Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Doyle signed to three year extension

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

It was great to see Doyle look like he can last Sunday. No Ebron freed up the offense. Jack can keep doing this for several more years. Yaaaa!

Jack defines what a trueColt is, sure handed, a good security blanket for his QB, and a great guy off the field.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I like Doyle.  He's dependable and reliable. 

Is that enough for 3 years and $24m at age 29? Eeek.....I'm not so sure.

Yes, yes it is. He’s worth that for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

So we're going to let one of our best play makers in Ebron, walk. Sound like an excellent move. No offense to jack he's a good player but he is not the playmaker that Ebron is. Say what you want about him but he can't throw the ball to himself. The only thing that changed was his QB. 

What makes you so sure Ebron even wants to come back?  As for his qb, he wasn't exactly lighting it up his entire career with Stafford.... So it wasn't all JB.  18 Ebron was a fluke.  Doyle will never get 13 TDs in a yr, but he also will never cry about getting the ball, proceed to drop all the added targets, and then shut himself down for the year so he can blame it on some injury, so there's that context also when choosing who gets a deal....

• Like 1

The two decisions will be made independent of each other.   While they are both called tight end,  they do not play the same position. 

Signing Doyle has nothing to do with keeping or not keeping Ebron.   If we want to keep Ebron, we will.   If we don’t, then we won’t.  And I don’t know what the final decision will be?

I’m more curious about guys like AC and TYH.   Those decisions are far more important.   

• Like 3

So, what will Doyle's role be in the future? 

Will our second TE we add this year be more of a down field receiving threat (yeah I know, it depends upon who the QB is) or another move the chains guy?  Those are different skill sets and sometimes even body types to look for in the draft.

2 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

Nah he has a trash QB throwing the ball to him

Ebron checked out Mentally earlier in the  Year when things weren't going HIS way.

Stafford was/is pretty good and  throws ALOT,  wonder what the problem was there.

I’m starting to think last year was the anomaly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think Doyle’s game will age just fine. Lots of TE’s play well at his age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kelly we already used the 5 year option. Hes signed til 2020 

The Colts elected to use the 5th year option on Kelly. This option has to be addressed in the players 4th year , just after the April draft. All this does is lock the player up for the 5th year. It's really in essence , a right to keep the player for that 5th year. It's only guaranteed for injury, thus teams in most cases just cut the player if they so desire.

I would say the Colts probably exercised that option just in case they couldn't reach a long term deal with Kelly. But that's just my opinion .

If Kelly is not extended (I think he will), he will earn a bit over 10 million in 2020 and be a FA in 2021

• Like 2

I just saw such a funny tweet. The person said his friend is Doyle’s cousin. He said Doyle was going to retire but thinks Luck is coming back so he signed it. To funny the stuff people put on twitter.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Eeek?    What’s the problem?

The team is happy with it.   The player is happy with it.   So why aren’t you happy with it?   What’s the problem? 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just saw such a funny tweet. The person said his friend is Doyle’s cousin. He said Doyle was going to retire but thinks Luck is coming back so he signed it. To funny the stuff people put on twitter.

Yeah, I’m calling bull crap on that one

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would think with AC staying healthy this year and having one of his best years we will see him re-signed here soon. His context will probably be a lot of money. 

We almost assuredly re-sign AC. And I predict the contract won't be anything too crazy either, just my prediction. 

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I’m calling bull crap on that one

My aunt's dog's vet's proctologist saw the same tweet. :nose:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hate to say it we are better with Doyle getting more touches. Ebron hurt this team this year.

JB has hurt this team imho. Nobody has succeeding under him 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

So we're going to let one of our best play makers in Ebron, walk. Sound like an excellent move. No offense to jack he's a good player but he is not the playmaker that Ebron is. Say what you want about him but he can't throw the ball to himself. The only thing that changed was his QB. 

Problem with EE is, he gets a 30 yard play and then crickets. JD gets 6 first down catches allowing others to get a TD. It’s called, doing your job when it’s called vs the look at me, I got a big completion and then nothing. I’ll take consistently moving the chains over an every now and then big time play guy with several oops sorry type plays. 

