Indianapolis Colts

So I’ve been curious about the draft and the idea of drafting a QB.

I know that I am a known JB supporter and totally believe that given a healthy set of weapons he could be above average QB. 

Back to my what if. A lot of people really like Jordan Love, Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm. What if they go back to school and we can’t get/Ballard doesn’t like Burrow, Herbert and Tua?

Love is rumored to be considering transferring to Oklahoma (who could blame him). Fromm has not had a great year and seems to love Georgia. Eason could want another year to show he is a 1st round talent. 

So my question is what would you like the Colts to do?  Still draft a QB like Hurts in the 2nd-3rd round or draft a developmental QB like Kellen Mond in the later Rounds and go heavy on improving the weapons for Jacoby and possibly draft a QB next year.

That class would have Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Jordan Love, Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, JT Daniels. 

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I’ve been curious about the draft and the idea of drafting a QB.

I know that I am a known JB supporter and totally believe that given a healthy set of weapons he could be above average QB. 

Back to my what if. A lot of people really like Jordan Love, Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm. What if they go back to school and we can’t get/Ballard doesn’t like Burrow, Herbert and Tua?

Love is rumored to be considering transferring to Oklahoma (who could blame him). Fromm has not had a great year and seems to love Georgia. Eason could want another year to show he is a 1st round talent. 

So my question is what would you like the Colts to do?  Still draft a QB like Hurts in the 2nd-3rd round or draft a developmental QB like Kellen Mond in the later Rounds and go heavy on improving the weapons for Jacoby and possibly draft a QB next year.

That class would have Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Jordan Love, Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, JT Daniels. 

Thoughts?

IF none of them come out then we take positions such as DT or guard and wait until next year to take a quarterback. I think no matter which QB we would draft Jacoby is still the starter Week 1 2020 and if they take a QB they will be sitting and learning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, twfish said:

IF none of them come out then we take positions such as DT or guard and wait until next year to take a quarterback. I think no matter which QB we would draft Jacoby is still the starter Week 1 2020 and if they take a QB they will be sitting and learning.

So if we did this: 2 things-

1. Does this forum explode because JB is unquestioned starter next year? 

2. Can JB do anything that would change everyone’s mind and be the long term answer at QB?

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So if we did this: 2 things-

1. Does this forum explode because JB is unquestioned starter next year? 

2. Can JB do anything that would change everyone’s mind and be the long term answer at QB?

I think the general consensus is if Love was drafted by us he will need to sit a year so I don't believe the forum will explode until after Brissetts second bad game lol. 

I don't believe so. I have for sure and many others have seen enough film of him to have a good idea of what he is.

You only draft a QB if you can get your hands to a QB you like. You don't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one. If the ones you like don't declare or get taken before you, you go and draft best value available at other positions. Keep building up the team. 

• Like 5

I will say that I do trust Ballard and Reich when it comes to this. 

if they feel that drafting Love, Eason or Hurts early is the best option then okay. 

if they feel that JB is good and they don’t see a QB they like, so they don’t draft one high. I’m good. 

I think that Love will do what others have done...... go to the "experts" and ask where he will be drafted.

I believe that he will be told that he will probably be a late first round pick. 

Do you go BACK to another year in college if you have a first round grade?

I dont think so.......

If he transfers and has another subpar year, or gets hurt...... he would drop further

I bet he takes the $$

37 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think that Love will do what others have done...... go to the "experts" and ask where he will be drafted.

I believe that he will be told that he will probably be a late first round pick. 

I dont think so.......

If he transfers and has another subpar year, or gets hurt...... he would drop further

I bet he takes the $$

I don’t know a lot about the draft. I did learn a lot from people on here the last draft. How do experts find figure out where a QB will be drafted. Do they actually talk to teams or is it just a guess? 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think so.......

I bet he takes the $$

I agree.  Why risk it if you do get a first round grade.  Bet on yourself to have a great combine and pro day. 

16 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I like him. I think his upside is Stafford but his downsize is a Kyle Boller. I wouldn’t mind him in the second round. 

I bet he stays in school. I bet Fromm stays in school also. That might up Love’s draft stock.

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I bet he stays in school. I bet Fromm stays in school also. That might up Love’s draft stock.

The only reason I do believe he comes out is the his coach Chris Peterson resigned. He was an amazing offensive mind. Eason probably doesn’t want to learn a new offense and risk hurting his draft stick. 

• Like 2

It’s going to be a interesting draft. I still don’t put it passed ballard to just try and build a better team and see what a offseason  and getting better weapons can do for Jacoby.  To be fair a lot of weird things have happened this year.  We aren’t getting blown out. We have had good leads. He might feel getting a stud defensive player and a WR might be the best route to take then drafting a QB high. I do think they will give Kelly a chance in the jags game to see if he might be a candidate for the backup job. If he can earn the backup job that will create competition with Jacoby. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, twfish said:

Why does the QB have to sit and learn all he as to do is watch this year season and figure it out pretty quick. Dont do what JB does.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be a interesting draft. I still don’t put it passed ballard to just try and build a better team and see what a offseason  and getting better weapons can do for Jacoby.  To be fair a lot of weird things have happened this year.  We aren’t getting blown out. We have had good leads. He might feel getting a stud defensive player and a WR might be the best route to take then drafting a QB high. I do think they will give Kelly a chance in the jags game to see if he might be a candidate for the backup job. If he can earn the backup job that will create competition with Jacoby. 

