression. Which is clear. All it talks about is the regression. That isn’t totally fair.

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Love losing talent on offense shouldn’t be an excuse for throwing 16 INT’s. Herbert and Eason didn’t have great talent around them and they didn’t throw a lot of picks. 

I like Love and he has potential, but 16 INT’s and a very weak conference is a huge red flag. 

He didn’t just lose talent on offense. If I’m not mistaken he was like the only returning starter on offense. All his receivers, OL, and RBs all graduated or left for the NFL. Also he had a brand new coaching staff.

How else do you explain that drastic change in production? He went from a 32-6 TD:INT ratio to 15-16 and you don’t think those factors played a part? If you really believe that then you can’t possibly understand football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He didn’t just lose talent on offense. If I’m not mistaken he was like the only returning starter on offense. All his receivers, OL, and RBs all graduated or left for the NFL. Also he had a brand new coaching staff.

How else do you explain that drastic change in production? He went from a 32-6 TD:INT ratio to 15-16 and you don’t think those factors played a part? If you really believe that then you can’t possibly understand football.

All I know is that this is becoming a very easy excuse for him.  If our season is any indication, you are going to lose players.  We lost our top 4 receivers this year.  16 INTs is 16 INTs.  He should have still been better.

Also, I would like to say that I do like him, I just get very nervous about taking him with our 1st round pick.  Seems high

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It could also be that he’s just inconsistent. He made a lot of high risk throws that some of the other QB’s wouldn’t make. I can understand if he played in a power five conference after losing talent but he plays in the Mountain West Conference. Throwing 16 INT’s in a very weak conference is inexcusable even after losing talent. 

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That article doesn’t even address why there was the regression. Which is clear. All it talks about is the regression. That isn’t totally fair.

I don't blame PFF for the way they wrote their article. It was an article about the risks of taking him and most of the points they made are fair to make. You can add more context that might explain some of the regression, but I don't mind having the stats with all the things he struggled with this season. 

16 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

It could also be that he’s just inconsistent. He made a lot of high risk throws that some of the other QB’s wouldn’t make. I can understand if he played in a power five conference after losing talent but he plays in the Mountain West Conference. Throwing 16 INT’s in a very weak conference is inexcusable even after losing talent. 

IMO there are several reasons he struggled this season.

1. Returning cast and coaching staff - all of his coaches and all of his starting unit left. IMO the problem with the coaching staff is actually bigger than the problem with the starting unit(although, they both have effect). Their offensive playcalling was so trash this year compared to last year. I don't blame him for deciding to leave for the NFL. I don't see how he could have gotten where he needs to go under that coaching. 

2. His defense was hot trash. You might say, "what does that matter for the offense?" but you don't get it... it wasn't just trash... it was HOT TRASH SWISS CHEESE type of defense. He knew from the very start of every game he needed to put up 40 points every game in order to win. And you can actually see this in the stats - in the first halves of games while games were close  his passing grade was 85(which is pretty damn good for the weapons he has and the playcalling he has)... but by half time his team would be trailing by 2 scores in multiple games and he would just try to play hero ball and get his team back in the game in the second half - his passing grade in second halves was 54 and he had the most turnover-worthy plays in the entire nation in second halves of games. 

3. Now... 1 and 2 are important context. BUT... he still needs to play better and he still cannot make some of the throws he was trying to force. He has trouble with decision-making and he has trouble with some of his mechanics that leave some of his balls on fade routes floating a bit. There are definitely things he should work on and there are definitely things an NFL coach would have to guide him through. He's not a perfect prospect and IMO PFF is right to point out some of the things he struggled with this season. 

But with all that said... I'd still take him with our pick and not blink. This would be a bet both on Love's talent and 'potential' and on Reich's ability to guide a young QB to becoming an great NFL player. 

On 12/21/2019 at 2:32 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Were you expecting the Colts to have TWO franchise level quarterbacks on our roster?    Almost no one in football does.   It’s rare.

The question isn’t whether JB is a franchise QB — he’s likely not.  The question is can we win with him?  Can we make the playoffs with him?   And we were heading for that when everything went sideways and straight to Hell.

Now the questions internally become how much of this mess is JB’s fault and how much is elsewhere in the roster and coaching staff.   

I actually think we can go to the playoffs with JB, but we have to get luckier with injuries.  Game manager has to have a roster that can outplay the other team's roster in order to win many games.  

When the injuries piled up, we just didn't have that and failed as a result.

That said we absolutely should try and improve upon it.  You can't expect to go through the entire season and not have some injuries to critical players.  We need a QB who can play well enough to make up for those injuries.  

I would say we draft a QB, let JB finish out his contract and start for that QB's rookie year.  Hopefully without JB being injured the rookie QB will have time to learn more instead of being thrown to the fire.  

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the NFL most of the time it is who a QB gets drafted by that determines how good they can be. I often wonder had Wilson got drafted by us #1 and Luck would've got drafted by the Seahawks who had a great RB and great Defense, how those 2 QB's career's would've been different. That is just like what if Tom Brady would've got drafted by the Browns? Would he have had a great career?

Luck probably would have some SB's by now and Wilson probably would have avoided the punishment that Luck took.  Luck was pretty mobile but he didn't have the mobility in the pocket to escape sacks like Wilson does.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

All I know is that this is becoming a very easy excuse for him.  If our season is any indication, you are going to lose players.  We lost our top 4 receivers this year.  16 INTs is 16 INTs.  He should have still been better.

Also, I would like to say that I do like him, I just get very nervous about taking him with our 1st round pick.  Seems high

Taking Jordan Love is a high risk, high reward, swinging for the fences type move.  If it works out he looks like he could be a Pat Mahomes 2.0

If it doesn't work out he might not even be able to competently play backup.  

However this part of the article concerns me.

First, he was under pressure 7% more this season as opposed to last – going from the third-lowest rate to the 34th-lowest. His clean pocket and pressured grades were nearly identical over the two seasons (both around the FBS average), and while he still had a favorable pressure rate relative to the FBS average, the bump in pressure rate caused his overall play to decline a tad.

This says that Love went from great OL protection to above average OL protection.  So yes his surrounding talent declined, but at the same time the replacement talent at least on the OL has not been bad, it's actually been pretty good.  If Love can't adjust from elite to above average protection how he is he going to fair in the NFL?  

I agree, the talent on the field has become too much of an excuse for him.  Many of his INT's this year appear to be just simply boneheaded throws.  And his ability to escape pressure doesn't seem to mean much when he just ends up making a bad throw anyways.