Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Top 20 Big Board (CBS) 12/11/19

Crazy strong WR class. There will be some very very good WRs lasting until the 4th and 5th rounds. There are several very goods one I don't even see named. 

I'm probably going X regardless of who the QB is. If JB is still here, I'm going bigger X. If a new QB, a faster X, or a fast tweener.

Note: This is a Big Board, so RK is ranking inclusive of all positions, and not projected draft pick.

Z or traditional Slot Bolded Blue

X or big/bully Slot Bolded Red

Tweeners are not bolded or colored

RK  PLAYER  SCHOOL  YEAR  *-RK   HT   WT

3 Jerry Jeudy  Alabama Jr  WR1 6-1 192

9 CeeDee Lamb  Oklahoma  Jr  WR2  6-2  189

12  Henry Ruggs III  Alabama  Jr  WR3  6-0 190

18  Tee Higgins  Clemson  Jr  WR4  6-4  215

21  Laviska Shenault Jr.  Colorado  Jr  WR5  6-2  220

27  Jalen Reagor  TCU  Jr  WR6  5-11  195

33  Justin Jefferson  LSU  Jr  WR7  6-3  192

39  Devonta Smith  Alabama  Jr  WR8  6-1  175

48  Tyler Johnson  Minnesota  Sr  WR9  6-2  205

54  Bryan Edwards  South Carolina  Sr  WR10  6-3  215

59  Tylan Wallace  Oklahoma St.  Jr  WR11  6-0  185

60  Collin Johnson  Texas  Sr  WR12  6-6  220

76  Michael Pittman Jr.  USC  Sr  WR13  6-4  220

86  Nico Collins  Michigan  Jr  WR14  6-4  222

89  Tyler Vaughns  USC  Jr  WR15  6-2  190

90  Brandon Aiyuk  Arizona St.  Sr  WR16  6-1  206

91  Sage Surratt  Wake Forest  Soph  WR17  6-3  215

94  Devin Duvernay  Texas  Sr  WR18  5-11  210

97  Denzel Mims  Baylor  Sr  WR19  6-3  215

98  Chase Claypool  Notre Dame  Sr  WR20  6-5  229

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Same feel as last years draft. WR’s with 1st Rd grades going in Rd 2. 

I think it's much stronger. To have guys like Pittman, Surrat, Aiyuk, and Claypool towards the bottom is incredibly strong.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Question?

Does anyone think once the WR’s all are back and healthy next season, it’s not as big a priority as it seems at the moment.

I think the TE position is more pressing. Ebron is not going to be back. 

If you have a healthy TY, Funch, and Campbell.... that's a pretty strong 1-2-3 punch to go along with Doyle and Hines. Can those 3 stay healthy is the question. I don't like Funch long term, so I'd like a quality X, and there are plenty of those that will be available in the 3rd and 4th. If we're trying to replace TY or giving up on Campbell, there's plenty of those too, but I'd go earlier.

As far as TE is concerned, I think Doyle plus MAC is fine. MAC was coming along great last year. His development was severely stunted this year. TEs are also a great position to take in 3rd thru 5th rounds from a performance/value perspective.

• Like 2

I agree that wide receiver isn’t as pressing as it looks currently, but I do think it needs addressed.  Hopefully, we’ll have Hilton, Paris Campbell and Pascal all healthy next year.  I’d like to see us get another receiver either though the draft or free agency.  

Tight end end is something that needs addressed more.  With Ebron gone, it is a must to get a good pass catching tight end.

44 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Question?

Does anyone think once the WR’s all are back and healthy next season, it’s not as big a priority as it seems at the moment.

Because TY is starting to get injured and is at the end of his career I think we need to draft one pretty high. I am ok though not getting a FA. I like the way pascal and Johnson have played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Question?

I think TE is more important for us than WR. Doyle is signed, but he does get nicked up.   Sometimes its a matter of supply and demand.  If the WR position is deep, maybe we can get what we need at with our mid second or mid third.  But to get a TE that is truly multi skilled, I think our high second or mid second is the floor.

And then there's DT.

If we draft a QB, GMs usually like to give them help by also drafting receivers fairly high, so I don't see where drafting a QB in the first really changes our receiver draft strategy. 

If that's the case, DT is going to languish yet another year.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Question?

Those that thought TY would have been worth trading while he had value were not wrong. It is time to Belichek him. He is not worth the risk at $13M. Time to move on.
 So we need new young blood. Likely in rd 2. And maybe a FA. I do like Pascal, Johnson, Fountain as prospects. lol
No doubt TE is an issue.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think TE is more important for us than WR. Doyle is signed, but he does get nicked up.   Sometimes its a matter of supply and demand.  If the WR position is deep, maybe we can get what we need at with our mid second or mid third.  But to get a TE that is truly multi skilled, I think our high second or mid second is the floor.

And then there's DT.

If we draft a QB, GMs usually like to give them help by also drafting receivers fairly high, so I don't see where drafting a QB in the first really changes our receiver draft strategy. 

If that's the case, DT is going to languish yet another year.

There's only 10% difference in hit rate between 2nd and 3rd round TEs. And 3rd through 5th all have similar hit rates. Given well rounded TEs have arguably the 2nd steepest learning curve (QB is first) when transitioning to the NFL, early impact TEs are pretty rare (unless they are limited to receiving and not so much blocking). In short, if you're not going 1st round for TE (which teams rarely do), rounds 3-5 are just fine.

