Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts plan for Chad Kelly.


Recommended Posts

I believe by this point, the Colts know JB isnt the long term answer. Just look at the sideline photo of JB missing a completely wide open Pascal, and you will begin to see what that same sideline sees. 

 

Ballard is going to Draft a QB if at all possible in the next draft. I could see him trading up for a guy if that's what it takes. That QB is going to backup JB next year. 

 

That leaves you with Brian Hoyer who no one has confidence in and is basically an experienced warm body that can be thrown to the wolves (I see him being cut through training camp at some point)

 

And then theres Chad Kelly. The guy everyone seems to want to see. The plan for him? Hes going to sit behind the draft pick, be a good team mate, and keep quiet. 

 

In 2021, JB is going to walk, in his absence, we will see what our young franchise QB can do and hes going to get backed up by Chad Kelly. This is one of the reasons Chad has remained on the active roster. Because he may just be good enough to be a good/great back up down the road, and we are going to need that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bhougland said:

There are plenty of backup options.  Why would you get a person that could be a distraction?  You don't do that for a backup, you do that only if the talent is immense.


I don’t know what to make of C. Kelly the QB. However, thus far he’s been on his best behavior. He’s done far less than numerous NFL players who were afforded another chance after making mistakes. 
 

I grow tired of the “Ballard and character talk” from some. He drafted Cain, who was disciplined for a weed related offense. 
 

Until C. Kelly actually gets playing time or screws up again, we just don’t know what the Colts have in Swag. I’d like to see him gets some reps, but by no means think he a franchise QB. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MPStack said:


I don’t know what to make of C. Kelly the QB. However, thus far he’s been on his best behavior. He’s done far less than numerous NFL players who were afforded another chance after making mistakes. 
 

I grow tired of the “Ballard and character talk” from some. He drafted Cain, who was disciplined for a weed related offense. 
 

Until C. Kelly actually gets playing time or screws up again, we just don’t know what the Colts have in Swag. I’d like to see him gets some reps, but by no means think he a franchise QB. 

I wonder if Ballard saw a weed related offense as irrelevant when judging Cain's character... Like most of us would. It's weed. 

Stealing.. Assault... Drunk driving... Those are character issues. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They are going to keep throwing JB out there. Reich and Ballard seem to be pretty level headed people. They don’t care what others think and Irsay has been known to let his guys do what they feel is best.

 

 

At this point I want to see Kelly play but I also want the Colts to have a better draft pick. So by all means Colts. keep playing JB.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I believe by this point, the Colts know JB isnt the long term answer. Just look at the sideline photo of JB missing a completely wide open Pascal, and you will begin to see what that same sideline sees. 

 

Ballard is going to Draft a QB if at all possible in the next draft. I could see him trading up for a guy if that's what it takes. That QB is going to backup JB next year. 

 

That leaves you with Brian Hoyer who no one has confidence in and is basically an experienced warm body that can be thrown to the wolves (I see him being cut through training camp at some point)

 

And then theres Chad Kelly. The guy everyone seems to want to see. The plan for him? Hes going to sit behind the draft pick, be a good team mate, and keep quiet. 

 

In 2021, JB is going to walk, in his absence, we will see what our young franchise QB can do and hes going to get backed up by Chad Kelly. This is one of the reasons Chad has remained on the active roster. Because he may just be good enough to be a good/great back up down the road, and we are going to need that. 

He could be more than that but nobody will ever know for sure unless we give him a shot now!!.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Gonna end up losing his job if they keep saying this crap through next year. It's not about weapons because he can't hit the open man now, so what good is another WR? I agree they should take one, but it isn't gonna suddenly vault JB into prominence.

What good does it do for him to go out and throw him under the bus. He is the coach. That would not be professional. They know what they have and aren’t going to say what they are thinking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

What good does it do for him to go out and throw him under the bus. He is the coach. That would not be professional. They know what they have and aren’t going to say what they are thinking.

 

Oh I get it, that's why I said "through next year". Being politically correct, and not hurting guys feelings is great til you get fired for it. At the end of the day this is a business, and Jacoby is very obviously not getting it done, there's only so many times you can get up on the podium and coach-speak. I for one am tired of it, call it for what it is, there needs to be some accountability somewhere. 

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the complete summary of what Reich said. I agree with what he is saying. Right now you don’t know what your options are in the draft or FA. So keep working on trying improve  what you have right now. We just have to let the draft and FA play out. Reich did mentions accountability.  He said Jacoby was in his office for a long time today.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m fine with JB playing the rest of the way. The only thing that’ll kind of annoy me is if they come out after the season and say he hasn’t been 100%, which at this point I’m expecting. I just don’t see how playing on a hurt knee, if he is, is going to help him improve/get better.

