Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams in Need of a QB

Since it seems to be a general consensus that we will be looking for a future QB, I figured it would be a good idea to have thread on teams that we feel will be vying for a QB with us during the off-season. These teams are in no particular order: 

Cincinnati Bengals: Finley was not the answer to Dalton's decline. Even worse, they may be looking for a head coach when it is all said and done. 

Miami Dolphins: The entire team needs an overhaul, and that will start with a starter QB. Fitzmagic is only meant to be a bridge to the future and Rosen will be used to gather more ammunition. 

Denver Broncos: Do the Broncos have enough time to find out if Drew Lock is their savior? John Elway has been consistently trying to find an answer after Manning. 

Carolina Panthers: Newton is having surgery and most likely is done. Kyle Allen has not shown the franchise that he is capable of being a starter on a regular basis. 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell hits free agency this year. While the Bears are finally above .500, their QB has caused too many mistakes. 

Atlanta Falcons: Since their Super Bowl run, they have been in steep decline. A reboot is on the horizon, and Ryan might be shopped around.  

New York Giants: They gave up on the Daniel Jones experiment and handed the reins back to Manning. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Has Bruce Ariens seen enough of Winston? It would be hard to imagine the Bucs not searching elsewhere for a franchise QB. 

Bonus Round 

New England Patriots: Tom most likely is returning, but there's always that chance he decides to retire. The Patriots also like drafting and grooming QBs nearly every year. 

New Orleans Saints: Drew Brees becomes a free agent this year. Realistically if he wins that coveted 2nd ring he could walk away from the game. Do they stick with Bridgewater for the long term? 

Oakland / Las Vegas Raiders: It's entirely possible that the Raiders will try and trade Carr for more picks. Remember that Gruden and Co. parted ways with Mack fairly quickly. No one is safe in this organization. 

Los Angeles Chargers: Rivers will become a free agent once the season ends and the Chargers will be in position to grab a young QB in the draft this year. Decisions, decisions...

I'm sure there's more that could enter the market. These things can be so unpredictable. But I figured this would be a fun way to reference who we might be fighting with come January / February. 

1. I think the Bears sign Trubisky for another 3 years because Matt Nagy believes in him a lot.

2. Broncos like what they see in Drew Lock and will give him a couple of years.

3. Giants did not give up on Daniel Jones, he has a high ankle sprain due to which Eli is starting, he is their future QB.

4. Panthers most likely might franchise Cam Newton for 1 year because they have seen his ceiling, when given a good O-line, that he could get them to the SB, you just don't give up on that quickly. But they will draft a QB.

5. Winston will be franchised and they will draft a QB.

6. Carr won't be gone but they will draft a QB.

7. Rivers won't be gone but they will draft a QB.

8. Tom Brady and Drew Brees are not going anywhere, Bridgewater will be re-signed for another 2-3 years, IMO close to $10-12 mil. a year making him the highest paid backup QB.

9. Brissett will stay and they will draft a QB.

10. Cowboys will sign Prescott to a new contract but fire a lot of coaches.

Outside the obvious Bengals and Dolphins, I have 5 other teams I believe will draft a QB - Panthers, Bucs, Raiders, Chargers and Colts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Outside the obvious Bengals and Dolphins, I have 5 other teams I believe will draft a QB - Panthers, Bucs, Raiders, Chargers and Colts. 

Agreed.  I think all could very well end up drafting ahead of the Colts, least likely the Raiders.

Those teams are in the same boat we are, have a guy for next year, but want a guy for the future.  It seems we'd need to pick ours in the first or with the Skins pick if we're ok with not having the 5th year option.

I think the bears will stick with Mitch. He has showed enough the last two weeks. Denver has lock. They will nor be looking for a QB. Here is ny list.

Miami

Bengals

chargers

I can see the pats moving up.

panthers

oakland might wait but they might draft one later in the draft to compete with Carr

Some of these teams might decide to get other pieces and wait until later in the draft. We don’t wont be able  to move up much if those teams all take QB.

21 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Since it seems to be a general consensus that we will be looking for a future QB, I figured it would be a good idea to have thread on teams that we feel will be vying for a QB with us during the off-season. These teams are in no particular order: 

Cincinnati Bengals: Finley was not the answer to Dalton's decline. Even worse, they may be looking for a head coach when it is all said and done. 

Miami Dolphins: The entire team needs an overhaul, and that will start with a starter QB. Fitzmagic is only meant to be a bridge to the future and Rosen will be used to gather more ammunition. 

Denver Broncos: Do the Broncos have enough time to find out if Drew Lock is their savior? John Elway has been consistently trying to find an answer after Manning. 

