Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Final Three Games...What Should Be Done?

Barry Sears

I'm a regular listener to 105.9 The Fan on my drive to and from work.  Listen to Jeff and Big Joe in the morning, then JMV on the drive home.  There's been talk about what the Colts should be doing these last 3 games since the playoffs are basically not in the cards.

Some think it's time to see what Chad Kelly can do.  I know other teams would look at young players who haven't played much during the season, but our young players are pretty much starting most of the time, or getting considerable playing time.  We do have a few that could see more action, though.

So, do we use the next 3 games to evaluate players by giving them more playing time?  OR, do you believe we should stick to playing our regulars (the ones who are not injured)?

I think we play our regulars to see if we can fix some of the problems we've had the past few weeks.  To me, if you sit regulars, then we start next season with the same problems.  Maybe some things can get fixed before the end of the year?

• Like 2

• Barry Sears changed the title to The Final Three Games...What Should Be Done?

I think the coaches see Jacoby as the #1 QB for next year. They see Chad Kelly as the #3 QB.

If Jacoby is the #1 for next year, then they will keep playing him and provide him with more live game experience.

If they played Chad Kelly at all this year, they would be feeding into the frenzy and undermine JB's position as the unquestioned #1 QB. I don't think we see Chad Kelly play until next preseason.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think the coaches see Jacoby as the #1 QB for next year. They see Chad Kelly as the #3 QB.

If Jacoby is the #1 for next year, then they will keep playing him and provide him with more live game experience.

If they played Chad Kelly at all this year, they would be feeding into the frenzy and undermine JB's position as the unquestioned #1 QB. I don't think we see Chad Kelly play until next preseason.

I don't disagree, but it is the wrong choice.  Do we not preach competition?  Why should Jacoby be seen as the unquestioned QB going into next year?  He hasn't earned that right.

Our coaches and gm will be extremely short sighted if they don't play Chad, but they probably won't because it will hurt JBs feelings.  I hate the Patriots but I am in awe of BB.  He would do it without a second thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you play how you normally would because it gives them a chance to end the season on a good note. Also let’s them work through issues they have had. As far as Kelly maybe you give him the second half of the jags game to play a little. No matter what you do not want to create a atmosphere they are quitters. Even if your out of the playoff race.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I don't disagree, but it is the wrong choice.  Do we not preach competition?  Why should Jacoby be seen as the unquestioned QB going into next year?  He hasn't earned that right.

Our coaches and gm will be extremely short sighted if they don't play Chad, but they probably won't because it will hurt JBs feelings.  I hate the Patriots but I am in awe of BB.  He would do it without a second thought.

Fair or not, hypocritical or not, QBs are always treated differently.

If Chad Kelly does play this year, 3 things can happen.

1. Chad Kelly plays so amazingly well that there is NO question that he is the starting QB the following year. (How likely is this to happen? 10% chance? 20%?)

2. Chad Kelly plays fairly well. The Colts have a QB controversy. JB and Chad Kelly fight for the #1 QB position during the preseason, but in all likelihood, neither would be the answer at the QB position if Chad Kelley isn't clearly better than JB.

3. Chad Kelly plays poorly, showing why he was #3 on the depth chart. The coaches must now revert back to JB, after they have shown that they are willing to replace him. The other players now know that they don't have a true #1 leader at the QB position and question the coaches decision.

Unless the coaches completely believe in Chad Kelly, it's my opinion, that he will not play.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. Chad Kelly plays so amazingly well that there is NO question that he is the starting QB the following year. (How likely is this to happen? 10% chance? 20%?)

2. Chad Kelly plays fairly well. The Colts have a QB controversy. JB and Chad Kelly fight for the #1 QB position during the preseason, but in all likelihood, neither would be the answer at the QB position if Chad Kelley isn't clearly better than JB.

3. Chad Kelly plays poorly, showing why he was #3 on the depth chart. The coaches must now revert back to JB, after they have shown that they are willing to replace him. The other players now know that they don't have a true #1 leader at the QB position and question the coaches decision.

Unless the coaches completely believe in Chad Kelly, it's my opinion, that he will not play.

What about drafting a QB? Doesn't that tell JB he isn't the guy, and is just keeping the seat warm for when the new guy is ready?

