Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Final Three Games...What Should Be Done?

Barry Sears

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He won the backup job on the 53 in Denver. He lost that due to maturity issues, not because of play or lack thereof. There's a reason we kept him around and made him one of the highest paid PS players. 

And yes, he played all preseason and overtook Walker whom we had last year. So he's not been 4th.. He's been 3rd all year. 

I can flip this... outside of bad behavior (which is the crux of his situation), he's done nothing to suggest he's a bad QB..... 

luck-brissett-hoyer-Kelly 

Dude was 4th on the list of QBs we had this year.  He wouldn’t even be on the roster if it wasn’t for Brissett’s knee injury.  He may develop into a good backup but he will never be a franchise QB. Never. Playing him now is a waste of time and undercuts the current starting QB and puts the team in more of a tailspin of uncertainty.  Hope the kid keeps his job in the NFL but I’m not optimistic about Mr Irrelevant becoming anything more than a fringe NFL player. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Dude was 4th on the list of QBs we had this year.  He wouldn’t even be on the roster if it wasn’t for Brissett’s knee injury.  He may develop into a good backup but he will never be a franchise QB. Never. Playing him now is a waste of time and undercuts the current starting QB and puts the team in more of a tailspin of uncertainty.  Hope the kid keeps his job in the NFL but I’m not optimistic about Mr Irrelevant becoming anything more than a fringe NFL player. 

Luck and Hoyer would have never been on the roster together, so your "4th" is very creative lol... 

And no, he wouldn't have been on the roster if Brissett didn't get hurt, but we wouldn't have traded for a 3rd string 3rd round guy either 2 years ago had Luck not got hurt. So what's your point.... Kelly was signed originally to likely stay on the PS for the year to prove he could behave, not come in and start or be the backup.

Bottom line, Kelly won a back up job in Denver because of his play, and lost it because of his behavior, not because of his play. He got a second chance with an NFL club here, and looked good in pre season, better than Brissett looked last year in pre season (the only clear comparables). So say whatever you want, but understand that all your criticism is pure opinion which is based on zero.

I get it, you like Brissett, but he's already lost a good majority of the fan base. Attendance has been impacted, and ticket sales will be impacted. It is what it is. His stats in just about every major category are below the median (21st QBR, 28th YPG, 23rd AVG), and even the INT stat that everyone keeps throwing out to say he's "good" is actually very very average if you look at INT/Attempt %. And this has been the case all year, not just since "injuries" happened. He's simply below average currently, with a ceiling of average. 

As far as undercutting the QB... I've never said start Kelly. I said play him if Monday's game get out of hand. And honestly if they've already decided to draft a QB, undercutting him is irrelevant. The media, fans, and mocks are all trending towards the Colts drafting a QB, so things are only going to get tougher for the FO and JB when it comes to question. He's already took issue with the "audition" question, so pretty sure he's feeling the heat. 

And lastly,,, the Colts made Kelly one of the highest paid PS players in the league. Why do that if he's a nothing. There are plenty of nothing QBs out there they could have paid the minimum. They could have simply kept Waker if that were the case. So assuming the FO does like him, and assuming he is keeping his nose clean, there is absolutely value in seeing what he can do in game situations, and especially if they've already decided that JB is not the future.

• Like 5

I agree with this, The Colts have given a roster spot to a player for some reason, I have to imagine it is for future opportunity. One could say the positions that were the weakest on the Colts this year were qb and kicker, the 2 positions the brass did not allow any "competition". 

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

You do realize that he was NEVER Fourth...... right??

Luck was gone before Hoyer was signed

I have NO IDEA if Kelly is a keeper or not......

He was a headcase...... maybe he still is a headcase

I dont know that he is the long term answer.. Or not

......... the little that I have seen of him

- He has better touch than JB

- He has better accuracy than JB

- He has a quicker release than JB

- He is much more mobile than JB

- He moves through reads quicker than JB

Other than THOSE factors....... I would agree  

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Finding out what he has is NOT a waste of time.   I think it is a smart move to see what the team has in its backups once eliminated from the playoffs.   The Colts are not eliminated yet so it makes sense to start Brissett against the Saints.  

On 12/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, Flash7 said:

I think the coaches see Jacoby as the #1 QB for next year. They see Chad Kelly as the #3 QB.

If Jacoby is the #1 for next year, then they will keep playing him and provide him with more live game experience.

If they played Chad Kelly at all this year, they would be feeding into the frenzy and undermine JB's position as the unquestioned #1 QB. I don't think we see Chad Kelly play until next preseason.

Jacoby should never be anything more than number 2 moving forward.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Luck and Hoyer would have never been on the roster together, so your "4th" is very creative lol... 