• Like 1

lol people make it seem like Doyle saved us and helped us Win both Doyle/Enron haven’t done much of anything this year due to the fact neither creates a lot of space not saying that can’t still produce but jacoby won’t throw to them because he doesn’t trust his receivers when someone’s on their damn back..stop insulting one receiver to give another praise when all around they all haven’t done squat not hilton doyle it ebron..hilton has been injured/doyle has missed blocks more than usual/Ebron dropped majority of everything easy/campbell seems injury prone but intriguing/Cain wasn’t thrown to / and JB can’t throw anyone open behind such a good line if there’s one player i can praise its MACK 

I hate to say it we are better with Doyle getting more touches. Ebron hurt this team this year.

Ebron is the same player this year as he was last. Same body drop issues. The difference is, he was used a lot more in the RZ last year, and had a QB that could throw it to him in the seam. 

He gets paid pretty well.

The 21 is a pretty good number. Puts him in the 10-15 best paid space. Probably closer to the 15th once other contracts are done. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Probably will have little to no effect one way or the other. We have so much available cash, we can pretty much sign anyone 

Agree. I will say Ebron probably wants to go somewhere else where he'll have a bigger role with a better QB though. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ebron didn’t hurt this team. Not any more than anyone else. And Doyle has had some big time drops as well. 

I agree Ebron didn't hurt us anymore than he hurt us last year. 

Doyle has had some poorly timed drops, but only 2 vs Ebron's 4 or 5 depending on what service you look at.

We are better this year with Doyle getting more touches period.  Ebron was playing like crap and couldn’t stay out of his own head. I would take 19 Doyle’s over one Ebron.

Ebron wasn't playing any different than last year. He had one bad game where he had almost all of his drops. Aside from that, he's been pretty steady. I'd take Ebron over Doyle in the RZ or in the seam any day over Doyle with a QB that is able to hit the seam or throw with anticipation. Doyle is better on shallow routes.

AC contract is going to be huge. Don’t be surprised if they give Kelly the long term extension also. He has stayed healthy which is what we want to see. Both are going to be some of the highest paid players in the league at their positions.

AC should get somewhere in the 13-14M a year range. IMO, top 10 pay, but too old to get top 5.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kelly we already used the 5 year option. Hes signed til 2020 

I still wouldn't be shocked to see him extended early. I think we just invoked the the 5YO because we had to declare by a certain date, and it made sense. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Which is why Ebron hurt us this year. Doyle getting more targets might of helped the offense this year because Eric was to erratic.

To the point above, he only had one bad game. Doyle was on the field 40% more of the time because we ran the ball so much. Even with the 40% differential, they both got the same amount of targets.

Ebron actually had a better average per catch, and better total per game. In short, as a pass catcher, while Ebron had a few more drops, he still had better stats with the same # of targets. Take the one bad game away from Ebron, and you could say he easily has been the better pass catcher. 

Doyle brings blocking, so really they're two types of TEs anyway. Ebron has always been more of a detached TE, so expectation should begin in the right place when comparing the two. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, will426 said:

lol people make it seem like Doyle saved us and helped us Win both Doyle/Enron haven’t done much of anything this year due to the fact neither creates a lot of space not saying that can’t still produce but jacoby won’t throw to them because he doesn’t trust his receivers when someone’s on their damn back..stop insulting one receiver to give another praise when all around they all haven’t done squat not hilton doyle it ebron..hilton has been injured/doyle has missed blocks more than usual/Ebron dropped majority of everything easy/campbell seems injury prone but intriguing/Cain wasn’t thrown to / and JB can’t throw anyone open behind such a good line if there’s one player i can praise its MACK 

Both have been plenty open and have had good separation. Doyle is actually averaging the second highest separation of all WRs and TEs in the league. #2!

Ebron is in the top 30 as well, which is pretty good in general given we're looking at all WRs, RBs, and TEs across the league. To put in perspective, you typically have 4 pass catchers on the field, if not 5 counting the RB. So out of 128 to 160 players, we have one in the top 2%, another in the top 25%. TY was a few spots in back of Ebron. But all three WELL above average.

This also leads us back to the QB conversation like you said. We have 3 guys in the top 1/4 of the league in separation, and still can't get the ball to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The team is happy with it.   The player is happy with it.   So why aren’t you happy with it?   What’s the problem? 

The deal is fine I'm sure.

I would wager that the contract does not have much if anything guaranteed in the 3rd year. The guy gets paid 14 million for 2 years is probably the real deal.  As you say , nothing problematic here.

