Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's the odds Luck un-retires?

ColtJax

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I keep seeing this. I can't really find the words to start in on how bizarre this is.

XFL CEO and Commissioner  is Oliver Luck

Its that simple

I do believe I have a post around here somewhere BEFORE Luck retired stating my previous statement about Luck to the XFL even if not as a player as some type or role. 

3 hours ago, Lef said:

Haven’t heard any reports of him working out and keeping in football shape. Would have expected that if he had thoughts of potentially coming back. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He frequently works out at the facility and visits. There was a picture with him and Jacoby and trust me he is in shape. He looked jacked.

2 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Saw photo a few months ago ,look jacked 

Yeah, he looks like he's still in pretty good shape to me.

efe6404a07224b54988c2257aa5fec48_md.jpg

It would be great to have him back.  He was mistake prone.  However, he was talented enough to overcome his mistakes and the flaws of the team.  It was much more exciting than watching the plodding Jacoby.   

Why do so many people feel it is necessary to call Luck a genius.  Yes, he is at the high end of intellect, but can we reserve the term for true genius?

4 hours ago, #12. said:

I couldn't say what the odds are, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.  I was completely shocked when he retired, but if I got an update saying he was returning, it wouldn't be shocking.

This is a special case.  The guy retired 3 months ago at age 29 with no major health issues.  If he wants to play, he'll play, and he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete to retire and then decide to return.

He certainly seems to be keeping himself in shape... but I guess when  you have $27 mil just sitting around and don't have to sit at a desk all day, keeping in good shape isn't too hard.  

Irsay did make it clear that if Andrew ever wants to come back to Indy, we'd welcome him with open arms.  

I doubt he comes back, but it does strike me a little odd that he seems to frequent the facility and workout with his old teammates.  You'd think with his money, he could build a gym in his basement or go to a private gym somewhere around Indy.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have had a feeling it could happen. He can’t be happy how it happened. Now saying that does Ballard  call and ask him if he wants to come back or do they let Luck come to them. Kevin Bowen said they should call him and just make small talk. Let him say he wants to come back. If he could come back just to finish his contract and we draft a QB that would be the best  Scenerio. I would bet if he does want to come back it happens pretty quick after the season.

I don't think he still has a 'contract.'  He retired.  They let him keep his signing bonus, but I don't think he is under any sort of binding contract if he does come back to Indy.  I could be wrong, but I'd think they'd have to renegotiate a new contract all together.

4 hours ago, strt182 said:

Its that simple

I do believe I have a post around here somewhere BEFORE Luck retired stating my previous statement about Luck to the XFL even if not as a player as some type or role. 

The Colts own his rights and can and will block him going to the XFL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Really?

Luck should figure out how to spread about $5M across sports books and unretire.

not sure how they would account for that other than its illegal

the odds are not that appealing either way imo.  -4000 for staying retired and +500 if he comes back

barely win anything if he stays retired and not that much if he does come back for being such a big underdog bet

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

So when your mate breaks up with you, do you'll sit around and pine after them like a lost puppy?

Hold your head high and move on...sheesh.

But IF he returns, trade the lost puppy's rights to Miami for 2 of their 3 first round picks. :bossy:

7 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Heck, old people get bored with retirement and he will too. I could see him helping his Dad but not playing QB...more of a business role or marketing publicity.

I'd agree with this, but it's probably a bit different if you have a vault full of money. You could buy something to do :D..

I'm just a run of the mill fan who doesn't know all the "ins and outs" of the NFL.  Since he "retired" is he out of his contract?  Reason I ask is if he was healthy and wanted to play in the NFL again does he have to come back to the Colts?  Could he walk up to another  team in the off season and say "I want to be your quarterback." kind of like a walk on?  

Just curious.  

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

But IF he returns, trade the lost puppy's rights to Miami for 2 of their 3 first round picks. :bossy:

I don't know if you happen to know the answer to this question, but whether or not he returns, can we trade away his rights?

Odds are that he will not return, so let's see if we can trade away his rights and get something, if that's at all possible.

12 hours ago, strt182 said:

Its that simple

It's that simple? *takes a breath*

So, do they give premier players 100 million dollars and allow them to compete for Super Bowl's in the XFL? No you say? Huh.. Well then it's a shoe in that a guy who's exhausted himself for the NFL game and stopped playing it, would go play in a smaller league, for less money, less notoriety, less everything that matters, football wise... 

And as was stated, on paper Luck's playing rights belongs to the Colts, not the XFL. Not the Patriots. Not the Raiders.

Like I said yesterday, I keep seeing this and I'm curious who it is and why they can't do the math on this one. It speaks to something larger and more concerning, but this isn't the place for that conversation.

Luck is 10 times the QB that JB is.  His ability to read a defense pre and post snap and then improvise based on what he was seeing was top notch.  If Grigs had been able to put a descent line in front of him and a average defense, the Luck probably would have lead the Colts to a SB trip in his first three years.  IMO, he was that good.  

