Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And the Colts next drafted QB will be......

At this early stage, I say Herbert or Eason.  If we don't trade up for Herbert, we will probably take Eason over Love.

Eason has limited tape, not a lot of experience.  That fits into JBs contract of paying him starters money while Eason sits.  Of course, Love has some things to work on, so that fits Love too.

Eason is less mobile, but we have the oline to deal with that, so his weakness matters less to us than maybe other teams.

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

7th round flyer?

That''s what I'm thinking. Being a Pac 12 fan, I see a lot of games. What most people don't know is, Anderson, the previous coach, literally stripped the team of talent and depth before Smith took over........ by alienating and belittling players. Between injuries and a bare roster, Luton made a lot of really great decisions in a very challenging environment. Much like Matt Moore or Derek Andersen, if he gets a shot, he could have a longer career than Herbert. 

Remember that Jonathon Smith was developed by Mike Riley, who is known for developing QB's in an NFL style....and Smith is now recreating that at OSU after returning to his Alma Mater.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

If Ballard drafts him, I will love the pick. I think I prefer Love to him, but I won't quibble with this one. IMO both players have high level playmaking traits and if developed well can be very good QBs in the league. 

I would be happy with either of those two. 

Alot of good developmental QB's in this year's draft. I prefer Herbert, however if we don't trade up Love would be a good pick up to sit a year. If Ballard decides to wait until round 2 or 3, I'd be ok with Fromm as well. Lastly, If Tua passes all the doctors tests and is given a good bill of future health I'd be stoked with him at the top of the 2nd. 

1 hour ago, jchandler7 said:

Alot of good developmental QB's in this year's draft. I prefer Herbert, however if we don't trade up Love would be a good pick up to sit a year. If Ballard decides to wait until round 2 or 3, I'd be ok with Fromm as well. Lastly, If Tua passes all the doctors tests and is given a good bill of future health I'd be stoked with him at the top of the 2nd. 

Depending on the medical reports Tua is not expected to get out of the first round.  

If the medicals are decent, Tua won’t get past the top-12.  

And if the medicals are good, Tua might not get out of the top-5. 

I think the odds of Tua lasting to the 2nd round are pretty close to zero. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Depending on the medical reports Tua is not expected to get out of the first round.  

If the medicals are decent, Tua won’t get past the top-12.  

And if the medicals are good, Tua might not get out of the top-5. 

I think the odds of Tua lasting to the 2nd round are pretty close to zero. 

Hey NCF!

Tua when healthy,  is an excellent prospect IMHO

I would be happy with Tua, Love, and then Herbert in that order

One of the 3 will be available at 15......  But NONE of the 3 will be available in round 2

I truly hope that we take a QB at our draft spot in round 1

57 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hey NCF!

Tua when healthy,  is an excellent prospect IMHO

I would be happy with Tua, Love, and then Herbert in that order

One of the 3 will be available at 15......  But NONE of the 3 will be available in round 2

I truly hope that we take a QB at our draft spot in round 1

Good to see you, Mike!   Hope you and your are well.   I have concerns about all in this QB class.   With Tua, he had a history of injuries before his hip.  Can he hold up for a 16 game NFL schedule?    I don’t know?

Not a big Herbert fan.   Not accurate enough for me.  I question his ability to read college defenses and defenses at the next level might eat him alive.  At the very least Herbert badly needs a redshirt year. 

Love?   I think he needs a longer, deeper, fuller evaluation than all of them.   But I suspect his ceiling is very high.   I likely won’t come to a conclusion on him until April.   But I hope he lasts to our Skins pick at the top of the second.  He will likely need a redshirt year as well.  

Those are my thoughts as of late December.   All subject to change as we all learn more....   

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good to see you, Mike!   Hope you and your are well.   I have concerns about all in this QB class.   With Tua, he had a history of injuries before his hip.  Can he hold up for a 16 game NFL schedule?    I don’t know?

Not a big Herbert fan.   Not accurate enough for me.  I question his ability to read college defenses and defenses at the next level might eat him alive.  At the very least Herbert badly needs a redshirt year. 

Love?   I think he needs a longer, deeper, fuller evaluation than all of them.   But I suspect his ceiling is very high.   I likely won’t come to a conclusion on him until April.   But I hope he lasts to our Skins pick at the top of the second.  He will likely need a redshirt year as well.  

Those are my thoughts as of late December.   All subject to change as we all learn more....   

