Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson blown up by Jeffrey Simmons on this play

chad72

I'm sure Nelson got the better of him on the majority of plays. Simmons to me still needs to become much more versatile to be in Nelson's league. He is a VERY strong DT who can push OL back and create pocket collapse. However, he lacks technique and pure speed to blow by guys like Nelson and other quality OGs on a consistent basis. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

even the best of them get made to look bad sometimes, especially against other really good players...remember Jonathan Ogden? Freeney abused him a lot and Ogden's in the Hall of Fame. 

Yes i remember one game when Ogden played with a bad leg.
Nelson got pancacked that is for sure.

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Should’ve took Darnold. 

I know this forum was high on Jeffrey Simmons, so I thought they'd get a kick out of it. I just hate that him along with Jurell Casey will fortify that D-line for them. 

Time to get some game wreckers for ourselves on the D-line in the draft.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

This one is obviously making its rounds among Titans' fans, obviously:

Did this happen often enough in the Colts game vs the Titans? I haven't watched the All 22, so if anyone can give their thoughts, it would be appreciated.

Bitty everybody ON THIS FORUM brought up Simmons off the field crap remember? ESPN unprofessionally dropped a video when the young Simmons was drafted. Airing out Simmons dirty laundry on national TV. Remember?

Everyone said oh no, we don't want any part of XYZ on my team. Lol 

The way Nelson sets up in Pass Pro is different than most, and it’s only because he’s so powerful and has amazing technique. However, for a split second before he gets set, he’s vulnerable. If anything, this is a positive for Simmons, as it shows how quick he was to explode off the snap and immediately engage, rather than Q just getting overpowered. It’ll happen from time to time though. When Q gets set, he’s the best in the league and the only one who does what he does. If the defender gets there first, and they are as powerful as Simmons, it’s going to happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

This one is obviously making its rounds among Titans' fans, obviously:

Did this happen often enough in the Colts game vs the Titans? I haven't watched the All 22, so if anyone can give their thoughts, it would be appreciated.

No, it didn't happen often and you can see that Kelly's right foot gets behind Q's left foot so he could not step back.

Still took him 3 seconds to get around Q.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

oh I believe it! we can only hope if we are stuck in this QB purgatory I'll be depressed haha

Be prepared to be depressed, I already I am and expect JB to be the QB again at least for next year. Here is something to cheer you up:

Since in Indianapolis (1984, 84-2019 36 seasons)

12 Divisional Round appearances - 1987, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2018

5 AFC Title Game appearances - 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014

2 SB appearances - 2006, 2009

1 SB Championship - 2006 (that is what makes us an elite franchise factoring in all the other great wins).

-Hey man when you get down or depressed, just go to youtube and watch all the great wins we have had over the last 33 years :thmup:. It started with Dickerson in 1987, then we had the likes of Harbaugh, Peyton, and Luck. We have been lucky to witness a bunch of great times. We never cheated either like the Pats have to get our success.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Bitty everybody ON THIS FORUM brought up Simmons off the field crap remember? ESPN unprofessionally dropped a video when the young Simmons was drafted. Airing out Simmons dirty laundry on national TV. Remember?

Not sure what this has to do with anything.  But I also want to point out, that I was one that wanted Simmons and said so in multiple threads (I think I even had the Colts picking him in the 2nd round on the draft contest).  So you're "everybody" and "Everyone" comments do not apply.

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Be prepared to be depressed, I already I am and expect JB to be the QB again at least for next year. Here is something to cheer you up:

Since in Indianapolis (1984, 84-2019 36 seasons)

12 Divisional Round appearances - 1987, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2018

5 AFC Title Game appearances - 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014

2 SB appearances - 2006, 2009

1 SB Championship - 2006 (that is what makes us an elite franchise factoring in all the other great wins).

-Hey man when you get down or depressed, just go to youtube and watch all the great wins we have had over the last 33 years :thmup:. It started with Dickerson in 1987, then we had the likes of Harbaugh, Peyton, and Luck. We have been lucky to witness a bunch of great times. We never cheated either like the Pats have to get our success.

as long as we draft someone I wont be lol if its just JB then yeah that's sad lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

As ever your sensationlism of the hindsight is wonderfully amusing. 

I think the vast majority of concern pre draft was about his knee injury not his personality.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

Nelson's officially a bust! We should have drafted Bradley Chubb - who according to Brad Wells - is Bruce Smith.

Chubb went 5th so we couldn't draft him, I get your sarcasm though. In that draft I wanted Barkley (he went 2nd) but Nelson was my 2nd choice, Chubb was my 3rd choice. All 3 players are legit IMO. 

Then again we could've took Sam 'the seeing ghosts' Darnold at #3 had we not traded down will ferrell lol GIF, overall I am happy with Nelson. Our O.Line is the best part of our team.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chubb went 5th so we couldn't draft him, I get you sarcasm though. In that draft I wanted Barkley (he went 2nd) but Nelson was my 2nd choice, Chubb was my 3rd choice. All 3 players are legit IMO. 