And no, he wouldn't have been on the roster if Brissett didn't get hurt, but we wouldn't have traded for a 3rd string 3rd round guy either 2 years ago had Luck not got hurt. So what's your point.... Kelly was signed originally to likely stay on the PS for the year to prove he could behave, not come in and start or be the backup.

Bottom line, Kelly won a back up job in Denver because of his play, and lost it because of his behavior, not because of his play. He got a second chance with an NFL club here, and looked good in pre season, better than Brissett looked last year in pre season (the only clear comparables). So say whatever you want, but understand that all your criticism is pure opinion which is based on zero.

I get it, you like Brissett, but he's already lost a good majority of the fan base. Attendance has been impacted, and ticket sales will be impacted. It is what it is. His stats in just about every major category are below the median (21st QBR, 28th YPG, 23rd AVG), and even the INT stat that everyone keeps throwing out to say he's "good" is actually very very average if you look at INT/Attempt %. And this has been the case all year, not just since "injuries" happened. He's simply below average currently, with a ceiling of average. 

As far as undercutting the QB... I've never said start Kelly. I said play him if Monday's game get out of hand. And honestly if they've already decided to draft a QB, undercutting him is irrelevant. The media, fans, and mocks are all trending towards the Colts drafting a QB, so things are only going to get tougher for the FO and JB when it comes to question. He's already took issue with the "audition" question, so pretty sure he's feeling the heat. 

And lastly,,, the Colts made Kelly one of the highest paid PS players in the league. Why do that if he's a nothing. There are plenty of nothing QBs out there they could have paid the minimum. They could have simply kept Waker if that were the case. So assuming the FO does like him, and assuming he is keeping his nose clean, there is absolutely value in seeing what he can do in game situations, and especially if they've already decided that JB is not the future.

I don’t like Brissett one bit. It’s bc I like Kelly even less. Kid has been kicked off two teams since beginning of college. Drafting a QB is not certain bc a lot can happen between now and then and Players the team like may not be available. Why undermine your current starter on the idea you may or may not be able to replace him?  

Now as far as this is my opinion based on zero.  Of course it is but right back at you buddy. I understand where you are coming from but I strongly disagree. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t like Brissett one bit. It’s bc I like Kelly even less. Kid has been kicked off two teams since beginning of college. Drafting a QB is not certain bc a lot can happen between now and then and Players the team like may not be available. Why undermine your current starter on the idea you may or may not be able to replace him?  

Now as far as this is my opinion based on zero.  Of course it is but right back at you buddy. I understand where you are coming from but I strongly disagree. 

Kelly has been booted twice, yet he's still employed. His new boss is his uncle's buddy.

I've never said he's going to be good, so I'm not projecting an opinion on how he would turn out. Conversely, your assuming he'll never amount to anything based on "liking him even less" than Brissett... The only thing we know for certain about Kelly is that he was prolific in college, has behaved badly, and is he's now on a roster trying to win back trust.

Obviously the Colts see something in him, or they wouldn't have kept him around. The only thing that's now lacking is seeing how he performs in game situations. The only way to do that, is to give him PT. Again, not saying start him at all. But, if the game gets out of hand, why not. And if the FO has already decided to go another direction, it really doesn't matter anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly has been booted twice, yet he's still employed. His new boss is his uncle's buddy.

I've never said he's going to be good, so I'm not projecting an opinion on how he would turn out. Conversely, your assuming he'll never amount to anything based on "liking him even less" than Brissett... The only thing we know for certain about Kelly is that he was prolific in college, has behaved badly, and is he's now on a roster trying to win back trust.

Obviously the Colts see something in him, or they wouldn't have kept him around. The only thing that's now lacking is seeing how he performs in game situations. The only way to do that, is to give him PT. Again, not saying start him at all. But, if the game gets out of hand, why not. And if the FO has already decided to go another direction, it really doesn't matter anyway. 

I never one time said he wouldn’t amount to anything.  You made that up.  I said he will never be a franchise QB and he never will be. The only reason he is on the roster is bc our average Qb got hurt. He wasn’t even dressing for games and the current backup is below average and a turnover machine. He may develop into back up material.  I do hope the kid does well for himself but troublemakers are their own worst enemy.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I never one time said he wouldn’t amount to anything.  You made that up.  I said he will never be a franchise QB and he never will be. The only reason he is on the roster is bc our average Qb got hurt. He wasn’t even dressing for games and the current backup is below average and a turnover machine. He may develop into back up material.  I do hope the kid does well for himself but troublemakers are their own worst enemy.  

To be honest, there are a few so called "troublemakers" I would love to see on t5his team.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:45 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Playing Kelly for one game though isn’t going to really tell them much. But if he has worked hard I don’t have a problem giving him some time in the jags game to reward him for his hard work.

