Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mediocracy

indyagent17

1 hour ago, GmcFWA said:

Just listened to Kevin Bowens podcast, 2nd sentence out of his mouth:

This team can't close, this team has no killer instinct. 

Now where have I heard that before? 

Some people might say injuries and Luck retiring out of nowhere hurt this team more than a lack of "killer instinct." 

Also leading the NFL in missed field goals doesn't help either. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Who's to say Kelly wins the way this team is playing.

Good point. If he goes out and hits all his targets in the face, even if they drop all of them, shows good judgement and gets into recievers face for dropping the ball, then sign him up.

What did people expect when Luck retired 2 weeks before the season? I predicted 8-8 before the season started in here. Thinking JB could be average to maybe above average but he wasn't Luck. I had 11-5 with Luck. When we got off to the 5-2 start I was pleasantly surprised, then players started dropping like flies due to injury. JB injuring his knee at Pitt really was bad, we lost that game and then to Miami without him. TY being out and playing injured has been killing this team as well.

• Like 2

Awe... Ive missed all these roaches that scurry when the lights are on lol...

Good thing Colts left the lights off the past few weeks... otherwise these posters may have finally left for good! We couldnt have that!

Then where would we get our daily dose of laughter from?

On 12/8/2019 at 4:51 PM, GmcFWA said:

No one willing to get in anyone's face, no killer instinct. 

I think you should say that to Big Q face... chicken?

On 12/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve seen some mock drafts that have the Oregon kid falling to the Colts and that was before this loss.  If the Colts are going to get a QB watching what the Bengals do at number will be big.  If they take Young out of OSU number one a QB will probably slip to the Colts.  If they take Burrow the Colts will may have to go up and get one if they want one.

So here's a theoretical: if the Bengals, in the course of the off-season, walk away from Andy Dalton, would the Colts be interested in spending some cash on a "hired gun" like him? Could be an interesting move, especially if the Colts also drafted a young QB to be mentored by Dalton/Brissett...

On 12/8/2019 at 10:37 PM, indyagent17 said:

I trust Ballard has plenty of scouting tape on all the QBs. I can see him seeing a QB with that early  second round pick

Nuts to the 2nd rounder!

If we are taking a QB, we want the highest 1st rounder possible...ransom the farm to move up.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, Ratking said:

I thought our non-felon to felon ratio was a little off... 

Good scouting bud. Gonna start working on my "killer instinct" now. 

130601597698.jpg

Kenny Moore and Darius Leonard are such good guys I think their offsetting felon ratio is at least 3:1 :Cry:

On 12/9/2019 at 8:37 PM, jvan1973 said:

No one wants to win more than Frank Reich and Chris Ballard.    If he was better than Brissett he would be at least active for games

same coaches that put hoyer in and same GM that brought in tolzien 

im surprised so many people make generic "i trust the coaches" comments.  they make mistakes like everyone else

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im surprised so many people make generic "i trust the coaches" comments.  they make mistakes like everyone else

They make mistakes far less often than fans would

On 12/9/2019 at 8:37 PM, jvan1973 said:

No one wants to win more than Frank Reich and Chris Ballard.    If he was better than Brissett he would be at least active for games

who says they are any good at knowing one way or the other? I havent seen a lot of evidence of any proof one way or the other.

There are two very different coaching skillsets. The first relates to game planning, strategy and actually playing the game of football. The second is effective player development. Some very talented players figure it out for themselves, but that is rare. Others need to be "coached", guided by a knowledgeable mentor to develop good habits and routines. The latter takes time and hard work. It seems to this fan that either not enough work is being put into the effort, or we are not very efficient at player development. Injuries obviously hamper our development, and someone with actual talent and knowledge re: preventing injuries needs to be brought on board.

10 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The first relates to game planning, strategy and actually playing the game of football.

they were pretty good at both last year, now it seems like they have regressed on both fronts

maybe it was just luck making them seem better

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

The GM's and coaches definitely know "more" than fans, but I'm not sure the results are not always right.   You see many teams that are so bad for years and years.   I have to think a group of "fans" could have done a better job.

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

The GM's and coaches definitely know "more" than fans, but I'm not sure the results are not always right.   You see many teams that are so bad for years and years.   I have to think a group of "fans" could have done a better job.

fans would probably struggle to coach a game, but personnel stuff is different.  you could have thrown darts at a draft board and done better than some teams  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 5:58 AM, Pacergeek said:

There is no accountability on this team. No excuse to get torched from Winston when his top WR is out of the game. Our defense gave Winston easy completions the entire game. I keep hearing how Eberflus is a future HC lol. 

And what would you need to see to determine there is accountability.  If someone got fired would that satisfy you that accountability has been established?  Or maybe fine the entire defense - including the coaches - since there is no way Winston could have torched us if there was accountability?

What is it?

On 12/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, IinD said:

Like I said, everyone's scale is different. I don't have as many levels, probably 3 levels. Mediocre, average'ish (most of the league) and good teams.

Mediocre to me means bottom of the barrel bonafide top 3 in the draft type bad, this team is far from that is my view honestly. 

me·di·o·cre

/ˌmēdēˈōkər/

adjective

of only moderate quality; not very good.

"a mediocre actor"

I think that word pretty well describes a team like the Colts are right now. Not "Cincinnati bad" or "Miami bad". Just good enough to end up in a "mediocre" draft position, and not bad enough to score a top-5 or even a top-10 prospect. It's going to be a long, hard slog crawling out of this hole, and even harder without a franchise QB. 

• Like 1

Being middle of the road isn't going to be of much value in trying to get a QB, if that's even a thing (it probably should be, but don't be shocked if it's not).

I feel like we're watching a slow rolling undoing of future potential and we're kind of ending up where we were under Grigson and Pagano when they go fired, for different reasons. They had Luck but a bottom barrel roster. Ballard and Reich have a passable roster (when healthy) but QB issues. Both are going to result in hovering around 8-8 and that's no mans land when it comes to fixing big issues through the top of the draft.