Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
zibby43

SI: Why Brissett is still the Colts' future (Bonus: Trivia)

Recommended Posts

Disclaimer: I still don't know if Brissett is the future at QB.  But the more film I watch, the more Jordan Love looks like DeShone Kizer rather than Patrick Mahomes.  With where the Colts will be picking, there are no "sure thing" QBs.

 

Regardless of what the Colts do this off-season, Brissett is likely to be the starting QB next year.  It will be intriguing to see if the Colts can surround him with better skill talent and whether a full off-season to prepare like a starter helps him improve. 

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/08/nfl-week-14-preview-analysis

 

Excerpt:

 

Before the receiving corps deteriorated due to injury, the Colts were sitting at 5-2 and Brissett was on pace for 3,600 yards, 32 TD passes and a 99.3 passer rating. Now left with Zach Pascal and the Funky Bunch, Brissett would surely kill for the kind of talent Tom Brady has with the slumping Patriots at the moment.

 

Then there was the injury to Brissett himself, which has shaded this season. Had he not sprained his MCL in Pittsburgh and finished the de-pantsing of the Steelers rather than turning it over to Brian Hoyer to, well, turn it over for the remainder of that game as well as the next one (an upset loss to Miami), Indy would be sitting at 8-4 right now. If their kicking game hadn’t devolved at a stunning rate (if you project points-per-kick based on league-average rates from inside-50-yard attempts, 50-plus attempts and PATs, Adam Vinatieri is a league-worst -11.9 on the year while opposing kickers against the Colts are +7.4, fourth-best in the league), you could probably push that record to at least 9-3 (there were particularly egregious, arguably game-costing misses in losses to the Chargers in Week 1, and last week to Tennessee).

 

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere.

 

TRIVIA TIME

 

PLAYER A: 6.58 yards/attempt, 19 TD, 7 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl slot receiver with three 1,000-yard seasons, veteran WR acquired for second-round pick, 2015 first-round pick, 2019 first-round pick who’s missed nine games, 28-year-old former All-Pro WR released after six games, veteran TE who’s missed six games

 

PLAYER B: 6.91 yards/attempt, 18 TD, 6 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl WR who has missed six games, 2019 second-round WR who has missed six games, No. 1 TE who has missed two games, formerly undrafted TE whose never had a 700-yard season, three undrafted WRs (in second, third and fourth NFL seasons)

 

Can you match the player with his 2019 stats?

 

(Hint: Both of them have appeared in this post, and both aren't having great seasons)

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a good chance that Reich agrees with this. Ballard? I’m not sure if he’s doing due diligence watching Love or if he has him pegged as the next Mahomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Player A:  Patrick Mahomes

Player B: Jacoby Brissett

 

edit:  i didnt realize tom brady was mentioned.  so i think player a is tom brady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I’ve been trying to say. I think we as  fans are off base in reference to what the Colts Organization actually think. I believe that they are still very much high on Brissett and view him as a possible franchise QB. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

brady is declining, he used to put up 4000+ yards every year.  one year he hit 5k

Yeah, let's hope he doesn't peak in playoffs like he used to do in recent years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Disclaimer: I still don't know if Brissett is the future at QB.  But the more film I watch, the more Jordan Love looks like DeShone Kizer rather than Patrick Mahomes.  With where the Colts will be picking, there are no "sure thing" QBs.

 

Regardless of what the Colts do this off-season, Brissett is likely to be the starting QB next year.  It will be intriguing to see if the Colts can surround him with better skill talent and whether a full off-season to prepare like a starter helps him improve. 

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/08/nfl-week-14-preview-analysis

 

Excerpt:

 

Before the receiving corps deteriorated due to injury, the Colts were sitting at 5-2 and Brissett was on pace for 3,600 yards, 32 TD passes and a 99.3 passer rating. Now left with Zach Pascal and the Funky Bunch, Brissett would surely kill for the kind of talent Tom Brady has with the slumping Patriots at the moment.

