Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 Free Agent Wishlist for Colts

Of the potential Free Agents to be in 2020, who's on your wishlist?

For me it's a no brainer, it's DT Chris Jones from KC. I'd be all for Ballard making him one of the highest paid DTs in the league. Ballard has familiarity with him, and he has the length Ballard covets in his DL players. This would allow Indy to truly take the best player available round 1, unless Chris is just enamored with Jordan Love at QB in round 1, or if he wants to trade back to get more picks. 

Other positions I wouldn't mind addressing in free agency include CB, K, and TE. 

- The CB position could use another quality starter option with Quincy Wilson on the way out, and Rock Ya-Sin still needing time to develop. 

- K could obviously stand to be looked at in free agency.

- TE is another position we could use another potential starter alongside Doyle. Need that matchup nightmare option to replace Ebron if he walks.

• Like 1

1. WR - Robby Anderson would be the other field stretching guy that we can play opposite TY while using Parris Campbell underneath in the slot to use his speed for YAC or a "healthy" Funchess (or big bodied TE / Wide out from draft) for contested catches in the slot. 

2. Depth signing at Cornerback - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Bengals, coming off knee surgery, most likely the Bengals will release him. He has been playing solid for them. Byron Jones would also be one I would want us to look from Cowboys.

3. Shelby Harris, DT, Denver Broncos - very unsung hero, we will not be disappointed if we sign this guy. He disrupts, and he does not have quite the name recognition that Chris Jones of KC has.

4. Another DT I want us to look at is Damion Square of the Los Angeles Chargers, he is a good 1-gap DT that disrupts as well.

• Like 1

Wide Receivers 

1a. Robby Anderson (26) - Alternative if Ballard can't land Cooper. His touchdown production is a little down this year but I love the way this guy plays. I can see him getting a similar deal that Tyrell Williams got from the Raiders. 

1b. Nelson Algholor (26) - Again, another alternative if Ballard can't land either Cooper or Anderson. He has worn out his welcome in Philly and I don't think they'll bring him back.  I don't know if its Wentz, Pederson, or whoever is not getting this guy the ball this season. His best years was when Frank was his offensive coordinator. With Frank, this guy can be close to a 1000 yard receiver. 

Defensive Tackles 

1a. Chris Jones (25) - Easily the best Defensive Tackle in this free agent class. Ballard has to do everything he can to sign this guy. 

1b. Jordan Phillips (27) - The Bills have one of the most underrated defensive units in the NFL. This guy is one of the reasons they're stout up front. 

Cornerbacks

1a. Byron Jones (27) - What would it take to get this guy? He's been a solid CB his entire career. Its a long shot though because the Cowboys can't afford to lose him given who else they have at CB. They might be desperate enough to tag him. 

39 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Wide Receivers 

1a. Robby Anderson (26) - Alternative if Ballard can't land Cooper. His touchdown production is a little down this year but I love the way this guy plays. I can see him getting a similar deal that Tyrell Williams got from the Raiders. 

1b. Nelson Algholor (26) - Again, another alternative if Ballard can't land either Cooper or Anderson. He has worn out his welcome in Philly and I don't think they'll bring him back.  I don't know if its Wentz, Pederson, or whoever is not getting this guy the ball this season. His best years was when Frank was his offensive coordinator. With Frank, this guy can be close to a 1000 yard receiver. 

Defensive Tackles 

1a. Chris Jones (25) - Easily the best Defensive Tackle in this free agent class. Ballard has to do everything he can to sign this guy. 

1b. Jordan Phillips (27) - The Bills have one of the most underrated defensive units in the NFL. This guy is one of the reasons they're stout up front. 

Cornerbacks

1a. Byron Jones (27) - What would it take to get this guy? He's been a solid CB his entire career. Its a long shot though because the Cowboys can't afford to lose him given who else they have at CB. They might be desperate enough to tag him. 

Cowboys only have one tag.  It looks like it's either Dak or Cooper.  I think there best bet is to resign him before FA.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

1. WR - Robby Anderson would be the other field stretching guy that we can play opposite TY while using Parris Campbell underneath in the slot to use his speed for YAC or a "healthy" Funchess (or big bodied TE / Wide out from draft) for contested catches in the slot. 

2. Depth signing at Cornerback - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Bengals, coming off knee surgery, most likely the Bengals will release him. He has been playing solid for them. Byron Jones would also be one I would want us to look from Cowboys.

3. Shelby Harris, DT, Denver Broncos - very unsung hero, we will not be disappointed if we sign this guy. He disrupts, and he does not have quite the name recognition that Chris Jones of KC has.

4. Another DT I want us to look at is Damion Square of the Los Angeles Chargers, he is a good 1-gap DT that disrupts as well.

You had me until you said Damien Square.

30 year old DT who has had one half-way decent contract year.

