Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
1959Colts

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)  

184 members have voted

  1. 1. Is week 16 the time for Chad Kelly to start?

    • Yes. The season is over, lets see what Chad (Swag) Kelly can do.
      163
    • No. The 2019 Colts team is Brissett's to the bitter end
      21


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MPStack said:


The brass is well aware of them by now. Worst case is the Colts roll with JB one more year.   

That’s going to happen drafting a QB or not unfortunately. I just don’t see the benefit of letting someone * themselves over and over again just to “save face” because they paid out a decently hefty salary to see him perform and execute the offense at a competent level. (speculation of course). You can see his confidence wavering....get him out of there 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

No, coaches aren't afraid of winning.  Sometimes they do operate like they have blinders on, though.

 

 

Once on a roster, a player must be cut/released. If a vet, he's a free agent.  Otherwise, the player hits the waiver wire and can be picked by anybody, lowest on totem pole served first.

 

 

True, but the team that has him can promote him to their 53 man roster averting the issue.

 

 

Or more opposing fans jerseys...

Thankfully, this weeks game is not vs the Steelers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Thankfully, this weeks game is not vs the Steelers. 

That be fun huh? Last game at home littered in yellow and gold. :headspin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MPStack said:

They absolutely quit last night. Did anyone notice T.Y.’s reaction with the short terrible pass from Brissett that T.Y. couldn’t handle. He looked disgusted. 

I did and it said a lot.  Maybe the players have seen and had enough

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, coltsva said:

In that case, they’ll start noticing it this Sunday.

You can bet they'll damn sure notice it in season ticket sales (or should I say lack of season ticket sales?) for next season.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ballard doesn't control who starts and who doesn't.  That's a coach's job. and forcing a coach to play someone is exactly what got Ryan Grigson in trouble and a sign of a bad GM. Ballard's job is to fill the roster, the coach's job is to evaluate and play whoever. That said, I'm sure it'll be discussed but Ballard wont over rule and shouldnt over rule Reich

This is what the GM is for each offseason, evaluation of the tools used that was given to the head coach. How did the players respond? Did you play the right guys? How was your decision making in situations? How have you managed all the players? And what were your outcomes with your management of the team? If CB feels he gave the correct tools to FR, he has to be graded pretty poorly this season. You would think somewhere along the way, CB has encouraged FR to take a look at Kelly maybe since the experiment with JB has gone off the cliff. Same evaluation goes for the Vinny choice. Who made the decisions to keep him out there game after poorly kicked game? Irsay also gets to perform year end evaluations on the performances of his guys. I think I’d be concerned opening my review package if I were any of these guys on the staff and everyone is brutally honest in the evaluation process. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

We and the Colts, will never know if they don't give him a chance now.  Practice doesn't tell everything if that is what the Colts are hanging their hat on.... JB likely looks like a world beater in practice; but it isn't translating to the game..

 

I believe this is a phenomenon. Could it apply here?

 

After seeing how flawless Brees made his completions against our defense, it’s quite possible that JB looks better against our defense than anyone else’s. I’m quite amazed that the defense is that bad, regardless of which HOF QB is throwing it, an nfl defense isn’t supposed to look that horrific. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, P'Son said:

You can bet they'll damn sure notice it in season ticket sales (or should I say lack of season ticket sales?) for next season.

 

I have one year left on my club season ticket contract.  I wish I could get out of it.  The team is not very good and it's become a traffic nightmare around the stadium.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Optics are a pretty big deal in a billion dollar enterprise.

 

i’m cool with whatever shakes out.  It is curious to me that Kelly didnt see time when JB was out if he is in fact ready , in the teams eyes at least, because we all saw the Hoyer experiment.

From the start, i havent seen this as a JB vs Kelly thing.  I just want  our best chance on the field at QB.  This year, that was JB.  Common sense,   the team, Indy radio personalities, and ex-pros now in media all expressed this.  I’ll go with that over some disheartened fans being emotional.

  Going forward and out of the playoffs, sure why not.  Throw Kelly to the wolves.  I liked what i saw in preseason too.  But i also remember many pre-season HOFers that didnt make the team.  Some reached legendary status and are still talked about.  My gut tells me Kelly will eventually join this list tho I hope he becomes special. 

