Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have we found our WR

Restinpeacesweetchloe

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No you just misunderstood what I said.  Just because I think they could be keepers doesn’t mean we shouldn’t upgrade. Maybe I should of made that more clear. I was talking about having guys like that as depth and how good that could make this WR group.

If TY comes back, you'll see these two get little to very little or no targets. It's not that they aren't decent, or even good depth, it's that JB will go back to locking in on TY because he's the first read in 90+% of plays. Point being, is we've had capable guys like these two, and even better all year long. And even these guys (one PS, and one the 6th WR to start the year) are getting open and can catch.

2 hours ago, Ratking said:

Pascal seems likes he is a keeper for sure. 

I absolutely love the physical game Pascal has and he is above avg it seems. Strong blocker and strong hands. Not sure his ceiling is any higher though but there is a roll on the team for certain. TY, Fountain, Campbell, Johnson maybe. Going to need other pieces before we take a wr high imho. 

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If TY comes back, you'll see these two get little to very little or no targets. It's not that they aren't decent, or even good depth, it's that JB will go back to locking in on TY because he's the first read in 90+% of plays. Point being, is we've had capable guys like these two, and even better all year long. And even these guys (one PS, and one the 6th WR to start the year) are getting open and can catch.

You missed the point. Having guys like Pascal as a depth piece makes is stronger. 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You missed the point. Having guys like Pascal as a depth piece makes is stronger. 

You are missing the point. 

Pascal is a nice depth piece. So are guys like Rogers, Cain, Johnson, etc..  Point is, they are all capable but never got targeted early because they were not 1st reads. They are all capable but just now showing it because all of sudden they are now the first reads. In short, our WR core has not been horrible all year like many say. We just have had a QB that struggles in progressions. I'm all for upgrading WRs, but hopefully we have a new QB who can regularly get to the 2nd and 3rd reads.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pascal is a nice depth piece. So are guys like Rogers, Cain, Johnson, etc..  Point is, they are all capable but never got targeted early because they were not 1st reads. They are all capable but just now showing it because all of sudden they are now the first reads. In short, our WR core has not been horrible all year like many say. We just have had a QB that struggles in progressions. I'm all for upgrading WRs, but hopefully we have a new QB who can regularly get to the 2nd and 3rd reads.

This isn’t about the QB. This is simply about how they are performing and could they have a future here. BTW when Hilton played in the first Texan game pascal had 100 yards. Stop turning everything thread into Jacoby.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This isn’t about the QB. This is simply about how they are performing and could they have a future here. BTW when Hilton played in the first Texan game pascal had 100 yards. Stop turning everything thread into Jacoby.

What he is saying is it's hard to talk about the performance of a receiver  without discussing the QB in this case. their performance is predicated on the amount of opportunities they get.

It's rather ironic that  these guys you are discussing were being criticized for being free agents and free agents can't be good. They can be decent if they are targeted. I think that is what you are expressing.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Huh. I said he had a good game.

I'm saying I'm kinda confused by your post. Johnson had a terrible game today. 2 deep catches doesn't equate to "really good" imo. Now if he didn't have any drops today, I would agree that I'm at least looking forward to him progress but man 3 catches on 7 targets. Yikes.

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They blanked TY (double and triple coverage), and only then did he go to Pascal. 

When you act like these WRs, especially like Pascal just suddenly became good, his journey is very relevant to the QBs he's played with. He played very well late in the season last year with Luck as well. Rogers did too. Key point here, is if you have JB as you're QB next year, your WR options beyond 1, maybe 2, won't get a lot of consistent opportunity so having 5 great pieces only matter as injury knocks out your players. A new rookie will likely be very slow to develop. Again, if TY had stayed healthy, you wouldn't even be talking about how good these guys are.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

They blanked TY (double and triple coverage), and only then did he go to Pascal. 

