Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts’ 4th quarter offense today (yikes)

zibby43

The Colts had 3 drives in the 4th quarter.  They managed 14 plays and gained a total of 35 yards.  Only 1 first down (excluding penalty yardage).

In the 4th, Brissett was 5-of-9 for a whopping 30 yards.  Against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL.

Brissett did some good things today, and he deserves credit for that, but when people say the loss isn’t on him, I disagree.  It’s not totally on him, but irrespective of what the defense did, when there were plays that needed to be made late, Brissett and the offense as a whole, did not make them.

That gets you beat in the NFL.

The loss today was definitely a team effort.  Coverage looked atrocious.  That being said JB plays very poorly in the 4th.  I think they said he has 4TDs, 3 INTs in the 4th this year.  Tack on today’s bad fourth quarter performance just shows lack of reliability to get the job done when it counts imo.  

Plenty of work to do, should be an interesting off season at least! Lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

For me, the defining moment in the game was when I asked, "Why are they going for two?" with the answer, "Because they're concerned they can't hold a two touchdown lead against this team with a quarter to play."

And we were right.

I like going for two. I don't like how that was the last time we scored points, and how the D collapsed.

5 minutes ago, masters1 said:

Kevin Bowen was talking about this with Brissett the other day. In the first quarter, when most of their plays are scripted, he performs much better. By the fourth quarter his numbers and rating are doing a nosedive. 

He actually did ok today in the fourth. Our first two drives in the fourth ended on a fumble and a missed FG.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, masters1 said:

Kevin Bowen was talking about this with Brissett the other day. In the first quarter, when most of their plays are scripted, he performs much better. By the fourth quarter his numbers and rating are doing a nosedive. 

Watch those first qtr. Passes.... The majority of those he's locking onto his target while still in the huddle.... Ok, not that early, but not only are those plays scripted... He's picking his man and making no attempt at reading the d or going through progressions, it's throw to option a scramble and pray option a gets open, or take off.... Late game?  God knows how limited the play calls are considering the above is describing your QB....

• Haha 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I am talking about our first 2 drives. We score on just one and we probably win. Don’t forget that Johnson PI call. You can almost add that to that 36 yards.

Those were his fourth quarter numbers.  The whole quarter.  He did not play well in the fourth.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He actually did ok today in the fourth. Our first two drives in the fourth ended on a fumble and a missed FG.

No he didn't.... 

1st drive of 4Q

He was OK the first drive that resulted in a fumble, but really didn't do much at all. He only completed one pass, and that was on the fumble. 45 of the 59 yards in that drive came off a PI.

2nd drive of 4Q

He was handed the ball in great field position due to our D INTing the ball. He had 1 yard on one completion, and threw a very bad incomplete pass to Johnson on the other. 

3rd and final drive of 4Q

Went 3 of 6, missing an easy 3rd down crosser to Doyle with a throw behind him that should have been an easy 1st down. Then we had the attempted double pass on 4th to end the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hey if it isn't his YPA or completing long passes down the field, why not find something else he sucked at lmao . Par for the course.

Or he hit two deep passes which is nice but was really bad outside of that.  If you think completing 50% of your passes for 150 yards outside of a couple deep throws for one TD against the leagues 31st ranked defense and leading the team to 8 points in the second half and going 5 of 9 for 30 yards in the fourth quarter is good enough that’s fine but most will disagree with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

He was really only good at photo bombing as a backup,that was his niche 

Not his fault Luck quit. Also if his critics know he is just a backup and a stinky starter why should he be criticized at all? You guys all ready know what to expect lmao  so why pile it on. We had no other QB's on the roster except for him, Hoyer, and Kelly. So this season is what it is. At least he doesn't photo bomb as a drunk on a strangers couch. Acting like a fool like one of our QB's did who people seem to think is the next Peyton Manning. He doesn't punch photographers either for no reason. He isn't a quitter either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or he hit two deep passes which is nice but was really bad outside of that.  If you think completing 50% of your passes for 150 yards outside of a couple deep throws for one TD against the leagues 31st ranked defense and leading the team to 8 points in the second half and going 5 of 9 for 30 yards in the fourth quarter is good enough that’s fine but most will disagree with that.

Up 35-21 should be good enough unless he just started giving the game away with turnovers. I guess next week he will have to do better and score 42.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not his fault Luck quit. Also if his critics know he is just a backup and a stinky starter why should he be criticized at all? You guys all ready know what to expect lmao  so why pile it on. We had no other QB's on the roster except for him, Hoyer, and Kelly. So this season is what it is. At least he doesn't photo bomb as a drunk on a strangers couch. Acting like a fool like one of our QB's did who people seem to think is the next Peyton Manning. He doesn't punch photographers either for no reason. He isn't a quitter either. 

Take it easy bro ,don't blow a gasket.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No one is saying it’s his fault or that he’s done less than his best.  That doesn’t make his best good enough and if you don’t expect people to point that then I am not sure what to tell you.  Also count me in the camp that doesn’t think there is a better QB on the roster at the moment.  That’s why I am hoping the Colts draft a QB in the first round and move up to get one if they need too.  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Up 35-21 should be good enough unless he just started giving the game away with turnovers. I guess next week he will have to do better and score 42.

Oh don’t get me wrong the defense and coaching were a much bigger problem today but Jacoby was still a problem.  If you want to talk about why the Colts lost Jacoby isn’t at the top of that list but if you want objectively judge Jacoby he wasn’t good today just because others were worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No one is saying it’s his fault or that he’s done less than his best.  That doesn’t make his best good enough and if you don’t expect people to point that then I am not sure what to tell you.  Also count me in the camp that doesn’t think there is a better QB on the roster at the moment.  That’s why I am hoping the Colts draft a QB in the first round and move up to get one if they need too.  

So you think Kelly is better, a guy who has never taken a regular season game snap? Ok. I am sure you do not think Hoyer is better?

At this point I want to see Kelly now because at 6-7 I would just rest JB.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you think Kelly is better, a guy who has never taken a regular season game snap? Ok. I am sure you do not think Hoyer is better?

At this point I want to see Kelly now because at 6-7 I would just rest JB.

did you read what I posted?  Mostly the part where I said I think Jacoby is the best QB on this roster.  It doesn’t make him good enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t even come close to saying that.  As I said in another post in this thread I think Jacoby is the best QB on this roster.  It doesn’t make him good enough.

When you said count me in the camp that doesn't think there is a better QB on the roster, I thought you meant there was. I mis-read it as you thought there was. Too many beers I guess lmao 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When you said count me in the camp that doesn't think there is a better QB on the roster, I thought you meant there was. I mis-read it as you thought there was. Too many beers I guess lmao 

Nope, Jacoby is the best that they have and he’s doing the best he can.  It’s not his fault his not good enough.  My bigger point is that they need an upgrade.  I think the best place to get that is with their first round draft pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nope, Jacoby is the best that they have and he’s doing the best he can.  It’s not his fault his not good enough.  My bigger point is that they need an upgrade.  I think the best place to get that is with their first round draft pick.

We will see what Ballard does in the draft. I would be surprised if he went QB in round 1 but he might.