Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
John Hammonds

2016 Lindy's review of Brissett

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know this post will probably wind up getting folded in with another thread, but I was so wow'ed, that I had to share.

I still have my 2016 Lindy's Draft Guide.  Here is their evaluation of JB:

 

Jacoby Brissett, NC State  6-4, 236  projected 4th round

In Our View:  Brissett sat out the 2013 season as a transfer from Florida and earned the starting job in '14, opening eyes with his performance against Florida State as NC State almost pulled the upset.  He finished the 2014 season with 26 total touchdowns (23 passing, three rushing), 2,606 passing yards and only five interceptions.  Set career-bests in 2015 with 237 completions and 2,662 passing yards, earning All-ACC honorable mention and a spot on the Senior Bowl roster.

Brissett is well-built with physical traits for the next level with size, mobility and arm talent.  He can make NFL throws, but is also slow to read and showed gun-shy tendencies as a downfield thrower -- was the king of dink-and-dunk passes and checkdowns inflated his completion percentage.  Will get a chance as a backup but short of major improvement as a downfield passer that's his ceiling.

Strengths:  Built for the NFL with a filled-out frame.  Has some Houdini to him with his mobility and physicality to brush off contact and keep plays alive.  Natural body power in short-yardage situations (902 career rushing yards).  Functional movement in the pocket and square to his target to deliver on the run.  Strong arm to spin spirals and can execute the entire route tree.  Understands touch, controlling his ball speed to add juice or trajectory.  Experienced making decisions in NFL-style offense, anticipating windows and reading coverage.  Tough and durable.  Takes care of the ball with a career 45-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Weaknesses:  Not confident as a downfield thrower; inconsistent with deep ball accuracy.  Too comfortable throwing on the run or delivering with his momentum going backwards.  Shaky platform and needs to set his base when given the time.  Inconsistent footwork leads to inaccurate ball placement (59.5 percent career completion percentage).  Low career interception numbers because he is too careful, not consistently pushing the ball downfield or fitting throws into tight windows.  Not an explosive athlete and tends to be indecisive on non-designed runs.  Doesn't understand how to use his eyes, leading defenders with late throws.  Pressure disrupts his tempo and late to climb the pocket.

 

Is there anything in there that isn't still true, 3 years later?

Sill the same YUP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Too bad we don't have a real QB like Dak Prescott. 

 

Just think of what our record would be. (sarcasm)

 

Or we could....think about what our record would be like with a stable of WR's, our #1 RB and a FG kicker who isn't struggling, and is also behind a struggling ST unit?

 

A football team is a team. Yes, the QB has the biggest effect on a team overall, but other positions are extremely important. So, why point a finger at one part? What is the drive for that?

 

It is a fact that transcendent QB's are rare. If one guessed that there are roughly 12 QB's selected per/year. In 10 years that makes 120 QB's. Know how many of them have led their team to a SB in the last 10 years?

 

Two.

 

That is a 1.6% success rate. 

 

If you think Dak Prescott is a "real QB" then you are following the wrong sport.  Deshaun Watson is an example of a "real QB".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know this post will probably wind up getting folded in with another thread, but I was so wow'ed, that I had to share.

I still have my 2016 Lindy's Draft Guide.  Here is their evaluation of JB:

 

Jacoby Brissett, NC State  6-4, 236  projected 4th round

In Our View:  Brissett sat out the 2013 season as a transfer from Florida and earned the starting job in '14, opening eyes with his performance against Florida State as NC State almost pulled the upset.  He finished the 2014 season with 26 total touchdowns (23 passing, three rushing), 2,606 passing yards and only five interceptions.  Set career-bests in 2015 with 237 completions and 2,662 passing yards, earning All-ACC honorable mention and a spot on the Senior Bowl roster.

Brissett is well-built with physical traits for the next level with size, mobility and arm talent.  He can make NFL throws, but is also slow to read and showed gun-shy tendencies as a downfield thrower -- was the king of dink-and-dunk passes and checkdowns inflated his completion percentage.  Will get a chance as a backup but short of major improvement as a downfield passer that's his ceiling.