Carolina Panthers: Newton is having surgery and most likely is done. Kyle Allen has not shown the franchise that he is capable of being a starter on a regular basis. 

Chicago Bears: Mitchell hits free agency this year. While the Bears are finally above .500, their QB has caused too many mistakes. 

Atlanta Falcons: Since their Super Bowl run, they have been in steep decline. A reboot is on the horizon, and Ryan might be shopped around.  

New York Giants: They gave up on the Daniel Jones experiment and handed the reins back to Manning. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Has Bruce Ariens seen enough of Winston? It would be hard to imagine the Bucs not searching elsewhere for a franchise QB. 

Bonus Round 

New England Patriots: Tom most likely is returning, but there's always that chance he decides to retire. The Patriots also like drafting and grooming QBs nearly every year. 

New Orleans Saints: Drew Brees becomes a free agent this year. Realistically if he wins that coveted 2nd ring he could walk away from the game. Do they stick with Bridgewater for the long term? 

Oakland / Las Vegas Raiders: It's entirely possible that the Raiders will try and trade Carr for more picks. Remember that Gruden and Co. parted ways with Mack fairly quickly. No one is safe in this organization. 

Los Angeles Chargers: Rivers will become a free agent once the season ends and the Chargers will be in position to grab a young QB in the draft this year. Decisions, decisions...

I'm sure there's more that could enter the market. These things can be so unpredictable. But I figured this would be a fun way to reference who we might be fighting with come January / February. 

Dear God no about the Manning quote getting his job back.  They haven't given up on Jones...

• Thanks 1

I don’t see enough QB to go around this year. Colts will be lucky if love even lasts with the way some of these QB have looked. I bet Fromm stays in school. Heck Love might even transafer. 

If I was the bengals I would trade that number pick for more picks and try and get my QB next year. Burrow is going to be great but they need a ton of other positions..

Crazy stat I heard if Burrow wins the Heisman and Lamar wins MVP the Heisman winner will be older then the NFL MVP.

No Brainer

Bengals (projected #1 pick) -If they don't take Burrow, they'll have sunk to a new low... And that's really low being it's the Bengals.

Probably/Maybe

Miami (projected #4 pick, 22, and 25) - Needs one, but they have a lot of holes, and a lot of picks. Fitzmagic is also sitting in the top 10 of QBRs right now. Why take Tua this year knowing he has to sit out a year, when you can lose-for-Lawrence next year if needed. Assuming Cinci takes Burrow, their best option for "now" might be Herbert. I could also see them using all that draft capital to trade back (and into next year), or use to fill holes and perhaps take a gamble on a guy like Winston or Newton for a year to see if they can turn things around. They have enough draft capital to do whatever they want this year or next.

Chargers (9) - If Herbert is available to them, I think they pull the trigger. Maybe Tua as they have the ability to be patient.

Coin Flip

Carolina (12) - Tough call. I think they stay with Cam with the new coaches. If they do go in another direction, Cam will get a job somewhere.

Tampa Bay (14) - This is another tough call. If you clean up his INTs, he's pretty good. If they improved their pass D, they wouldn't need Winston to do so much. Winston would probably get a shot with someone who thinks they can coach his decision making.

Indy Colts (17) - I think Irsay forces the issue. Colts have the draft capital to move up to #4 without digging into next year's pick if they really wanted to move up. Likely picking in the top 4-5 of the second, they could take a shot there too if they want to gamble. A lot of options...

Doubt it, but you never know

Denver (11) - I think they will stay with their QB drafted last year. They need a lot of other things and could actually see them trading back.

New Orleans - (28) - Brees turning it on nicely after shaking the rust off. He is old though. If the right guy is available late like Love, you never know.

New England (29) - I think they like Stidham. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a QB late if a guy like Love is available. They need WR, TE, and OL more than anything.

No QB

NYG (2) - Jones is their guy

WAS (3) - Doubt they are giving up on Haskins

ATL (5) - No way they part ways with Ryan

DET (6) - Stafford was top 10 QBR before getting dinged up

ARI - (7) - Murray is #11 QBR and coming along

NYJ - (8) - Not giving up on Darnold 

JAX - (10+20) - It's messy, but no need to add to the mess

PHI - (13) - Wentz isn't going anywhere

CLE - (15) - They need a new coach, not a new QB

RAI - (16+18) - Carr is playing pretty well (13th QBR)

TEN - (19) - Playing well with Tannehill

DAL - (20) - they need to resign theirs.. 

MIN - (23) - Cousins playing well

KAN - (24) - duh

BUF - (26) - Not sold on their QB, but they're not done with him yet

GB - (27) - duh

SF - (30) - Jimmy isn't a star, but he is improving, and managing well

BAL - (31) - duh

SEA - (32) - duh

CHI - Doesn't have a draft pick in the first. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see enough QB to go around this year. Colts will be lucky if love even lasts with the way some of these QB have looked. I bet Fromm stays in school. Heck Love might even transafer. 

