Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A learning season

CR91

Now anyone that knows me knows I have contributed for years on this forum so please don't take this as me overreacting or being a troll. The colts lets this season go. 5-2 and in the 2nd seed in the AFC to 6-7 and basically out of the playoffs is inexcusable.  Yes I understand we had a ton of injuries, but so have the steelers and their still winning. I understand we are a young team, but to blow a 5-2 record with losses to the dolphins, bucs, and a tannerhill led titan team that you can't explain especially when we beat the chiefs. I can't point to one single problem, but what I do know is this team has talent, but unfortunately we are unable to put it together and I hope we go into the off-season really trying to build this team instead of just relying on young talent to contribute right away when their still learning the game on the fly. Our young players got exposed today when it came to zone concepts and understanding their responsibilities within the scheme. I am really upset with how this season has gone after showing so much promise to begin the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, love the shoe said:

Too many injuries . Too much to overcome 

That's it in a nutshell. Add in a potential HOF QB retiring 15 minutes before showtime and it is what it is.

They've definitely got some good pieces, not enough to overcome and win though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, IinD said:

That's it in a nutshell. Add in a potential HOF QB retiring 15 minutes before showtime and it is what it is.

They've definitely got some good pieces, not enough to overcome and win though.

This is almost exactly word for word what I was in the process of posting but my iPad was acting up haha. But yes, THIS! 

• Like 1

Not buying the injury stuff. Sure it's an impact, but.....

1) D play calling was horrible. Everyone knows Winston can pick soft zones apart, especially when he steps outside of the pocket. We should have seen more man today. And why we didn't blitz more vs a QB that has been sacked almost the most in the NFL is beyond me. He was without his staring RG, and his LT went out during the game. And we only get ONE sack?

2) Our passing game was up and down and didn't do anything when it mattered late. Sorry, but we need more than two TDs in the air when:

a) you're playing the 2nd worst passing D in the league

b) you playing the 2 best rushing D

c) you're playing a team who is top 5 in both points and passing

And again, plenty of open guys missed, and several bad passes in key moments. The throw behind Doyle near the end, and the "front" shoulder pass to Pascal late were awful. Same sheet, different game.

• Like 2

This season would've been a wash and nobody wouldve said a thing. Then they had to go and beat Chiefs and Houston and start 5-2 and get everyone's ears perked up. 

Garbage season. I warned by saying this season has been a big "two letters". But it kinda has.. just hoping someone else can represent the AFC in the Superbowl this year...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, love the shoe said:

Too many injuries . Too much to overcome 

Playing the injuries card is excuses other teams have next man up you have to have a next man up steelers are decimated at the receiver position too guess what don't matter they are 7-5  looking to go to 8-5.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Garbage.  Steelers r playing their 3rd string qb

That what I just said time to stop making excuses.

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Peyton and Andrew have always covered our teams weaknesses. When we don’t have either of them, we are either mediocre or lottery bound . Ballard and Reich are trying to build our entire team but we aren’t quite there yet.

2-3 years away imo, and by then we probably lose Houston

57 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That what I just said time to stop making excuses.

What does that even mean?

If every fan on this message board said, "No more excuses", do you really think that would alter what is happening with the Colts? I am genuinely curious. 

24 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Peyton and Andrew have always covered our teams weaknesses. When we don’t have either of them, we are either mediocre or lottery bound . Ballard and Reich are trying to build our entire team but we aren’t quite there yet.

Well yeah, you take Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, Russ Wilson off their teams and put a backup level guy in their place, and most teams end up falling flat on their faces. 

I honestly think with how many guys have gone down, how young the team has been due to almost an entire rebuild on the defensive side of the ball, Luck retiring, it's a lot to overcome. The fact that we are in as good a position as we are is honestly a testament to Ballard/Reich, it blows my mind a lot of people are turning on them now. I guess that's what happens at this point in the game though, especially with a fanbase that's had a Top 5 Quarterback for the last 20 years. 

I think they will have us ready to rock next year for sure, we have great draft capital and cap room, we will look entirely different next year. I'd be blown away if Jacoby Brissett was our starting quarterback by midseason next year, and he definitely won't be going into 2021. Just weather a little bit of a storm guys, but we have a great coach, and imo one of the best GMs in the league, so we'll be fine. What do you really expect when a guy like Luck steps down like that? It has such a monumental impact, it's not like a linebacker or even a RB or WR leaving, you're talking about the lead architect. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Now anyone that knows me knows I have contributed for years on this forum so please don't take this as me overreacting or being a troll. The colts lets this season go. 5-2 and in the 2nd seed in the AFC to 6-7 and basically out of the playoffs is inexcusable.  Yes I understand we had a ton of injuries, but so have the steelers and their still winning. I understand we are a young team, but to blow a 5-2 record with losses to the dolphins, bucs, and a tannerhill led titan team that you can't explain especially when we beat the chiefs. I can't point to one single problem, but what I do know is this team has talent, but unfortunately we are unable to put it together and I hope we go into the off-season really trying to build this team instead of just relying on young talent to contribute right away when their still learning the game on the fly. Our young players got exposed today when it came to zone concepts and understanding their responsibilities within the scheme. I am really upset with how this season has gone after showing so much promise to begin the season.

Ha, ha, ha..."a learning season".

Yeah, we learned that Brissett cannot be a starting QB in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Well yeah, you take Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, Russ Wilson off their teams and put a backup level guy in their place, and most teams end up falling flat on their faces. 

