Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
FirsTime

Big Offseason Questions! Part 1

The Big Questions?  

17 members have voted

  1. 1. What would everyone prefer QB wise this offseason?

    • Draft a developmental QB that will sit a season behind JB
      9
    • Trade the house for a stud in the draft
      1
    • Sign a FA
      0
    • Trade for a Vet QB assuming we can't get a top 15 QB
      0
    • Keep JB for another season and build the team this offseason
      2
    • Extend JB for the long term
      0
    • Bench JB because Luck is coming back
      4
    • Other - Explain in comments
      1
  2. 2. Pick Three. With our first three picks which positions will Ballard draft? Pick three!

    • QB
      15
    • WR
      12
    • TE
      1
    • OT
      2
    • DT
      13
    • DE/Edge rusher
      3
    • DB
      2
    • G/C/LB/RB/K/P
      1
    • A second TE
      0
    • A second WR
      0
    • A second OT
      0
    • A second DE/Edger rusher
      0
    • A second DT
      1
    • Trade down
      1
  3. 3. Which top free agent would you be comfortable paying top dollar for assuming everyone hits the open market!?

    • Jadeveon Clowney 19M+
      0
    • Amari Cooper 17M+
      4
    • Chris Jones 17M+
      8
    • Yannick Ngakoue 16M+
      1
    • Marcus Peters 12M+
      0
    • Austin Hooper 8M+
      1
    • Shaquil Barrett 14M+
      0
    • Dante Fowler Jr.10M+
      2
    • Other - comment with who and how much to spend. Must be over 8M per year
      1


Recommended Posts

Touching base on everyone's quarterback thoughts, early draft needs, and high value free agents.

 

Would love to see where everyone's head is at during this trying time in the season. I have a couple more questions. I will most likely have a part 2 coming out shortly! 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're missing the the option of what will actually happen. 

I do see us drafting a QB in the first, but not selling the farm to do. 

 

Currently we're sitting with the 13th, 36th, 45th, and 77th. That draft capital we have can get us to (approximately):

13+36 = 5th or 6th

13+45 = 6th

13+45+77= 4th

13+36+46= 3rd

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

 

Current draft order

1. Bengals - Burrow

2. Giants - no QB

3. Dolphins - probably Tua

4. Redskins - no QB (good trade partner)

5. Cardinals - no QB (good trade partner)

6. Lions - maybe a QB but I doubt it.

7. Jags - no QB

8. Falcons - no QB

9. Jets - no QB

10. Chargers - likely Herbert if available (only one game difference in W/Ls with Colts)

11. Panthers - maybe a QB (only one game difference, and we play them)

12. Broncos - probably not a QB

13. Colts... 

 

I haven't checked mocks this week, but I have yet to see a mock where Love goes before 13th (most are late 1st or early 2nd). Herbert has gone all over the place, but don't see him going before 6th. In short, we only need to sacrifice one of our second round picks to get one of the top 3 QBs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they have identified what they think can be a franchise guy I have no issues giving up one of those seconds to move up. If three teams ahead of us are eyeing a QB we could lose out on even Love. Love would be perfect for the chargers because he can sit behind Rivers a year. He would be good for the lions also with Stafford. I would not be ok giving up both seconds.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they have identified what they think can be a franchise guy I have no issues giving up one of those seconds to move up. If three teams ahead of us are eyeing a QB we could lose out on even Love. Love would be perfect for the chargers because he can sit behind Rivers a year. 

LAC likes Herbert.

 

But yes, we can easily grab Herbert or Love without giving up much. 

 

And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami didn't draft a QB, and traded back. They have 3 1st round picks. I could see them stacking draft capital and trying to get Lawrence next year since Tua will need to sit a year. If I were them, I'd trade back the first 2 of their 3 1st rounders for picks next year. They have enough draft capital to do whatever they want this year or next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. In order of what I want to happen:

-Luck back(not expecting it to happen),

-farm for stud(only Burrow, not expecting it to happen),

-draft a developmental QB to sit behind Brissett for a year(or start if ready).

 

I'm of the mind that there is no price high enough to pay for your franchise QB and I feel like Burrow has the best chance to be that. In this poll I voted for my most realistic best case scenario - draft a developmental QB. I'm split between Herbert and Love for that one. We might need to still trade up for one of those though, although I don't expect it to cost the farm to get there. 

 

2. Which will Ballard pick? No idea... I would guess a QB and DLine would be among those. I want the 3d to be WR but I'm not sure Ballard thinks the same way. Those were my answers here - QB, WR, DT, although a sneaky position we might need to address one way or another is CB IMO.

 

3. From the list you gave I would give Chris Jones whatever he wants if for some reason the Chiefs let him go. Unfortunately I don't expect any of the premier free agents to hit the market. They will either get extended or franchise tagged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

LAC likes Herbert.

 

But yes, we can easily grab Herbert or Love without giving up much. 

 

And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami didn't draft a QB, and traded back. They have 3 1st round picks. I could see them stacking draft capital and trying to get Lawrence next year since Tua will need to sit a year. If I were them, I'd trade back the first 2 of their 3 1st rounders for picks next year. They have enough draft capital to do whatever they want this year or next. 

Let’s not forget also Miami does have a number one pick on their roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s not forget also Miami does have a number one pick on their roster. 

