Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Herbert would fit in with the colts

Herbert has everything you would want in a franchise QB. He has an extremely high IQ, elite physical traits, mobile, and a rocket arm. He plays his best against elite talent. Most importantly he doesn’t throw a lot of INT’s.

Herbert is the type of QB that would rather throw it away for an incompletion or take a sack then throw a INT. He’s a gunslinger but he’s a smart one. He’s exactly what this team need. 

On 12/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, DougDew said:

I agree.  He is the one QB I want for the Colts, who I think will definitely be an upgrade over JB.  The other QBs could be a wasted pick by being some project that never develops.

If we pick a QB in the first, Herbert is the guy I want, and we need to move up to pick #2 to take.

What does that cost?  Our first of course, and the Redskin's pick and our 1st and 2nd next year? 

I would actually make that trade.

Oh brother.  U really think this team is a rookie qb away from competing with the elite teams? We need a couple more drafts to get there.  This team cannot trade away their picks

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve openly hitched my wagon to Jordan Love as it seems like that’s Ballard’s guy. However, I also think that Hebert is the other option. A lot of mock drafts have had the Colts taking Herbert as well. I think one of the two are almost guaranteed to be a Colt next year. The question is do you trade up Herbert? Do you take Love at 15? We’re still waiting on the final draft order but I know for certain that the Colts are going to want to get in front of the Chargers.

To me, they are both decent prospects, but they both come with Risk

I need to watch some additional game time on Herbert

They both will probably lay an egg year one......  Most rookie QBs do........

Our probable 8-8 record will probably slide to 6-10 with a rookie QB

Look up PM's first year...... he was an INT machine

But... if we go that way..... hopefully we do MUCH better in year 2

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Honestly I agree. I think the risk level is about the same with them

But the plan wouldn’t be for either of them to start their rookie year. You ride Jacoby for the last year of his deal and let them sit and learn like Mahomes did. Then you have your starter for the 2021 season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Honestly I agree. I think the risk level is about the same with them

But the plan wouldn’t be for either of them to start their rookie year. You ride Jacoby for the last year of his deal and let them sit and learn like Mahomes did. Then you have your starter for the 2021 season.

I just watched some reviews of Herbert

Mostly positive stuff

I think he is gone before we pick, unless we trade picks to move down.

I would be ok with 

Tua

Burrows

Herbert

Love

3 of 4 will be gone

What the Colts will actually do is a head scratcher...........

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh brother.  U really think this team is a rookie qb away from competing with the elite teams? We need a couple more drafts to get there.  This team cannot trade away their picks

No I do not.  But if we NEED an elite QB to win the SB, that type of trade is what it will take.  Then it would take another few years to get to the SB.

I don't think we need an elite QB.  I think we need an accurate QB, on the occasional deep pass too, with skill players who can resemble doing something...ANYTHING...with the ball after they get it besides just run fast in open space.  Reich's scheme and play calling can guide the offense.  Moving the chains, scoring 17 to 27 points a game, no turnovers, limiting the number of possessions the opponent has is a game winning approach, IMO.

While I thought  Manning and Luck were fun to watch, it really only netted us 1 SB.....in the 20 years or so of having THE BEST QBs in the NFL.  ANd Manning did it while uncharacteristically playing like more like a game manager in that playoff run than at any point in his Indy career.

We won our SB when our elite Qb did not play like an elite Qb. Obviously, having an elite QB is not the solution.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Wouldn’t you describe Luck that way also? Herbert is a smart kid. He has like a 4.0 GPA and going to school for medicine. He is a kid you don’t have any concerns off the field. I was watching a interview with him. His personality reminds me a lot of Eli Manning.

Herbert?    And Luck,  the same personality?    No.   Not even a little.

The Andrew Luck that you know as a fan is not the same as Andrew Luck is with his teammates, both on the field and in the locker room.   Those are two completely different people.  

I wouldn’t call Luck shy.   I’d call him private.   And that’s not the same.   But, when it comes to football he is a leader of men.    Seriously.   Honestly. 

On 12/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve openly hitched my wagon to Jordan Love as it seems like that’s Ballard’s guy. However, I also think that Hebert is the other option. A lot of mock drafts have had the Colts taking Herbert as well. I think one of the two are almost guaranteed to be a Colt next year. The question is do you trade up Herbert? Do you take Love at 15? We’re still waiting on the final draft order but I know for certain that the Colts are going to want to get in front of the Chargers.

Love scouting report.

“However, Love still has a lot to work on, with his field vision being painfully bad. He consistently locks his eyes on his primary read and does not move them away. He stares down targets and does not look off defenders. Love must start reading the field, working through his progressions, and making better decisions. Team sources felt that Love should have returned for his senior year to improve before going to the NFL, but he declared for the draft. One team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Love.”

Don’t overlook the the guy down here in Miami. James Morgan.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:39 AM, MikeCurtis said:

By PM, do you mean Pat Mahomes?    His first year in the NFL?    Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Because KC’s Pat Mahomes played only one game his rookie year.   He threw 2 TDs and 1 interception.   Perhaps you’re confusing him with someone else?

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By PM, do you mean Pat Mahomes?    His first year in the NFL?    Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Because KC’s Pat Mahomes played only one game his rookie year.   He threw 2 TDs and 1 interception.   Perhaps you’re confusing him with someone else?

He's talking about Peyton. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

PM = Peyton Manning

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Love scouting report.

“However, Love still has a lot to work on, with his field vision being painfully bad. He consistently locks his eyes on his primary read and does not move them away. He stares down targets and does not look off defenders. Love must start reading the field, working through his progressions, and making better decisions. Team sources felt that Love should have returned for his senior year to improve before going to the NFL, but he declared for the draft. One team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Love.”

Don’t overlook the the guy down here in Miami. James Morgan.

That’s one of many. But his declaring for the draft means the draft advisory committee likely gave him a 1st round grade. But there will be multiple conflicting reports on Love.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s one of many. But his declaring for the draft means the draft advisory committee likely gave him a 1st round grade. But there will be multiple conflicting reports on Love.

Yep, they very likely gave him a high grade... at the very least day 2 grade for him to declare. 

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

For whatever it’s worth...  the draft is full of guys who come out early,  don’t get picked in the first, and later say the draft advisory board told him he likely would.  This happens.   

On 12/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I the team needs more talent across the board, but it's getting to the point where 10 plus rookies aren't gonna get spots on the roster.... So a trade up here and there I could see... And. If they think one guy is their man at QB, trading for him is the only way to get him sometimes ...