Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love charged with possession of marijuana

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Excerpt-

Assistant Logan City Police Chief Jeff Simmons says officers did not find any drugs or drug paraphernalia at the scene.

The police had probable cause, however, because of the smell of marijuana inside and outside. Officers asked suspects for consent to do a drug test.

The suspects said no to the drug test, Simmons says. The police called a judge for a warrant. The warrant was issued and the suspects were drug tested on scene. The suspects tested positive for marijuana.

https://fox13now.com/2019/12/17/jordan-love-two-other-usu-football-players-charged-with-marijuana-possession/

Love was one of the three football players, a track an d field athlete was the 4th suspect.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Can't find it right now so maybe it was updated, but I read a story that said seven people were present, and three were tested. It didn't specify who the three were.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

The policy around booze centers around "abuse". The policy around MJ is zero tolerance. 

Wrong.  It is also zero tolerance for any violation of law where alcohol is involved. First time, ven though it is a typically a legal substance.  Fines and 2 game suspensions (additional) for the alcohol violation.

2.2  Violations of Law Involving Alcohol

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a Player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or 20.(2016)similar  arrangement  including  but  not  limited  to nolo  contendere)  relating to the use of alcohol.

Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for two(2) regular or postseason games. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct, extreme intoxication (BAC of.15% or more), property damage or serious injury or death to the  Player or a third party, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense, absent  aggravating  circumstances, will be a suspension without pay for eight(8)regular and/or postseason games as determined by the Commissioner.

The views on MJ is shifting. MLB has removed MJ from it's punishable substances. The NBA and NFL will follow suit later. 

The NFL/NFLPA agreed to a revision that raised the threshold required to test positive for marijuana from 15 nanograms of THC per milliliter to 35 nanograms (for comparison’s sake, Major League Baseball used to have a threshold of 50 nanograms, and the World Anti-Doping Agency uses a threshold of 150 nanograms). The relaxation of the threshold for marijuana, such that it was, answered player concerns for invoking a positive test due to second-hand smoke. In exchange, HGH testing was allowed.

And also increased was the number of failed tests before suspensions kicked in.

The next CBA should likely have an even more relaxed testing/punishment policy, I would think.  But the NFL will be slower than the NBA and NHL in reform.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Wrong.  It is also zero tolerance for any violation of law where alcohol is involved. First time, ven though it is a typically a legal substance.  Fines and 2 game suspensions (additional) for the alcohol violation.

2.2  Violations of Law Involving Alcohol

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a Player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or 20.(2016)similar  arrangement  including  but  not  limited  to nolo  contendere)  relating to the use of alcohol.

Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for two(2) regular or postseason games. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct, extreme intoxication (BAC of.15% or more), property damage or serious injury or death to the  Player or a third party, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense, absent  aggravating  circumstances, will be a suspension without pay for eight(8)regular and/or postseason games as determined by the Commissioner.

Is violating the law not abuse? Come on my friend.

The NFL/NFLPA agreed to a revision that raised the threshold required to test positive for marijuana from 15 nanograms of THC per milliliter to 35 nanograms (for comparison’s sake, Major League Baseball used to have a threshold of 50 nanograms, and the World Anti-Doping Agency uses a threshold of 150 nanograms). The relaxation of the threshold for marijuana, such that it was, answered player concerns for invoking a positive test due to second-hand smoke. In exchange, HGH testing was allowed.

And also increased was the number of failed tests before suspensions kicked in.

The next CBA should likely have an even more relaxed testing/punishment policy, I would think.  But the NFL will be slower than the NBA and NHL in reform.

Yup, NFL will be last to follow suit. Hypocrisy around the shield, while they turn a blind eye to opiod pain management... 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Can't find it right now so maybe it was updated, but I read a story that said seven people were present, and three were tested. It didn't specify who the three were.

This article doesn't come up?

https://tinyurl.com/sdvju9k

Still shows for me, and hasn't been updated.  The statement was a quote from the Assistant Chief of Police of Logan.

Is violating the law not abuse? Come on my friend.

It is all abuse, thus the name-

National Football League Policy on Substances of Abuse

Read this about the punishments, where it shows Alcohol violation (from DUI and up) is no tolerance, and a failed drug test is not zero tolerance, they get placed in stage 1, no fines/suspensions.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/13/nfl-new-drug-policy-three-things/15571205/

You come on, my friend.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, NFL will be last to follow suit. Hypocrisy around the shield, while they turn a blind eye to opiod pain management... 

Players that have never tested positive before can smoke all they want during the season. It's not tested for at all.

Off season, (mainly coming in to OTA's, camp, etc) is when they do.