Strengths:  Built for the NFL with a filled-out frame.  Has some Houdini to him with his mobility and physicality to brush off contact and keep plays alive.  Natural body power in short-yardage situations (902 career rushing yards).  Functional movement in the pocket and square to his target to deliver on the run.  Strong arm to spin spirals and can execute the entire route tree.  Understands touch, controlling his ball speed to add juice or trajectory.  Experienced making decisions in NFL-style offense, anticipating windows and reading coverage.  Tough and durable.  Takes care of the ball with a career 45-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Weaknesses:  Not confident as a downfield thrower; inconsistent with deep ball accuracy.  Too comfortable throwing on the run or delivering with his momentum going backwards.  Shaky platform and needs to set his base when given the time.  Inconsistent footwork leads to inaccurate ball placement (59.5 percent career completion percentage).  Low career interception numbers because he is too careful, not consistently pushing the ball downfield or fitting throws into tight windows.  Not an explosive athlete and tends to be indecisive on non-designed runs.  Doesn't understand how to use his eyes, leading defenders with late throws.  Pressure disrupts his tempo and late to climb the pocket.

 

Is there anything in there that isn't still true, 3 years later?

That's a really good eval.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think everyone need to realize he will at least be the QB in 2020. I also disagree that it is hard to find a good QB, which JB is. It is very hard to find a GREAT QB. 
 

I just think everyone shouldn’t be shocked if Ballard continues to build around JB as QB. Aka get more weapons. He has always said the team is not about one player. This doesn’t mean he won’t take a QB, but won’t take one if he has a player rated higher than QB. 
 

it will be an interesting offseason. 

He is not a good starting quarterback he's a good backup 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Until you can prove otherwise, JB is taking us nowhere.  

He can take us from 9-7 to 7-9 year after year after year.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Parcells did not know him at first. He followed his career since he was young and began going to his games and then they became friends. I read s New York Times article about he and Parcells. They mentioned that parcells doesn’t normally emote such praise over a football player and yet he compared him to Curtis Martin and a few of his favorites. Now that’s not normal stuff like you are saying. FR and CB were doing the same thing while Luck was still with us and I noticed that it was odd that they did it for a backup QB. When asked about Luck they would mention his talent, but CB often went the “we aren’t about 1 person “ route. We are building a team.  I think it’s a noticeable difference and I thought that all along. J read every article Colts. Com puts out. So I do not think it’s just a song and dance act in his case. They may still draft a QB which would be smart anyway, but I don’t think they necessarily grade him exactly the way most fans are right now. They treat Vinny the same way. By the way. They put the onus on the entire team when JB or Vinny is criticized. IDK. They may not replace JB so quickly as many think.

BTW, it was NYP, and I read it too (and a few others). He's known him personally since he was 15. His comparisons to Martin and others was in "leadership". 

 

In terms of FR and CB, I think you have to look at the entire situation. CB got JB to come in as a stop game while Luck was out. He was thrown in to a tough situation not only leading a team, but knowing he'd be replaced when Luck came back. Then Luck retires at the last minute this year.

 

Given all that, it's not to much of a stretch to expect a lot of "coach speak" with all the ups and downs of the situation. I'm not saying JB is not a great leader, or good guy... just saying the situation itself is prime for confidence building with both the player and the fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Is there a group of people that work together to make sure someone as insignificant as Colin Kaepernick stays in the news?

 

Kap was not a good quarterback when he played (28-30 record as a starter, 3-16 his last two years).

He has been out of the NFL for 3 years... he has NOT gotten better in that time.

He is a cancer in the locker room

He is not a leader

He had his little media circus... excuse me, "workout".  And no team signed him.

 

If you want to idolize Kap for his political views and social stance, that's great.  But he is no longer a football player and no longer relevant in the NFL.

