Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How the Colts can still win the division

coltsorioles

Just now, Kangaroo said:

Do we really want to win the Division now? Currently we are sitting on pick 15.

Personally, I want to watch my team win every game. My signature shares how I feel about wanting my team to lose. It goes against my desire as fan. 

To each his or her own. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, Four2itus said:

Personally, I want to watch my team win every game. My signature shares how I feel about wanting my team to lose. It goes against my desire as fan. 

To each his or her own. 

So you want to damage the future for a little short-term happiness? We didn't get talent like Luck and Nelson off wins. If we can lose out and get a talent like Derrick Brown in the 1st, that's the best outcome for the team long-term.

On 12/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, NannyMcafee said:

Why so we can lose in the first round? 

People just want to be happy we made the playoffs. We'd get blown out, and come draft time, the same people would get upset when all the top players get taken before us because we pick at the early 20s and we reach or trade down again.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So you want to damage the future for a little short-term happiness?

So you want to damage the players in that room by losing on purpose for your own happiness? 

Com'n man. The path to becoming a champion has zero stops along the way at "lose on purposeville". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Raiders and Steelers both lose. 

After Raiders and Steelers lost we are at 3% then if we win vs. Saints it goes to 10%  (Courtesy of NewYorkTimes)  This is a good link:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/upshot/indianapolis-colts-nfl-playoff-picture.html#ari-cle-15=win&lac-min-15=loss&oak-jax-15=loss&dal-lar-15=win&sf-atl-15=win&pit-buf-15=loss

Just now, Four2itus said:

So you want to damage the players in that room by losing on purpose for your own happiness? 

Com'n man. The path to becoming a champion has zero stops along the way at "lose on purposeville". 

I want to damage the rest of a pointless season for a better chance at a SB in the next few years, yes. I prefer to lose competitively and not get blown out, but these players have lost 5 of the last 6 games and have damaged themselves. 3 more games won't change that. Best thing to do is to play the odds in the draft. It won't happen on purpose, but I can hope.

6 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Sorry hope im wrong but zero chance colts beat saints.

You clearly do not watch much football. Odds are stacked against us but........oh, hold on, I see what you are doing. Trying to steal Chloe's mantle as chief pessimist. Nicely played sir. Fooled me for a second.....

• Like 1

The colts loss to the Steelers was devastating. As I write this before the game Monday night.  Now at 7-6 the Colts would have controlled their own destiny, and even with a loss tonight all they would have needed was to win the last 2 and hope Tennessee lost one because the Colts would hold the tie breaker over Tennessee and Pittsburgh.    As far as next year they can be a legitimate super bowl contender. They only need 2 things.  #1  just have just an average amount of injuries,  and #2 and most importantly get Andrew Luck back. If he was here this year and healthy they already would have at least 10 wins

On 12/13/2019 at 6:38 PM, runthepost said:

Won’t matter man or zone Michael Thomas will feast on whoever we throw at him

Unfortunately, the last 3 weeks the Colts have had the worst pass defense in the league (like 307 yards per game surrendered).  Not a good sign with Brees/Thomas and company being next up.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, Kangaroo said:

I want us to win every game, but reality says that even if we make the playoffs, we won't make it very far.  This season is lost--let's move on to the future

I'd rather take our chances with our current team in an outdoor blustery stadium (run the ball, stop the run) in the playoffs rather than being in a passing game shootout. 

Which reminds me, I'm not confidant the way CB/Reich has built the offense fits L.O.S.

That along with ( sorry locals, you're not K.C. or Seattle's 12 ) the lack of noise means there really is no 'home field advantage' to speak of.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I want to damage the rest of a pointless season for a better chance at a SB in the next few years, yes. I prefer to lose competitively and not get blown out, but these players have lost 5 of the last 6 games and have damaged themselves. 3 more games won't change that. Best thing to do is to play the odds in the draft. It won't happen on purpose, but I can hope.

Under your theory, teams like Cleveland and Jacksonville, both of whom have drafted top 10 most of the last 2 decades would have multiple superbowls and a dream team.  The draft is a crap shoot.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, coltsorioles said:

The colts loss to the Steelers was devastating. As I write this before the game Monday night.  Now at 7-6 the Colts would have controlled their own destiny, and even with a loss tonight all they would have needed was to win the last 2 and hope Tennessee lost one because the Colts would hold the tie breaker over Tennessee and Pittsburgh.    As far as next year they can be a legitimate super bowl contender. They only need 2 things.  #1  just have just an average amount of injuries,  and #2 and most importantly get Andrew Luck back. If he was here this year and healthy they already would have at least 10 wins

Repeat after me... Andrew Luck is not coming back.  Andrew Luck is not coming back. Andrew Luck is not coming back.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Under your theory, teams like Cleveland and Jacksonville, both of whom have drafted top 10 most of the last 2 decades would have multiple superbowls and a dream team.  The draft is a crap shoot.

Wrong. Their problem is that they don't have competant QB play. They both have very good teams. Give either Andrew Luck and they win a SB. Even if you have a solid team, you'll be picking top 10 until you get a franchise QB. As soon as we got Luck, we made the playoffs in 2012. When Brissett played in 2017 and now 2019, we missed the playoffs.