Doing well...... Getting OLD and FAT   HA!

With the POSSIBLE exception of Burrows, I dont see an actual,

"blue chip" cant-miss prospect at QB

I Like .... Love...... but agree with you..... his first NFL season will be ugly.......  

He has some basic needed skills, such as live arm, quick release, good touch....... but the "tomato can" teams UTAH State plays only brings so much talent against him, to develop his skills.

He will need some time to develop his skills, but I see a high ceiling for the kid

Herbert is a an interesting prospect, and I am planning on spending some more time watching some of his tapes

Tua is going to need some time to develop and put on 10-15 lbs of needed muscle to put up with hits at the next level. 

I also am liking Jordon at WSU.

If we miss on one of the top QB prospects, I would be very happy if we drafted him with our 2nd 2nd round pick.

He also needs MUCHO time to develop.....  He seems to have the basic skills needed

He needs an immediate weight training to put on 10-15 lbs as well

All in all.......  I personally have completely given up on JB as the Colts starting QB.

As we develop the next QB of the future we will have some UGLY times before we can compete again.........  Its sad to say, but we will be drafting early in 2021 as well

Take care and God Bless. 

Have a Merry Christmas!

(And take it easy on the young' ns on the board  :)  ) 

CIN, MIA, CAR, and LAC are likely to all take QBs.  All probably will be drafting ahead of us. I think they are probably all willing to trade up to get one.  MIA definitely has the picks to get up to #2.

Ballard will probably have to engage in a bidding war, or else settle for the 5th rated QB, whomever that may be.  There are some other teams that might trade up in the first too, like OAK.

We may have to take a lesser player and go the truly developmental route.  Or wait until next year (where we might simply be in the same draft position situation)

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I started this thread back in December. I still think Luton will succeed in the NFL. Here is a vid with Greg Cosell. He starts talking about Luton at about the 2:30 mark. 

I was joking but I made a topic about unexpected draft picks I could see Ballard making, and listed Luton as an option. I wonder if there’s actually some merit to it now lol.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was joking but I made a topic about unexpected draft picks I could see Ballard making, and listed Luton as an option. I wonder if there’s actually some merit to it now lol.

Given that we’ve traded the #13 pick in the Buckner deal (which I am delighted with).... a guy like Luton in the 5th or 6th round is MAYBE the only way we see a QB selected in this draft.

But I’m pretty sure that continuity and “under center” familiarity with Reich and Sirianni are the big deal for now as Ballard rounds out the rest of the team in this draft.... and I believe that with Rivers - Brissett- Kelly in house....  the QB question is tabled until the 2021 draft.

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

Given that we’ve traded the #13 pick in the Buckner deal (which I am delighted with).... a guy like Luton in the 5th or 6th round is MAYBE the only way we see a QB selected in this draft.

But I’m pretty sure that continuity and “under center” familiarity with Reich and Sirianni are the big deal for now as Ballard rounds out the rest of the team in this draft.... and I believe that with Rivers - Brissett- Kelly in house....  the QB question is tabled until the 2021 draft.

According to other forum members ,you have it all wrong. Ballard is so in love with Love that he traded our 13th pick knowing that we could package our 2nd round picks and move back into the first to nab him. Makes sense...right?

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Yeah I see a late round QB. The guy with the most buzz for our team is James Morgan. Luton could be a realistic option too. They gotta retool his throwing motion a bit though.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I see a late round QB. The guy with the most buzz for our team is James Morgan. Luton could be a realistic option too. They gotta retool his throwing motion a bit though.

I truly like Morgan myself. I think with pro level trainers he has the talent to become a NFL QB. 

Maybe it's a bit homer of me but his throwing motion reminds me of P. Manning. 

If the Colts do something like drafting Morgan or another project would that put Kelly out? 

21 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

According to other forum members ,you have it all wrong. Ballard is so in love with Love that he traded our 13th pick knowing that we could package our 2nd round picks and move back into the first to nab him. Makes sense...right?

Yeah.... we (including myself) kinda throw those "let's just trade up/down" scenarios around here on out Forum as if the other 31 GMs in the NFL are anxiously waiting by the phone for Ballard to call them so they can accommodate his every whim.

But in my estimation.... taking from Ballard's own words.... when we traded the #13 pick for DeForest Buckner, Ballard was making the statement that there will no longer be a glaring weakness on either side of our interior trench positions.

