Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton ^messing^ Things Up

chrisfarley

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Media annoys me, he just left the team he was with his entire career, and will probably spend the rest of this career with this next team. His last shot at football, wouldn't you want to make the right choice? Regardless of what they say, I don't think Mannings only drive to his new team is money.

It's funny because Peyton has actually stayed as far away from the media as possible. It's them making their own noise and calling it Peyton noise. The one time I heard Peyton talk during the week of the Super Bowl (his interview with Trey), he kept saying that the attention should be on the Super Bowl and not on him

Many national media outlets think Peyton is playing this thing out intentionally to get more money, avoiding NCAA news,

That's odd.

Its early in the football off-season...

..and he has plenty of money....i.e. the $26 mil he banked last year.

Again..,Peyton Manning is probabaly the richest player in the NFL...

(maybe he just never planned on being a free agent and he doesnt know how to do it)

While I don't really buy into the media nonesense, since this is all business and the media attention will not affect Manning's value, we are yet to see what Manning really wants. If he plays for the Broncos, he has proven he wants a championship, the place is cold and Manning isn't used to it, but they have a great all around team. If he goes to somewhere like Miami, it's about the money and being comfortable. Manning will say alot about himself depending on who he signs with. Although he has knocked alot of non-contenders off the list.

Just one more thing to say when they run out of topics. The problem is how it influences feeble minded listeners.

I suspect that some commentators are getting tired from all the stress involved in trying to stay on top of the story, and showing impatience in the process. But what exactly is he doing that's wrong? I've never seen him ASKING to be followed around in a helicopter. He hasn't been talking to the media at ALL. He isn't manipulating the situation, he's just trying to ignore them long enough to make a rational decision. Peyton has only been a free agent a few more days than many many others in the league. Do we know or care how many teams any of THEM have talked to, or why they are taking "so long" to make up their minds? He isn't required to risk a poor and life altering decision just because some * has reached the limits of his brief attention span.

If he plays for the Broncos, he has proven he wants a championship, the place is cold and Manning isn't used to it, but they have a great all around team. If he goes to somewhere like Miami, it's about the money and being comfortable. Manning will say alot about himself depending on who he signs with.

Well Denver isn't all that cold, and Miami has already been removed from consideration. What does that tell you about him?

He has only spoken to teams that appear to be "a QB away" from being in serious contention. His priority is obviously winning - who would honestly think that it was anything else - with the "comfort" level of the various contenders being a secondary consideration. And half that comfort level seems to be related to his relationships with the football operations people, which comes right back to wanting to win again.

Many national media outlets think Peyton is playing this thing out intentionally to get more money...

What a shock! Denver offered him 5 years $90 Million and he's still holding out for more. But it's not about the money.

Just one more thing to say when they run out of topics.

Yep. Does "Linsanity" ring a bell? What a farce that was.

What a shock! Denver offered him 5 years $90 Million and he's still holding out for more. But it's not about the money.

What is your basis for the statement "he's holding out for more"?

What we were told is that his agent asked for a contract similar to his last contract in Indy. All parties appear to accept this. Peyton is now trying to decide between three teams based on football issues. The money will be comparable regardless.

No, he isn't going to accept a contract for $100 per week to play for the top Arena football league team just because he likes to win, but money has never been an issue in this decision in the sense that he is going to get a fortune wherever he goes. And guess what, he deserves it!. And guess what, every owner in the league is already worth a fortune, and theyre all ready, willing and able to pay Peyton because THEY want to win too. Why try to make him sound like he's a prostitute or something. Not necessary, accurate, or appropriate.

Peyton has made a science of preparation and the results speak for themselves but he really should make a decision soon.....before another team decides they want him too!

Peyton has made a science of preparation and the results speak for themselves but he really should make a decision soon.....before another team decides they want him too!

Maybe they have and we haven't heard about it yet. haha Remember we didn't know that he had already worked out for the 49ers before anyone knew about it. Some teams can keep quiet about things as we saw recently. That would be something if his decision is a team that hasn't been media reported. :scratch:

What is your basis for the statement "he's holding out for more"?

If it's all about winning, Denver and San Fran are the two remaining teams in the hunt that offer the best chance.

Denver has already offered him 5 years, $90 Million. But maybe San Fran will offer more.

And the simple fact that the Titans might very well get him should indicate that it may not just be about winning. Titans are nowhere close to being as good as Denver or the Niners.

"Titans sources" have reported that Manning will announce on Monday and that he willl be playing for the Titans. The Manning group is going over the contact today while Bud Adams attends his son's wedding, and things will be made official tomorrow.

If it's all about winning, Denver and San Fran are the two remaining teams in the hunt that offer the best chance.

Denver has already offered him 5 years, $90 Million. But maybe San Fran will offer more.

Speaking of believing everything you hear in the media. I seriously doubt he was offered a 5 year contract. I think that's a local Denver media bluff.

I have read some humorous comments on other boards that reek of impatience.

"What the @#$% is taking him so long"?

"He just loves the attention".

"Manning is trolling millions of fans".

Let the dude handle his business. Tens of millions of dollars at stake as well as the final act of a HOF career.

And the simple fact that the Titans might very well get him should indicate that it may not just be about winning. Titans are nowhere close to being as good as Denver or the Niners.

I honestly hope he does not go to the Titans, Denver isn't perfect but he may go there but if he wants a ring next year he'll choose San Francisco.

