Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New wrinkles coming Sunday

Restinpeacesweetchloe

On 12/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, DougDew said:
On 12/18/2019 at 8:44 PM, DougDew said:

One thing, dump the read option play action off of the shotgun.  It never looks like a run to the RB, and nobody believes JB is a threat to run.  Go back to the traditional play action where the QB is under center and turns his back to the D for a split second.  We have the oline to give him the time.

In the times we go shotgun, go four wide.  Put Mack in motion from the back field and line him up all over the field.  Mack should be Sproles.  We've been using him as Blount (we haven't had a Sproles all year, because Hines sucks at it).

Been thinking the same thing,it doesn't fool anybody. They should try the stretch run fake like Peyton used to do. Think Mack would be good running the stretch play.

• Like 1

It really wasn't the scheme causing the problems though, was it?

It was Jacoby missing wide-open WRs (and those WRs included guys like Ashton Dulin in recent weeks).

It was the kicking game being a complete and utter failure.  And it was Brian Hoyer throwing TD passes to the opposing team.

The idea that scheme was the problem wasn't even an idea until these "wrinkles" were brought up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

It really wasn't the scheme causing the problems though, was it?

It was Jacoby missing wide-open WRs (and those WRs included guys like Ashton Dulin in recent weeks).

It was the kicking game being a complete and utter failure.  And it was Brian Hoyer throwing TD passes to the opposing team.

The idea that scheme was the problem wasn't even an idea until these "wrinkles" were brought up.

I know but when Brisette looked bad is was really bad.  Some wrinkles would have been nice a month ago 

• Like 1

You might want to consider that there are reasons why things weren’t done 4-6 weeks ago are going to be done now..

I don’t pretend to know what those reasons are...    I just know they exist. 

It’s not like the thought never occurred to this coaching staff.  Not with Ballard as the GM.

But to the crowd who thinks all the offensive problems will be fixed with JB’s eventual replacement, you might want to consider who we didn’t have for most of the season. 

Hilton has missed roughly half the season. 

Funchess has missed almost the entire season.

Ebron has either been hurt or ineffective. 

Campbell has either been hurt or ineffective.

Cain was either hurt or ineffective.

The Northern Iowa kid was hurt.  

The practice squad kids are just getting their feet wet. 

Everything that could go wrong,  DID go wrong. 

Brissett has mostly been throwing to nobodies who don’t scare anyone.   There have been almost no okay makers to give the offense some juice.  The problem isn’t just Brissett. 

• Like 3

1.  Yea maybe Brissett was throwing to nobodies, but there were many times he was missing wide open "nobodies" We had almost as many open receivers running through the saint secondary as they had running through ours, they scored 34, we scored 7. The difference was 100% qb play. You don't expect anyone to be as good as Brees, but you have to be better than what Brissett brings to the table.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:37 AM, zibby43 said:

Is a predictability thing?  Do the Colts need better self-scouting of their early down run tendencies? 

It's tricky, because of the developed game plan.  But good teams do self scout there tendencies, too. OTOH, it is (typically) the Quality Control guy in the booth job to track calls on game day, tendencies and result during a game. If, for a hypothetical example, the game plan calls for 1st down runs to the C gap with a pulling guard, and it has been called 4 different times already with a gain of 8 once, but also 3 TFL, then the QC guy needs to make sure the HC/OC is aware.  However, coaches can be stubborn and ignore the info and keep on 'doing what we do' as well. Or, adjust. We never know.

A few things I learned from listening to C. Weis...

A coach never calls a play without believing it is going to work.

Play calls and execution are supposed to work together.  Coaches are supposed to make calls that give players the best chance to succeed (execute).  But good execution can also make a bad call look pretty good.

Then there are the days no matter what is called, it doesn't work, and other days where it seemingly always works; even the bad call the players make it work.

Interesting.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, Chloe6124 said:

There is nothing silly about trying new things. Maybe they come across something that fits Jacobys abilities better. If he has to start next season and they figure something out these last two games the better off they are.