This happened again under his watch remember his first year when Jacoby was the QB Colts would have a lead at the half and then all of a sudden loss it.

I’ve been wanting to say this for a while now. This team isn’t complete, we still have some pretty big holes. If we get a QB now, we may never fill those holes and sit in purgatory for a while, never picking high enough to get better talent, but also not quite making a super bowl run. I say, no matter what, this year we fix our issues at WR, DT, and EDGE, while also grabbing more help in the secondary. Whichever of these we don’t get in this draft, we go for in the second round in 2021, while getting our QB round one. Everyone is always complaining about our issues at these positions, yet nobody wants to do anything other than get a QB and go right back to being a first round exit!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There’s just so many ways this could go. We could pick up a free agent QB if we really don’t like what Brissett brings to the table, and then draft game-changing positional players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What do you guys think of Eason. His tape looks pretty good with nice touch. 

I’ve been keeping an eye on him this year. He has a lot of tangibles that are good, and looks to be NFL ready. That said, some believe he is another game manager. He indeed takes a lot of calculated risks, although from what I can tell he does at least sling the ball downfield a few times per game. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

This happened again under his watch remember his first year when Jacoby was the QB Colts would have a lead at the half and then all of a sudden loss it.

Yes I understand that. I think the defense this year is just as responsible for the 4th collapses as the offense has been. They have stunk in 4th quarters the last few games. I also don’t know how much of Jacobys knee issue has contributed to his accuracy issues the last few games. He wasn’t this inaccurate at the beginning of the season. Just thinking ballard might decide to get better players around him. It’s been a weird season with all the injuries and drama to start the season.  Carson Wentz has had a lot of injuries to WR this season and is having accuracy issues. I just think there is a chance ballard decides not to get a QB high.

59 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I’ve been wanting to say this for a while now. This team isn’t complete, we still have some pretty big holes. If we get a QB now, we may never fill those holes and sit in purgatory for a while, never picking high enough to get better talent, but also not quite making a super bowl run. I say, no matter what, this year we fix our issues at WR, DT, and EDGE, while also grabbing more help in the secondary. Whichever of these we don’t get in this draft, we go for in the second round in 2021, while getting our QB round one. Everyone is always complaining about our issues at these positions, yet nobody wants to do anything other than get a QB and go right back to being a first round exit!

This is a great point. Wouldn’t you want to give a young QB the best team possible. By waiting a year we get some of these issues corrected and give a young QB the best chance possible to succeed. Maybe we are surprised and Jacoby actually takes a big step next season. Who knows he could with upgraded weapons and everyone staying healthy. We are going to be in a great position to get a stud this year on defense we might otherwise not be in position to get. I don’t know how ballard passes that up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What do you guys think of Eason. His tape looks pretty good with nice touch. 

He has some significant holes

I see a 3rd round pick

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

He has some significant holes

I see a 3rd round pick

What would those be?

59 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

We DO have more than one pick...... right?

We could end up with a QB to develop as well as a DL and even a WR that could play on this team.......

We will have a VERY tough time winning 2 of the next 4 games........ 

We may very well lose 3 of 4

That would leave us 7-9......  Probably making us draft, 12th

We could have 3 picks in top 45 picks, 

Four picks in top 75 or so.......

We will be ok........

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What would those be?

Have you seen him play?  

I see average ........ I dont see anything special

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Have you seen him play?  

I see average ........ I dont see anything special

I have watched a couple highlight videos but that’s it. What are his  weaknesses. Yo can’t just say average and not state what they are. I was asking a serious question because I don’t know.

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We could end up with a QB to develop as well as a DL and even a WR that could play on this team.......

We will be ok........

If we could get A guy like Kinlaw in the first and then a QB with the WA pick that would be a perfect scenario. I just don’t see a QB we would want left at that point. The question is do they pass on a QB in the first or draft a stud DT. We might not be in that same position again to get a defensive player that good. So maybe they decide to pass on a QB and take a risk love might still be there in the second.

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We will be ok........

I can agree with that. The big point I’m trying to make is that we still need to fill holes for our next QB. We can’t just throw a rookie out there with TY and maybe Doyle as his only real options. If we get a more talented defense and a bit of help outside on offense I’d be much more comfortable with a rookie QB. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we could get A guy like Kinlaw in the first and then a QB with the WA pick that would be a perfect scenario. I just don’t see a QB we would want left at that point. The question is do they pass on a QB in the first or draft a stud DT. We might not be in that same position again to get a defensive player that good. So maybe they decide to pass on a QB and take a risk love might still be there in the second.

Or they could trade back into the 1st.  Probably not likely but it's an option. 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Didn’t the ravens do they with Lamar?

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I actually think that this could be realistic

Lets say we draft at 12.

There may be someone at 20ish wanting to move up.  We could get some additional draft capitol and still get Love at 20.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I actually think that this could be realistic

Lets say we draft at 12.

There may be someone at 20ish wanting to move up.  We could get some additional draft capitol and still get Love at 20.

I don’t think they are going to pass if there is  a difference maker on defense at 12. What they could do is trade the second round Washington pick with maybe a third with a team who wants to move to the second and get more picks. So we could move up to say 25 and give away a couple other picks. That gives us two first records picks and gives you the fifth year option on a QB.

• Like 1