Chris Jones (DT) or Leonard Williams (same).

Of all of the young name players who will be FA's the only one who I think has a chance to hit FA is Amari Cooper.  If he does I think Ballard will sign him.  He would fill a huge need and on top of that he would jump start ticket sales and Jim would love that.  Two players who I would like to see added would be CB Byron Jones and ER Yannick Ngakoue.  I think there is a chance both make it to FA.  I'm also expecting Funchess to resign and I would not entirely rule out Ebron resigning as well. 

Cowboys have a lot of CAP space, 88M to be precise. I’m certain they will TAG either Dak, Cooper or Jones and have the money to sign all three. I doubt any of those three leave Dallas. 

Personally, I’d rather sign Jones to tighten up the secondary.

• Like 4

The only FA that I'd be pounding the table for, IF they were allowed to walk, is Chris Jones.  He'll probably command a top 1-3 DT contract, but has played up to that so far.  Would really set our DLine over the top and improve the entire defense.  I'm not sure why KC would let him leave, but if for some reason he did, he'd be the only guy I wouldn't mind Ballard getting into a bidding war for.

I'm with OP on this one.  No-brainer.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Of all of the young name players who will be FA's the only one who I think has a chance to hit FA is Amari Cooper.  If he does I think Ballard will sign him.  He would fill a huge need and on top of that he would jump start ticket sales and Jim would love that.  Two players who I would like to see added would be CB Byron Jones and ER Yannick Ngakoue.  I think there is a chance both make it to FA.  I'm also expecting Funchess to resign and I would not entirely rule out Ebron resigning as well. 

A couple of issues I have with what you said. First, I would hope Ballard doesn't shell out big money to Cooper considering the outstanding WR class in this upcoming draft.

Second, I would be extremely frustrated with Ballard if he were to resign Funchess or Ebron, UNLESS it was for a minimal/prove it contract, mainly for Funchess. Ebron doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 10 TE at this point. 

I would be good with getting Ngakoue, but would much rather have DT Chris Jones, who fills a bigger need. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, BProland85 said:

A couple of issues I have with what you said. First, I would hope Ballard doesn't shell out big money to Cooper considering the outstanding WR class in this upcoming draft.

Second, I would be extremely frustrated with Ballard if he were to resign Funchess or Ebron, UNLESS it was for a minimal/prove it contract, mainly for Funchess. Ebron doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 10 TE at this point. 

I would be good with getting Ngakoue, but would much rather have DT Chris Jones, who fills a bigger need. 

Although it's fun to respond to topics like this everything hinges on what transpires with the Colts regarding the QB situation.  If Luck returns that changes everything.  That is still an open question right now IMO.  So we'll see.   I think Cooper is still too good to pass up if he hits FA.  People worry too much about the money here.  Let Ballard work that out.  He knows how to structure good deals.  It's not like we are up against the cap.  We can still draft a WR.  Cooper is already a proven playmaker and that is a huge difference when compared to a rookie.  I think the Cowboys would be more receptive to a sign and trade.  I wouldn't oppose it because we guarantee getting him versus outbidding other suitors.  But if we need our picks to go for a QB that could hamper a sign and trade.  Funchess should be back as well.  We have so much cap room signing Funchess is not going to kill us.  A healed collarbone shouldn't change that.  I would much rather have Chris Jones too but I don't see him making it to FA.  Therefore I picked Ngakoue.    

I think there is very little chance of this happening but part of me would love to see the Colts sign Brandon Scherff. I don't think him and the Redskins ever agreed on an extension.

The Colts should look to upgrade the right side of the offensive line. I think ideally you kick Smith inside to guard and acquire someone else to play right tackle. However, Scherff would be great at guard. Nelson-Kelly-Scherff on the interior would be outstanding.

Signing Scherff would require a lot of money though. Plus, when you factor in extensions for Nelson in a couple years and Kelly soon that means this team will have a major portion of their salary cap to this one position group so I don't see this being realistic. 

Chris Jones would be a great addition. I'm not sure the Chiefs let him walk though. Of all the top free agents out there Jones would probably be number 1 on my list if I were the Colts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I think there is very little chance of this happening but part of me would love to see the Colts sign Brandon Scherff. I don't think him and the Redskins ever agreed on an extension.

The Colts should look to upgrade the right side of the offensive line. I think ideally you kick Smith inside to guard and acquire someone else to play right tackle. However, Scherff would be great at guard. Nelson-Kelly-Scherff on the interior would be outstanding.

Signing Scherff would require a lot of money though. Plus, when you factor in extensions for Nelson in a couple years and Kelly soon that means this team will have a major portion of their salary cap to this one position group so I don't see this being realistic. 

Chris Jones would be a great addition. I'm not sure the Chiefs let him walk though. Of all the top free agents out there Jones would probably be number 1 on my list if I were the Colts.