If Kelly starts JB will get over it, and the team will embrace the staff for doing everything possible for this season and the future of the team.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

But this gives you so much valuable information as an organization, it clears up so much.  You can go into the draft will a much better direction.  If Chad wasn't close to as good to Jacoby then why keep him?  You can find much more stable backups than Chad.  Heck, we already have one of those guys in Hoyer.

1.  We have a guy with huge upside, so maybe we do get Love and see if he develops and gives Chad a run for his money.  Also, Chad my screw up again.

2.  Be aggressive in the draft because neither are going to be the guy.  They can fight it out for the backup.  See if you can get something for Jacoby or Chad.

3.  See number 2.  

Show the team that the Colts walk the walk and that there will be competition at every level 

7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

What about drafting a QB? Doesn't that tell JB he isn't the guy, and is just keeping the seat warm for when the new guy is ready?

If Kelly starts JB will get over it, and the team will embrace the staff for doing everything possible for this season and the future of the team.

Good question.

I think you draft a QB in the early rounds (round 1 or 2) if you truly believe in that QB, in which case, it's a calculated decision to cause some unrest with the team initially, with the hopes that the new QB is the answer at the position.

However, if you draft a QB in the later rounds, I'm sure that the team and JB will understand that it's for the purpose of developing a QB and not for immediately supplanting the #1 QB. JB is safe and the team understands who their #1 QB is.

To me JB starts the Saints game and maybe we get a win.  If we do he keeps starting until we are eliminated.  If we lose I would still start JB the next game but everyone will know in advance we are going to play Kelly during the last two games.  I don't think the team would have a problem with that including JB.  He is on the active roster and this is an opportunity to see a teammate in action. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I think the fans r really going to b disappointed next year.  I don't think they will draft a qb.  I think they r all in for JB the next 2 years . They will get all their receivers back next year and probably get him another wr or TE  early.  

• Like 2

I think you play the regulars. If guys are hurt maybe you don't push it and play them like you would if you are in the playoff mix.

I know JMV has suggested playing Chad Kelly but I probably wouldn't. I see him as the back-up at best over Brian Hoyer going forward. Maybe you want to play him to evaluate that possibility but the Colts likely have a good idea on this already.

Whether it's Jacoby or Chad Kelly I don't think either one will change how the Colts move forward at the quarterback position.

I believe Jacoby is due a signing bonus before free agency begins that will essentially lock him onto the roster for 2020. I expect the Colts to pick that up. Jacoby will be the starter again in 2020. The Colts will try and improve the receiver group and hope to be healthier next year.

They probably want to upgrade that position if the right player is available in the draft and if he is they take him and he is the backup next year to Jacoby. 

There really isn't a lot of young guys not playing already. With so many injuries, especially on offense, they have to play who is healthy and don't have much of a choice who to play in some cases. 

6 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I'm a regular listener to 105.9 The Fan on my drive to and from work.  Listen to Jeff and Big Joe in the morning, then JMV on the drive home.  There's been talk about what the Colts should be doing these last 3 games since the playoffs are basically not in the cards.

Some think it's time to see what Chad Kelly can do.  I know other teams would look at young players who haven't played much during the season, but our young players are pretty much starting most of the time, or getting considerable playing time.  We do have a few that could see more action, though.

So, do we use the next 3 games to evaluate players by giving them more playing time?  OR, do you believe we should stick to playing our regulars (the ones who are not injured)?

I think we play our regulars to see if we can fix some of the problems we've had the past few weeks.  To me, if you sit regulars, then we start next season with the same problems.  Maybe some things can get fixed before the end of the year?

I agree the last 3 games left should be done. Shot in put of its misery

5 hours ago, coltsva said:

Time for Irsay to step in and say to Reich and Ballard “boys, season ticket renewals are at an all time low. Let’s pump some juice into these last few games and see if we can generate some sales. Get that kid Kelly on the field!”

As I have said many times before, we have the best owner in the NFL, this team is his baby.  I think his loyalty to the his player's and coaches have cost this team some win's but that is the way he is.  

I think Jim is probably one of the smartest owners in the league, when it comes to football knowledge, I also think the team, the coaches put on the field for the fan's is important to him as well.

I'm sure Jim has made some suggestions to CB and Frank, on how we play out the rest of the season.  As long as we are competitive Monday night, I figure JB will be the QB, if we are getting punished, I can see Swag going in, giving us a look at how he performs against a quality team, and giving him some national exposure.  If he plays well, but we decide not to keep him, his trade value will rise.

