Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft position

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard would take Love that high if he's interested.

But we could use another guard too.

If that’s his guy, I have no doubt he would draft Love there, because you don’t wait until the 2nd for hoping he’s there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a feeling we are drafting Love in round 1.

Either Love or Herbert, which I’m totally fine with. The reality is you don’t wait until the 2nd Rd, if you’re the GM and need a QB. 

I think it also simplifies cutting one of either Brissett or Hoyer, before 1 June. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Either Love or Herbert, which I’m totally fine with. The reality is you don’t wait until the 2nd Rd, if you’re the GM and need a QB. 

I think it also simplifies cutting one of either Brissett or Hoyer, before 1 June. 

Actually, if we're at pick 10, we're within shooting range of trading up for Hebert.  I think I'd be more excited about that than getting Love.

Maybe could trade JB with draft picks to move up.

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think Hoyer is gone and we draft a QB in round 1, DT in round 2, WR in round 3. I am just guessing though. JB isn't going anywhere as I think he and the rook will battle it out for the starting spot in 2020.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Actually, if we're at pick 10, we're within shooting range of trading up for Hebert.  I think I'd be more excited about that than getting Love.

Can’t get much better than 6-6 238lbs with Herbert. 

However, I’d have no issues with Ballard taking Love at 10-12 selection. Wentz and J. Allen have played well coming from smaller schools and drafted extremely high. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Hoyer is gone and we draft a QB in round 1, DT in round 2, WR in round 3. I am just guessing though. JB isn't going anywhere as I think he and the rook will battle it out for the starting spot in 2020.

I think it makes more sense cutting Brissett. Save 9M for a FA signing and keep Hoyer. 

I’m pulling for us, with a pick this high, to get Derrick Brown and wait until next year for a QB. Unless we know for sure that Tua will not be our long in the NFL and still falls to the pick, I don’t want any QB that wouldn’t already be gone at this juncture. Love certainly isn’t worth that much, and Burrow and Herbert will likely be gone

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a feeling we are drafting Love in round 1.

If so, hopefully after a trade down to acquire more picks. Unless he just blows the combine out of the water, jumping up to the mid 1st round after seeing his stats this year would be a bit of a reach in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

If so, hopefully after a trade down to acquire more picks. Unless he just blows the combine out of the water, jumping up to the mid 1st round after seeing his stats this year would be a bit of a reach in my opinion. 

Did you see Josh Allen’s stats, prior to going 7th overall in 2018?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Did you see Josh Allen’s stats, prior to going 7th overall in 2018?

They were talking tonight on the broadcast he had no clue he was going to go that high.

I think we will have a better idea after FA and if we  get anyone. Thie big decision for ballard is do you take one of those defensive players and hope the QB you want falls. How do you pass on a DT and a DE end like that.  There are teams that will be drafting after us looking for a QB. Steelers and patriots are two teams who could take a QB before our WA pick comes up. Oakland has two 1sts I think. They could take a QB with one of those. It’s going to be a crapshoot if one ballard loves is there.

I don’t want TUA. With his injury history that could really set us back.

I would be surprised if we are drafting at 10, and we take Love

The guy has many talents and many flaws

The potential is clearly there, but there are some concerning attributes.

I see him going in the later part of round one. 

To me, there is only one blue chip QB prospect in this draft at QB

Thats Burrow. If Tua is medically cleared , he would be the second.

Our best bet is to get the 10th pick and trade out to 20's  (if we have a suitor), and pick up an additional 2nd (and more)

The group of Fromm, Hurts, Eason, and Love are 50/50 prospects IMHO, with Love being my favorite of this group.

The silver lining on this cloud is that JB is proving to be bad enough, that the bar is low for improvement.

I have to say there is a part of me that thinks that the front office WONT draft a QB, d and give JB another chance..........    I sense a blind spot for this front office, for players they love..... they love JB

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They were talking tonight on the broadcast he had no clue he was going to go that high.

I think we will have a better idea after FA and if we  get anyone. Thie big decision for ballard is do you take one of those defensive players and hope the QB you want falls. How do you pass on a DT and a DE end like that.  There are teams that will be drafting after us looking for a QB. Steelers and patriots are two teams who could take a QB before our WA pick comes up. Oakland has two 1sts I think. They could take a QB with one of those. It’s going to be a crapshoot if one ballard loves is there.

I don’t want TUA. With his injury history that could really set us back.

I think someone will trade up for a QB and I could see Oakland taking one as well.  If we stay put we could lose out. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it's easier to think in terms of positions rather than players.  We should draft a...

It gets a little more complex when you put players in front of you and ask you to choose which you would rather have.

For example:  Let's say we're drafting at 12, and at our pick we have:

QB Tua Tagovailoa

WR CeeDee Lamb

DT Javon Kinlaw

T Tristan Wirfs

WR Tee Higgins

QB Jordan Love

Which would you pick?  Who fills the biggest need?  Which one is the most impactful player?