Scherff would be a great addition.  So far he and the Redskins have yet to agree on an extension and you would have to think they will but we will see.  From what I have been reading the Chiefs are really up against the cap and would have to create a lot of space to resign Chris Jones.  The article I read said the Chiefs could save a huge amount of space by releasing Sammy Watkins.  They apparently have a receiver they like on the roster to take his place so there is a chance they might do it.  Watkins would be a great addition for the Colts and the Ballard connection is there.  This is one to keep an eye on this offseason. 

• Like 1

1) Chris Jones

2) Anthony Costanzo

3) Yannick Ngakoue

4) Austin Hooper

5/6) Amari Cooper

5/6) Cory Littleton

7) Marcus Peters or Byron Jones

My wishlist in order. With that being said Chris Jones is in a tier of his own. He is the only one I'd be willing to break the bank for. I'm talking 5 years 23M a year. If we get any two of these players I would more than ecstatic. 

15 minutes ago, FirsTime said:

1) Chris Jones

2) Anthony Costanzo

3) Yannick Ngakoue

4) Austin Hooper

5/6) Amari Cooper

5/6) Cory Littleton

7) Marcus Peters or Byron Jones

My wishlist in order. With that being said Chris Jones is in a tier of his own. He is the only one I'd be willing to break the bank for. I'm talking 5 years 23M a year. If we get any two of these players I would more than ecstatic. 

We’d be stupid to pay Chris Jones 23 million a year. No DT should make top 15 QB money. 

That being said, I’m with you on him being my highest priority if he tested free agency. I’d be fine paying closer to $15 mil per season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

We’d be stupid to pay Chris Jones 23 million a year. No DT should make top 15 QB money. 

That being said, I’m with you on him being my highest priority if he tested free agency. I’d be fine paying closer to $15 mil per season. 

When I think about it were not going to be paying a QB for at least 4 more years unless we sign a FA. So why not start dividing that money up of the next four years. 23M is excessive you're right. I definitely exaggerated that number and that on me. Donald is at 22.5M and Mr. Jones isn't that good(yet). JJ Watt is at 16.7M and he only plays half seasons. I could see 18M to 20M for Mr. Jones if he hits the market. I have no problem with either one of those figures as long as the contract is five years or less. Maybe even front load the first two years a bit. To be on the safe side due to everyone we will be resigning. 

^ this is why I'm not a GM. No self-control. 

8 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think Chris Jones would be a great addition on the interior side, this would be a tremendous upgrade.  Hope Ballard is paying attention getting the interior line better. Spend some money Ballard!!!

After making the playoffs and winning a game last year I would have thought Ballard would have spent some money for a couple of difference makers in FA but he didn't.  After this season do we honestly think he will?  His short history says no.  He will be interested in quite a few but he will draw his line in the sand on the money and that will be it.  Hope he surprises us but I'm not too excited about FA.   I'm expecting a couple of mid tier players again that will be happy to get another opportunity.   

1. Brandon Scherff, OG

Glowinski will need to be upgraded eventually. Might as well start now. Put Scherff on the line and you have the best OL in football and don’t always have to run the ball to the left.

2. Austin Hooper, TE

Self explanitory. We need a pass catching TE since Ebron is done. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

1. Brandon Scherff, OG

Glowinski will need to be upgraded eventually. Might as well start now. Put Scherff on the line and you have the best OL in football and don’t always have to run the ball to the left.

2. Austin Hooper, TE

I think both of these players would fit the mold of a typical Ballard FA signing.  Scherff just went on IR so we will see if that effects anyones interest.  I would love to see both of them become Colts.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think both of these players would fit the mold of a typical Ballard FA signing.  Scherff just went on IR so we will see if that effects anyones interest.  I would love to see both of them become Colts.  

Yeah Scherff is the type of nasty finisher that plays the same brand of toughness that Nelson does. I also think he could play center in a pinch if needed.

Also is Stefon Diggs a FA? If so I’d add him to the list

Byron Jones is my favorite in the upcoming draft. He is a perfect fit in our defense. A primarily zone corner in a defensive schene under Marinelli that Eberflus runs here. I dont think we can trust Desir to be a CB1 next year both in terms of keeping injury free or his play. Jones is a true CB1 imo.

After that there are alot more options in positions of need with the exception of QB and WR. These 2 will be have to addressed through the draft. But I really would like Ballard to be more aggressive in trying to lure top talents to the Colts. While we have a solid roster, I feel we truely lack difference makers (elite talent) in premuim positions. What I mean is positions like QB, LT, WR, DE, CB we either have ageing (30+) or average players.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, BProland85 said:

For me it's a no brainer, it's DT Chris Jones from KC. I'd be all for Ballard making him one of the highest paid DTs in the league. B

Ballard has a $$ value on the guy. He will be in the mix until the bidding goes beyond that number.  Here is where he will bow out. Has done it many times in FA already and that is why the Colts in day 1 or day 2 of FA has been so bountiful... not.   Quote from Irsay on just one of previous instances (after explaining he has given CB a blank check)-

"(Ballard) has backed down. I know he really, really wanted to bring the player in. When the number got to a certain thing with the agent, he was like, ‘I’m out. I just can’t do it. Can’t live with myself if I do it.’