 

Then there was the injury to Brissett himself, which has shaded this season. Had he not sprained his MCL in Pittsburgh and finished the de-pantsing of the Steelers rather than turning it over to Brian Hoyer to, well, turn it over for the remainder of that game as well as the next one (an upset loss to Miami), Indy would be sitting at 8-4 right now. If their kicking game hadn’t devolved at a stunning rate (if you project points-per-kick based on league-average rates from inside-50-yard attempts, 50-plus attempts and PATs, Adam Vinatieri is a league-worst -11.9 on the year while opposing kickers against the Colts are +7.4, fourth-best in the league), you could probably push that record to at least 9-3 (there were particularly egregious, arguably game-costing misses in losses to the Chargers in Week 1, and last week to Tennessee).

 

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere.

 

TRIVIA TIME

 

PLAYER A: 6.58 yards/attempt, 19 TD, 7 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl slot receiver with three 1,000-yard seasons, veteran WR acquired for second-round pick, 2015 first-round pick, 2019 first-round pick who’s missed nine games, 28-year-old former All-Pro WR released after six games, veteran TE who’s missed six games

 

PLAYER B: 6.91 yards/attempt, 18 TD, 6 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl WR who has missed six games, 2019 second-round WR who has missed six games, No. 1 TE who has missed two games, formerly undrafted TE whose never had a 700-yard season, three undrafted WRs (in second, third and fourth NFL seasons)

 

Can you match the player with his 2019 stats?

 

(Hint: Both of them have appeared in this post, and both aren't having great seasons)

Good article and I believe JB will be the starter in 2020 for at least the first half of the season.  But I do want to point out one thing, Player A keeps talking about how bad an ineffective the offense is this year.  Fans of player B talk about how great he is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't see Brissett as the future. He makes way too many ridiculous throws. After the Colts went up 35-21 last Sunday we got a whopping 45 yards of offense. So many quick bubble screens for 3 yards. Why don't the Colts let him throw downfield? Because instead of 3 yards we would  get zero on an incomplete pass. Unfortunately, the biggest needs on this team are another db, dt, and og, get upgrades in those 3 positions and you don't need to draft a qb. This team has run the ball extremely well against stacked defensive fronts all season because no one respects the qb play of Brissett. I will say this also, Brissett is better than Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges, but I would also guess so is Chad Kelly. The biggest mystery surrounding the Colts right now is why are they keeping Kelly on the 53?(obviously they know they would lose him if they don't), so hopefully he gets a shot next year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

This is what I’ve been trying to say. I think we as  fans are off base in reference to what the Colts Organization actually think. I believe that they are still very much high on Brissett and view him as a possible franchise QB. 

If I had to guess, it's not that they necessarily love JB as if he was top tier guy, it's that's there's no clear moves to improve the position through the draft. And even though I think a guy like Andy Dalton is probably a sizable improvement to JB, people aren't going to accept that..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere.

I’d 100% challenge this sentence. I’ve not seen much, if any improvements in processing from JB from the 2017 year up till this last game. In fact, it could be worse now than the 2017 season. Either way, processing is certainly his worst trait and I don’t think bodes well for a starting QB in the NfL. If only he could get the defenses to respect his game just as an average starter, the game could open up so much more. 
 

maybe our offense should just become the Army-Navy game style. Run run run run run. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah no. I know the Colts franchise is so used to always having the answer in front of them but this is not it. Jacoby Brissett is not the future of the Colts plain and simple. A fluff piece from SI doesn’t change that. He not special whatsoever. He has clear limitations that aren’t going to fix themselves when everyone is healthy. He’s not bad or anything but he doesn’t scare anyone on the opposing team. Teams are more scared of Winston then they are Jacoby.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’d 100% challenge this sentence. I’ve not seen much, if any improvements in processing from JB from the 2017 year up till this last game. In fact, it could be worse now than the 2017 season. Either way, processing is certainly his worst trait and I don’t think bodes well for a starting QB in the NfL. If only he could get the defenses to respect his game just as an average starter, the game could open up so much more. 
 

maybe our offense should just become the Army-Navy game style. Run run run run run. 

I agree that I would challenge that as well.  Also, I didn't write it, the SI author did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree that I would challenge that as well.  Also, I didn't write it, the SI author did.

I just picked out this area of the quote in the post itself. Wasn’t picking on you, you’re just the quoted person it attached to I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

This is what I’ve been trying to say. I think we as  fans are off base in reference to what the Colts Organization actually think. I believe that they are still very much high on Brissett and view him as a possible franchise QB. 

 

When a QB has nearly 30 starts in his career, regardless of the circumstances, you know whether or not you have a franchise QB. If anyone has doubts about Jacoby at 27 years old and nearly 30 starts then he isn't the franchise QB.

