Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
chad72

3-618-1 when giving up 35 points and 4 turnovers

Recommended Posts

That is the W-L-T record for teams when giving up 35 points and 4 turnovers. That is what the Bucs managed to do yesterday. 

 

There were several bright spots with our aggressiveness on O and D that happened in spurts but we just did not have the play makers to close it out on O or D, that was the true difference, IMO. Freeney and Mathis are not walking through that door to help us while we are up 35-21 to put games away but we needed to find a way to make plays and couldn't. Probably Kenny Moore not playing was bigger than I thought it would be for us.

 

Just got to keep fighting and keep playing. Time for more playing time for a few players we want to evaluate. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is the W-L-T record for teams when giving up 35 points and 4 turnovers. That is what the Bucs managed to do yesterday. 

 

There were several bright spots with our aggressiveness on O and D that happened in spurts but we just did not have the play makers to close it out on O or D, that was the true difference, IMO. Freeney and Mathis are not walking through that door to help us while we are up 35-21 to put games away but we needed to find a way to make plays and couldn't. Probably Kenny Moore not playing was bigger than I thought it would be for us.

 

Just got to keep fighting and keep playing. Time for more playing time for a few players we want to evaluate. 

That's depressing.  Thanks Chad72 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is the W-L-T record for teams when giving up 35 points and 4 turnovers. That is what the Bucs managed to do yesterday. 

 

There were several bright spots with our aggressiveness on O and D that happened in spurts but we just did not have the play makers to close it out on O or D, that was the true difference, IMO. Freeney and Mathis are not walking through that door to help us while we are up 35-21 to put games away but we needed to find a way to make plays and couldn't. Probably Kenny Moore not playing was bigger than I thought it would be for us.

 

Just got to keep fighting and keep playing. Time for more playing time for a few players we want to evaluate. 

I mostly agree, although I think it was more the coaching on O and D.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 
Washington at Detroit (1990)
Buffalo at Indiana (1997)
Indiana at Kansas City (2013) 
we’re the other instances 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the thing about this stat. If Jameis isn't an all timer at turning the ball over, the Colts offense left to it's own devices would have scored something like drumroll... 17 points. The Colts two big issues were exposed yesterday, they're not a serious threat to score the ball when they have it and the secondary gives up big plays.

 

It was a weird game and one I look forward to forgetting. Frankly this season is going to exist with 17' as one I don't really remember unless I force myself. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Here's the thing about this stat. If Jameis isn't an all timer at turning the ball over, the Colts offense left to it's own devices would have scored something like drumroll... 17 points. The Colts two big issues were exposed yesterday, they're not a serious threat to score the ball when they have it and the secondary gives up big plays.

 

It was a weird game and one I look forward to forgetting. Frankly this season is going to exist with 17' as one I don't really remember unless I force myself. 

I agree and you have to believe the coaches with all of the so called analytics,have to know this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a matter of how you want to build a team.  If you want to win a shootout, then we'll need a franchise Qb who's selected very high.

 

Like Jameis Winston.

 

If we can't find that Qb, or he turns out not to be that guy, like Jameis Winston, then we'd have to win football games by holding the opponent to 21 points or less.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its a matter of how you want to build a team.  If you want to win a shootout, then we'll need a franchise Qb who's selected very high.

 

Like Jameis Winston.

 

If we can't find that Qb, or he turns out not to be that guy, like Jameis Winston, then we'd have to win football games by holding the opponent to 21 points or less.

 

 

You also need a good running game to complement the QB, something we seem to have in place against Ds that are susceptible vs the run. But when we run into a D stout vs the run, like the Bucs and pretty soon Saints, we will have to air it out and we need a QB capable of managing the game when the run game is going while also being able to make plays in the passing game when a game calls upon him to throw 40 times. 

 

Winston is actually better than I thought he'd be, and unfortunately for him, Arians is the wrong coach that does not enable him to spread it around to TEs and RBs as much by the very nature of his offense, IMO. So Winston's weaknesses could be amplified the longer he is in Arians' system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

You also need a good running game to complement the QB, something we seem to have in place against Ds that are susceptible vs the run. But when we run into a D stout vs the run, like the Bucs and pretty soon Saints, we will have to air it out and we need a QB capable of managing the game when the run game is going while also being able to make plays in the passing game when a game calls upon him to throw 40 times. 

 

Winston is actually better than I thought he'd be, and unfortunately for him, Arians is the wrong coach that does not enable him to spread it around to TEs and RBs as much by the very nature of his offense, IMO. So Winston's weaknesses could be amplified the longer he is in Arians' system.

We don't need any particular system.  We need to score more points than the opponent.

 

Part of the reason some teams score so much is that the opponent gives them the ball with a short field, via pick or a 3 and out.

 

Even NO would score less if they had to drive the field every time, which is what happens if you can get a couple of first downs, then punt.  A turnover or a 3 and out from the 25 is a very bad play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@chad72

Great post by you and perfect complement to the historical reality of the 2019 season.

 

I’ll always remember this as the Colts team that played its way through the adversity of losing its franchise player preseason into the driver’s seat for the division and top 3 playoff seed, only to invent a new method to squander it weekly by melting down against the weakest part of the schedule...

 

I believe fans of teams mired in perpetual mediocrity are familiar with the above scenario...but it’s still new here in Indy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are conditioned to a Colts offense in the Manning and Luck era that had the ability to score and mount comebacks. That version of past Colts offenses no longer exists.  JB is not Manning or Luck and frankly outside of having a superior offensive line than the one that existed for Luck, the players at the skill positions have been average at best - with the sole exception of TY. Manning had James, Rhodes, Addai, Harrison, Reggie, Clark, Dilger, Pollard. 

 

Luck lacked the weapons that Manning had but he was an exceptional talent that made a bad team decent and a good team great. 

 

JB has an average offense outside of the O-Line which is above average and occasionally great. hHs running backs have played well but he has no real receivers of top tier talent outside of TY. As a result, the offense is not consistent and struggles to score consistently.  If JB had better receiving threats perhaps the results would be different. Clearly if we had vintage Vinitari as a kicker we would be a playoff  contender.  Perhaps if JB had a far better set of receiving weapons to use and if he had a more consistent FG kicker things would be far different. Then again, perhaps JB is at best a serviceable QB but not a QB who will put fear into defenses and a Super Bowl caliber QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Looks like 
Washington at Detroit (1990)
Buffalo at Indiana (1997)
Indiana at Kansas City (2013) 
we’re the other instances 

:colts:Yeah baby we rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...