IMO it's kind of "ho-hum" stuff.

• Like 1

Ebron was checked out in my opinion when Luck retired. Doyle was blocking more so he wasn’t getting many targets. Now he gets more because we don’t have to worry about Ebron.  I would’ve rather have ten Doyle’s then one erratic Ebron who can be a head case when things aren’t going his way. Nobody is going to change my mind how I feel about this. 

• Haha 1

A great FA signing.  The only reason some might not be so excited is that we signed him from the Colts. 

Great news

I'd rather have Hooper for the other tight end. With Cox also around, we wouldn't need to draft a tight end this year or probably next.

I wonder how early is too early to extend Leonard and Nelson - it will probably get more expensive every year.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you implying that we should all just be happy with whatever the team do?

Let me put it this way. If we had signed Doyle from another team, at this stage of his career, for that deal I wouldn't have been happy.

I like Doyle as a blue collar guy. Just not sure hes dynamic or explosive enough to be making those sorts of numbers into his 30s. Although to be fair, given our cap space, its probably irrelevant anyway.

14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Ebron checked out Mentally earlier in the  Year when things weren't going HIS way.

Stafford was/is pretty good and  throws ALOT,  wonder what the problem was there.

I’m starting to think last year was the anomaly.

Ebron as i recall, was top 5 all-time in receptions for his first 4 years.
 There was a certain amount of disfunction with Detroit. I think Ebrons drops got him extra attention.

9 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Great news

I'd rather have Hooper for the other tight end. With Cox also around, we wouldn't need to draft a tight end this year or probably next.

I wonder how early is too early to extend Leonard and Nelson - it will probably get more expensive every year.

Nelson and Leonard can’t be extended until after their third year. They need one one season to be elgible. Our oline is going to have some major dollars wrapped up in it one Nelson signs after next year.

15 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think Doyle’s game will age just fine. Lots of TE’s play well at his age.

I wouldn't say lots. Olsen is a HOFer. Cook and Walker are much better receiving TEs.

As long as Doyle isn't the best TE on the roster...I have no issue with him playing here into his 30s.

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Let me put it this way. If we had signed Doyle from another team, at this stage of his career, for that deal I wouldn't have been happy.

I like Doyle as a blue collar guy. Just not sure hes dynamic or explosive enough to be making those sorts of numbers into his 30s. Although to be fair, given our cap space, its probably irrelevant anyway.

Agree. His cap hit isn't much higher than as it has been...so it's fine. Still...interesting that he gets a raise after missing a most of a season to a hip injury and then having a down season in production (for various reasons)...but it's around what other similar TEs got. 

I just hope he they aren't planning on him being TE1 going forward.

Interesting timing. Great for Doyle...he can finish his career in Indy...and great for Indy to have his steady presence around for the next couple of years. The cap hit isn't incredibly high...but it is interesting that Doyle gets a bit of a raise. 

I still hold out hope that Hunter Henry (or Austin Hooper) becomes available. I like Doyle...and he will be a good, steady TE2 type to have around...but this team needs a more dynamic TE1 threat. If they can't get one of those in FA...it's time to invest an early draft pick...and let Doyle help mentor him (which does seem like the direction they could be taking by locking up Doyle for a few more years).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ebron as i recall, was top 5 all-time in receptions for his first 4 years.
 There was a certain amount of disfunction with Detroit. I think Ebrons drops got him extra attention.

I heard he requested a LARGE mirror to be installed in his locker so he always had a great role model to look at.  Haha

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I heard he requested a LARGE mirror to be installed in his locker so he always had a great role model to look at.  Haha

I was really liking his positive energy, and can understand how much he misses our last QB. How things can change at the snap of the fingers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Ehh...it’s hardly an egregious overpay, even for a TE going into his thirties. Before any other signings this offseason he’d be the 12th highest paid TE in the league — between Tyler Higby and Cameron Brate. It’s basically an 11% raise over the last deal he signed while the cap is projected to increase about 20% over the same period.

The skills he brings to the table — blocking, short/intermediate routes — are also likely to age pretty well. It’s not like he’s ever been particularly fast/explosive. I’d guess most of the guaranteed money is in the first two years of the deal too.

21 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

He also had Matthew Stafford tossing to him when he stunk.

• Like 1