If we're playing Kelly for any reason other than Jacoby getting hurt, we're essentially saying to the NFL world that the FO/Coaching Staff/etc. has given up on the season.  If we lose tomorrow night, we are mathematically eliminated and we don't have playoffs to strive for anymore.

The major positives of playing Kelly then are: (1) we can evaluate him in a real game and see if we have a potential future starter, (2) he plays really well, the FO doesn't think he's our starter, but could maybe be trade bait for a draft pick to a team in desperate need of a solid back-up this off season, and (3) if the FO is sold that JB is our franchise QB, we protect him from injury in essentially meaningless games.

The major negatives of playing Kelly then are: (1) we know we're not going to the playoffs, so there's a high likelihood that he won't be getting the best effort from all of our players and the coaches would also benefit from evaluating some of our bench players so aside from potentially getting a poor effort from his good players, he may get stuck playing with the lesser players which would make it difficult to really evaluate him, (2) the Jags and Panthers are already eliminated, so I imagine they'll be playing their scrubs more than usual with little incentive to win so we may not get their best team/effort on the field, also making it difficult to give a true evaluation, (3) if the coaches currently believe like they say they do that JB is our future, it kind of slaps him in the face, and (4) I would expect we may have some trade value in CK now (maybe a late round draft pick?), so if he went out and performed poorly with a bunch of undrafted FAs as his WRs and TEs, we could lose any current potential value.

Unfortunately, the Colts are in a situation where they don't control their own destiny and I think I heard on TV today that we have <3% odds of making the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Let's not overrate Chad Kelly. He may have the potential to be better than Hoyer, but star quarterbacks don't get drafted with the last pick of the 7th round of any draft.

Even Aaron Hernandez was a 4th round pick.

I guess the argument against you here is that Kelly has done a lot of bone-headed (albeit not gang-related Hernandez bad) stuff off the field.  He moved around from Clemson (where he was getting playing time as a freshman) due to conduct detrimental to the team, then went to community college and then to Ole Miss where he had 2 good years.  Kelly also tore his ACL and meniscus his senior year, an injury bad enough to keep him from participating in the combine.  He was also arrested in 2014 for getting in a fight w/ bouncers at a night club.

I don't think teams doubted that Kelly had pretty good talent coming out of college.  I think they had a huge red flag on him for his off-field incidents, plus he was coming off a  major knee injury.  Not saying he would've been a first rounder or anything, but the guy showed a lot of signs of being a punk and had a major injury to boot.  My guess is, if he didn't get kicked off Clemson and stayed healthy, he would've been picked a little higher in the draft.

• Like 2

If the Colts win tonight-

Play the guys that give you the best chance at winning games.

Should the Colts lose tonight, then-

A.  Any player(s) hurt that could play if in playoff situation but still in need of a procedural or surgical repair of an issue, let him go on IR now and get it fixed ASAP.

B.  Any player close to making his incentives (either LTBE or ULTBE), let him play unless he gets injured or playing further may worsen an existing injury that currently doesn't need procedural intervention to heal..

C. Players that are injured enough to impair their on field performance, let them get treatment as desired, let backups play instead.

D. All players not injured (all players are playing hurt now, talking injury here) play according to the depth chart. That's what they are getting paid for.

Try to do what is best best for the players, especially if it is also best for the team.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:04 AM, cbear said:

Give yourself the best chance to win every game. 

IMO, that mind set is more important then any byproduct that may come about by doing something else. 

This post is what the mindset of every team every week should be regardless of circumstances. The first time you veer off that path....I think you loose credibility with players and fans. Winning is the bottom line and that’s all dedicated players and coaches want to do.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 7:33 AM, csmopar said:

What should be done? Play football, lose, we lose, win, we win. At this point, we can't control anything so may as well try and play spoiler to someone's seeding or even playoff chances.

We play the Panthers and then the Jags the last two weeks... Not too much to spoil for those two teams.

Reich has said that JB will play the remaining 2 games, and I think he needs the work, personally.  He's going to be the starting QB next season, so sitting him the last two games is not the message he needs to hear.

We have lots of other problems to deal with and hopefully JB gets some weapons to use next season via the draft and FA.

2 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Reich has said that JB will play the remaining 2 games, and I think he needs the work, personally.  He's going to be the starting QB next season, so sitting him the last two games is not the message he needs to hear.

I'm not so sure.  It may be just the message he needs to hear.  If he's the starter next season, he needs to know that he needs to step up his game. Sometimes even nice guys need strong messages.   

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm not so sure.  It may be just the message he needs to hear.  If he's the starter next season, he needs to know that he needs to step up his game. Sometimes even nice guys need strong messages.   

I see your point...maybe a benching will light a fire?

• Like 1