 

There seems to be 2 thoughts regarding Brissett this season.

 

1. He is a franchise QB if the Colts upgrade the receivers and they stay healthy.

2. He is terrible and should be replaced as soon as possible.

 

The truth is somewhere between those two thoughts.

 

Jacoby would be better if he played with better receivers but that doesn't mean that Jacoby becomes a franchise QB. This doesn't mean the Colts don't need to upgrade that position group though.

 

Jacoby is not terrible. He is a QB a team can make the playoffs with and going on a run. But he is not an elite QB. So if the Colts come across someone in the draft who they view as being elite, or the potential to become elite, they will absolutely select him and let him sit a year or two behind Jacoby. 

 

The Colts can believe in Jacoby as a starter but still look to upgrade that position if the right player comes along. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Disclaimer: I still don't know if Brissett is the future at QB.  But the more film I watch, the more Jordan Love looks like DeShone Kizer rather than Patrick Mahomes.  With where the Colts will be picking, there are no "sure thing" QBs.

 

Regardless of what the Colts do this off-season, Brissett is likely to be the starting QB next year.  It will be intriguing to see if the Colts can surround him with better skill talent and whether a full off-season to prepare like a starter helps him improve. 

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/08/nfl-week-14-preview-analysis

This guy (writer) is the same guy that thought the Lions would win the NFC North last year, and that the NYGs would have one of the better O's last year... 

 

6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Excerpt:

 

Before the receiving corps deteriorated due to injury, the Colts were sitting at 5-2 and Brissett was on pace for 3,600 yards, 32 TD passes and a 99.3 passer rating. Now left with Zach Pascal and the Funky Bunch, Brissett would surely kill for the kind of talent Tom Brady has with the slumping Patriots at the moment.

 

 

This is hilarious.... Brady's receiving corp is #1 Edleman who leads the league in drops and is only target #1 because Brown and Gordon were let go. Dorsett is their #2 lol... They picked up Sannu, but he's averaging less than 30 YPG. Brown did better than both Dorsett and Sannu in just one game before he was cut. Their TEs are pretty much non-existent.

 

Also, JBs averages early on are a little misleading. 4 of those early games were vs teams with bottom 10 passing Ds, and we've probably played more teams with bad passing Ds this year than the majority of the league. Also, teams did not have film early on of JB in FR's O. Opponents learned quick to focus on the run and dare JB to throw.

 

Quote

Then there was the injury to Brissett himself, which has shaded this season. Had he not sprained his MCL in Pittsburgh and finished the de-pantsing of the Steelers rather than turning it over to Brian Hoyer to, well, turn it over for the remainder of that game as well as the next one (an upset loss to Miami), Indy would be sitting at 8-4 right now. If their kicking game hadn’t devolved at a stunning rate (if you project points-per-kick based on league-average rates from inside-50-yard attempts, 50-plus attempts and PATs, Adam Vinatieri is a league-worst -11.9 on the year while opposing kickers against the Colts are +7.4, fourth-best in the league), you could probably push that record to at least 9-3 (there were particularly egregious, arguably game-costing misses in losses to the Chargers in Week 1, and last week to Tennessee).

 

Remove the Hoyer games as they're irrelevant. Sure you can blame AV for some of our woes, but lets be honest, we shouldn't have been in a situation where we had to have a FG to win, in a lot of these games against mediocre teams. Aside from just a few games vs very bad passing Ds, our passing O has been bad to mediocre all year.

 

Quote

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere.

 

Faster processor? Huh? His time to throw has not improved at all. And it's not like there haven't been a ton of film showing wide open WRs and TEs all year long...... Underrated touch? Are you kidding me. He has two speeds. Fast and faster. 

 

Quote

 

TRIVIA TIME

 

PLAYER A: 6.58 yards/attempt, 19 TD, 7 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl slot receiver with three 1,000-yard seasons, veteran WR acquired for second-round pick, 2015 first-round pick, 2019 first-round pick who’s missed nine games, 28-year-old former All-Pro WR released after six games, veteran TE who’s missed six games

 

PLAYER B: 6.91 yards/attempt, 18 TD, 6 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl WR who has missed six games, 2019 second-round WR who has missed six games, No. 1 TE who has missed two games, formerly undrafted TE whose never had a 700-yard season, three undrafted WRs (in second, third and fourth NFL seasons)

 

Can you match the player with his 2019 stats?

