Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love charged with possession of marijuana

2 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Just to get the opinions of @stitches/ Others who would stand on the table for Jordan Love:

Does this news do anything when it comes to how you view Love (i.e. does he go down in your QB/player rankings or remain where he is?)

Because for me, I like Love but I would prefer to draft him in with the Redskins pick/ trade back into the 1st round for him and get a DT with our first pick and I feel like this news may consolidate this idea and I just wanted to get the thoughts of others who really like Love.

I've been pretty high on Love and just got comfortable with the idea of using our 1st round pick on him.

I don't think it changes my view of him with respect to where I'd rank him among his peers at this point. I don't see a lapse in judgement with weed being enough of a red flag for me to think a QB I have ranked below him should leapfrog him. I don't think a guy like Fromm has the talent or upside for me to want to suddenly pick him over Love.

It does, however, make me feel like maybe our first 2nd round pick could be more appropriate once again for Love.

How his court case from the arrest goes (what the full story is) and how he handles the barrage of questions about it will be huge for him. If he owns it and says all the right things, then does well in the combine/pro day drills, I think he could definitely rise back up to be worth our 1st.

I agree. It is just such poor judgement. I know he is a kid but that is not an excuse. You don’t see Herbert, Eason, Hurts and Fromm getting busted. Why? They know that this whole season and everything from now until the draft is a job interview. You gotta be smarter. 

Like I said earlier. Name me one QB taken high in draft that has this on their resume?

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I agree. It is just such poor judgement. I know he is a kid but that is not an excuse. You don’t see Herbert, Eason, Hurts and Fromm getting busted. Why? They know that this whole season and everything from now until the draft is a job interview. You gotta be smarter. 

Like I said earlier. Name me one QB taken high in draft that has this on their resume?

Poor judgement?

C'mon, lighten up..... it's not like he went snowboarding during a shoulder rehab. :hide::burnout::peek:

12 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Just to get the opinions of @stitches/ Others who would stand on the table for Jordan Love:

Does this news do anything when it comes to how you view Love (i.e. does he go down in your QB/player rankings or remain where he is?)

Because for me, I like Love but I would prefer to draft him in with the Redskins pick/ trade back into the 1st round for him and get a DT with our first pick and I feel like this news may consolidate this idea and I just wanted to get the thoughts of others who really like Love.

For me it's not a game changer, but it's a brow raiser. I have no issue with anyone smoking weed, but this is not about this. It's about decision making. Those high end prospect have two jobs after they decide to declare for the draft - to prepare for the draft process and to stay out of trouble and he got in trouble 3 days before his bowl game. Less than ideal. 

Now with that said, I have not heard of him being a knucklehead, I haven't heard of him failing tests, etc. on the contrary - most of what I've heard about him off the field has been overwhelmingly positive, so this wouldn't stop me from drafting him, but Ballard would need to do his due diligence and get the required intel to make sure that's an isolated incident with poor judgement, rather than something we can expect to repeat in the future. 

About where to draft him - no idea... IMO if you love him and think he's your guy, you don't risk it, you take him with your pick... or at the very least you trade up from the Redskins pick to the late 1st in order to get that extra year. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

For me it's not a game changer, but it's a brow raiser. I have no issue with anyone smoking weed, but this is not about this. It's about decision making. Those high end prospect have two jobs after they decide to declare for the draft - to prepare for the draft process and to stay out of trouble and he got in trouble 3 days before his bowl game. Less than ideal. 

Now with that said, I have not heard of him being a knucklehead, I haven't heard of him failing tests, etc. on the contrary - most of what I've heard about him off the field has been overwhelmingly positive, so this wouldn't stop me from drafting him, but Ballard would need to do his due diligence and get the required intel to make sure that's an isolated incident with poor judgement, rather than something we can expect to repeat in the future. 

About where to draft him - no idea... IMO if you love him and think he's your guy, you don't risk it, you take him with your pick... or at the very least you trade up from the Redskins pick to the late 1st in order to get that extra year. 

There's no way in the world I would spend a draft pick on him after this.

Think about it.... the Colts QB depth chart next training camp would be....

Brissett - Hoyer - Kelly and Love..... after getting flagged for a drug test?

Sorry.... I'm not okay with that.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The story says they got a warrant to get a urine test and they all tested positive. What makes the story crazier is both his parents are cops.

IDK, so they didn't find any drugs or paraphernalia at the apartment, but got a warrant to test all of them because of a smell. Any good lawyer will eat that up legally. It's more tricky how the school and NCAA will treat it, but legally it won't amount to a hill of beans.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Come on folks, we've had presidents that have smoked weed...

Oh I forgot, they didn't inhale lol....

The problem, for me, is this....

1. It can lead to suspension in the NFL....them's the rules whether you agree with it or not.

2. It can impair one's motivation and performance.

Why do we want to even chance going down this road at the QB position?

For me....he's off the board.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm almost embarrassed for you...

In addition to physical traits, there are things called personality traits.

I'm sure that you are almost embarrassed for me, that you're sincere and not just trying to get under my skin.