If I was the bengals I would trade that number pick for more picks and try and get my QB next year. Burrow is going to be great but they need a ton of other positions..

Crazy stat I heard if Burrow wins the Heisman and Lamar wins MVP the Heisman winner will be older then the NFL MVP.

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

One team no one mentioned is the Steelers. Rudolph has not looked like a starting QB. If they have a chance to draft one of the top QBs, they should. 

Edit: They gave up next year's 1st round pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick. So, it is unlikely that they'll have a chance to draft a top QB. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No Brainer

Bengals (projected #1 pick) -If they don't take Burrow, they'll have sunk to a new low... And that's really low being it's the Bengals

He is playing great. He is an Ohio kid. It is indeed a no-brainer for the Bengals.

• Like 4

Now that Rap sheet has reported that the Panthers will be listening to offers for Cam I can see Ballard being very interested.  He was building his team around Luck and he left us.  Cam would be the replacement that is very similar to Luck.  With a new coach I can see the Panthers rebuilding.  With Newton and our OL I could see the Colts getting back on track quickly and our 1st should get him to the Colts.  It's an option that I wouldn't have thought would be there but now that it's been reported it's probably one that should be evaluated when we see where we will be drafting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The Giants gave not given up on Daniel Jones.   He’s hurt.   A high ankle sprain,

all in all, I think the Giants have been very pleased with Jones. 

How does this happen here?

Me being a fool is how it happens. I fully take responsibility for my incompetence.

You're absolutely right about Jones. They will stick with him long term. 

And I think Drew Lock is really showing promise for Elway after going to the Texans home and smacking them around. 

I think a lot of teams have found their starter for the future, but that doesn't mean they won't still be looking if they see someone they like, even just for backup purposes. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t think there are enough QB that can be franchise guys to give all the teams the QB they are looking for. Maybe some teams make moves before the draft for a FA.

Right now we are sitting at 14. I think we will probably stay right there because a lot of these teams are just bad.

Some team might fill a void with a guy like Newton.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Now that Rap sheet has reported that the Panthers will be listening to offers for Cam I can see Ballard being very interested.  He was building his team around Luck and he left us.  Cam would be the replacement that is very similar to Luck.  With a new coach I can see the Panthers rebuilding.  With Newton and our OL I could see the Colts getting back on track quickly and our 1st should get him to the Colts.  It's an option that I wouldn't have thought would be there but now that it's been reported it's probably one that should be evaluated when we see where we will be drafting. 

Don’t let B/R play with your head. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm trusting Ballard is smarter than that.

5 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm trusting Ballard is smarter than that.

My initial thought is Ballard would never do it but again he is a proven Franchise QB.  He's about the same age as Luck.  He's had his share of injuries like Luck.  He would most likely flourish behind our OL as Luck did.  His contract would not be a problem for us either.  He can put his team on his shoulders like Luck.  Bottom line he has many of the same attributes as Luck.  That said I have never been a fan of Cam primarily because of his show boating look at me personality.  I would think his style might be a problem in Indy but you never know.  Winning solves a lot of that.  He would be an interesting option if Ballard thought the best way to get back on track was to acquire a veteran.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My initial thought is Ballard would never do it but again he is a proven Franchise QB.  He's about the same age as Luck.  He's had his share of injuries like Luck.  He would most likely flourish behind our OL as Luck did.  His contract would not be a problem for us either.  He can put his team on his shoulders like Luck.  Bottom line he has many of the same attributes as Luck.  That said I have never been a fan of Cam primarily because of his show boating look at me personality.  I would think his style might be a problem in Indy but you never know.  Winning solves a lot of that.  He would be an interesting option if Ballard thought the best way to get back on track was to acquire a veteran.  

The whole bad example of a leader thing eliminates him for me.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would take him over Brissett for sure, but I'm not sure how much I trust Cam without his top notch running ability.   

I hope to god they dont spend anything to get broke down Cam Newton, that's a horrible move imo. I'm sure he's better than Brissett, but a lot of dudes are. I say either draft a guy or look for a better QB in FA. I really like Jalen Hurts with the way the league is moving towards mobile quarterbacks that can still throw, and he will be available with probably either of our 2nds, leaving us our 1st to improve another position. Something like 1-DT/OL 2a-Hurts 2b-WR 3-BPA of need 

On 12/6/2019 at 7:57 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I think the bears will stick with Mitch. He has showed enough the last two weeks. Denver has lock. They will nor be looking for a QB. Here is ny list.