When you act like these WRs, especially like Pascal just suddenly became good, his journey is very relevant to the QBs he's played with. He played very well late in the season last year with Luck as well. Rogers did too. Key point here, is if you have JB as you're QB next year, your WR options beyond 1, maybe 2, won't get a lot of consistent opportunity so having 5 great pieces only matter as injury knocks out your players. A new rookie will likely be very slow to develop. Again, if TY had stayed healthy, you wouldn't even be talking about how good these guys are.

Can we stop making every d thread about Jacoby. This is also about setting a up a young new QB for success in the future.  The point is having pascal develop shows he can actually be a option now.  You are turning this into something it isn’t.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Can we stop making every d thread about Jacoby. This is also about setting a up a young new QB for success in the future.  The point is having pascal develop shows he can actually be a option now.  You are turning this into something it isn’t.

Roster management will be very different with JB compared to a new QB. We'll need a much stronger D with JB. And the types of WR will be very different.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Roster management will be very different with JB compared to a new QB. We'll need a much stronger D with JB. And the types of WR will be very different.

We need as many play makers as we can get.  Every new playmaker sets up a new QB to have more success. You don’t ignore skilled positions because who is the QB right now. There is the future we have to look ahead at with a new QB.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Pascal reminds me of Hines Ward. Tough, Physical, and can block and catch. I like Johnson too good hands. I just wish we had some taller possesion types. TY Pascal and Johnson are all short lol.

T.Y. is 5'9" to 5'10"

Pascal is 6'2"

Johnson is 6'1"

They are not ALL short

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Looks like we might have found two really good WR in pascal and Johnson. Pair them up with TY, Campbell and a draft pick next year that could be a force. I don’t think we need to go get a FA next season. Just draft a guy and this WR group will be very good.

Regarding Johnson imagine if he had been here earlier in the season when TY was healthy.  

Really good is a stretch, serviceable backups is what they are imo. Tampa Bays secondary is not the greatest if we are being honest here. 

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Really good is a stretch, serviceable backups is what they are imo. Tampa Bays secondary is not the greatest if we are being honest here. 

You missed the point. I wasn’t talking about them as a 1 or two. If they are your 3,4, or five that is a deep group. Your not going to have 5 elite WR. 

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We need as many play makers as we can get.  Every new playmaker sets up a new QB to have more success. You don’t ignore skilled positions because who is the QB right now. There is the future we have to look ahead at with a new QB.

If you are keeping JB, you need a lot more defense, then you need high draft WRs... 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you are keeping JB, you need a lot more defense, then you need high draft WRs... 

Why bring that up. I am talking about setting up a young QB. It’s clear at this point we will be drafting a QB if the right one comes are way. I want high draft picks no matter who is the QB. I want as many big weapons as we can get. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I've seen so many swings on the WR situation.

From "we have nobody", and "we have ignored the position for years", to "we have two good ones in Pascal and Johnson".... The narrative seems to change every game.

This.  I'm not going to overreact after playing one of the worst pass defenses in the entire league.

I think Pascal is an ideal #3, and Johnson a #4.  With what I've seen from Hines in the punt return game, I think we can let Rogers walk. 

8 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

This.  I'm not going to overreact after playing one of the worst pass defenses in the entire league.

I think Pascal is an ideal #3, and Johnson a #4.  With what I've seen from Hines in the punt return game, I think we can let Rogers walk. 

This is what I was trying to say. I wasn’t talking about either one being the next TY. But pair them with TY,Campbell, and a draft pick that’s a dang good group.  I think it’s safe to say Rogers will not be back after Hines has returned pretty well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

He is not very good just because he had two good games does not make him our number 2.

I never said that lol. I said that if we draft a WR within the first couple of rounds we really don’t need to go out and get a high priced FA. Pascal fits that 3 spot perfect. Johnson fits that also. I was talking about having a good group when everything comes together.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I never said that lol. I said that if we draft a WR within the first couple of rounds we really don’t need to go out and get a high priced FA. Pascal fits that 3 spot perfect. Johnson fits that also. I was talking about having a good group when everything comes together.