It's a little different, I think, when it's players, and not just positions.

(Personally, given this choice, I would pick CeeDee Lamb)

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I think it's easier to think in terms of positions rather than players.  We should draft a...

It gets a little more complex when you put players in front of you and ask you to choose which you would rather have.

QB Tua Tagovailoa

WR CeeDee Lamb

DT Javon Kinlaw

T Tristan Wirfs

WR Tee Higgins

QB Jordan Love

Which would you pick?  Who fills the biggest need?  Which one is the most impactful player?

With your scenario   Tua.... all day everyday, twice on Tuesday

But.... overall your point is valid..... You HAVE to follow your board

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

QB Tua Tagovailoa

WR CeeDee Lamb

DT Javon Kinlaw

T Tristan Wirfs

WR Tee Higgins

QB Jordan Love

In this scenario, I'd take Kinlaw. He is a very good player at a position of need and I seriously think he would have a big impact on our Defense. I love Lamb and Love too, but I believe that we could always get other receivers later in the draft (I'm becoming a fan of Brandon Aiyuk) and for Love, if Tua is still on the board in this case, I feel like we could trade back into the 1st round to grab Love without giving up too much for him.

12 hours ago, MPStack said:

If that’s his guy, I have no doubt he would draft Love there, because you don’t wait until the 2nd for hoping he’s there. 

Doesnt 10 or 11 seem too high for Love to you? 

I could see it if he was a pristine, blue chip...... I  like him and would but I dont view him as that... he is a potential starting QB with some attributes that JB doesnt have.

If we are sitting at 11, and lets say Tua slid to 6, I am trying to package picks to move to get him... If healthy, he would seem to be a much safer pick

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Honestly, I don’t know, but C. Wentz and J. Allen having gone top 10, shows GMs and scouts really do a good Job evaluating these guys and aren’t afraid to take a calculated risk.

Armchair GMs evaluation of J. Love and others are based off mocks and stats. 

I won’t be surprised if J. Love did well at the combine and was drafted top 10, but slightly premature.

He did not declare to get drafted in outside of the 1st or 2nd Rd. 

If Ballard truly likes Love, I think he either trades up or stays put to get him. Never heard of a team needing a QB, trade back for one, so like I said, nothing would surprise me.

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I could see it if he was a pristine, blue chip...... I  like him and would but I dont view him as that... he is a potential starting QB with some attributes that JB doesnt have.

If we are sitting at 11, and lets say Tua slid to 6, I am trying to package picks to move to get him... If healthy, he would seem to be a much safer pick

I don’t like Tua as much as Love or Herbert. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

not when we need a QB.  they could be gone if we trade back

its not ideal, reaching for a QB that isnt quite pro ready but it happens almost every year.  just have to hope we get lucky again 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s two players I want in the 1st round. Jordan Love or Javon Kinlaw.

I understand the sentiment of those who want Jordan Love.... he show’s flashes of gunslinger brilliance that could add an exciting dimension to the offense.

But I still prefer we draft that dominator on the interior of the Dline that we always seem to miss out on.

Much like the days prior to Quenton Nelson, where our Oline was taken lightly and seemingly unable to impose its will.... I’m hoping that a guy like Kinlaw can do the same for the Dline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

QB Tua Tagovailoa

WR CeeDee Lamb

DT Javon Kinlaw

T Tristan Wirfs

WR Tee Higgins

QB Jordan Love

I would probably go with Lamb as well. But if I had certainties that Tua is over his injury and is 100% and won't have lingering issues with injuries in the future I might go with Tua. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I understand the sentiment of those who want Jordan Love.... he show’s flashes of gunslinger brilliance that could add an exciting dimension to the offense.

But I still prefer we draft that dominator on the interior of the Dline that we always seem to miss out on.

Much like the days prior to Quenton Nelson, where our Oline was taken lightly and seemingly unable to impose its will.... I’m hoping that a guy like Kinlaw can do the same for the Dline.

D-lineman don’t win you games though. QBs do. You always get your QB first. That’s why the Heismen and MVPs are almost always QBs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

D-lineman don’t win you games though. QBs do. You always get your QB first. That’s why the Heismen and MVPs are almost always QBs. 

And the Heismen and MVPs are pretty meaningless because of it.

Yes, it's hindsight, but I'll take Nelson over Darnold any day.

And as fun as they were, at times, I'd rather not experience the Luck era over, and over, and over, again. I'd include the Manning era, but feel there were a few seasons where the team was good enough in most all areas, to win it all even when Manning had a bad day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MPStack said:

I think CB will draft Love and he may possibly sit behind Brissett for the year or until things start looking poor and Frank makes the change. Just my opinion. I just dont see CB taking a chance of him not being there if he likes him as much as he shows