Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Offseason Questions! Part 1

The Big Questions?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What would everyone prefer QB wise this offseason?

• Draft a developmental QB that will sit a season behind JB
    • Trade the house for a stud in the draft
    • Sign a FA
    • Trade for a Vet QB assuming we can't get a top 15 QB
    • Keep JB for another season and build the team this offseason
    • Extend JB for the long term
    • Bench JB because Luck is coming back
    • Other - Explain in comments
  2. 2. Pick Three. With our first three picks which positions will Ballard draft? Pick three!

• QB
    • WR
    • TE
    • OT
    • DT
    • DE/Edge rusher
    • DB
    • G/C/LB/RB/K/P
    • A second TE
    • A second WR
    • A second OT
    • A second DE/Edger rusher
    • A second DT
    • Trade down
  3. 3. Which top free agent would you be comfortable paying top dollar for assuming everyone hits the open market!?

• Jadeveon Clowney 19M+
    • Amari Cooper 17M+
    • Chris Jones 17M+
    • Yannick Ngakoue 16M+
    • Marcus Peters 12M+
    • Austin Hooper 8M+
    • Shaquil Barrett 14M+
    • Dante Fowler Jr.10M+
    • Other - comment with who and how much to spend. Must be over 8M per year

Touching base on everyone's quarterback thoughts, early draft needs, and high value free agents.

Would love to see where everyone's head is at during this trying time in the season. I have a couple more questions. I will most likely have a part 2 coming out shortly! 

I think you're missing the the option of what will actually happen. 

I do see us drafting a QB in the first, but not selling the farm to do. 

Currently we're sitting with the 13th, 36th, 45th, and 77th. That draft capital we have can get us to (approximately):

13+36 = 5th or 6th

13+45 = 6th

13+45+77= 4th

13+36+46= 3rd

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

Current draft order

1. Bengals - Burrow

2. Giants - no QB

3. Dolphins - probably Tua

4. Redskins - no QB (good trade partner)

5. Cardinals - no QB (good trade partner)

6. Lions - maybe a QB but I doubt it.

7. Jags - no QB

8. Falcons - no QB

9. Jets - no QB

10. Chargers - likely Herbert if available (only one game difference in W/Ls with Colts)

11. Panthers - maybe a QB (only one game difference, and we play them)

12. Broncos - probably not a QB

13. Colts... 

I haven't checked mocks this week, but I have yet to see a mock where Love goes before 13th (most are late 1st or early 2nd). Herbert has gone all over the place, but don't see him going before 6th. In short, we only need to sacrifice one of our second round picks to get one of the top 3 QBs.

• Like 1

If they have identified what they think can be a franchise guy I have no issues giving up one of those seconds to move up. If three teams ahead of us are eyeing a QB we could lose out on even Love. Love would be perfect for the chargers because he can sit behind Rivers a year. He would be good for the lions also with Stafford. I would not be ok giving up both seconds.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they have identified what they think can be a franchise guy I have no issues giving up one of those seconds to move up. If three teams ahead of us are eyeing a QB we could lose out on even Love. Love would be perfect for the chargers because he can sit behind Rivers a year. 

LAC likes Herbert.

But yes, we can easily grab Herbert or Love without giving up much. 

And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami didn't draft a QB, and traded back. They have 3 1st round picks. I could see them stacking draft capital and trying to get Lawrence next year since Tua will need to sit a year. If I were them, I'd trade back the first 2 of their 3 1st rounders for picks next year. They have enough draft capital to do whatever they want this year or next. 

1. In order of what I want to happen:

-Luck back(not expecting it to happen),

-farm for stud(only Burrow, not expecting it to happen),

-draft a developmental QB to sit behind Brissett for a year(or start if ready).

I'm of the mind that there is no price high enough to pay for your franchise QB and I feel like Burrow has the best chance to be that. In this poll I voted for my most realistic best case scenario - draft a developmental QB. I'm split between Herbert and Love for that one. We might need to still trade up for one of those though, although I don't expect it to cost the farm to get there. 

2. Which will Ballard pick? No idea... I would guess a QB and DLine would be among those. I want the 3d to be WR but I'm not sure Ballard thinks the same way. Those were my answers here - QB, WR, DT, although a sneaky position we might need to address one way or another is CB IMO.

3. From the list you gave I would give Chris Jones whatever he wants if for some reason the Chiefs let him go. Unfortunately I don't expect any of the premier free agents to hit the market. They will either get extended or franchise tagged. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

LAC likes Herbert.

But yes, we can easily grab Herbert or Love without giving up much. 

And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami didn't draft a QB, and traded back. They have 3 1st round picks. I could see them stacking draft capital and trying to get Lawrence next year since Tua will need to sit a year. If I were them, I'd trade back the first 2 of their 3 1st rounders for picks next year. They have enough draft capital to do whatever they want this year or next. 

Let’s not forget also Miami does have a number one pick on their roster. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s not forget also Miami does have a number one pick on their roster. 

That's why I suggested they might pass on QB. They have 3 picks in the 1st, and have a ton of holes. If I were them, I'd upgrade both lines with two of those picks. I'd pass on QB, take an OT with the first, DL with the second or trade back, trade back the third (both trade backs for a 1st next year and 2nd this year), and see if Rosen can do something with an improved OL and supporting cast. If not, go all in on Lawrence next year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That's why I suggested they might pass on QB. They have 3 picks in the 1st, and have a ton of holes. If I were them, I'd upgrade both lines with two of those picks. I'd pass on QB, take an OT with the first, DL with the second or trade back, trade back the third (both trade backs for a 1st next year and 2nd this year), and see if Rosen can do something with an improved OL and supporting cast. If not, go all in on Lawrence next year.

This would be the best option for them.  If they were patient enough to sit through one more year of being bad they could trade back and push their 1st round picks into next year, rebuild most of their team with young players and grab Lawrence or Fields next year.They would be stacked and ready to take over that division when Brady is gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esmort said:

This would be the best option for them.  If they were patient enough to sit through one more year of being bad they could trade back and push their 1st round picks into next year, rebuild most of their team with young players and grab Lawrence or Fields next year.They would be stacked and ready to take over that division when Brady is gone. 

They are in a rare position with all the draft capital. They can do basically whatever they want this year and next. If they do things right, they could be a very different team in 2021. And I'm not sure I'd bank everything on Tua with their early pick. I'd much rather have Lawrence next year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They are in a rare position with all the draft capital. They can do basically whatever they want this year and next. If they do things right, they could be a very different team in 2021. And I'm not sure I'd bank everything on Tua with their early pick. I'd much rather have Lawrence next year. 

Definitely wouldn't be banking on Tua (im not really a Tua fan even without the injury), but if were Miami and he fell far enough (and into my lap) I might be tempted to gamble and take him with the intention of sitting him for a year then makeing him #2 behind Lawrence or using him as trade bait. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, esmort said:

Definitely wouldn't be banking on Tua (im not really a Tua fan even without the injury), but if were Miami and he fell far enough (and into my lap) I might be tempted to gamble and take him with the intention of sitting him for a year then makeing him #2 behind Lawrence or using him as trade bait. 

I wouldn't draft him at all if I was planning to draft Lawrence, unless I intended to trade him from the start to get Lawrence. 

He'd definitely be a good investment/risk to take late 1st or early second. If you're a team that can afford to wait, and OK with the injury risk...