 

And that’s not to excuse his poor play by any means.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the complete summary of what Reich said. I agree with what he is saying. Right now you don’t know what your options are in the draft or FA. So keep working on trying improve  what you have right now. We just have to let the draft and FA play out. Reich did mentions accountability.  He said Jacoby was in his office for a long time today.

 

 

Love the typo of out instead of our cause it needs to happen lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone needs to remember they watch Kelly in practice everyday. If they though he was that good they would be making a change.

 

Right now you try and work and improve what you have. No one knows if a QB will even be available in the draft. There might be a FA QB once the spring hits. So when you don’t know what your options are going to be you try and improve what you have. If we do draft a QB and they need to sit we need Jacoby to be the guy for one more year. This will play out everyone just needs to be patient. This isn’t going to be easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m fine with JB playing the rest of the way. The only thing that’ll kind of annoy me is if they come out after the season and say he hasn’t been 100%, which at this point I’m expecting. I just don’t see how playing on a hurt knee, if he is, is going to help him improve/get better.

 

And that’s not to excuse his poor play by any means.

I can see how that knee could of effected his mechanics and accuracy. If it has then he should be working on that everyday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

   I was at the game and Jacoby’s inaccuracy stood out (to be fair, anybody’s would compared to Brees).

   There were a few throws that Brees threw where he used his eyes to fake out safeties and throw back to a wide-open receiver.

    I just don’t see that kind of thing often from JB. Maybe it’s instinctual, maybe it can be learned, but as of now, JB doesn’t do it enough. He stares down his primary receiver and that’s where the ball is going.

    He also seems to get affected by pressure situations. 
    Maybe Reich and Ballard truly believe he can develop and become a franchise QB. Maybe they’re right. I guess we’ll see.

    As far as Chad Kelly: I can’t help but think; what if Kelly has his uncle’s ability? Is that a consideration? Is there any validity to the “bloodline argument”?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

 

    As far as Chad Kelly: I can’t help but think; what if Kelly has his uncle’s ability? Is that a consideration? Is there any validity to the “bloodline argument”?

of course he has his uncle's ability, he would not be in the NFL if he didn't.  What makes the "bloodline argument" invalid is, there is no way he can have his uncle's head.  He may be better or he may be worse, but 80% of QBing in the NFL is mental.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

   I was at the game and Jacoby’s inaccuracy stood out (to be fair, anybody’s would compared to Brees).

   There were a few throws that Brees threw where he used his eyes to fake out safeties and throw back to a wide-open receiver.

    I just don’t see that kind of thing often from JB. Maybe it’s instinctual, maybe it can be learned, but as of now, JB doesn’t do it enough. He stares down his primary receiver and that’s where the ball is going.

    He also seems to get affected by pressure situations. 
    Maybe Reich and Ballard truly believe he can develop and become a franchise QB. Maybe they’re right. I guess we’ll see.

    As far as Chad Kelly: I can’t help but think; what if Kelly has his uncle’s ability? Is that a consideration? Is there any validity to the “bloodline argument”?

"Maybe Reich and Ballard truly believe he can develop and become a franchise QB. Maybe they’re right. I guess we’ll see."

 

 Like the princess that kissed that frog who turned into a prince ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ratking said:

I wonder if Ballard saw a weed related offense as irrelevant when judging Cain's character... Like most of us would. It's weed. 

Stealing.. Assault... Drunk driving... Those are character issues. 

I guess that's why Ballard likes Jordan Love...he just got busted for weed possession.

Maybe Ballard is a toker himself.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

I guess that's why Ballard likes Jordan Love...he just got busted for weed possession.

Maybe Ballard is a toker himself.

 

At least weed can be argued to have medicinal purposes. I could care less about it when half the US is legal in some form who really gives a %? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a life long Colt fan. Back to Johnny U days. Suffered through many bad or over hyped QB. I totally bought in on JB this year when Andrew left. JB never impressed me as a number one QB. He’s a good backup. At this point. I think as Colts fans we deserve to see what Chad Kelly has got these next two games. If he has that Andrew swagger let’s roll with him and let him and JB compete next year for QB1. JB has been a loyal soldier and should have taken control but he never did. Let’s see what Chad has, if not trade up and get Tua on the cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

This is just dumb.  I am on record for saying I don’t think Kelly is the guy but you should at least see what exactly you have in him.  If the Colts don’t know what they have in Jacoby by now the next two games against teams that are also out of it aren’t going to tell them much.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is just like I have said all along,  the Colts will never give Kelly a real shot. They can only keep him for one more year, then after that he will be a free agent.  The moment he is,  he will walk right out the door and go somewhere he will have a legitimate chance to win a starting job.  The Colts will never even let him even take snaps with the 1s. Not in practice and not in the preseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is just dumb.  I am on record for saying I don’t think Kelly is the guy but you should at least see what exactly you have in him.  If the Colts don’t know what they have in Jacoby by now the next two games against teams that are also out of it aren’t going to tell them much.  