I honestly think with how many guys have gone down, how young the team has been due to almost an entire rebuild on the defensive side of the ball, Luck retiring, it's a lot to overcome. The fact that we are in as good a position as we are is honestly a testament to Ballard/Reich, it blows my mind a lot of people are turning on them now. I guess that's what happens at this point in the game though, especially with a fanbase that's had a Top 5 Quarterback for the last 20 years. 

I think they will have us ready to rock next year for sure, we have great draft capital and cap room, we will look entirely different next year. I'd be blown away if Jacoby Brissett was our starting quarterback by midseason next year, and he definitely won't be going into 2021. Just weather a little bit of a storm guys, but we have a great coach, and imo one of the best GMs in the league, so we'll be fine. What do you really expect when a guy like Luck steps down like that? It has such a monumental impact, it's not like a linebacker or even a RB or WR leaving, you're talking about the lead architect. 

So you are thinking we will rock and Brissett may start 8 games?

4 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Ha, ha, ha..."a learning season".

Yeah, we learned that Brissett cannot be a starting QB in the NFL.

What we all should do is make you GM. I will give Irsay a call tomorrow. Than you could choose your QB so we all can quit reading the same bashing posts of JB you make everyday. We get it, you think he stinks, a highschool QB would be better, blah blah blah.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

We’ll get our needs soon in the draft. 

53 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Look at the Titans as we speak are blowing out the Raiders with their back up QB...Where are the genius, scouts that are supposed to provide input for this Team's success...

To be fair, the difference between Mariota to Tannehill is basically non-existent when compared to the difference between Luck to Brissett. It's not even close.

• Like 1

Hmmmm....what have we learned?

We need a new kicker

We need a qb

We need young game changing DT's

We need play makers on offence

We need a new special teams coach

We need our old  O line coach back

We need a RT and move Smith to guard

We need  these boat load of 2nd round picks  to finally show some potential

The way Ballard drafts and spends money, we should have all that in about 10 more years

I think people are ignoring the fact that this melt down is epic. We were 5 and 2 and were showing so much potential. Now we r looking at a top 10 or maybe even a top 5 pick . We went from the future looks so bright to now questioning every aspect of this organization.

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

What does that even mean?

If every fan on this message board said, "No more excuses", do you really think that would alter what is happening with the Colts? I am genuinely curious. 

All I have heard the last month is too many injuries its more than that yes we have a lot of young guys playing but lets be honest here the coaching has been atrocious the QB play hasn't been very good the defense is trash that and other things has played a role this year in why this team is so bad.

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

To be fair, the difference between Mariota to Tannehill is basically non-existent when compared to the difference between Luck to Brissett. It's not even close.

Tannehill  has been better  than Mariota for the titans 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm....what have we learned?

We need a new kicker

We need a qb

We need young game changing DT's

We need play makers on offence

We need a new special teams coach

We need our old  O line coach back

We need a RT and move Smith to guard

We need  these boat load of 2nd round picks  to finally show some potential

The way Ballard drafts and spends money, we should have all that in about 10 more years

I think people are ignoring the fact that this melt down is epic. We were 5 and 2 and were showing so much potential. Now we r looking at a top 10 or maybe even a top 5 pick . We went from the future looks so bright to now questioning every aspect of this organization.

Introducing our new GM - The Mighty Moose! crazy homer simpson GIFcrazy homer simpson GIF

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Steelers  have luck on their side. We force 4 turnovers and lose by three. They got one pick 6 versus us and it was essentially  the difference  in the game

Wow.  I never thought of that. They r 8 and 5 playing with a 3rd string qb and r winning because of luck!??!  Wow!!  Well when we pick in the top 10 next year, I say we draft lady luck with our 1st pick.  Damn, I never thought building a team would b so easy.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Introducing our new GM - The Mighty Moose! crazy homer simpson GIFcrazy homer simpson GIF

Nah,  I would rather b in charge of coordinating the cheer leaders

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wow.  I never thought of that. They r 8 and 5 playing with a 3rd string qb and r winning because of luck!??!  Wow!!  Well when we pick in the top 10 next year, I say we draft lady luck with our 1st pick.  Damn, I never thought building a team would b so easy.

Nah,  I would rather b in charge of coordinating the cheer leaders

Me too haha . shaking ride the ducks GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What we all should do is make you GM. I will give Irsay a call tomorrow. Than you could choose your QB so we all can quit reading the same bashing posts of JB you make everyday. We get it, you think he stinks, a highschool QB would be better, blah blah blah.

I cannot stand Brissett as the Colts QB. Almost any change would be for the better. BUT...I hope they play Brissett through to the last game so that we can optimize our draft position by losing with Jacoby.

Just now, CanuckColt said:

I cannot stand Brissett as the Colts QB. Almost any change would be for the better. BUT...I hope they play Brissett through to the last game so that we can optimize our draft position by losing with Jacoby.

I know you hate him, hence the post. I would prefer to play Kelly at this point and I am being serious. Season is over now for sure. Lets see what Kelly has.

While I would hope this has been a learning season, at best I think we've learned "what not to do". At worst, we have perfected making mistakes. The one lesson I have learned in sports is - you don't practice until you get it right, you practice until you can't get it wrong.

Some people tried to say when we were 5-2 that the way we were winning wasn’t sustainable.

I remember saying we could see the direct opposite of last year, hot start and cold finish. And sure, injuries have played a part in that, but the way we gut out close games leaves very little room for error. 

20 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Luck screwed us yet people defend him 

i dont, he took the money to entertain us and then quit and let his team mates and fans down, give the money back luck. and worse he did it after draft time. like paying to go to a concert and the singer quits in front of the crowd, but keeps the money

• Like 2