The same teams pick top 10 because they have no QB. They actually hit on their 1st round picks more than other teams because they are in the top 10.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Wrong. Their problem is that they don't have competant QB play. They both have very good teams. Give either Andrew Luck and they win a SB. Even if you have a solid team, you'll be picking top 10 until you get a franchise QB. As soon as we got Luck, we made the playoffs in 2012. When Brissett played in 2017 and now 2019, we missed the playoffs.

The same teams pick top 10 because they have no QB. They actually hit on their 1st round picks more than other teams because they are in the top 10.

And how many QBs have each of those two teams alone tried?  Including multiple 1st round selections?

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And how many QBs have each of those two teams alone tried?  Including multiple 1st round selections?

2016:

1. Jared Goff, California, Rams

2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State, Eagles

26. Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Broncos

___

2015:

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, Titans

___

2014:

3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars

22. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, Browns

32. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, Vikings

___

2013:

16. EJ Manuel, Florida State, Bills

___

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts

2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins

8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins

22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns

___

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers

8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans

10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars

12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

___

2010:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams

25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos

___

2009:

1. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions

5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets

17. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, Buccaneers

___

2008:

3. Matt Ryan, Boston College, Falcons

18. Joe Flacco, Delaware, Ravens

___

2007:

1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders

22. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, Browns

I found an article from a couple years back and it's really sad how some folks think it's easy to find a QB. You're lucky if maybe 2 or 3 QB's succeed per draft. There's some sad names on this list of guys who were supposed to turn franchises around.

Not advocating for JB, but if you're Ballard or Frank and end up with one of the duds on this list, you'll be on the unemployment line pretty quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To be fair, for Cleveland:

From 2000 to today, they selected 4 QB. Only Mayfield was a top 10 pick.

And for Jaguars:

3QBs, all on top 10.

The thing about the draft is you need to have a good scout team. And sometimes, of course, there will be a gamble.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

QB is the hardest position to hit on as well as the most important. That's why when a team misses on a QB, it sets them back 3-5 years. If you don't have one, you probably won't get far. The Colts are about to go through the same thing, and it's part of the reason I prefer to tank the last 3 games, so we have our choice of QB.

19 minutes ago, IinD said:

but if you're Ballard or Frank and end up with one of the duds on this list, you'll be on the unemployment line pretty quick.

we are already in the needing a QB line, drafting one is how we might get out

they could totally fail, but we are not going anywhere by standing pat either 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My big question do these QB fail because they have bad teams and bad organizations. How many who failed would be very good if they would of went to a good organization. That’s why some of these Qb should want to go later because your going to a better team. 

i think the top QBs tend to believe they can turn things around for teams plus they get more money for going higher

i wondered if luck would want to come here when this team was a mess, and he said yes he wanted to go #1.  he probably would have gone anywhere to be the top pick

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

we are already in the needing a QB line, drafting one is how we might get out

they could totally fail, but we are not going anywhere by standing pat either 

I hear you man. I totally get we're in the QB limbo phase.

As much as I'm on the fence about JB, I don't want to fall into drafting a QB 'just because'. We're in a tough spot honestly because JB isn't terrible or great. Sadly we could draft a guy who is worse. I get the thinking that we could hit on one though.

Definitely an important time in our franchises future the next few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

QB is the hardest position to hit on as well as the most important. That's why when a team misses on a QB, it sets them back 3-5 years. If you don't have one, you probably won't get far. The Colts are about to go through the same thing, and it's part of the reason I prefer to tank the last 3 games, so we have our choice of QB.

6-10 won't give them their choice at qb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IinD said:

2016:

1. Jared Goff, California, Rams

2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State, Eagles

26. Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Broncos

___

2015:

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State, Buccaneers

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, Titans

___

2014:

3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida, Jaguars

22. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, Browns

32. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, Vikings

___

2013:

16. EJ Manuel, Florida State, Bills

___

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts

2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins

8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins

22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns

___

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers

8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans

10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars

12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

___

2010:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma, Rams

25. Tim Tebow, Florida, Broncos

___

2009:

1. Matthew Stafford, Georgia, Lions

5. Mark Sanchez, USC, Jets

17. Josh Freeman, Kansas State, Buccaneers

___

2008:

3. Matt Ryan, Boston College, Falcons

18. Joe Flacco, Delaware, Ravens

___

2007:

1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU, Raiders

22. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame, Browns

I found an article from a couple years back and it's really sad how some folks think it's easy to find a QB. You're lucky if maybe 2 or 3 QB's succeed per draft. There's some sad names on this list of guys who were supposed to turn franchises around.

Not advocating for JB, but if you're Ballard or Frank and end up with one of the duds on this list, you'll be on the unemployment line pretty quick.

Yep, my guess is they keep JB, he’s under contract so why not. Then IF they were to draft on in the 1st or 2nd round, and he flops, they have a plan B.(JB)

2 hours ago, DiogoZ said:

To be fair, for Cleveland:

From 2000 to today, they selected 4 QB. Only Mayfield was a top 10 pick.

And for Jaguars:

3QBs, all on top 10.

The thing about the draft is you need to have a good scout team. And sometimes, of course, there will be a gamble.

Exactly 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

8-12 won’t give them their choice. They’d have to be the number pick to have that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep, my guess is they keep JB, he’s under contract so why not. Then IF they were to draft on in the 1st or 2nd round, and he flops, they have a plan B.(JB)

Exactly 

8-12 won’t give them their choice. They’d have to be the number pick to have that. 

I meant their choice besides Burrow.