Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New wrinkles coming Sunday

Restinpeacesweetchloe

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

At least he is trying some new things. Although a little to late.

If Brissett is still the QB, I am not watching the game...nor am I watching any more games with Brissett as the Colts QB. I will just check the scoreboard after the game. No need for me to buy Sunday Ticket anymore which I have done for the last 15 years.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

If Brissett is still the QB, I am not watching the game...nor am I watching any more games with Brissett as the Colts QB. I will just check the scoreboard after the game. No need for me to buy Sunday Ticket anymore which I have done for the last 15 years.

I discontinued my DirecTV service at halftime of MNF. I only had it for Sunday ticket, and pretty much only watch colts games...and the Colts are pretty unwatchable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s nice but it doesn’t matter if Jacoby is missing WRs as bad as he was Monday.  He has to put the ball on them.

Obviously dude

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

I discontinued my DirecTV service at halftime of MNF. I only had it for Sunday ticket, and pretty much only watch colts games...and the Colts are pretty unwatchable.

See u back next season

And dont be so MIZerable.

btw, i considered dropping DTV for same reasons.  I hate what they charge but i needs my Colts!  Of course i am still watching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is nothing silly about trying new things. Maybe they come across something that fits Jacobys abilities better. If he has to start next season and they figure something out these last two games the better off they are.

One thing, dump the read option play action off of the shotgun.  It never looks like a run to the RB, and nobody believes JB is a threat to run.  Go back to the traditional play action where the QB is under center and turns his back to the D for a split second.  We have the oline to give him the time.

In the times we go shotgun, go four wide.  Put Mack in motion from the back field and line him up all over the field.  Mack should be Sproles.  We've been using him as Blount (we haven't had a Sproles all year, because Hines sucks at it).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Obviously dude

See u back next season

And dont be so MIZerable.

btw, i considered dropping DTV for same reasons.  I hate what they charge but i needs my Colts!  Of course i am still watching.

It's not just the Colts, the NFL in general is getting pretty unwatchable.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Regardless, we don't need new wrinkles in the running game this week... so that would be stupid too. The only reason running game struggles at times is because the Ds don't respect the pass. Being that they mentioned TY in the discussion, it would have to be the passing game.

Anyway, the whole thing, regardless of what it's about, is pretty silly at this point. Seems like a pretty weak attempt to get a disappointed fan base to forget about missing the playoffs.

Random question, but where do the Colts stand in terms of negative run plays on 1st down?  I've lost count of how many 2nd and 13s or 2nd and 15s the Colts face after a ridiculously slow-developing run out of the shotgun on first down.  It's just as bad as a procedural penalty. 

Is a predictability thing?  Do the Colts need better self-scouting of their early down run tendencies? 

3 trends have really bothered me with the offense:

1) Predictable, slow-developing runs on 1st down.  The Colts have such a physical offense line.  Why not run some more power?  Is Jacoby not counting numbers, or is it the scheme? 

2) Lack of no-huddle and up-tempo in the offense.  Utilizing more up-tempo potentiates the effectiveness of the Colts' o-line.  Hardly ever used. 

3) O's inability to consistently get to the LOS in a timely manner; sometimes there's not enough time on the play clock for Jacoby to use motion to probe the defense and it ends up being a fire drill to get the ball snapped.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

We have watched every Colts game since the advent of the 'Sunday Ticket'. I don't believe we're going to gather on Sunday, for the same reason.

15 hours ago, coltsva said:

Good to know we are willing to add some new wrinkles and get creative AFTER we are eliminated.

I mean, trying these things to keep the other team off balance when we still had something to gain would have made no sense. 

“It’s a little too little, it’s a little too late”

Is that a Pat Benatar reference?

music video dancing GIF

• Thanks 1

It's not a complaint but I find it odd that the article mentions Brissett came to Reich with ideas. If I was underperforming at work, I'm not sure management would take my ideas seriously. But maybe there is some value in some disclosures like "I am uncomfortable in this formation" or "The second option should be o the same side of the field as the first option so I can be sure to see both" kind of things. Or "Glowinski doesn't like me, so he keeps letting his man through the line", lol.

Something about the not letting Kelly to take some snaps seems like the Colts know they would never be totally comfortable with him, so they are not even going to go down that road as long as there are other options.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Panthers are the 3rd worst run D in the league.... And now you want to get cute in the passing game. Starting to wonder WTH Reich is doing.  RTDB... 

Panthers aren't great against the pass either, but they are better than some of the horrible teams we've played like HOU, TEN, OAK, ATL, TB, and Miami. 