You're a stat guy, probably think analytics are useful; meaning, one of your traits is about parroting modern and popular approaches, (especially if the approach tends to put someone in the "smart" or "educated" bucket)  which may include ways of thinking about social issues (more to the point, parroting how we're NOT supposed to think about them)

So its not surprising to me that you stepped up to comment on my post. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK, so they didn't find any drugs or paraphernalia at the apartment, but got a warrant to test all of them because of a smell. Any good lawyer will eat that up legally. It's more tricky how the school and NCAA will treat it, but legally it won't amount to a hill of beans.

So you're ready to split hairs and play legal jiu jitsu for this kid and overlook a reckless lapse in judgement that, if repeated, could get him suspended in the NFL?

And why? Because he has a nicer roll-out and better touch on his passes than Brissett?

C'mon man... if JB is not the way forward at QB for us we gotta make sure that whoever that guy is will do everything in his power to protect the opportunity, right?

8 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

We as Americans hold professional athletes to a MUCH higher standard than we do the President. For some reason...?

Pretty silly isn't it.

1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

1. It can lead to suspension in the NFL....them's the rules whether you agree with it or not.

Booze can lead to all of that (trouble and suspension) too. Impair one's motivation and performance? LOL. It's not like he smoked up right before practice or a game.  So you are saying casual and responsible use like alcohol is going to be a permanent hindrance to performance/motivation.  The MLB just dropped weed from their punishable offenses and it will only be time before the NBA and NFL follow. Most states have either legalized or are trying to make it legal. 

I'm not a big fan of weed smoking kids either, but it's no worse than booze. It's actually probably less risky. When's the last time weed stimulated a crime like alcohol does on a very regular basis. 

4 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

So you're ready to split hairs and play legal jiu jitsu for this kid and overlook a reckless lapse in judgement that, if repeated, could get him suspended in the NFL?

And why? Because he has a nicer roll-out and better touch on his passes than Brissett?

C'mon man... if JB is not the way forward at QB for us we gotta make sure that whoever that guy is will do everything in his power to protect the opportunity, right?

The NFL will likely drop weed like the MLB did from their punishable offenses in their next CBA. Will you care once that happens?

If the kid interviews well, and understands he can't do it so long it's in the rule book, I have no problem with him. You're acting like he beat some one up, wrecked a car under the influence, or did something so bad it should impact his career and life.

And I said the NCAA and school would look at this differently than the legal side. So not sure what your point is about legal j/j.... The pearl clutching on this topic is hilarious. 

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-state-sports/2019/12/17/three-utah-state-athletes/

This story doesn’t mention any drug tests. His lawyer also says there wasn’t any marijuana recovered from the scene. Something is not adding up here. I’ve also never heard of people being drug tested for marijuana by the cops on the scene. You could only test for that with a urine test and I think it takes awhile to get those results.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

they dont punish people for stuff that happens before they are in the league 

lots of players smoke too

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

In addition to physical traits, there are things called personality traits.

I'm sure that you are almost embarrassed for me, that you're sincere and not just trying to get under my skin.

You're a stat guy, probably think analytics are useful; meaning, one of your traits is about parroting modern and popular approaches, (especially if the approach tends to put someone in the "smart" or "educated" bucket)  which may include ways of thinking about social issues (more to the point, parroting how we're NOT supposed to think about them)

So its not surprising to me that you stepped up to comment on my post. 

I'm way more than a stat guy. I can read people with the best of them and have run large orgs and companies most of my life. Truth is, nobody on this board knows him well enough to read him. There's simply not enough out there. If you're claiming to have a bead on him, it's pretty laughable. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty silly isn't it.

Booze can lead to all of that (trouble and suspension) too. Impair one's motivation and performance? LOL. It's not like he smoked up right before practice or a game.  So you are saying casual and responsible use like alcohol is going to be a permanent hindrance to performance/motivation.  The MLB just dropped weed from their punishable offenses and it will only be time before the NBA and NFL follow. Most states have either legalized or are trying to make it legal. 

I'm not a big fan of weed smoking kids either, but it's no worse than booze. It's actually probably less risky. When's the last time weed stimulated a crime like alcohol does on a very regular basis. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The NFL will likely drop weed like the MLB did from their punishable offenses in their next CBA. Will you care once that happens?

If the kid interviews well, and understands he can't do it so long it's in the rule book, I have no problem with him. You're acting like he beat some one up, wrecked a car under the influence, or did something so bad it should impact his career and life.

And I said the NCAA and school would look at this differently than the legal side. So not sure what your point is about legal j/j.... The pearl clutching on this topic is hilarious. 

I don't know his level or timing of usage....and neither do you.... and yet you're commenting as if there is no concern whatsoever.

I DO know this.... I want our assessment of the Colts QB position to be free of this type of question mark.... let it be assessed over talent alone.

Once character or judgement issues come into play we have a plate of unnecessary crap to worry about. I'm not willing to risk that and if the report is true.... I hope Ballard isn't either.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm way more than a stat guy. I can read people with the best of them and have run large orgs and companies most of my life. Truth is, nobody on this board knows him well enough to read him. There's simply not enough out there. If you're claiming to have a bead on him, it's pretty laughable. 