But as a Colts fan, I don't want him back on the Colts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Odds are that he will not return, so let's see if we can trade away his rights and get something, if that's at all possible.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Luck is 10 times the QB that JB is.  His ability to read a defense pre and post snap and then improvise based on what he was seeing was top notch.  If Grigs had been able to put a descent line in front of him and a average defense, the Luck probably would have lead the Colts to a SB trip in his first three years.  IMO, he was that good.  

But as a Colts fan, I don't want him back on the Colts.

I get the emotional side of this point, but if you like seeing the Colts win on Sundays, I'm thinking Luck playing for the Colts is the best bet to see winning season(s) in the next few years. JB ain't the guy. Rookies aren't anything to bank on. Washed up vets could be okay as a stop gap, but it might also look like this season. Andy could right this thing faster than any one other person. The issue is, he retired a few weeks ago. I don't think he'll change his mind, but if he did, smart business puts him back under center.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

not sure how they would account for that other than its illegal

the odds are not that appealing either way imo.  -4000 for staying retired and +500 if he comes back

barely win anything if he stays retired and not that much if he does come back for being such a big underdog bet

True...but +500 on $5M would be quite nice.

He's not coming back though.

I get the emotional side of this point, but if you like seeing the Colts win on Sundays, I'm thinking Luck playing for the Colts is the best bet to see winning season(s) in the next few years

Not emotional at all.  Luck moved on... so have I.  As far as winning, I will be a Colts fan next season and the season after that and the season after that...  I understand there are ups and downs from one year to the next.

JB ain't the guy.

JB is not that guy, I believe that as well.

Rookies aren't anything to bank on. Washed up vets could be okay as a stop gap, but it might also look like this season.

Rookies aren't anything to bank on, yet teams sign 7-15 every year.

Andy could right this thing faster than any one other person. The issue is, he retired a few weeks ago. I don't think he'll change his mind, but if he did, smart business puts him back under center.

Andy Dalton?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not emotional at all.  Luck moved on... so have I.  As far as winning, I will be a Colts fan next season and the season after that and the season after that...  I understand there are ups and downs from one year to the next.

Quoted for poignant truth.

• Like 1

I'm not savy enough to reply to that without making a mess.

1st. I didn't say you were emotional per sey, I was implying that I get why people would want to or have "moved on". The big thrust of my post is that it would be dumb for Ballard and Irsay to "move on" if Luck changes his tune, because in my opinion there's no obvious better choices. 

To the point about Rookies, we don't sign 7-15 franchise QB's every year. And don't spin this, the point is that we're in the market for a QB and that's a crap shoot.

To the Andy Dalton point, I'm one of a small handful who has the stones to say he'd be okay and it would be a move up from JB. Brought that up the other day. I'd do that before I ran JB out there to start 2020, but I strongly doubt that's how the team will proceed.  But I was talking about Andy Luck. Andrew. 12. The guy we're discussing in the whole thread. (Honestly, did Andy Dalton retire a few weeks ago.. jeez)

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I'm not savy enough to reply to that without making a mess.

1st. I didn't say you were emotional per sey, I was implying that I get why people would want to or have "moved on". The big thrust of my post is that it would be dumb for Ballard and Irsay to "move on" if Luck changes his tune, because in my opinion there's no obvious better choices. 

How many times would you wait for the girl at the alter?  Luck is a risk because you never know when he will decide that the football fight is no longer worth it.

To the point about Rookies, we don't sign 7-15 franchise QB's every year. And don't spin this, the point is that we're in the market for a QB and that's a crap shoot.

Draft picks are a crap shoot no doubt but that is true for all rookies not just the QB position.  The point was that is no reason not to try.  And thanks for verbalizing it because that is my thought on Luck, if he were to "unretire" would be a crap shoot, not from a talent standpoint but from a commitment standpoint.  And a talent is easier to determine than commitment.

To the Andy Dalton point, I'm one of a small handful who has the stones to say he'd be okay and it would be a move up from JB. Brought that up the other day. I'd do that before I ran JB out there to start 2020, but I strongly doubt that's how the team will proceed.  But I was talking about Andy Luck. Andrew. 12. The guy we're discussing in the whole thread. (Honestly, did Andy Dalton retire a few weeks ago.. jeez)

Dalton is better than JB.  Just clarifying if that is who you were talking about.

18 hours ago, GusFring said:

He's done. He was a weirdo to begin with. If he does come back, it'll be after Indy drafts a qb so he can go to another team. 

And I seen him make some great plays (lots of QB's do) and I seen him make many bad and real bed plays also.  Luck was a good qb, but I do not put him in the elite.

TBH luck should just stay retired. He never seemed too invested in football anyways. Sorry that he had to go through injuries, and I don't know how he was in the locker room. But from afar, it was something about him that I just couldn't trust.

Put it this way, do you ever challenge or second guess the devotion of Peyton, Brady, or even Wilson? now add luck to this equation? Something is just different about the "all in" from luck, even when drafted.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ya, and fans are pining for the unknown girl behind door #3, as if it's this golden elixer "gonna make everything better", cure.

If you are dating the fat chick, you are probably willing to take the chance behind door #3.  

• Like 1