• Like 1

Players that have never tested positive before can smoke all they want during the season. It's not tested for at all.

would this count towards that for love or not?  thats what im not clear on

i dont think tunsil was ever put into the leagues drug testing program for smoking in college 

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Read this about the punishments, where it shows Alcohol violation (from DUI and up) is no tolerance, and a failed drug test is not zero tolerance, they get placed in stage 1, no fines/suspensions.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/13/nfl-new-drug-policy-three-things/15571205/

You come on, my friend.

what about my original statement is not true.

The policy around booze centers around "abuse". The policy around MJ is zero tolerance. 

Point is, alcohol can be used responsibly, and the league doesn't care (only steps in when there is abuse). MJ can not be used responsibly (zero tolerance). When I say zero tolerance, I don't mean they get immediately booted or suspended, but they do start a "process". 

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Off season, (mainly coming in to OTA's, camp, etc) is when they do.

So basically encouraging those who smoke to do it while on the job, and not in the offseason.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

would this count towards that for love or not?  thats what im not clear on

i dont think tunsil was ever put into the leagues drug testing program for smoking in college 

Well, there is a behavior clause in the collective bargaining agreement that could make it possible for Love to enter Stage 1 of the substance abuse program once drafted.

The clause states: "Behavior including, but not limited to, an arrest or conduct related to an alleged misuse of substances of abuse occurring up to two football seasons prior to the player's applicable scouting combine, which, in the judgment of the medical director, exhibits physical, behavioral, or psychological signs or symptoms of misuse of substances of abuse."

So it is possible, but Tunsil wasn't because his story was the video was from 2 years prior; timeline.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

So basically encouraging those who smoke to do it while on the job, and not in the offseason.

It seems that way. 

Maybe it appears like a take it instead of opioids while you're getting beat up during the season. But when you're all healed up after months of recuperation over the winter, don't show up to training camp with severe cases of the munchies... be ready to work.

But I'm not saying that...

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

what about my original statement is not true.

The zero tolerance portion.  Fail a test, no fines-no suspensions. Tolerance.  But they do get a trip to Stage 1 of the program for 90 days.

Point is, alcohol can be used responsibly, and the league doesn't care (only steps in when there is abuse).

As does society. It is a fully legal item.  But even then government entities invoke things like sobriety checkpoints, etc. to ensure responsibility.

MJ can not be used responsibly (zero tolerance). When I say zero tolerance, I don't mean they get immediately booted or suspended, but they do start a "process". 

You and I have a different definition of tolerance.  The only process is they are placed in Stage 1 for 90 days.  I consider that very tolerable punishment for an offense.  Pass by 90 days and they are free once more. But fail there, violations thereafter are no tolerance involving fines, and moving to stage two. Testing is now unannounced and up to 10 times per month in Stage 2.

From the end of the last game to the beginning of next seasons game is when players can be tested for.  But the test date period always, in the NFL's funny state of irony, begins on April 20, 4/20, get it? 420. ;) and runs through sometime mid August. Most often at beginning of OTA's or a teams training camp.

From game one through the end of week seventeen, there is 100% tolerance. No tests, no process as we mentioned before.

I must mention here I thought I heard an ex GM (maybe Polian, maybe someone else) say they (GM's/Owners) felt the test (especially at the Combine) may show the heart of the player to abstain at least for a period because of his love for the game.  Who knows.

My initial reaction was: Awesome, he just got cheaper.

Real talk though, I completely understand the worries about decision making on his behalf that some of you are saying. It's not a good move when you've got all eyes on you and need to step up.

That being said, personally speaking, I could care less about usage of weed, legal or not. Coming from a family of alcoholics and being a certified emt I'm more concerned about LEGAL consumption of booze and its effects.

I liked the kid going to us but I was on the fence about spending a first rounder on him. This might have him fall into a more comfortable risk vs. reward range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It does, but it conflicts with what I think I read yesterday. 

I don't know. Today is the first time I saw the article, I didn't have access to it yesterday, only saw the title. No idea if there was a correction or something. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

This is the article you’re referring to:

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/12/17/21026577/three-utah-state-football-players-charged-with-marijuana-possession-jordan-love-gerold-bright

But Ive also read conflicting reports on the event. Utah State hasn’t announced any discipline for him and the bowl game is tomorrow so maybe they know something

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is the article you’re referring to:

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/12/17/21026577/three-utah-state-football-players-charged-with-marijuana-possession-jordan-love-gerold-bright

But Ive also read conflicting reports on the event. Utah State hasn’t announced any discipline for him and the bowl game is tomorrow so maybe they know something

That's closer. But that article confirms they were all tested, and those who weren't positive were not charged. So that settles that.  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Did the alleged President smoke within 6 months of his election, or get cops called on him because of smell leaking into the public? C'mon man...