I also doubt the FO sees TE as dire right now (enough to use a second). They just locked up Doyle, and MAC was improving and tracking well last year before his regression (really lack of targets, not his regression) this year. And, probably most important, TE is a devalued position (similar to LB), are are one of the best values in FA. That plus the steep learning curve (longer development) make FA TEs more attractive than drafting an early TE.

In terms of talent, this isn't a great class for top end TE talent anyway. I don't see any TEs projected in the first round. Only 2 that might go in the 2nd, but I'd actually bet on only 1 going mid to late 2nd. Then there are 2-4 that will go 3rd or 4th. There are several hidden gem type that could go 4-6 IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

Question?

I agree, and think we could go TE before we go WR, 'cept for one little thing bugging me, being: The longer TY's issues linger, the more I think of how Marvin's career fizzled out. THAT'S in the back of my mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There's only 10% difference in hit rate between 2nd and 3rd round TEs. And 3rd through 5th all have similar hit rates. Given well rounded TEs have arguably the 2nd steepest learning curve (QB is first) when transitioning to the NFL, early impact TEs are pretty rare (unless they are limited to receiving and not so much blocking). In short, if you're not going 1st round for TE (which teams rarely do), rounds 3-5 are just fine.

I also doubt the FO sees TE as dire right now (enough to use a second). They just locked up Doyle, and MAC was improving and tracking well last year before his regression (really lack of targets, not his regression) this year. And, probably most important, TE is a devalued position (similar to LB), are are one of the best values in FA. That plus the steep learning curve (longer development) make FA TEs more attractive than drafting an early TE.

In terms of talent, this isn't a great class for top end TE talent anyway. I don't see any TEs projected in the first round. Only 2 that might go in the 2nd, but I'd actually bet on only 1 going mid to late 2nd. Then there are 2-4 that will go 3rd or 4th. There are several hidden gem type that could go 4-6 IMO.

That's all you needed to say.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One name I did not see is T J Vasher of Texas Tech, anyone have any thoughts on him?

here ya go

Pros: Vasher prefers to be patient out of his stance and his acceleration and change of speed can be difficult to defend given how quickly he can eat up grass and take away cushion. Pretty refined and crisp footwork in tight spaces allows him to flow past defensive backs. Expanded catch radius due to length throughout his body. Does a great job of getting his frame in a position where he can make adjustments at full extension. Flashes of brilliance when it comes to his body control and ball skills, both at the high point and along the sideline. Can turn 50/50 balls into easy completions at times. Will fall forward through contact, able to gain extra yardage despite lacking quickness or power. Understands positioning as a blocker and getting himself in-between the defender and the ball, forcing them to work through his frame and around his half-man.

Cons: Doesn’t have a ton of vertical speed and isn’t the most nimble or flexible athlete due to his length. There are small pauses when he comes out of breaks, even on simple slant or in-routes. Route tree can be limited by his athletic traits, generally unable to uncover once defensive backs get on his hip. While he works to catch passes while extended, there are cases of drops that bounce right off of his hands.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MPStack said:

Same feel as last years draft. WR’s with 1st Rd grades going in Rd 2. 

This years class is MUCH stronger than last years.   Much.   Even higher quality and much deeper.   

So, for example....  the ‘19 class had just three first rounders...   And right second rounders.    The ‘20 class looks to have six in the first, maybe even more.  Plus 7-8 more in the second.   Crazy good.   Crazy deep. 

• Like 1

Most mocks have 4-6 in the first (I think that 6 might be a little high), 3-4 in the second, 3-4 in the third. There's going to be some very nice prospects left in the 4th and 5th rounds. It's going to be a great year to go early, but probably and even better year to value shop in the middle rounds.

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Because TY is starting to get injured and is at the end of his career I think we need to draft one pretty high. I am ok though not getting a FA. I like the way pascal and Johnson have played.

I'm in agreement with @Chloe6124 on this one.  TY's trend is downward.  I think that WR is a priority in this draft, and not as a WR2.  We need to draft a premier WR1.  TY should still be able to play.  But two years out, I want this next guy to be THE guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm in agreement with @Chloe6124 on this one.  TY's trend is downward.  I think that WR is a priority in this draft, and not as a WR2.  We need to draft a premier WR1.  TY should still be able to play.  But two years out, I want this next guy to be THE guy.

Totally agree, I told co-worker yesterday we should consider a package with TY to trade up.  Whether that be up for a QB or up for one on Raiders picks you know Gruden stills wants his WR.

7 hours ago, Shepman said:

Totally agree, I told co-worker yesterday we should consider a package with TY to trade up.  Whether that be up for a QB or up for one on Raiders picks you know Gruden stills wants his WR.

TY won't fetch a ton given his injury history the last two years. He'd absolutely get a contract from a lot of teams, but teams won't be knocking down the door to give up a 1R pick for him right now. And especially with this year's WR class.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Would you rather have Ruggs or Higgins, i kinda like Ruggs myself he seems catch everything if the ball is close to him

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

Would you rather have Ruggs or Higgins, i kinda like Ruggs myself he seems catch everything if the ball is close to him

All I have heard is their  names. I don’t really follow much college football. I have watched a couple games the last few weeks to watch QB. Other then that I don’t know much about WR.