I don’t think it matters if a team is garbage in any phase. Against us, the other teams seem to have remedied their issues, at least for the week they play us. We play a team missing half of their starting oline and we should definitely get pressure, only we don’t touch their Qb all game. We come up against the worst ranked run D in the league and our top runner gets 48 yards. A passing defense missing their top 3 cb’s and even with them, they are bottom of the league, we should definitely torch that D. What happens, 2 picks and a completion % under 50 and no TD’s.

It’s just maddening how every other team can scheme us to mask their deficiency but we can’t. I don’t understand what’s happened to this team and their ability to create. I honestly believe the Panthers could put in their 3rd string team from the preseason and we would still struggle. It’s twighlight zone I tell you. 

16 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I'm definitely thinking more hurry up. Could they give JB more freedom to make changes at the line?  Audibles & hot route some receivers on 3rd down?

More freedom? He can’t read the defenses now and you think more freedom is going to help him all of a sudden know where to throw the hot route to? He doesn’t seem to know where blitz’s are coming from which has been a large part of this teams failures. I honestly don’t know what wrinkles this team can add to kickstart a poorly flawed QB. Heck, maybe Reich is suiting up, that would be a wrinkle. Idk 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

It's not a complaint but I find it odd that the article mentions Brissett came to Reich with ideas. If I was underperforming at work, I'm not sure management would take my ideas seriously.

JB is probably suggesting we put Kelly in because it’s clear that I suck at this starting gig coach. :funny:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

12 hours ago, TheMiz said:

I know. No more Colts and NFL for me either. I gutted my tv and  used the circuitry to build a ham radio.  I only communicate with Bigfoot hunters on Sundays. 10/4 good buddy. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Random question, but where do the Colts stand in terms of negative run plays on 1st down?  I've lost count of how many 2nd and 13s or 2nd and 15s the Colts face after a ridiculously slow-developing run out of the shotgun on first down.  It's just as bad as a procedural penalty. 

We are horrible on the left side of the OL in terms of negative plays. That said, the left side is also 4th best in the league on power rushes (on 3rd or 4th down, with 2 or less yards to go)

Is a predictability thing?  Do the Colts need better self-scouting of their early down run tendencies? 

IMO it's a few things, but mostly predictability because teams don't see us as a pass threat. They simply know we're likely to run left on early downs behind AC and Nelson. After predictability, I'd say Reich relies on zone blocking schemes (slow developing run plays) instead of hitting the hole hard (man blocking schemes). I'd also add that I absolutely hate Hines running between the tackles on early downs. He's just not that guy.

Here's a good sortable look at how we fare on the OL broken down by Left, Middle, and Right in several categories.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_LEFT_10PLUS_YDS_EACH

3 trends have really bothered me with the offense:

1) Predictable, slow-developing runs on 1st down.  The Colts have such a physical offense line.  Why not run some more power?  Is Jacoby not counting numbers, or is it the scheme? 

I think it's a mix of JB not checking into the right play, and scheme. Also perhaps packages (certain RBs). Mack and Williams are better IMO running behind man blocking schemes, while Wilkins is better picking his hole behind a zone.

But yes, I'd prefer going hard core power (man scheme) with Mack or Williams on 1st down. And believe me, the OL guys prefer power/man too.

2) Lack of no-huddle and up-tempo in the offense.  Utilizing more up-tempo potentiates the effectiveness of the Colts' o-line.  Hardly ever used. 

Agreed. I thought we'd see far more of this. I gave up though after the first quarter of the season. Reich is pretty dead set on trying to chew clock and be a possession run team with JAB at the helm. IMO, it would actually help JB and give him less time to think.

3) O's inability to consistently get to the LOS in a timely manner; sometimes there's not enough time on the play clock for Jacoby to use motion to probe the defense and it ends up being a fire drill to get the ball snapped.

I think this might be a product of Reich trying to help JB too much, or not trusting JB enough. We all know JB isn't great at IDing Ds, or checking into the right plays, so perhaps Reich feels he needs to provide too much from the sideline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t think it matters if a team is garbage in any phase. Against us, the other teams seem to have remedied their issues, at least for the week they play us. We play a team missing half of their starting oline and we should definitely get pressure, only we don’t touch their Qb all game. We come up against the worst ranked run D in the league and our top runner gets 48 yards. A passing defense missing their top 3 cb’s and even with them, they are bottom of the league, we should definitely torch that D. What happens, 2 picks and a completion % under 50 and no TD’s.