“And I say bravo to that.”

On 12/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, richard pallo said:

People worry too much about the money here.  

Because Ballard is fiscally prudent, not because Irsay is tight (he's not).

Let Ballard work that out.  He knows how to structure good deals.  It's not like we are up against the cap.

Has to fit into the slot in so many ways. The main pattern is this-

“When push comes to shove, (Ballard) is interested in that front seven on defense and those six guys, including the tight end, on offense,” Irsay said. “We want to be a physical team. We want to be able to fight in the mud and the snow” – here, Irsay is punching his fists for emphasis – “because we have to. We’re not a finesse team. We’re a physical team. Everyone wears those feelings on their sleeve. We can go anywhere, and comport ourselves there and be victorious.”

And the primary building block philosophy is- draft their own, coach up their own, pay their own.  And yes, add some FA pieces that fit fiscally and physically.

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

1. Brandon Scherff, OG

2. Austin Hooper, TE

I like Scherff, but do you think it’s wise to commit the money it would take to sign him to the O-Line? 

We can reasonably assume the Colts resign AC, Kelly is approaching last year of contract and Nelson will get a huge contract in a couple years. 

I think the money would be better invested on the defense or perhaps TE. 

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I like Scherff, but do you think it’s wise to commit the money it would take to sign him to the O-Line? 

We can reasonably assume the Colts resign AC, Kelly is approaching last year of contract and Nelson will get a huge contract in a couple years. 

I think the money would be better invested on the defense or perhaps TE. 

It would be a luxury signing so to speak. But I was just thinking that with Luck gone and the only rookie contacts  you have to worry about are Kelly, Nelson, and Leonard (maybe Mack), that’s you have room to spare. But with how cheap Ballard is and how badly teams like the Bengals, Jets, And Cardinals in desperate need of OL, we’ll likely get outbid for him.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It would be a luxury signing so to speak. But I was just thinking that with Luck gone and the only rookie contacts  you have to worry about are Kelly, Nelson, and Leonard (maybe Mack), that’s you have room to spare. But with how cheap Ballard is and how badly teams like the Bengals, Jets, And Cardinals in desperate need of OL, we’ll likely get outbid for him.

I’m anxious to see if Ballard actually signs a Tier 1 FA this off season with all that CAP space. 

14 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I’m anxious to see if Ballard actually signs a Tier 1 FA this off season with all that CAP space. 

He needs to. Can’t always go to the draft. Rookies can take time to develop. You’ve don’t have to pay Luck $20 million a year anymore so nothing is stopping you.

With the Colt's potentially targeting one of the top three DI players in Round 1 (Javon Kinlaw, Derrick Brown, or Marvin Wilson) I would spend some serious cash on SDE Arik Armstead to replace Jabaal Sheard and WDE Jadeveon Clowney.  Houston is playing well for his age at WDE and wouldn't mind keeping Houston on long term after his contract expires this upcoming year.  Clowney's past injury history is of concern but a younger version of Houston. 

This draft is very weak on DI players outside of the top 3 mentioned above.   The 49ers will be hard pressed to keep Armstead after this year.  This would definitely upgrade our trenches on defense for years to come. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

With the Colt's potentially targeting one of the top three DI players in Round 1 (Javon Kinlaw, Derrick Brown, or Marvin Wilson) I would spend some serious cash on SDE Arik Armstead to replace Jabaal Sheard and WDE Jadeveon Clowney.  Houston is playing well for his age at WDE and wouldn't mind keeping Houston on long term after his contract expires this upcoming year.  Clowney's past injury history is of concern but a younger version of Houston. 

This draft is very weak on DI players outside of the top 3 mentioned above.   The 49ers will be hard pressed to keep Armstead after this year.  This would definitely upgrade our trenches on defense for years to come. 

Definitely a fan of this idea. Was thinking about it too. I don´t think the 49ers have the cap space to keep him.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:10 PM, chad72 said:

What is the desire to have another field stretcher as a starter?  Using he and TY to open up the slot seems more like something Arians or Chud mught want.  My feeling is that we need a more lateral guy, more shake and bake type to turn a 7 yard route or WR screen into a 17 yard gain.

I don't know if PC is that lateral guy, since I think his YAC will come from sheer speed rather than moves.

And I agree, we do need a contested catch receiver.  Throw it to him on the correct shoulder and he wins the battle a lot.