My post wasn't just about athletes being held to higher standards than Presidents when it comes to victimless crimes like smoking marijuana. I can see that it wasn't clear, but I was talking broadly. My bad.  People get more upset over an athlete smoking pot than they do a President doing, objectively, much worse and showing far worse character flaws.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:01 PM, MPStack said:

1. He’s only been a starter going on 2 years

2. His knees hurt

3. The injuries to the WR’s

4. The WR’s aren’t very good

5. Need to draft Ceede Lamb cuz that will make him better 

6. He needs more weapons

7. It’s Frank’s fault

8. He’s still “developing”

9. Hoyer sucks

Too bad he's not the son of a famous player and gets drafted with the final pick,  then we could put him on the practice squad after he gets cut where he would be hailed as the savior of the franchise. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Too bad he's not the son of a famous player and gets drafted with the final pick,  then we could put him on the practice squad after he gets cut where he would be hailed as the savior of the franchise. 

Sorry, I’m not in the “Chad Kelly Fan Club” 

However, I admire you’re loyalty to JB?

Cheers

• Like 1

I was going to comment on the silliness of weed infractions, but I forgot my point....

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Cheers

I was just adding to your list of silly takes. Wasn't directed at you. Also, I wouldn't say I'm loyal to him, but I would rather the Colts stick with him until the right QB opportunity comes along, rather than reaching in the draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Cheers

I am not in the Chad Kelly Fan Club either although I think he should play these last 2 weeks so we can see what we have in him. I think some of the loyalty shown to JB by some in here is just based on, he is the best QB on the roster. Having said that eventhough I defend JB some I think we should draft another QB assuming Luck doesn't comeback because he possibly could be better than JB. The unknown has some people scared and the fear of wasting a 1st round draft pick on a QB that may be worse than JB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You come on, my friend.

I think his point was this:

Alcohol

- Use: No problem

- Abuse: No problem

- Use or Abuse coupled w/ criminal behavior (DUI, drunk in public, etc): Problem

Marijuana

Use: Problem

I know there's legal differences, but testing for private use is asinine.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Awesome research on the player

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not in the Chad Kelly Fan Club either although I think he should play these last 2 weeks so we can see what we have in him. I think some of the loyalty shown to JB by some in here is just based on, he is the best QB on the roster. Having said that eventhough I defend JB some I think we should draft another QB assuming Luck doesn't comeback because he possibly could be better than JB. The unknown has some people scared and the fear of wasting a 1st round draft pick on a QB that may be worse than JB.

I agree with all of your points ‘06... and count me in as one who is very skittish about us overvaluing a QB and passing on a premium “best in breed” DT at the same time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shive said:

I think his point was this:

Alcohol

- Use: No problem

yup

- Abuse: No problem

no harm/damage to people/property-  yup.

- Use or Abuse coupled w/ criminal behavior (DUI, drunk in public, etc): Problem

Yup

Marijuana

Use: Problem

No problem between game 1 and game 16 in the NFL

Minor Problem if failed urine test between 4/20 and 8/10 or so...for NFL employment purposes

Bigger problem if failed test while in stage 1

Problem if Use or Abuse coupled w/ criminal behavior

I know there's legal differences, but testing for private use is asinine.

So corporations looking to hire top notch staff for their business shouldn't test/care about private use?

This thread is full of “what is legal” but what about “ what is best”?  I view his actions as being less than best. He was already going to be a prospect that needed to sit and learn. He did himself no favors.  

A personal note. I have never used the substance so I know It’s not that hard to pull off.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

So corporations looking to hire top notch staff for their business shouldn't test/care about private use?

These days, no most don't test. I work for a large financial investment company that doesn't test and more and more large companies have gone this route. If your hiring process is good and thorough enough, what substances someone uses in their private life isn't relevant. As long as you're not using while on the clock and it's not adversely affecting your job performance.

In my opinion, as long as a player isn't showing up to practice, meetings, film sessions, games, etc. under the influence of a substance or being adversely affected by use of a substance, what they do in their private life (with the exception of arrests and such) is of no concern to the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

This thread is full of “what is legal” but what about “ what is best”?  I view his actions as being less than best. He was already going to be a prospect that needed to sit and learn. He did himself no favors.  

A personal note. I have never used the substance so I know It’s not that hard to pull off.

more like some people care about weed and others dont.

lots of good players in the league have smoked and probably still do

19 hours ago, Four2itus said:

i dont think hes the savior, but he did play in the preseason and looked better than jacoby

a lot of people say they trust the coaches decisions, but i dont necessarily.  they get stuff wrong all the time too