Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It’s been a long season...

Zoltan

After another loss, I was thinking man the team is bad.

but then I remembered it was only a couple months ago that Andrew Luck was our QB. It’s easy to forget that we have been playing our backup QB all year and with all the injuries we have had from multiple WRs to Kemoko Turay.

with this perspective I think it is amazing that we are doing this well, and look forward to what the front office does this off season.

• Like 1

We aren’t that bad. Despite everything we have had leads in the fourth quarter. It’s not like we don’t have the talent to compete. If we didn’t have talent we would not be in every game. Just a lot of weird things this season. Everything went wrong. 

Get a few things cleaned up and draft the right way we will be fine. If this defense improved just a little a young QB should have success if we draft the right one. 

I was kind of down on Herbert but looking back at some other videos if he fell to us I think he is a QB that could come in and play very well right away. He is very mature with 4 years of college. 

We will have to high second round picks in the draft. We will be just fine. Our second round pick now will be not that farther down then the redskins pick in the second.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

After another loss, I was thinking man the team is bad.

but then I remembered it was only a couple months ago that Andrew Luck was our QB. It’s easy to forget that we have been playing our backup QB all year and with all the injuries we have had from multiple WRs to Kemoko Turay.

with this perspective I think it is amazing that we are doing this well, and look forward to what the front office does this off season.

Well, I have not thought the team was bad since Ballard got a year under his belt and hired his own coach. They have had struggles...as any rebuilding does, but the Colts also lost their schemed for QB. Every team gets injuries, but the positions that the Colts have lost to injury are particularly important to the development of a new QB.

Let's just think about what if......

What if the Colts take a high draft pick at QB next year....and the guy faces what JB had to face in the two years he has been a starter. Few would get through and remain as a starter, unaffected career wise by the losses, the scrutiny, and the pressure. Verrrrrry few. Thank the stars that the Colts have a QB that is as tough as Jacoby Brissett is. He is double tough. I would take his toughness against ANY QB coming out in the draft. He may not be that guy, but he is the right guy right now.....and for the forseeable future, until that guy becomes a possibility. Just because there is  a few QB's slotted to go high in the draft, doesn't mean it is the right year to snag one. 

In the meantime, keep adding pieces, and manage the cap. When the Colts name is called in the draft, I want them to take the player that they see is a franchise player....regardless of the position. If that is a QB, so be it. But let's not become a struggling franchise that passes on a golden player to grasp for a QB.

• Like 2

I thought we’d go 8-8 or 9-7 with JB, the rooks, turmoil of losing a franchise QB.

we’re not that far off, even with all the injuries.  Which were many.

I was hoping we’d squeak in the playoffs.

I also thought Frank wanted an offense that put pressure on the D.  I really didnt see the creativity i did last year.  Not gimmicks, But creativity in formations and playcalling.  Perhaps it was due to our losses at WR and TE.  I also was confused by our bi-polar personality when it comes to risk and being aggressive.

I dont think the sky is falling (long-term), but some changes, and perhaps tweaks, are necessary.

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I thought we’d go 8-8 or 9-7 with JB, the rooks, turmoil of losing a franchise QB.

we’re not that far off, even with all the injuries.  Which were many.

I was hoping we’d squeak in the playoffs.

I also thought Frank wanted an offense that put pressure on the D.  I really didnt see the creativity i did last year.  Not gimmicks, But creativity in formations and playcalling.  Perhaps it was due to our losses at WR and TE.  I also was confused by our bi-polar personality when it comes to risk and being aggressive.

I dont think the sky is falling (long-term), but some changes, and perhaps tweaks, are necessary.

I agree with this.  I thought anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 was likely, once we got the Luck retirement news.  That's exactly where we're looking to finish.  The thing that sucks is that we started so hot it looked like we were going to exceed those expectations.  At the start of the season I don't think many thought we would end up with a much better record than we're on pace for now.  Everybody just needs to breathe.

When you consider that we shouldn't have lost to the LAC, kicking woes. And we played a journeyman back-up (who played up to his talent level and reminded us all why he was a back-up) against Pitt and Miami. And have been without our leading receiver, our second round draft pick (also a receiver), our top FA signing (also a WR) for most of the season, I'd say our offense has been exactly what it should have been, run heavy, in a pass happy league. Throw in our kicking issues and I'm surprised we're 6-7. We could EASILY be 8-5 or even 9-4.

I don't know if JB is the answer at QB. He has some deficiencies, but he hasn't had a lot to work with at times. When your O gives the team a double digit lead to work with in the fourth quarter and the D can't hold it, you have systemic problems that can't be laid at the feet of one player. 

• Like 3