His draft history with us corroborates this.... and no two positions on the Colts roster have been more glaring in their weakness for DECADES than OG and DT.... to the point where they were exploited regularly and successfully in a number of playoff games even with Peyton Manning at QB.

If Ballard can pull off acquiring Buckner.... freshening up the WR corps....AND acquiring Jordan Love all in one off-season, and Love eventually DOES develop into a legit franchise QB behind a bullet=proof O-Line... then I'm all for it and I'll be happy to be proven wrong about Love.

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I truly like Morgan myself. I think with pro level trainers he has the talent to become a NFL QB. 

Maybe it's a bit homer of me but his throwing motion reminds me of P. Manning. 

If the Colts do something like drafting Morgan or another project would that put Kelly out? 

Oh man don’t get started on the Kelly talk lol. There’s a big debate on this board about him. He has a Deon Cain level fan club game n this board. There’s a fair amount of people that think we shouldn’t draft anyone because we have Kelly. I feel the opposite though. Kelly is mostly there because of his connection to Reich.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, pacolts56 said:

Been saying this all year!!  This kid is going to make a run at the Heisman 

23 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Been saying this all year!!  This kid is going to make a run at the Heisman 

Not at Georgia. That offense does not like to throw the ball a lot. They are a hardcore running offense. And they don’t have great talent at receiver either. Sage Surat will be a 1st or 2nd round WR next year. Georgia hasn’t had a great receiver since A.J. Green, and that’s no disrespect to Mecole Hardman.

Newman should have tried to transfer somewhere else. I’m surprised Bama wasn’t interested.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we go QB in round 5 or so, (Morgan or Gordon) I doubt either would survive on PS

I also don’t think we start camp with 4 QBs

I think everyone would agree that at some point..... we will need to draft a decent QB to develop

I think it will be this year, to at least take a swing at the plate 

You can’t hit a home run if you aren’t trying to swing the bat....

but I could be wrong..... ask my wife. 

Though they continue to say good things about JB, he would be the first guy out IMHO......

once you know a guy can’t be the starter at QB, you are wasting a spot and snaps to give to a developing QB

Even though Ballard gave Rivers a 1 year deal, I think Reich and Sirianni believe he will be extended. He said there was no drop off in his ability. Rivers could be our version of Peyton in Denver.  If so, JB would be the best bet for a backup, however with no starter expectations post Rivers.

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not at Georgia. That offense does not like to throw the ball a lot. They are a hardcore running offense. And they don’t have great talent at receiver either. Sage Surat will be a 1st or 2nd round WR next year. Georgia hasn’t had a great receiver since A.J. Green, and that’s no disrespect to Mecole Hardman.

Newman should have tried to transfer somewhere else. I’m surprised Bama wasn’t interested.

Well... whatever he’s able to do at Georgia will be done against the best top-to-bottom competition by far of any conference.... a good measure for evaluation if we don’t draft a QB this go around.

And he’ll also be operating with new OTs at both sides of the O-line.... and minus RB D’Andre Swift.

In other words.... if he has a successful senior year at Georgia it will be under circumstances that are less than ideal.... something Love lovers are quick to point to when explaining his senior year blips.

Its just something worth keeping an eye on if we decide to ride with Rivers - Brissett - Kelly this year.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:10 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Lol, it would be historic for me...I've never been the first to mention a lower draft player that got drafted by my team. Although the chances are slim...

Of course it helps that I am a Beaver fan and have watched him quite a bit. :D

3 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Well... whatever he’s able to do at Georgia will be done against the best top-to-bottom competition by far of any conference.... a good measure for evaluation if we don’t draft a QB this go around.

And he’ll also be operating with new OTs at both sides of the O-line.... and minus RB D’Andre Swift.

In other words.... if he has a successful senior year at Georgia it will be under circumstances that are less than ideal.... something Love lovers are quick to point to when explaining his senior year blips.

Its just something worth keeping an eye on if we decide to ride with Rivers - Brissett - Kelly this year.

We’ll see. He will definitely be tested by some good SEC defenses early on. Again though, the offense isn’t designed to feature the QB. He’s got an uphill battle. 

33 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Ive been on on the Gordon bandwagon forever so no need to jump off a week before.....

Smart!  I love Gordon.  I actually drove to WSU to scout him.  I watched all his games.  I love his release, accuracy, and moxy.    I think he is the perfect QB for the Colts to draft.  He played in Senior Bowl and should have been MVP.  He is very decisive, accuracy, and will push the ball down the field.

Archived