Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri goes on IR

chad72

He has nothing to prove at this point if he does choose to retire. However, if he chooses to still play, it will be with some other team. 

He can hold his head high for all that he has done with his career!!! HOF kicker and thanks for everything he did for the Colts!!!

• Like 2

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

That’s my thinking as well. Chase did well.

I don’t think he retires tho

You may be right since he did opt to have surgery.  I don't think anyone will give him a contract.  I'd hate to see him sign a contract somewhere only to lose a kicking competition in training camp.  

Kind of makes you think.  He finally opts for surgery as does Ebron.  Both apparently trying to play through injury and the team letting them try.  At the end they both had to opt for surgery.  They both remind me of the old school players.  Refusing to quit unless finally forced to.  Wish them both a speedy recovery.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

You may be right since he did opt to have surgery.  I don't think anyone will give him a contract.  I'd hate to see him sign a contract somewhere only to lose a kicking competition in training camp.  

Wouldn't hurt his image or legacy one bit.  Who remembers, or mentio s Jerry rice flailing around with the Broncos or Seahawks and flaming out at nine hundred years old when they talk about the greatest WRs of all time?  No one....  A.V. will always be a legend, well ...as much of a legend a placekicker can be...

Watch him come back next season to kick one single time for the 600...

Seriously though, no player scored more points then him and there's no one even close. He's the best and the clutchest to ever kick a ball in the history of the universe. Maybe even better than Pelé, and this is a brazilian speaking.

Wish a happy life for the old, but still young man.

44 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

That’s my thinking as well. Chase did well.

I don’t think he retires tho

I do. There were reports a year ago after the season ended that he was contemplating it. My guess is he saw what we did and thought, like most of us, that’d we’d be a contender for the title this year and wanted one last run of it. He won’t relocate his kids and wife to go play elsewhere for a year

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I do. There were reports a year ago after the season ended that he was contemplating it. My guess is he saw what we did and thought, like most of us, that’d we’d be a contender for the title this year and wanted one last run of it. He won’t relocate his kids and wife to go play elsewhere for a year

Until he announces I‘ll have my doubt. Especially with 600 sitting out there

Bummer.  Sad that his last couple of kicks were blocked - not that it's necessarily his fault.  But who wants to go out on that end note?  Still, Vinatieri could have missed every kick this season and still gone down as the greatest of all time.  I don't care what position you play in the NFL, to been a top tier player at your position until he was almost 47, even despite his 2019 season, speaks volumes.  Great player and even better teammate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Bummer.  Sad that his last couple of kicks were blocked - not that it's necessarily his fault.  But who wants to go out on that end note?  Still, Vinatieri could have missed every kick this season and still gone down as the greatest of all time.  I don't care what position you play in the NFL, to been a top tier player at your position until he was almost 47, even despite his 2019 season, speaks volumes.  Great player and even better teammate.  

Couldn't agree more.

I've been a lot more disheartened by some of our fans, and their comments, than I could ever have been of him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Couldn't agree more.

I've been a lot more disheartened by some of our fans, and their comments, than I could ever have been of him. 

To me, it is a lack of perspective. Even with under performing employees, employers show some patience to see if there is a turnaround somewhere, especially if those employees have shown them how well they can do in the past, thus having earned that leeway.

But, based on several comments on this forum, all they want to remember is the few dirty spots on a mostly clean canvas that has survived for 20 years maintaining its value, and that is disheartening. Patience is not a virtue of the current times. 

When Adam retires, he will cherish the goodwill and patience of Reich, Ballard and Irsay that they showed over any knee-jerk tendencies exhibited by fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

Couldn't agree more.

I've been a lot more disheartened by some of our fans, and their comments, than I could ever haven been of him. 

It's definitely been a sticking point for many.  Even I found my faith in him waiver when he set up for a field goal.  He probably should have retired after last season, but he's been such a great kicker that I always said that we should keep him until he proves he can no play at a high level.  I felt the same way about Frank Gore.

2019 is the sort of season you get when you keep an all time great until he turns too old right before your eyes.  I'm okay with that.  

I hope he retires a Colt and I would even be more than happy to sign him to a one year deal just to get him the one field goal.  I doubt that happens, but I hope it does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, it is a lack of perspective. Even with under performing employees, employers show some patience to see if there is a turnaround somewhere, especially if those employees have shown them how well they can do in the past, thus having earned that leeway.

But, based on several comments on this forum, all they want to remember is the few dirty spots on a mostly clean canvas that has survived for 20 years maintaining its value, and that is disheartening. Patience is not a virtue of the current times. 

Could you imagine if everyone got fired the moment they turn in a week or two of poor performance?  How many people on this very forum would be fired?  We've all had a few conversations that just got under our skin and we reacted in a regretful way. 

It normally doesn't happen to most of the mainstays around here and its easy ot ignore the typical troll nincompoopery, but it still happens once in a blue moon.  It doesn't negate the 99% of the well intended and positive conversation that the person typically engages in.

Vinny is a legend and one low season can't change that. Not the best way to say goodbye to the game, but he gave us a lot of worry free years and he will always be appreciated by most fans. 

Hell, I wouldn't mind it if we got him back as a coach in a while.