Optics are always important, but they shouldn't prohibit a team from making a change when it's needed IMO.

 

Kelly didn't see time because it was a pretty quick incident and JB was a game time decision. Hoyer didn't look awful vs Pitt either. Didn't look great, but wasn't a train wreck till Miami. Heck, even Hoyer didn't get first team reps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's a pure guess, you literally have no idea, no matter how much you hate Kelly. Brissett isn't the future and Kelly deserves a shot at the very least. Get over your grudge with him.

I don't hate Kelly at all. Just because I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL does not mean  I hate him. 

You are guessing and you have no idea either so quit pointing fingers and assuming you know anything about me. 

I trust Ballard and the coaching staff far more than I trust fans who think they know more than the GM and the coaching staff. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I don't hate Kelly at all. Just because I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL does not mean  I hate him. 

You are guessing and you have no idea either so quit pointing fingers and assuming you know anything about me. 

I trust Ballard and the coaching staff far more than I trust fans who think they know more than the GM and the coaching staff. 

You have no idea either way, as do I. The difference is you don't think he can start based on nothing and the facts show Brissett is clearly struggling, Hoyer is who he is, and we are eliminated from the playoffs. I, along with other people, just want to give him a chance in two meaningless games. Ballard and Reich also have no idea because he hasn't played for us in a real game. No point in wasting a QB that could be good. 

 

If you don't hate Kelly, then you merely don't want him to start so you can agree with Reich and Ballard, and that's even more petty and pathetic. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't hate Kelly at all. Just because I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL does not mean  I hate him. 

You are guessing and you have no idea either so quit pointing fingers and assuming you know anything about me. 

I trust Ballard and the coaching staff far more than I trust fans who think they know more than the GM and the coaching staff. 

You have to continue the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You have no idea either way, as do I. The difference is you don't think he can start based on nothing and the facts show Brissett is clearly struggling, Hoyer is who he is, and we are eliminated from the playoffs. I, along with other people, just want to give him a chance in two meaningless games. Ballard and Reich also have no idea because he hasn't played for us in a real game. No point in wasting a QB that could be good. 

 

If you don't hate Kelly, then you merely don't want him to start so you can agree with Reich and Ballard, and that's even more petty and pathetic. 

You may insult me all you care to because I don't care one way or another. 

The fans (including you and me) do not run this team. 

The GM, head coach and the coordinators make the choices and the fans all whine and cry when we don't get wins. 

Losing brings out the worst in all fans and when you start insulting each other it's time to find something else more important than football to worry about. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You have no idea either way, as do I. The difference is you don't think he can start based on nothing and the facts show Brissett is clearly struggling, Hoyer is who he is, and we are eliminated from the playoffs. I, along with other people, just want to give him a chance in two meaningless games. Ballard and Reich also have no idea because he hasn't played for us in a real game. No point in wasting a QB that could be good...

 

 

Right. I agree.

The only way to find out what Kelly can do, is to let him play in a game.

If the theory is... that Reich and Ballard don't believe Kelly has what it takes... then why keep him on the roster at all?

In that case, the staff is foolish for investing in a QB they have no confidence in.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You have no idea either way, as do I. The difference is you don't think he can start based on nothing and the facts show Brissett is clearly struggling, Hoyer is who he is, and we are eliminated from the playoffs. I, along with other people, just want to give him a chance in two meaningless games. Ballard and Reich also have no idea because he hasn't played for us in a real game. No point in wasting a QB that could be good. 

 

If you don't hate Kelly, then you merely don't want him to start so you can agree with Reich and Ballard, and that's even more petty and pathetic. 

Get him Jared. If Ballard told him to jump into the septic system, he would and ask for an autograph. Kelly should be given a chance, what do you have to loose? Last time he played, he did good but everyone said he was playing against scubs. I think these people love brissett and don't want to admit that he sucks and could not start in any league.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may insult me all you care to because I don't care one way or another. 

The fans (including you and me) do not run this team. 

The GM, head coach and the coordinators make the choices and the fans all whine and cry when we don't get wins. 

Losing brings out the worst in all fans and when you start insulting each other it's time to find something else more important than football to worry about. 