4 hours ago, ar7 said:

I think you play the regulars. If guys are hurt maybe you don't push it and play them like you would if you are in the playoff mix.

I know JMV has suggested playing Chad Kelly but I probably wouldn't. I see him as the back-up at best over Brian Hoyer going forward. Maybe you want to play him to evaluate that possibility but the Colts likely have a good idea on this already.

Whether it's Jacoby or Chad Kelly I don't think either one will change how the Colts move forward at the quarterback position.

I believe Jacoby is due a signing bonus before free agency begins that will essentially lock him onto the roster for 2020. I expect the Colts to pick that up. Jacoby will be the starter again in 2020. The Colts will try and improve the receiver group and hope to be healthier next year.

They probably want to upgrade that position if the right player is available in the draft and if he is they take him and he is the backup next year to Jacoby. 

There really isn't a lot of young guys not playing already. With so many injuries, especially on offense, they have to play who is healthy and don't have much of a choice who to play in some cases. 

This is the best post I have seen regarding this discussion. 

I think you take each game separately.

at Saints Game

I think everything is status quo. If and only if the game gets out of hand, you go to Kelly and see how he reacts. Nobody will blame JB or CK for losing to the Saints on the road. And pulling JB if it gets out of hand doesn't necessarily say JB isn't the guy. Also, don't play any hobbled players unless they are close to 100%. It's just silly to risk additional injury in this type of game.

Home vs Panthers Game

It's the last home game and our most likely win, so laying a turd will be awful for season ticket holders and 2020 sales. If JB is not effective, AND you've made the decision to draft a QB, go to CK in the 2nd half because it doesn't matter at this point. Losing this game to a bad 5-8 team without their starting QB would be a very bad look, and an even worse look if JB is the guy at the helm all game. If we have the lead or it's close, stick with JB, but if not make the change. Play hobbled players as long as they're close to being 100% so that game goers don't feel slighted. I could see the boo birds and Chad Kelly fan club be loud in this game if things don't right.

at Jacksonville

This is a big ?? game. At this point it's not about feelings. It's about draft position and evaluation.  If you've made the decision to move off JB, you need to think of draft position, and honestly most serious fans will likely be thinking the same. And if you're going to draft or go in a different direction, it really doesn't matter how this looks in terms of JB. A loss vs a win could make a 4-6 swing in draft position, and a W for wins sake isn't really worth losing that much position. It's not a home game, so absolutely rest anyone that's not 100% healthy. Wrap TY in bubble wrap and put him on ice. Don't outright sit healthy starters, but get back ups in the mix and especially ones that are rooks or ones you're trying to evaluate. Limit snaps of your franchise guys like Nelson, Leonard, Houston, etc.. Guys like Speed, Johnson, Dulin, Haeg, Kelly, Tell, etc all should get a nice % of snaps. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ar7 said:

I believe Jacoby is due a signing bonus before free agency begins that will essentially lock him onto the roster for 2020. I expect the Colts to pick that up. Jacoby will be the starter again in 2020. 

JB's 2020 signing bonus is already guaranteed. That's the only thing. That was locked in Sept of this year. So really there's nothing that will signal "JB is the future" unless the FO comes out and says it.

• Like 1

I think you play to win the games, to quote Herm Edwards. I think JB is gonna play all three games. I have said this in other topics, what has Ballard or Reich ever said that would lead you to believe they will bench him and out in CK. 

Remember he has been on the practice squad all year, they waive him at one point and he was deactivated last week. If he didn’t get in the game when Hoyer was horrendous against Miami, he ain’t getting in. 

play hard. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think you play to win the games, to quote Herm Edwards. I think JB is gonna play all three games. I have said this in other topics, what has Ballard or Reich ever said that would lead you to believe they will bench him and out in CK. 

Remember he has been on the practice squad all year, they waive him at one point and he was deactivated last week. If he didn’t get in the game when Hoyer was horrendous against Miami, he ain’t getting in. 

play hard. 

Not saying they will or they wont... but...

1. Many fans think Kelly is the best chance at winning, only brings risks because of maturity.

2. Coaches rarely bag on their QBs, yet QBs get replaced every year. Reich and Ballard have been lucky so far that the media is still pitching soft balls on the topic, and haven't had to defend or speculate. 