Sorry Coffeedrinker. This is my fault.  I forgot to add /sarcasm.  I really was just joking.  All those things you posted just shows how ridiculous mentioning is :p.  I don't know if JB is the long term solution,  but this year,  in its entirety,  has been painful to watch games.   Maybe once we are healthy on O it will be funner to watch.  I look forward to the day when Hilton, Campbell, and Fountain take the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've supported JB and the coaching staff this season, hoping for improvement from J.B, and trusting Frank in his evaluation of him.  I think I've been wrong on both accounts.

 

We have all read the excuses, injuries to our WR's, RB's, and his own injuries, but the fact remains he has not improved enough to be a starter in this league.

 

To be totally honest, the post game presser last week, changed my whole attitude about J.B.  To me, it was almost a carbon copy of Cam,  sorry but if you are the QB, and you lost, you don't come in with that kind of snarky attitude.  When you are one of the reasons we lost the game, you got to own up to it, I didn't get that reaction from him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ojsglove said:

I've supported JB and the coaching staff this season, hoping for improvement from J.B, and trusting Frank in his evaluation of him.  I think I've been wrong on both accounts.

 

We have all read the excuses, injuries to our WR's, RB's, and his own injuries, but the fact remains he has not improved enough to be a starter in this league.

 

To be totally honest, the post game presser last week, changed my whole attitude about J.B.  To me, it was almost a carbon copy of Cam,  sorry but if you are the QB, and you lost, you don't come in with that kind of snarky attitude.  When you are one of the reasons we lost the game, you got to own up to it, I didn't get that reaction from him. 

i didn't see the presser, I'm going to have to check it out now.  hopefully it was just frustration.  But that weaknesses thing, man, how good are NFL scouts?  makes me a bit nauseous, that's how good that weaknesses assessment is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 8:17 PM, John Hammonds said:

I know this post will probably wind up getting folded in with another thread, but I was so wow'ed, that I had to share.

I still have my 2016 Lindy's Draft Guide.  Here is their evaluation of JB:

 

Jacoby Brissett, NC State  6-4, 236  projected 4th round

In Our View:  Brissett sat out the 2013 season as a transfer from Florida and earned the starting job in '14, opening eyes with his performance against Florida State as NC State almost pulled the upset.  He finished the 2014 season with 26 total touchdowns (23 passing, three rushing), 2,606 passing yards and only five interceptions.  Set career-bests in 2015 with 237 completions and 2,662 passing yards, earning All-ACC honorable mention and a spot on the Senior Bowl roster.

Brissett is well-built with physical traits for the next level with size, mobility and arm talent.  He can make NFL throws, but is also slow to read and showed gun-shy tendencies as a downfield thrower -- was the king of dink-and-dunk passes and checkdowns inflated his completion percentage.  Will get a chance as a backup but short of major improvement as a downfield passer that's his ceiling.

Strengths:  Built for the NFL with a filled-out frame.  Has some Houdini to him with his mobility and physicality to brush off contact and keep plays alive.  Natural body power in short-yardage situations (902 career rushing yards).  Functional movement in the pocket and square to his target to deliver on the run.  Strong arm to spin spirals and can execute the entire route tree.  Understands touch, controlling his ball speed to add juice or trajectory.  Experienced making decisions in NFL-style offense, anticipating windows and reading coverage.  Tough and durable.  Takes care of the ball with a career 45-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Weaknesses:  Not confident as a downfield thrower; inconsistent with deep ball accuracy.  Too comfortable throwing on the run or delivering with his momentum going backwards.  Shaky platform and needs to set his base when given the time.  Inconsistent footwork leads to inaccurate ball placement (59.5 percent career completion percentage).  Low career interception numbers because he is too careful, not consistently pushing the ball downfield or fitting throws into tight windows.  Not an explosive athlete and tends to be indecisive on non-designed runs.  Doesn't understand how to use his eyes, leading defenders with late throws.  Pressure disrupts his tempo and late to climb the pocket.