 

(Hint: Both of them have appeared in this post, and both aren't having great seasons)

 

 

We should probably look at the regression of every pass catcher (when healthy) this year with the exception of  Pascal. 

 

Also, if A is the Pats, like I said above, they've been a revolving door at WR, had no TEs, plus serious OL woes..... yet are still a top 10 passing O.... while we are bottom 10.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

When a QB has nearly 30 starts in his career, regardless of the circumstances, you know whether or not you have a franchise QB. If anyone has doubts about Jacoby at 27 years old and nearly 30 starts then he isn't the franchise QB.

 

There seems to be 2 thoughts regarding Brissett this season.

 

1. He is a franchise QB if the Colts upgrade the receivers and they stay healthy.

2. He is terrible and should be replaced as soon as possible.

 

The truth is somewhere between those two thoughts.

 

Jacoby would be better if he played with better receivers but that doesn't mean that Jacoby becomes a franchise QB. This doesn't mean the Colts don't need to upgrade that position group though.

 

Jacoby is not terrible. He is a QB a team can make the playoffs with and going on a run. But he is not an elite QB. So if the Colts come across someone in the draft who they view as being elite, or the potential to become elite, they will absolutely select him and let him sit a year or two behind Jacoby. 

 

The Colts can believe in Jacoby as a starter but still look to upgrade that position if the right player comes along. 

I 100% agree with this post. I can believe that Jacoby could develop into a good starting QB. But at the same time, I can believe that Ballard will definitely pull the trigger if he views someone is better than JB. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of us Colts fans were in a hurry to win because Luck was getting older but now that is not an issue. Since our team is so young we are not time strapped anymore. We have time for JB to grow or a new draft pick. It’s obvious our young players have a lot to learn and it will take time unfortunately.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Most of us Colts fans were in a hurry to win because Luck was getting older

 

i know i was.  i was hoping they would go all in and sign more skill players, spending money to win now with Luck

 

i thought he would retire by the time he turned 35

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

 

i know i was.  i was hoping they would go all in and sign more skill players, spending money to win now with Luck

 

i thought he would retire by the time he turned 35

Most of us are still in that mode but if you think about, things have changed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

 The biggest mystery surrounding the Colts right now is why are they keeping Kelly on the 53?(obviously they know they would lose him if they don't), so hopefully he gets a shot next year.

The mystery is compunded by the fact they already cut him this year and he was claimed by........... Yeah, so those teams proved Kelly is great by snatching him up when they had the chance to for nothing.  "He's the highest paid PS guy in the league" is nothing to a team looking for a QB.  They'd have grabbed him faster than lightning if they wanted him. 

 

As s for the article, I stopped when I read "since last we saw him, Brissett is processing faster". Processing what faster?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article is pretty bad. Faster processor? Underrated touch? 

 

This was posted in the Brissett thread and some poster, can’t remember who, rightfully ripped it to shreds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Disclaimer: I still don't know if Brissett is the future at QB.  But the more film I watch, the more Jordan Love looks like DeShone Kizer rather than Patrick Mahomes.  With where the Colts will be picking, there are no "sure thing" QBs.

 

Regardless of what the Colts do this off-season, Brissett is likely to be the starting QB next year.  It will be intriguing to see if the Colts can surround him with better skill talent and whether a full off-season to prepare like a starter helps him improve. 

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/08/nfl-week-14-preview-analysis

 

Excerpt:

 

Before the receiving corps deteriorated due to injury, the Colts were sitting at 5-2 and Brissett was on pace for 3,600 yards, 32 TD passes and a 99.3 passer rating. Now left with Zach Pascal and the Funky Bunch, Brissett would surely kill for the kind of talent Tom Brady has with the slumping Patriots at the moment.

 

Then there was the injury to Brissett himself, which has shaded this season. Had he not sprained his MCL in Pittsburgh and finished the de-pantsing of the Steelers rather than turning it over to Brian Hoyer to, well, turn it over for the remainder of that game as well as the next one (an upset loss to Miami), Indy would be sitting at 8-4 right now. If their kicking game hadn’t devolved at a stunning rate (if you project points-per-kick based on league-average rates from inside-50-yard attempts, 50-plus attempts and PATs, Adam Vinatieri is a league-worst -11.9 on the year while opposing kickers against the Colts are +7.4, fourth-best in the league), you could probably push that record to at least 9-3 (there were particularly egregious, arguably game-costing misses in losses to the Chargers in Week 1, and last week to Tennessee).