I simply think it goes back to Reich's comments about "playing our type of ball and making teams adjust to us". We've thrown a bunch vs the worst rushing Ds, Ran a lot vs the worst passing Ds, etc.. On D, it seems we only blitz on 3rd. We're one of the least blitzing teams in the league (all downs) and blitz a lot on 3rd. Seems we're likely the one of the most predictable teams out there. 

t’s just maddening how every other team can scheme us to mask their deficiency but we can’t. I don’t understand what’s happened to this team and their ability to create. I honestly believe the Panthers could put in their 3rd string team from the preseason and we would still struggle. It’s twighlight zone I tell you. 

Vs the Panthers, we should run it down throats, but will probably pass it all over the place. We should key on the run and play a bit of man with extra blitzing, but will likely give Grier all the time in the world, and soft zones to feast on underneath... 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

More freedom? He can’t read the defenses now and you think more freedom is going to help him all of a sudden know where to throw the hot route to? He doesn’t seem to know where blitz’s are coming from which has been a large part of this teams failures. I honestly don’t know what wrinkles this team can add to kickstart a poorly flawed QB. Heck, maybe Reich is suiting up, that would be a wrinkle. Idk 

JB has been horrible against the blitz. So many times we could have thrown right into the blitz for big plays but JB is caught off guard and tries to force it outside on the perimeter. Whatever razzle dazzle they have planned, I don't really care. Cute stuff doesn't distract from an inability to do the basics.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We are horrible on the left side of the OL in terms of negative plays. That said, the left side is also 4th best in the league on power rushes (on 3rd or 4th down, with 2 or less yards to go)

IMO it's a few things, but mostly predictability because teams don't see us as a pass threat. They simply know we're likely to run left on early downs behind AC and Nelson. After predictability, I'd say Reich relies on zone blocking schemes (slow developing run plays) instead of hitting the hole hard (man blocking schemes). I'd also add that I absolutely hate Hines running between the tackles on early downs. He's just not that guy.

Here's a good sortable look at how we fare on the OL broken down by Left, Middle, and Right in several categories.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_LEFT_10PLUS_YDS_EACH

I think it's a mix of JB not checking into the right play, and scheme. Also perhaps packages (certain RBs). Mack and Williams are better IMO running behind man blocking schemes, while Wilkins is better picking his hole behind a zone.

But yes, I'd prefer going hard core power (man scheme) with Mack or Williams on 1st down. And believe me, the OL guys prefer power/man too.

Agreed. I thought we'd see far more of this. I gave up though after the first quarter of the season. Reich is pretty dead set on trying to chew clock and be a possession run team with JAB at the helm. IMO, it would actually help JB and give him less time to think.

I think this might be a product of Reich trying to help JB too much, or not trusting JB enough. We all know JB isn't great at IDing Ds, or checking into the right plays, so perhaps Reich feels he needs to provide too much from the sideline. 

I just wanted to say I thought your post was well thought out...especially your idea about the fire drill at the LOS.

• Thanks 1

I’d come out with the flea flicker, then come out in a wishbone formation, then I’d line up with JB out wide and 3 RB’s in the QB formation with the other  2 flanking him. Maybe just have 3 olineman and the QB and RB with everyone else as the targets. Quick slant and boom, 6 points lol

I think the no huddle comment may be dead on. I've watched every game this year and the conclusion I've come to is that JB problems are in his head. I think he has all the physical tools. Size, arm strength, mobility, touch etc., what he doesn't seem to have is the one thing that makes QBs and PGs great. He doesn't handle pressure well. If he thinks he hesitates, and he doesn't trust himself enough not to think. Maybe going no huddle doesn't give him time to dwell on all the possible outcomes. Maybe it forces him to just play. The Mannings, Bradys, Rogers, Montanas and Lucks of the world thrive on pressure. Put them in a must win situation and they become better. Need a score with 2 minutes left and no timeouts, no problem. Playing a game you can't afford to lose,  bring it on. Playing against another top QB/PG they consider it a personal challenge. If you look at the difference between Luck vs JB's 4th quarter numbers alone you see this. I don't think that is JB's makeup. I believe he is a nice guy and well liked, but I wonder if others see him as a leader. Does he thrive under pressure or wilt? I think he wilts. My guess is Brady, Manning, Marino, etal., cared little whether they were loved just that they were respected and followed. If I'm right then I'm not sure you can fix that.  I think those types of people are born not made.

8 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

I would be happier if we stop having to use a timeout in each half because the offense doesn't know what play to run

Right, it seems in every game Jacoby lets the 30 second clock run down to near zero on countless downs. And either they get a delay penalty... or burn a timeout.

Simply unacceptable for Reich to allow this game after game.