I am not quoting you i am talking about the people a head of us.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

T.Y. is 5'9" to 5'10"

Pascal is 6'2"

Johnson is 6'1"

They are not ALL short

Actually those are all short heights for the average NFL reciever. I think I said a bigger possession reciever. Something more like 6'4 6'5. I guess Pascal is average height. I want that guy with a huge catch radius who can go up and bring down those high 50/50 throws. Dont get me wrong we have good talent but height insnt coachable. If you find TY talent that is 6'4 you take it over 5'9.

12 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Actually those are all short heights for the average NFL reciever. I think I said a bigger possession reciever. Something more like 6'4 6'5. I guess Pascal is average height. I want that guy with a huge catch radius who can go up and bring down those high 50/50 throws. Dont get me wrong we have good talent but height insnt coachable. If you find TY talent that is 6'4 you take it over 5'9.

Im talking Dj Chark or Evans type. I wanted the Colts to draft Chark. We could have got him instead we got Turay and Lewis lol. Not complaining can hit on everything.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Im talking Dj Chark or Evans type. I wanted the Colts to draft Chark. We could have got him instead we got Turay and Lewis lol. Not complaining can hit on everything.

Drafted Chark.

Johnson is good at tracking the ball that's for sure. Both of those long balls were underthrown and he made good adjustments (2nd one he got taken down by defender) 

Pascal is definitely a good option. He's a keeper. That ball he snatched out of the air was impressive. 

Campbell. Man, he is frustrating with all these injuries. 

I agree about TY, seems like he might be on the backside of his career. 

Regardless, WR and TE have to be positions that the team is looking at for draft/FA

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Looks like we might have found two really good WR in pascal and Johnson. Pair them up with TY, Campbell and a draft pick next year that could be a force. I don’t think we need to go get a FA next season. Just draft a guy and this WR group will be very good.

Regarding Johnson imagine if he had been here earlier in the season when TY was healthy.  

Easy to overrate what young players do after the horse is already out of the barn.  This team is now playing out the string, so the young guys get some reps, that doesn't mean he'll be dependable when the games actually matter.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Easy to overrate what young players do after the horse is already out of the barn.  This team is now playing out the string, so the young guys get some reps, that doesn't mean he'll be dependable when the games actually matter.

They will never have to be the number ones. What I was talking abut is them as 3 4 or 5th. They have showed they have something.

Why is everyone confusing my post. I never said they would be the main guys.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why bring that up. I am talking about setting up a young QB. It’s clear at this point we will be drafting a QB if the right one comes are way. I want high draft picks no matter who is the QB. I want as many big weapons as we can get. 

I don't think anything around the QB position is certain right now. I certainly would not say it's clear we'll be drafting a QB. I'd like it if we did, but it's clear as mud right now. And, depending on what happens, the draft strategy would be very different.

19 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Keep in mind that Rogers was more productive than Pascal last year with Luck. They play different positions, but worth mentioning it's harder to get yards as a slot (Rogers), than as an X (Pascal). This year especially, when we have a QB that doesn't like to throw in the seam.

IMO, Pascal is a good backup X, which would put him at #4 or #5. He has return and blocking positives that make him attractive too. Johnson is in the Z WR stack, and would put him at #5 at best IMO.

I'd prefer the following

Z - #1 TY, #2 Fountain

X - #1 Funch or draft pick, #2 Pascal

Slot - #1 Campbell, #2 Rogers or draft pick

Note - Fountain could play X too, but he's probably better in motion at Z. Just not sure he's strong enough. If he can beat the press effectively though, he might be a very good option at X.

In short, if we're healthy, we're not bad off at WR. We just have a lot of wild cards with Funch being a FA, Campbell's injuries, TY's health and age, etc.. 

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

i fully agree with thissss the Wr have been getting open just not thrown to!! it’s not that we lack talent it’s we don’t “SEE WHOS OPEN” or rather i should say trust our wr to make a contested catch..that deep ball to johnson was underthrown yet caught but i bet no1 will call JB out on that it’s like he didn’t learn anything sitting behind luck besides to dump it off