 

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere.

 

TRIVIA TIME

 

PLAYER A: 6.58 yards/attempt, 19 TD, 7 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl slot receiver with three 1,000-yard seasons, veteran WR acquired for second-round pick, 2015 first-round pick, 2019 first-round pick who’s missed nine games, 28-year-old former All-Pro WR released after six games, veteran TE who’s missed six games

 

PLAYER B: 6.91 yards/attempt, 18 TD, 6 INT, while throwing to Pro Bowl WR who has missed six games, 2019 second-round WR who has missed six games, No. 1 TE who has missed two games, formerly undrafted TE whose never had a 700-yard season, three undrafted WRs (in second, third and fourth NFL seasons)

 

Can you match the player with his 2019 stats?

 

(Hint: Both of them have appeared in this post, and both aren't having great seasons)

He blows those numbers hide just how bad he is at going through his reads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Remove the Hoyer games as they're irrelevant. Sure you can blame AV for some of our woes, but lets be honest, we shouldn't have been in a situation where we had to have a FG to win, in a lot of these games against mediocre teams. Aside from just a few games vs very bad passing Ds, our passing O has been bad to mediocre all year.

 

Removing the Hoyer games and brushing aside the awful kicking is taking away real and substantial reasons the Colts lost games.  If you have a good kicker in some of those games, they're not necessarily as close.  It's a double-edged sword. 

 

As much as I've been critical of Brissett in the past (and I'll continue to be a tough grader), I think that's taking it a bit too far to pin the team's performances/record on JB. 

 

The SI author has some hit and miss points.  When he sums Brissett up as a high-end game manager, I think that's pretty accurate.  Functional mobility?  Check.  Underrated touch?  The Pascal throw to the back of the end zone demonstrated this.  However, the frozen rope laser beam to Doyle on 4th and 2 did not lol.  The fact that we don't know how much the MCL injury has affected JB is another very reasonable and salient point. 

 

I'm didn't buy everything this SI guy said, but he made some points that helped me snap back more toward the "middle ground" on Jacoby.  That, plus really taking the time to watch more Love.  He was pretty mediocre this year.  Couple of wow throws per game, but a lot of really bad decision-making and throwing to a predetermined read.  Looked like he had no interest in or ability to read defenses.  I was guilty of wanting a relatively unknown quantity to be the answer/guy, but it's just not going to be that easy.  There is no Mahomes where the Colts will be picking.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

 

Removing the Hoyer games and brushing aside the awful kicking is taking away real and substantial reasons the Colts lost games.  If you have a good kicker in some of those games, they're not necessarily as close.  It's a double-edged sword. 

 

As much as I've been critical of Brissett in the past (and I'll continue to be a tough grader), I think that's taking it a bit too far to pin the team's performances/record on JB. 

 

The SI author has some hit and miss points.  When he sums Brissett up as a high-end game manager, I think that's pretty accurate.  Functional mobility?  Check.  Underrated touch?  The Pascal throw to the back of the end zone demonstrated this.  However, the frozen rope laser beam to Doyle on 4th and 2 did not lol.  The fact that we don't know how much the MCL injury has affected JB is another very reasonable and salient point. 

 

I'm didn't buy everything this SI guy said, but he made some points that helped me snap back more toward the "middle ground" on Jacoby.  That, plus really taking the time to watch more Love.  He was pretty mediocre this year.  Couple of wow throws per game, but a lot of really bad decision-making and throwing to a predetermined read.  Looked like he had no interest in or ability to read defenses.  I was guilty of wanting a relatively unknown quantity to be the answer/guy, but it's just not going to be that easy.  There is no Mahomes where the Colts will be picking.

 

W and Ls aren't everything when grading a QB. For instance I don't give JB a lot of credit for the Game 2 win vs TN. He had a 30ish QBR, two turnovers, only 150ish yards, etc.. We won that game, but some how folks are giving him credit for being 5-2 when he pretty much sucked that game??? People want to keep adding Ws to the record with what ifs in the place of losses, well how about adding Ls to the record for duds when we actually won. Look at what he did, not what the D or running game did, or what the special teams didn't do.