I agree.   Seeing a player in real game time action is valuable.  If he doesn't play the final 2 games, they are missing an opportunity.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is just dumb.  I am on record for saying I don’t think Kelly is the guy but you should at least see what exactly you have in him.  If the Colts don’t know what they have in Jacoby by now the next two games against teams that are also out of it aren’t going to tell them much.  

 

Rest assured, the Colts already believe they know what they have in C. Kelly.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Knowing my luck, JB will go out and throw for 400 and 4 the last 2 games and cement his spot, Ballard/Reich won't draft a guy and we will go 8-8 next year. Rinse/repeat. 

same dude lol he will give them some false hope lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It started in Tampa.  It's obvious to me, before making whatever moves they make in the offseason, they're letting Brissett sling it to see if he can play like an actual NFL QB.  The results have not been good, but they're going to give it two more games.  

 

Unfortunately, it seems the only way you can win with Brissett is by running it, protecting him and making sure Brissett doesn't turn the ball over.  Even then you better hope Brissett doesn't have to take you on a 4th quarter drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the complete summary of what Reich said. I agree with what he is saying. Right now you don’t know what your options are in the draft or FA. So keep working on trying improve  what you have right now. We just have to let the draft and FA play out. Reich did mentions accountability.  He said Jacoby was in his office for a long time today.

 

 

 

tenor.gif?itemid=4537095

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • At this time of year, every year, all of us have created a draft board.  How we think the draft will fall out.  Most of us also have a selection of players from that draft board that are the ones they especially like.  These are My Guys. I would like to issue a challenge.  Go back through your records for every year, and find:  A - your best draft prospect, B - your worst draft prospect, C - any of your prospects the Colts took, D - a late round prospect of yours that blossomed.   I'll start out with mine:   2015 Best - Andrus Peat, T, Stanford (Saints #13 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn (undrafted, went nowhere) Colts - Zack Hodges, OLB, Harvard (UFA, didn't stick) Late - Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana (Falcons #73) 2016 Best - Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio St (Cowboys #4 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Su'a Cravens, S, USC Colts - Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama (Colts #18 overall) Late - Joe Schoebert, LB, Wisconsin (Browns #99, pro bowl) 2017 Best - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (Texans #12, 3 pro bowls) Worst - tie John Ross, WR, Ohio St / Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama Colts - none Late - Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (Chargers #71 overall) 2018 Best - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (#6 overall, 3 pro bowls) Worst - Arden Key, DE, LSU Colts - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame Late - Kyzir White, S/LB, West Virginia 2019 Best - AJ Brown, WR, Mississippi Worst - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Colts - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple / Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St Late - Terry McLauren, WR, Ohio St 2020 Best - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma Worst - Denzell Mims, WR, Baylor / Calvin Throckmorton, T, Oregon Colts - none Late - too soon to call
    • I think the Rams over paid but it’s still a win win for both sides. If the Rams get back to the SB it will be worth it, even a couple NFC championship games would justify the trade...if they win a championship it will definitely be worth it.  Detroit now has the ammo to help build a playoff contender. They won’t bc it’s Detroit lol but it was still a good trade by them. One of the few QB trades you see where both teams will probably come out ahead.    When I compare it to the Wentz trade, Ballard took the Eagles to the cleaners and got the better of the two QBs they had. Interested to see what Sirriani can do with Hurts.  That kid seems to be a class act. The way he handled being replaced by Tua was professional in every way.  I remember the reporter asking him 3min after the championship game vs Georgia ended how he felt being replaced and seeing Tua go out there and bring the team back.  I thought it was slimy to ask that question at that moment(should have waited until the press conference and let the kid celebrate with his team) and Hurts handled it with class. Stayed for another year, came in and I believe won the SEC championship for Bama then transferred after he graduated. I’m rooting for the guy and feel for him bc the Philly press and fans can be a bit harsh to say the least lol. 
    • At this point I wouldn't mind that. Seems like a good realistic scenario. Although... maybe Turner has moved up with his testing? 
    • Larnel Coleman OT UMASS   http://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1024887&DraftYear=2021   Josh Ball OT Marshall   https://www.profootballnetwork.com/josh-ball-nfl-draft-player-profile-marshall-offensive-tackle/  
  • Members

    • Nadine

      Nadine 6,618

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 432

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shadow_Creek

      Shadow_Creek 703

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SOMDColtsfan

      SOMDColtsfan 106

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 67

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 308

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Bleeds Blue

      Bleeds Blue 0

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mackrel829

      Mackrel829 164

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dunk

      Dunk 48

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • John Hammonds

      John Hammonds 1,448

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...