Then again we could've took Sam 'the seeing ghosts' Darnold at #3 had we not traded down will ferrell lol GIF, overall I am happy with Nelson. Our O.Line is the best part of our team.

Being honest I was in favour of a trade down at the time. Nelson has proven then idea wrong so far and I couldn’t be happier. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Being honest I was in favour of a trade down at the time. Nelson has proven then idea wrong so far and I couldn’t be happier. 

From comments CB said before the draft, I did not think they would take Nelson (he talked about starting quality guards being available in the 2nd and 3rd round).  But man, am I glad he did.

• Like 3

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Oh I agree. I felt like Luck either needed the next Barry Sanders or a lineman that could protect him on a consistent basis. To me Nelson looked like the best O.Lineman I have seen coming out since Larry Allen. I loved the pick. Chubb looked good but not great to me, JMO. Had Nelson been gone I would've went Chubb though. I knew Barkley would be gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not sure what this has to do with anything.  But I also want to point out, that I was one that wanted Simmons and said so in multiple threads (I think I even had the Colts picking him in the 2nd round on the draft contest).  So you're "everybody" and "Everyone" comments do not apply.

If it wasn't you, then what do you have to worry/say about? "If the shoe fits, wear it" if it don't then don't.

But "they" know who was against picking up Simmons. But hey, what do I know? You will see that I say alot of cold hard truth which never seems popular. So much so that once it reveil itself as truth (come to light), I get banned for not being "politically correct". 

Btw, here is another truth which wasn't popular, that kid Lamar Jackson... He will be problems for years to come. Oh and that same kind of dual threat QB which wasn't so popular with kids such as Bridgewater, now we see Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, those will be the $150 million dollar QBs that every team will want. Don't hate the messenger/player...hate the game.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I know this forum was high on Jeffrey Simmons, so I thought they'd get a kick out of it. I just hate that him along with Jurell Casey will fortify that D-line for them. 

Time to get some game wreckers for ourselves on the D-line in the draft.

Once we get a great DT we will have a wrecking crew on the DL as well with Turay coming back, Banogu developing, Houston's leadership, and Sheard's ability to set the edge. 

Imagine these DEs and LBs getting more freed up when adding a play like a Javon Kinlaw or Marvin Wilson in the draft. 

49 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

It wasnt even that good of a play by Simmons

He didn't really get close to Brissett.  Q got knocked over, but Brissett still had a good amount of time to throw.

34 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

From comments CB said before the draft, I did not think they would take Nelson (he talked about starting quality guards being available in the 2nd and 3rd round).  But man, am I glad he did.

He did get a starting quality OG in Round 2.... it just so happened that Braden Smith got moved to RT, where he has done (for the most part) very well.  I, personally, would still love to see us get a more natural RT and move Braden back to RG (as I think Glowinski is currently the weakest link on the OL).

Let's keep in mind, our OL was one of the worst in the league, and after that draft our OL is now regarded as one of the better ones in the league.  And I think it's widely accepted that Q is one of the best (if not the best) OG in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

He didn't really get close to Brissett.  Q got knocked over, but Brissett still had a good amount of time to throw.

He did get a starting quality OG in Round 2.... it just so happened that Braden Smith got moved to RT, where he has done (for the most part) very well.  I, personally, would still love to see us get a more natural RT and move Braden back to RG (as I think Glowinski is currently the weakest link on the OL).

Let's keep in mind, our OL was one of the worst in the league, and after that draft our OL is now regarded as one of the better ones in the league.  And I think it's widely accepted that Q is one of the best (if not the best) OG in the NFL.

I agree, I'm not saying he was wrong.  I'm just saying I drew the wrong conclusion based on that statement from CB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Ballard takes a QB in round 2 but that is just a guess. I think we go DT with 1st pick. We need a WR too that is just a difference maker, we have none when TY is out. 

I would love that. My dream scenario is that we land DT Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw round 1, get QB Jordan Love early round 2, and then land WR Tyler Johnson with the other 2nd round pick. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

If it wasn't you, then what do you have to worry/say about? "If the shoe fits, wear it" if it don't then don't.

because you said everyone and every body.  That included me, so that was an incorrect statement by you.

But "they" know who was against picking up Simmons. But hey, what do I know? You will see that I say alot of cold hard truth which never seems popular. So much so that once it reveil itself as truth (come to light), I get banned for not being "politically correct". 

I see you say a lot of nonsense.

Btw, here is another truth which wasn't popular, that kid Lamar Jackson... He will be problems for years to come. Oh and that same kind of dual threat QB which wasn't so popular with kids such as Bridgewater, now we see Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, those will be the $150 million dollar QBs that every team will want. Don't hate the messenger/player...hate the game.

Wow, you are as bad as some other posters about chaging the subject.  But I will play, Mahomes and Jackson are not similar QBs at all.  Jackson is having a great year no doubt, it's yet to be determined if he will causes problems for years to come.