That's why I suggested they might pass on QB. They have 3 picks in the 1st, and have a ton of holes. If I were them, I'd upgrade both lines with two of those picks. I'd pass on QB, take an OT with the first, DL with the second or trade back, trade back the third (both trade backs for a 1st next year and 2nd this year), and see if Rosen can do something with an improved OL and supporting cast. If not, go all in on Lawrence next year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That's why I suggested they might pass on QB. They have 3 picks in the 1st, and have a ton of holes. If I were them, I'd upgrade both lines with two of those picks. I'd pass on QB, take an OT with the first, DL with the second or trade back, trade back the third (both trade backs for a 1st next year and 2nd this year), and see if Rosen can do something with an improved OL and supporting cast. If not, go all in on Lawrence next year.

 

This would be the best option for them.  If they were patient enough to sit through one more year of being bad they could trade back and push their 1st round picks into next year, rebuild most of their team with young players and grab Lawrence or Fields next year.They would be stacked and ready to take over that division when Brady is gone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esmort said:

 

This would be the best option for them.  If they were patient enough to sit through one more year of being bad they could trade back and push their 1st round picks into next year, rebuild most of their team with young players and grab Lawrence or Fields next year.They would be stacked and ready to take over that division when Brady is gone. 

They are in a rare position with all the draft capital. They can do basically whatever they want this year and next. If they do things right, they could be a very different team in 2021. And I'm not sure I'd bank everything on Tua with their early pick. I'd much rather have Lawrence next year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They are in a rare position with all the draft capital. They can do basically whatever they want this year and next. If they do things right, they could be a very different team in 2021. And I'm not sure I'd bank everything on Tua with their early pick. I'd much rather have Lawrence next year. 

 

Definitely wouldn't be banking on Tua (im not really a Tua fan even without the injury), but if were Miami and he fell far enough (and into my lap) I might be tempted to gamble and take him with the intention of sitting him for a year then makeing him #2 behind Lawrence or using him as trade bait. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, esmort said:

 

Definitely wouldn't be banking on Tua (im not really a Tua fan even without the injury), but if were Miami and he fell far enough (and into my lap) I might be tempted to gamble and take him with the intention of sitting him for a year then makeing him #2 behind Lawrence or using him as trade bait. 

I wouldn't draft him at all if I was planning to draft Lawrence, unless I intended to trade him from the start to get Lawrence. 

 

He'd definitely be a good investment/risk to take late 1st or early second. If you're a team that can afford to wait, and OK with the injury risk... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I still have a hard time believing this. Rest in peace Kobe. Prayers for Kobe's and the other victim's families of this awful tragedy.
    • Any one else catch the parts about Chad Kelly. About how he has to show them they can trust him off the field? I’m not pushing for Chad Kelly as our next Qb, but I found that part interesting. Almost makes me wonder IF he’s not gonna get his shot at the starting job regardless of FA or the Draft results.
    • Burrow was not thought of this highly early(when Ballard was rumored to like Herbert and Love). It was kind of an avalanche that was gaining more and more mass and power the more games got played. I don't think it was until November-December that people started talking about Burrow as a no. 1 pick. He just never had that body of work before this year and a lot of his most impressive games and against best opponents were at the end of the year.        I've heard Brady thrown around, but no idea if there is anything real behind those rumors. The rumors say that they are having hard time attracting any fans to their games and their owners think getting a legend like Brady to play for several years for them might jump start their new fanbase in LA. No idea whether to believe this or not. 
    • To me being a boom or bust is kind of a plus for a QB, because the worst you can be is mediocre once that rookie contract comes to an end. I would prefer for whoever we draft to be either great or horrible and for us to know relatively quickly so we can either invest in him or move on quickly. This is part of the appeal with Love for me. The things he needs to improve are heavily coaching based and I think we will have a good idea of where on the spectrum he will end up pretty quickly. For example - if you draft him and he's not ready to start by year 2, this is a red flag and you might start looking for another one. If 2 off-seasons and 1 in-season period are not enough for your coaching staff to get him ready you either have made a mistake with the draft pick or with your coaching staff and I do have good trust in the coaching staff so... 
    • For me the tiers are more important the the specific ranking... I rank players within a tier very similarly and even though I would have preferences within them, I don't feel strongly enough to argue one over the other.    Tier 1(sell the farm for him - i.e. multiple 1sts, multiple day 2 picks, etc) Burrow   Tier 2 (trade a significant asset for him - i.e. a future 1st round pick) Tua(if I have medical guarantees he'd be alright health-wise)   Tier 3 (trade a medium level asset for him(i.e. a second, a third...) or take him at #13) Love Herbert Tua(if our medical staff cannot give you any guarantees whatsoever either way -for example, there were some reports that it might be too early before the draft to tell whether he will be good or not)   Tier 4 (second round) Eason Fromm     Tier 5 (third-fourth round) Gordon(have to do more work on him, might change his ranking) Hurts   Tier 6 (round 5-7) Tua(if the medicals come bad and there is high risk of reinjury/retirement/not full recovery/etc.) Tyler Huntley Nate Stanley     I'm still watching some QBs so that's not my final ranking. 
  • Members

    • MikeCurtis

      MikeCurtis 1,742

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bWild

      bWild 57

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 329

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pacolts56

      pacolts56 3,713

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 1,047

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • mirobi48

      mirobi48 34

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt.45

      Colt.45 87

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Kirie89

      Kirie89 22

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • indykmj

      indykmj 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 6,920

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...