I agree. I've already made the decision not to watch another Colts game on TV while Brissett is our QB. Not going to have anymore time wasted until a change is made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. I've already made the decision not to watch another Colts game on TV while Brissett is our QB. Not going to have anymore time wasted until a change is made.

I have never understood this. I love my Colts but I came realize all long time ago that win or lose it doesn’t directly effect me. Watching my team is something I look forward to all offseason and I will watch every drop of them because the offseason sucks and is long. 
 

life is to short, so if they are legitimately causing you to be upset, then take a break and watch hallmark. Lol. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I have never understood this. I love my Colts but I came realize all long time ago that win or lose it doesn’t directly effect me. Watching my team is something I look forward to all offseason and I will watch every drop of them because the offseason sucks and is long. 
 

life is to short, so if they are legitimately causing you to be upset, then take a break and watch hallmark. Lol. 

It's all about effort for me. I don't blame Ballard, Reich, or anybody else besides Grigson for Luck retiring. I knew we'd use Brissett this year to see if we have anything in him before drafting a new QB. We've learned Brissett is a backup level QB, and now it's up to Ballard and Reich to understand this. Admit he's not good enough, start Kelly the last two games, and draft an eventual replacement in the first two rounds in next years draft.

 

That's how you show effort, admit your mistake, do something about it, and make your team better for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's all about effort for me. I don't blame Ballard, Reich, or anybody else besides Grigson for Luck retiring. I knew we'd use Brissett this year to see if we have anything in him before drafting a new QB. We've learned Brissett is a backup level QB, and now it's up to Ballard and Reich to understand this. Admit he's not good enough, start Kelly the last two games, and draft an eventual replacement in the first two rounds in next years draft.

 

That's how you show effort, admit your mistake, do something about it, and make your team better for the future.

What you are not seeing is what the coaches and the coordinators see every day in practices. 

It's easy for you to say what you would do but you don't have the information they have. 

The fans perspective does not account for what the coaches see and react to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Optics are always important, but they shouldn't prohibit a team from making a change when it's needed IMO.

 

Kelly didn't see time because it was a pretty quick incident and JB was a game time decision. Hoyer didn't look awful vs Pitt either. Didn't look great, but wasn't a train wreck till Miami. Heck, even Hoyer didn't get first team reps. 

Tuff year all around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Its called business guys and girls, they just paid Jacoby to play not sit on the bench
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having hard time with this one. Originally I wanted Jacoby to get the chance to finish the season, but things are unraveling quite rapidly and I'm not sure this would actually be to his benefit. This team looks a bit like they've checked out. 

 

No idea if bringing in another QB to start would fix anything, but even though those games are meaningless in the picture of this Colts season, they might be a good tool to evaluate players. Chad Kelly is one of those players and I wouldn't mind seeing him in live action in regular season games against legit NFL players, rather than 3d-4th stringers in the preseason. Chad Kelly convincing us to not drag Hoyer on the roster for next year would be a welcome development. Evaluation of the other offensive weapons is another objective we should be pursuing. Marcus Johnson and Zach Pascal are two other players that might benefit from a QB with better accuracy because since JB returned from his injury he's been having real troubles with his ball placement. 

 

I think I'm leaning toward wanting Kelly to start the last 2 games, but quite honestly I don't have any strong feeling about it either way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crush22 said:

hungry late show GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Sounds like Reich's loyalties are becoming a liability. This gonna cause the FO to start unraveling if its not Riechs choice. If it is FR choice Im starting to question him as our head coach....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/frank-reich-jacoby-brissetts-our-qb-still-fighting-to-get-better/

 

 

Quote

 

Frank Reich: Jacoby Brissett’s our QB, still fighting to get better

 

...the Colts have no interest in taking a look at Chad Kelly in the final two weeks.

That was the response from head coach Frank Reich on Tuesday when he was asked if the team would consider giving Kelly playing time before the end of the regular season.

 

“Jacoby’s our quarterback,” Reich said, via Stephen Holder of TheAthletic.com. “We’re still fighting to get better for these next two games and, really, for next year. Jacoby is still a second-year starter.”