Your right. Sanitation engineer fits his abilities perfectly. Do you think he could hit the can?

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I thought the “new wrinkle” would be getting the TEs involved.  Short passes, etc.

Jacoby has no touch though.  

We’re getting a taste of how my Browns friends felt for almost 20 years. It’s not fun. 

There’s no defending the “franchise.” He’s terrible! 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You might want to consider that there are reasons why things weren’t done 4-6 weeks ago are going to be done now..

I don’t pretend to know what those reasons are...    I just know they exist. 

It’s not like the thought never occurred to this coaching staff.  Not with Ballard as the GM.

But to the crowd who thinks all the offensive problems will be fixed with JB’s eventual replacement, you might want to consider who we didn’t have for most of the season. 

Hilton has missed roughly half the season. 

Funchess has missed almost the entire season.

Ebron has either been hurt or ineffective. 

Campbell has either been hurt or ineffective.

Cain was either hurt or ineffective.

The Northern Iowa kid was hurt.  

The practice squad kids are just getting their feet wet. 

Everything that could go wrong,  DID go wrong. 

Brissett has mostly been throwing to nobodies who don’t scare anyone.   There have been almost no okay makers to give the offense some juice.  The problem isn’t just Brissett. 

honestly those are excuses to use those injuries lol bc when you watch the film  minus Funch everyone was getting open those who could easily catch contested passes were ignored..and those wide open weren’t looked at until too late or not at all our Wr don’t have to be superstars but they got open but he could not get them the ball now tell me why is that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I thought the “new wrinkle” would be getting the TEs involved.  Short passes, etc.

Jacoby has no touch though.  

We’re getting a taste of how my Browns friends felt for almost 20 years. It’s not fun. 

I thought the new wrinkles would be throwing for TDs.  Two games without a passing TD in a row now... ugh...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, will426 said:

honestly those are excuses to use those injuries lol bc when you watch the film  minus Funch everyone was getting open those who could easily catch contested passes were ignored..and those wide open weren’t looked at until too late or not at all our Wr don’t have to be superstars but they got open but he could not get them the ball now tell me why is that

Sorry....   you lost me at “everyone was getting open.”   Not one prayer was open, or some were open but EVERYONE was getting open.

Your word.

I don’t know if you’re talking about a bad game, but I think you’re implying wr’s getting open all season?

If that’s really your view then we have nothing to talk about.   I don’t know what you’re seeing. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....   you lost me at “everyone was getting open.”   Not one prayer was open, or some were open but EVERYONE was getting open.

Your word.

I don’t know if you’re talking about a bad game, but I think you’re implying wr’s getting open all season?

If that’s really your view then we have nothing to talk about.   I don’t know what you’re seeing. 

theyre getting open more than what people accuse them of not doing...there wouldn’t be a lot of footage of them being open and JB not seeing them and choosing the Checkdown..more or less i dislike the playcalling we are run first and run well but we barely use PlayAction when we do it’s so obvious we’re passing..and open doesn’t always mean open but if a guy is known for catching 50/50 balls it’s better to not throw it to him when there’s someone near at all? he doesn’t have good vision nor does he trust his receivers..look at how RT plays with the titans he barely knows them but trusts them to make a play and besides brown they’re all scrubs on that team WR wise..why couldn’t Mariota do the same? he didn’t trust them nor did he know how to read def 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, will426 said:

3rd round rookie Grier showed more touch and about the same passing ability as JB.
  Yes he had some balls sail on him, just as we have watched Brissett's issues this season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your word.

There have been WR's getting open.   Not all the time of course.   The Eagles are in a similar situation and Wentz played great yesterday.   JB just doesn't have the skill to read the field.   It's not surprising that the WR that JB is staring down doesn't get open.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

3rd round rookie Grier showed more touch and about the same passing ability as JB.
  Yes he had some balls sail on him, just as we have watched Brissett's issues this season.

saw that launch to Walker lol wasn’t intended for him but he Trusted his guy to make the catch we don’t even have that kind of trust here