All anyone is saying is that if he flunked a drug test..... he's raised a red flag that some of us aren't willing to take a risk in drafting him over.

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they dont punish people for stuff that happens before they are in the league 

lots of players smoke too

You sure about that Aaron?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1875478-breaking-down-how-the-nfl-substance-abuse-policy-works

For recreational drugs, the penalties are set up in stages. Anyone with a positive test (pre or postdraft) enters the program. Failure to comply with the program's zero-tolerance policy carries a penalty dependent on which step of the program the player is in. 

15 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

You sure about that Aaron?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1875478-breaking-down-how-the-nfl-substance-abuse-policy-works

For recreational drugs, the penalties are set up in stages. Anyone with a positive test (pre or postdraft) enters the program. Failure to comply with the program's zero-tolerance policy carries a penalty dependent on which step of the program the player is in. 

does this count as pre draft though?  season is not even over yet

he hasnt taken a drug test for the league either

Tunsil was never punished by the nfl for smoking in college.  still went in the first round and is a good player now

The police receive a call at midnight that 'some students are smoking pot in an apartment building'

Police say they smell it when they get there so they have probable cause to enter.

Students decline consent for a drug test

Police call a judge (at midnight) who issues a warrant over the phone.

I wonder how often this sequence of events happens

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nope.  I said its "not surprising".  That's not having a bead on anybody.

Many people don't like to excercise free will by forming opinions based upon little info.  They may think There is simply not enough out there for them to be comfortable about forming an opinion, so they project that as a fact.  Its a personality trait that I don't find to be surprising in data-centric thinking.  

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

I had my suspicions.  Certain things just didn't add up based upon the way I see things.  I'd have to undo decades of the cover-up type of education you've likely received before you'd see what I see, and that type of re-education isn't appropriate for a football forum.

This is the biggest pile of nonsense I've seen in awhile.   Please elaborate on what didn't add up.   Please tell all you know about this kid that you've never met.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   a college kid smoking weed.    Oh the humanity.    

College kids can smoke weed if they'd prefer to.

Honest question: Do you have a problem with the decision to smoke weed, a banned substance in the NFL, by someone who just declared for the NFL? Do you question their judgement, or write it off as a college mistake?

Personally, he smoked weed, who cares. But I do question the judgement.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

College kids can smoke weed if they'd prefer to.

Honest question: Do you have a problem with the decision to smoke weed, a banned substance in the NFL, by someone who just declared for the NFL? Do you question their judgement, or write it off as a college mistake?

Personally, he smoked weed, who cares. But I do question the judgement.

I don't think weed should be tested for,   but that's just me.    I would rather have a kid that blazes once in awhile over kids that do far more egregious things and still get drafted.   

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This is the biggest pile of nonsense I've seen in awhile.   Please elaborate on what didn't add up.   Please tell all you know about this kid that you've never met.   

All banter aside, I'll provide a partial answer to @EastStreet and @NewColtsFan 's question as to why I found it "not surprising"

Believe this or not:  Before seeing this thread, I was actually thinking that based upon what I saw and heard about Love, that I thought he might be a weed risk.  And I was going to post that short comment in one of the Love threads.  Then, when I called up the site and went to this section, this thread about him actually being arrested for weed was already started.  Based upon what I was thinking prior to even hearing about this, I then found hearing about it to not being surprising.

And before even reading about it, the reasons I thought he might be a weed risk would be thought of as nonsense by certain people on this forum, so I'm not going to elaborate.  I was just planning on expressing my concern in one of the thread's and leave it at that.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

All banter aside, I'll provide a partial answer to @EastStreet and @NewColtsFan 's question as to why I found it "not surprising"

Believe this or not:  Before seeing this thread, I was actually thinking that based upon what I saw and heard about Love, that I thought he might be a weed risk.  And I was going to post that short comment in one of the Love threads.  Then, when I called up the site and went to this section, this thread about him actually being arrested for weed was already started.  Based upon what I was thinking prior to even hearing about this, I then found hearing about it to not being surprising.

And before even reading about it, the reasons I thought he might be a weed risk would be thought of as nonsense by certain people on this forum, so I'm not going to elaborate.  I was just planning on expressing my concern in one of the thread's and leave it at that.

First off.  He wasn't arrested. 

Second,  all college kids are a "weed risk".   

You won't elaborate,   because you can't

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

I don't know his level or timing of usage....and neither do you.... and yet you're commenting as if there is no concern whatsoever.

I DO know this.... I want our assessment of the Colts QB position to be free of this type of question mark.... let it be assessed over talent alone.

Once character or judgement issues come into play we have a plate of unnecessary crap to worry about. I'm not willing to risk that and if the report is true.... I hope Ballard isn't either.

Manning had plenty of "things" at UT... Most unreported, but it's no secret...  He did just fine. I'm not saying it's totally without concern, but assuming it's worse case and pearl clutching is silly.