I honestly hope he does not go to the Titans, Denver isn't perfect but he may go there but if he wants a ring next year he'll choose San Francisco.

I'm hoping on Denver. Was a fan of Elway and the Broncos during their Elway years. The weapons he'd have in SF are mind twisting. Gore, Davis, Moss and Crabtree......whew. He'll kill the NFC with that group.

Anyone but Tennessee........please!

I'm hoping on Denver. Was a fan of Elway and the Broncos during their Elway years. The weapons he'd have in SF is mind twisting. Gore, Davis, Moss and Crabtree......whew. He'll kill the NFC with that group.

I'm afraid Tenn. has the edge. He went to Knoxville to work out for them instead of making them come to him. However, he might be at their home there. It's his and Ashley's anniversary today apparently. She might not want to have spent it in NC.

If he goes to Tennessee, then he's not serious about winning a championship. He'd go there for money and or to get revenge on the Colts, period. Some say he'd join Tennessee because he played college for them and that the fans love him, and while that's true, those qualities won't help him win a championship.

We're about to see what Peyton really thinks about the game of football. If he's a competitor, like he says he is, he will stay away from Tennessee.

I'm afraid Tenn. has the edge. He went to Knoxville to work out for them instead of making them come to him. However, he might be at their home there. It's his and Ashley's anniversary today apparently. She might not want to have spent it in NC.

For me, a Colts fan, I have to do what I always do.....pros and cons of him playing in Tenn;

Pros;

We get to see him at least twice a year.

He and his family will be happy living there during the season.

Cons;

We have to play him at least twice a year.

I have figuratively defecated upon the Titans franchise since the 1999 playoffs.

Speaking of believing everything you hear in the media. I seriously doubt he was offered a 5 year contract. I think that's a local Denver media bluff.

Denver Post article. 5 years, $90 Million. Link

Think whatever you like, I'll stick to the newspaper.

If he goes to Tennessee, then he's not serious about winning a championship. He'd go there for money and or to get revenge on the Colts, period. Some say he'd join Tennessee because he played college for them and that the fans love him, and while that's true, those qualities won't help him win a championship.

We're about to see what Peyton really thinks about the game of football. If he's a competitor, like he says he is, he will stay away from Tennessee.

I don't want to see him in Tennessee because I don't like them, but your conclusion is a bit much. You are talking as if they are Cleveland. He wanted to stay in INDY go crying out loud despite their issues. For one, he is confident that he can win wherever he goes. For another, he DOES have have reasons for going to the Titans that are far less juvenile than the ones you list - period.

You can try and simplify it in your mind all you want if it makes you happy, but there a ton of things to consider, and you have NO IDEA what he is thinking. We do, on the other hand, have a fair idea of what kind of person he is and what his values are.

A third NFL source indicated that all involved teams are comfortable working off Manning's previous contract with the Indianapolis Colts, which was five years for $90 million, or an average of $18 million per year. Additionally, Manning was to receive $61.8 million through the first two years of his contract with the Colts.

....and that was a contract drawn up 1 year ago. Though it makes sense that Peyton's now nullified contract with the Colts may provide the essential framework, the deal will not be for 5 years, no way.

Again, you're taking the media and their "sources" for their word. Why?

The article that you quote actually says:

"A third NFL source indicated that all involved teams are comfortable working off Manning's previous contract with the Indianapolis Colts, which was five years for $90 million, or an average of $18 million per year.................Both the Broncos and Tennessee Titans are working off the general framework of that contract. "

This is what I was referring to earlier in replying to another post of yours. There is NOTHING in the article to suggest that any of the three teams have already made a contract offer. Peyton's AGENT gave ALL the teams the parameters. The story is NOT that the "Broncos have already made him a $90 million dollar offer", and certainly NOTHING to justify your earlier absurd conclusion that Manning is "holding out for more". Just stop already.

I'm hoping on Denver. Was a fan of Elway and the Broncos during their Elway years. The weapons he'd have in SF are mind twisting. Gore, Davis, Moss and Crabtree......whew. He'll kill the NFC with that group.

The thought of a Colts fan liking Elway is pretty mind twisting in it's own right. I'm ready to respect him through Peyton's eyes and for his benefit, but after nearly 30 years of gritting my teeth at the sound of his name, it isn't easy.

The thought of a Colts fan liking Elway is pretty mind twisting in it's own right. I'm ready to respect him through Peyton's eyes and for his benefit, but after nearly 30 years of gritting my teeth at the sound of his name, it isn't easy.

These are childhood memories formed before I even knew what a draft was. Also, I wasn't a Colts fan until they moved to my new city (Indy) at the age of 10. So my Elway fandom predates my Colts fandom.

I don't want to see him in Tennessee because I don't like them, but your conclusion is a bit much. You are talking as if they are Cleveland. He wanted to stay in INDY go crying out loud despite their issues. For one, he is confident that he can win wherever he goes. For another, he DOES have have reasons for going to the Titans that are far less juvenile than the ones you list - period.

You can try and simplify it in your mind all you want if it makes you happy, but there a ton of things to consider, and you have NO IDEA what he is thinking. We do, on the other hand, have a fair idea of what kind of person he is and what his values are.

You are correct that we cannot know what he is thinking, but to suggest we know what kind of person he is, and what values he has is a stretch.