 

In short, I don't look at Ws and Ls all that much when it comes to grading individual performance. When we're playing mediocre to bad teams, especially ones with horrible pass Ds, I expect us to beat that team, and not require FGs to do so. When every game is close because the passing O is lackluster, sorry, but I'm more concerned with the passing game than missed FGs...

 

 I also don't give to much credit for nice "moments" when their overall body of work for the game was pretty bad or mediocre. A clutch moment (like the Denver game) doesn't erase bad performance that translated to a situation that required a clutch moment in the first place. It's a circular irony. QB plays bad, team is down, QB has a clutch moment to overcome a whole game of mediocrity... That's not sustainable stuff. 

 

At most he's a game manager that lowers the level of WRs and TEs. He also puts added stress on the OL with a high time to throw, as well as extra stress on the running game because opponents don't respect the passing game.. 

 

On Love... I'd recommend that you look at his 2018 film when he actually had a team around him, and a decent coach. He lost just about everything after the 2018 season.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Rex Grossman led the Bears to a Super Bowl 

 

"Trent Dilfer led the Ravens to a Super Bowl" 

 

These are the comments I saw on Twitter this morning regarding Jacoby from pro Jacoby supporters. The Colts cannot expect the defense to bail Jacoby out game after game. This team was not built for that and Frank is not building that type of team. He isn't accurate enough to be a franchise Quarterback. Was Jack supposed to catch that ball he thew to him with his legs? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

W and Ls aren't everything when grading a QB. For instance I don't give JB a lot of credit for the Game 2 win vs TN. He had a 30ish QBR, two turnovers, only 150ish yards, etc.. We won that game, but some how folks are giving him credit for being 5-2 when he pretty much sucked that game??? People want to keep adding Ws to the record with what ifs in the place of losses, well how about adding Ls to the record for duds when we actually won. Look at what he did, not what the D or running game did, or what the special teams didn't do.

 

In short, I don't look at Ws and Ls all that much when it comes to grading individual performance. When we're playing mediocre to bad teams, especially ones with horrible pass Ds, I expect us to beat that team, and not require FGs to do so. When every game is close because the passing O is lackluster, sorry, but I'm more concerned with the passing game than missed FGs...

 

 I also don't give to much credit for nice "moments" when their overall body of work for the game was pretty bad or mediocre. A clutch moment (like the Denver game) doesn't erase bad performance that translated to a situation that required a clutch moment in the first place. It's a circular irony. QB plays bad, team is down, QB has a clutch moment to overcome a whole game of mediocrity... That's not sustainable stuff. 

 

At most he's a game manager that lowers the level of WRs and TEs. He also puts added stress on the OL with a high time to throw, as well as extra stress on the running game because opponents don't respect the passing game.. 

 

On Love... I'd recommend that you look at his 2018 film when he actually had a team around him, and a decent coach. He lost just about everything after the 2018 season.

 

 

Baker Mayfield  was the number one overall pick,  they gave him weapons.   He is still not playing well.   Investing a high pick in a qb is risky unless you're convinced he is the guy.   We will see what Ballard does.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Baker Mayfield  was the number one overall pick,  they gave him weapons.   He is still not playing well.   Investing a high pick in a qb is risky unless you're convinced he is the guy.   We will see what Ballard does.   

Our organization is a bit different than the Browns lol. I'd also be fine taking some calculated risks. Building a roster to offset the limitations of a low ceiling QB is generally not a recipe for consistent post season success. Either the planets have to align in getting the right QB in the draft, or align to allow a game manager QB to go far in the post season.

 

And right or wrong, ticket sales and attendance aren't very kind when it comes to a game manager QB in general. And in Indy, the impact is likely doubled given what the fan base has come to expect over the last 20 years. It's going to be interesting (Ballard). I could also see Irsay "helping" the decision.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Baker Mayfield  was the number one overall pick,  they gave him weapons.   He is still not playing well.   Investing a high pick in a qb is risky unless you're convinced he is the guy.   We will see what Ballard does.   

I honestly think some people in here think drafting a franchise QB is easy the way they post. Some are like lets just kick JB to the curb and draft someone, no problem. The guy we draft could actually be worse on the pro level.