Miami

Bengals

chargers

I can see the pats moving up.

panthers

oakland might wait but they might draft one later in the draft to compete with Carr

Some of these teams might decide to get other pieces and wait until later in the draft. We don’t wont be able  to move up much if those teams all take QB.

Add colts to the list.

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I hope to god they dont spend anything to get broke down Cam Newton, that's a horrible move imo. I'm sure he's better than Brissett, but a lot of dudes are. I say either draft a guy or look for a better QB in FA. I really like Jalen Hurts with the way the league is moving towards mobile quarterbacks that can still throw, and he will be available with probably either of our 2nds, leaving us our 1st to improve another position. Something like 1-DT/OL 2a-Hurts 2b-WR 3-BPA of need 

But he really can't. Don't let his play in the B12 fool you. He got ousted in Alabama because he couldn't pass, Alabama went full pro-style for Tua, and the rest was history for Jalen. He plays in a predominantly spread/first read offense, and if his running lanes aren't there right away, everything goes down hill for him. Mobile QB's help, but it's still a heavy pocket passing league, and I don't think many teams are going to rebuild their offensive schemes for this guy. He will more than likely have to adapt to a pro-style offense, and that's where I think his value drops off immensely. 

LSU, like Georgia 2 years ago, is going to expose him IMO.. 

Carolina will not be getting rid of Newton, with a new head coach that i am sure will be brought in that will work with Cams strengths, it would be foolish of them to get rid of once MVP player. Tampa wont be getting rid of Winston, especially not after it has came out that the GM has a burner account on twitter where he does nothing but defend him, and wrote a 400 page book going on about him (incredibly insane). Pittsburgh has something in Ducky Hodges, I really think the Saints stick with Teddy. The only one I don't have a good idea about is the Chargers.     

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Carolina will not be getting rid of Newton, with a new head coach that i am sure will be brought in that will work with Cams strengths, it would be foolish of them to get rid of once MVP player. Tampa wont be getting rid of Winston, especially not after it has came out that the GM has a burner account on twitter where he does nothing but defend him, and wrote a 400 page book going on about him (incredibly insane). Pittsburgh has something in Ducky Hodges, I really think the Saints stick with Teddy. The only one I don't have a good idea about is the Chargers.     

I don't think Cams act plays well with their new owner.  After all when he fired Rivera he stated he wanted to put his stamp on the team.  To me that includes Cam.  I think they will go rebuild and trade him.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think Cams act plays well with their new owner.  After all when he fired Rivera he stated he wanted to put his stamp on the team.  To me that includes Cam.  I think they will go rebuild and trade him.

I don't know, the success of baltimore is going to have an impact of a lot of teams in wanting to try the same thing. To me they haven't done Cam any favors with the play calling the past few years and if they brought somebody in to take advantage of a good RPO with CMC and Cam i have a hard time believing they would be easy to stop. Of course it does kinda depend on how much of a diva Cam wants to be after coming back from injury with a new head coach.

1 minute ago, JMichael557 said:

What would it talk to get Burrows? If you are cincy would 3 firsts and the second get it done? 

I'm not sure if there are enough picks to get them to budge. Burrow has had one of the best passing years for a QB i have ever seen and will be the heisman winner. They need a QB more than anything else. Barring something freaky no way Burrow doesn't end up a Bengal.

6 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

What would it talk to get Burrows? If you are cincy would 3 firsts and the second get it done? 

Way more than a team should logically spend. 

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm not sure if there are enough picks to get them to budge. Burrow has had one of the best passing years for a QB i have ever seen and will be the heisman winner. They need a QB more than anything else. Barring something freaky no way Burrow doesn't end up a Bengal.

Yes. He set the SEC Single Season Passing TD record, and has like 4400 yards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I don't know, the success of baltimore is going to have an impact of a lot of teams in wanting to try the same thing. To me they haven't done Cam any favors with the play calling the past few years and if they brought somebody in to take advantage of a good RPO with CMC and Cam i have a hard time believing they would be easy to stop. Of course it does kinda depend on how much of a diva Cam wants to be after coming back from injury with a new head coach.

Rap sheet has reported they will be shopping him and he's pretty reliable.  Wouldn't it be something if he comes to the Colts and reunites with Funchess.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Rap sheet has reported they will be shopping him and he's pretty reliable.  Wouldn't it be something if he comes to the Colts and reunites with Funchess.  

It would be tragic! 

However, I don’t believe Ballard is that stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, J@son said:

I know I"m going to regret this, but what does that mean?

They should of did what Miami did. You trade away your best players and get draft picks. They have the number one pick but that’s it. If they would of traded some of their best players they might have additional first or second round picks. I don’t know though if the bengals have the players Miami has though that could of got them some number one picks.