3. They only waived him to put him on the PS... you're double dipping. And they also made him one of the highest paid PS players in the league. If they did not like him, they would have booted him when they signed Hoyer. They didn't. 

4. IIRC, Kelly wasn't even brought up to the 53 until the day before Miami. He got zero first team snaps lol.. He was never an option outside of emergency.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

What should be done? Play football, lose, we lose, win, we win. At this point, we can't control anything so may as well try and play spoiler to someone's seeding or even playoff chances.

16 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Tank for a top 15 pick. A few token wins at the end of the season

means absolutely nothing. Let's build for the future and put this

season in the past.

Tanking is for cowards.  And top 15 picks doesn't mean squat.  Its really a crap shoot. Ryan Leaf and RG3 were number 2 picks... Tom Brady-199th. Drew Brees was taken in the 2nd round and he's gonna be HoF as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Jacoby earned the saints game at least.  Win or lose.  We're a longshot for a playoff berth, but I think you play as though you intend to have a make that happen. 

If we're mathematically eliminated, which will probably (not definitely) be the case after N.O. playing Kelly wont cause any controversy.  We'll be on a 4(?) game skid, out of playoff contention, and itll be seen as just taking a look at our guys predraft.

And somebody needs to he really nice to Cam when hes in the building........

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Tanking is for cowards.  And top 15 picks doesn't mean squat.  Its really a crap shoot. Ryan Leaf and RG3 were number 2 picks... Tom Brady-199th. Drew Brees was taken in the 2nd round and he's gonna be HoF as well. 

Ballard traded down from our late 1st round pick last season

because of obvious game changing talent was gone by then.

Starter quality players can still be found mid 1st rd selection, not

just quarterbacks either. Brady and Brees were drafted 20 years 

ago past the 2nd rd so getting blue chip quarterbacks late in drafts

are few and far between.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Ballard traded down from our late 1st round pick last season

because of obvious game changing talent was gone by then.

Starter quality players can still be found mid 1st rd selection, not

just quarterbacks either. Brady and Brees were drafted 20 years 

ago past the 2nd rd so getting blue chip quarterbacks late in drafts

are few and far between.

very true, but lets also face it, the QBs coming out this year just don't excite outside of maybe 1-2 of them and there's a TON of QB needy teams well ahead of us. Trading up from 12-17 high enough to get one of them, isn't gonna happen and RARELY ever works out, based on history.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've made peace with liver that they'll probably just lose out. Which sucks. 

I think Colts beat the Saints and then lose the last two.  That way, in the off season, fans can point to the Saints game as a way to say the Colts are close and moving in the right direction but then by losing the last two games CB and Reich are guaranteeing the draft in the the 12-18 range

34 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think Colts beat the Saints and then lose the last two.  That way, in the off season, fans can point to the Saints game as a way to say the Colts are close and moving in the right direction but then by losing the last two games CB and Reich are guaranteeing the draft in the the 12-18 range

please no more excuses for the fans lmao they have made up enough on their own

• Like 3

What do we do the last three games?  Keep force feeding the young players valuable experience.  We've got a LOT of young guys in starting positions, or playing significant minutes in rotations and situational positions, and they need to keep getting better at their craft.

2020 - 2023 depends on the 2017 - 2019 drafted players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

I think Jacoby earned the saints game at least.  Win or lose.  We're a longshot for a playoff berth, but I think you play as though you intend to have a make that happen. 

If we're mathematically eliminated, which will probably (not definitely) be the case after N.O. playing Kelly wont cause any controversy.  We'll be on a 4(?) game skid, out of playoff contention, and itll be seen as just taking a look at our guys predraft.

And somebody needs to he really nice to Cam when hes in the building........

And Teddy as well. 

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

To me JB starts the Saints game and maybe we get a win.  If we do he keeps starting until we are eliminated.  If we lose I would still start JB the next game but everyone will know in advance we are going to play Kelly during the last two games.  I don't think the team would have a problem with that including JB.  He is on the active roster and this is an opportunity to see a teammate in action. 

Agree. Once we are eliminated i would like to see more from Speed and Tell also.

I have a feeling the organization will not give Chad Kelly any opportunities this season, due to their loyalty and commitment to Brissett.

In fact, I predict Kelly will be inactive for the remaining games.

I have no real evidence to back this up, other that the way things have been handled in the past (Vinatieri)