 

Brissett was 18-of-34 for 165 yards in Monday night’s 34-7 loss to the Saints and Reich said they “had a long talk” on Tuesday about the mistakes that Brissett made during the game. That work will continue for a couple more weeks and then the Colts will move on to forming plans for what they hope will be a more fruitful 2020 season.

 

 

Reading the above comment, it sounds like Reich is content, heading into next season, with Brissett at the helm.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

 


he’s your quarterback frank and if that is the case you won’t be our coach very long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Is week 16 the time to Start Chad Kelly?

image.png.9f903304ccff13d487cf688e96e7e331.png

Playing him for 1 week wouldn't be a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions. You'd want to start him for the remainder of the season, and we all know that's not going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Management (Ballard and Reich) seem unwilling to start Kelly even tho it is what the fans want to see. If they continue to ignore the fans then the fans just might start ignoring them (at the stadium). These two (Ballard & Reich) seem like arrogant, inflexible hardheads who won't take input from anyone but themselves. Good luck building a team with a 1/3 empty stadium and a turned-off fanbase.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Playing him for 1 week wouldn't be a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions. You'd want to start him for the remainder of the season, and we all know that's not going to happen.

well there are only two games remaining for the remainder of the season.

I was hoping he would get to play in both... week 16 - week 17  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea just lost all respect  for Frank Reich and the colts front office.  Even the panthers, titans, Steelers, and jags were smart enough  to make a change  just to see what they have and we want to trot the same guy out there again watching  him miss wide open wrs and hurrying  throws from phantom  pass rushers.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea just lost all respect  for Frank Reich and the colts front office.  Even the panthers, titans, Steelers, and jags were smart enough  to make a change  just to see what they have and we want to trot the same guy out there again watching  him miss wide open wrs and hurrying  throws from phantom  pass rushers.

I hear you.   Maybe it's the head coaching position we should be questioning...Reich seems pretty rigid and stubborn in his thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Reich is sticking with JB to the bitter end, until JB get's hurt, just like what he did with AV.  The team will regressed once again if they keep JB.

JB is hurt. And he should sit the remainder of the season to rest his knee, just like AV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Management (Ballard and Reich) seem unwilling to start Kelly even tho it is what the fans want to see. If they continue to ignore the fans then the fans just might start ignoring them (at the stadium). These two (Ballard & Reich) seem like arrogant, inflexible hardheads who won't take input from anyone but themselves. Good luck building a team with a 1/3 empty stadium and a turned-off fanbase.

You are so right. Two men who have spent all their adult life in football. Reich- who played high level NFL then won Super Bowl as OC. Ballard- who is an amazing GM and regarded highly in NFL.  They should definitely listen to fans and make their decisions based on what we want. SARCASM!?!?
 

Look at your screen, look at what your typing and then like Herm Edwards said, DONT PRESS SEND!! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Management (Ballard and Reich) seem unwilling to start Kelly even tho it is what the fans want to see. If they continue to ignore the fans then the fans just might start ignoring them (at the stadium). These two (Ballard & Reich) seem like arrogant, inflexible hardheads who won't take input from anyone but themselves. Good luck building a team with a 1/3 empty stadium and a turned-off fanbase.

 

We were still in contention (mathematically) for post season... until the Saints game ended.  You don't pull you're starter for CK until that milestone is passed.  Now, that it has, I'm in favor of letting CK earn some of his 1/2 million dollars he coillected and play som football at QB for the Colts...  against rookie Will Grier is a good start IMHO...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

“Jacoby’s our quarterback,” Reich said, via Stephen Holder of TheAthletic.com. “We’re still fighting to get better for these next two games

 

 

Mr. Reich, wth all due respect, he's had over 30 Starts now.  I know what he is.  Let Kelly play, or cut him off the 53 man roster and bring up a youngster from the practice squad that needs reps and can relieve some nicked up guys.

 

Quote

and, really, for next year.

 

That is what OTA's, and training camp is for, not playing your stagnate growth starter QB against teams eliminated and starting rookies at the end of the year, possibly to inflate an ego...

 

Quote

Jacoby is still a second-year starter.”

 

One that looked better as a first year starter earlier this season than he does now, sorry.

 

Coach him up better then. It's on you.  I was patient all along until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...