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think some people in here think drafting a franchise QB is easy the way they post. Some are like lets just kick JB to the curb and draft someone, no problem. The guy we draft could actually be worse on the pro level.

 

I don't think anyone thinks it's easy. I think most simply would prefer risk to settling. Teams draft and replace players every year. Just because it's the "QB" position doesn't mean fans will be content with less than average or average. If anything, they're willing to accept more risk.

 

We're not a rebuilding team like Cinci or Miami. One side of O (running) is very good, and our OL is top 5. We're one of the better teams in terms of landing spots for a rook QB, so the risk is likely less here, than a place like Miami or Cinci... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanuckColt said:

That's too bad...I guess I won't be watching many Colts games next year.

 

That is probably still more games than the writer of that article watched..... 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

That's too bad...I guess I won't be watching many Colts games next year.

Oh darn

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he'll be the starter for at least next year at a minimum.  Doesnt mean we won't draft someone else, but I do believe he'll be the starter for 2020.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a Colts fan since I was 5 years old. Through the high and low. I will say the two years Brissett has been at QB, it was the two hardest seasons I have watched as a Colts fan.  And I have seen Pagel, Erickson, Trudeau, Chandler, Justin, and others at QB.  Brissett is painful because he holds onto the ball too long, won't throw unless a guy is wide open, and they hardly score.  He will have two hears to show he can't get it done. If they give him another year, I promise right now it will be another painful year.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

As a long time Colt fan I agree with you 110% "lennymoore24".  Brissett must go!!!

We are stuck with him, and it's not because Ballard or Luck believe in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I have been a Colts fan since I was 5 years old. Through the high and low. I will say the two years Brissett has been at QB, it was the two hardest seasons I have watched as a Colts fan.  And I have seen Pagel, Erickson, Trudeau, Chandler, Justin, and others at QB.  Brissett is painful because he holds onto the ball too long, won't throw unless a guy is wide open, and they hardly score.  He will have two hears to show he can't get it done. If they give him another year, I promise right now it will be another painful year.

 

I am not saying JB is good or anything but if you think he isn't better than Pagel, Erickson, Trudeau, Chandler, Justin or even someone like Painter or Tolzien then you need glasses. Not trying to be funny but JB is better than all of those guys no matter how much you hate the guy. I have seen them all too being a Colts fan since 1984. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It's almost as if playstyle and traits actually matter. It's almost as if surrounding talent matters, right? Shocking indeed. 
    • 9th by ESPN analytics.   Used Wins Above Replacement as their main metric.   Apologies,  it's a Premium story and I'm never quite sure what I'm allowed to reveal about stories like that.   Remember,  we started off drafting 26th...     and then traded back to 34th where we took Rock.   So, from there our class of Rock, Ben, Parris, Bobby, Khari, Tell and Speed did well enough to have us ranked 9th overall.   With his full staff in place,  we have a front office that seems to have a good idea of what they're doing.
    • It is funny how this "game manager" tag gets stuck on Fromm.  Last year Fromm threw 30 TDs, Love had 32.  Yet, Love is the playmaker and Fromm a game manager.  So this year Love throws 20 TDs and it is blamed on the changes in coaching and players around him.  Fromm through less TDs this year because they had a run orientated team.  But Fromm is a game manager.  Or he has great talent around him.  Couldn't that argument be made for Burrow?  I like your points here.  I like Fromm because he is decisive and accurate and go throw progressions well.  As much as people like to say the NFL is changing you need QBs to make plays out of the pocket, if you look at the final 4 QBs, Mahomes in the only one I would say would do that.  The players who succeed are ultimately the ones who make plays from the pocket.  It always has been that way and always will be that way.  Because it ultimately is about timing.  Guys like Watson make a few nice plays a game but are inconsistent.  I would rather have someone who is efficient and consistenly makes the right throws.
    • So... do you like PFF now?  
    • Muhammad Wilkerson   Rnsovee Ferfing 
  • Members

    • zibby43

      zibby43 1,229

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 6,869

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Robert Johnson

      Robert Johnson 353

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • rock8591

      rock8591 1,048

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,335

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nancy

      Nancy 50

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Horshoekid1986

      Horshoekid1986 7

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 2,803

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BleedBlu8792

      BleedBlu8792 1,535

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jdubu

      Jdubu 1,304

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...