 

Is there anything in there that isn't still true, 3 years later?

This might be the most spot on analysis I've ever seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 12:05 AM, compuls1v3 said:

Kaepernick made it to the Super Bowl already.  I think he's still available. 

would you actually sign that looser onto your football team? His Social injustice crap brainstormed by his Muslim girlfriend is more important than any team activities up to this point. I can see it now. Irsay parades first responders and military vets during a game and Kapernick is wearing cops are pigs socks with his uniform. He is olso washed up as a QB anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 10:46 PM, ojsglove said:

Got to admit the scouting report from 2016, is exactly what we are seeing this season.  We have a good defense, great oline, decent receivers, although currently depleted by injuries, suspect special teams, but soon to improve dramatically.  My fear is we spend another season evaluating JB, or draft a wonder boy who doesn't work out, and waste another season with the team we already have.

 

My hope is we sign a PROVEN, NFL QB, which it seems several will be available in the offseason, and take a shot at the ring.  This fanbase needs it.

I'm afraid we're probably stuck with The Brisket for the foreseeable future. There isn't a "proven" NFL QB on the FA list outside of a few guys -- namely Manning, Brees and Rivers -- who are in the twilight of their careers and more likely to retire than sign with the Colts. Aside from those three, the only name that stands out is Tannehill, and I doubt that the Titans are going to let him walk after what he's shown that he can do with a pretty good team around him. The rest of the names on that list are pretty much a bunch of Slappys. 

 

As much as it might pain us Colts fans to watch it, a good 2-14 meltdown next season could be the best thing to happen to this team since 2011. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 10:46 PM, ojsglove said:

Got to admit the scouting report from 2016, is exactly what we are seeing this season.  We have a good defense, great oline, decent receivers, although currently depleted by injuries, suspect special teams, but soon to improve dramatically.  My fear is we spend another season evaluating JB, or draft a wonder boy who doesn't work out, and waste another season with the team we already have.

 

My hope is we sign a PROVEN, NFL QB, which it seems several will be available in the offseason, and take a shot at the ring.  This fanbase needs it.

Any idea who we would sign? I would like a better QB than JB but who do you think would fill that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Any idea who we would sign? I would like a better QB than JB but who do you think would fill that?

Trade for Foles he is underatted and under appreciated. Him and Riech have a good relationship, we would be way better with him than Jacoby Beef Brisket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on

16 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Trade for Foles he is underatted and under appreciated. Him and Riech have a good relationship, we would be way better with him than Jacoby Beef Brisket.

lol foles is TRASH he’s already been benched again for the Jags.. he’s had some good games as have many other Qbs undeserving of starting but he isn’t any better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, will426 said:

on

lol foles is TRASH he’s already been benched again for the Jags.. he’s had some good games as have many other Qbs undeserving of starting but he isn’t any better

He was injured and the jags offensive line and scheme is garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

He was injured and the jags offensive line and scheme is garbage.

stop it he’s trash thier scheme is to run the ball with minshew and throw with foles..he looked BAD  he has never looked good a whole season just partially taking over he’s a journeyman and that is all via Ryan Fitz just with playoff wins and a ring. he hasn’t led a team himself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I'm afraid we're probably stuck with The Brisket for the foreseeable future. There isn't a "proven" NFL QB on the FA list outside of a few guys -- namely Manning, Brees and Rivers -- who are in the twilight of their careers and more likely to retire than sign with the Colts. Aside from those three, the only name that stands out is Tannehill, and I doubt that the Titans are going to let him walk after what he's shown that he can do with a pretty good team around him. The rest of the names on that list are pretty much a bunch of Slappys. 

 

As much as it might pain us Colts fans to watch it, a good 2-14 meltdown next season could be the best thing to happen to this team since 2011. 

 

Either of the three you mentioned, even though as you put it "in the twilight of their careers" are head and shoulders above the QB we trot out every week.  I think you could also add Matt Ryan to the list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ojsglove said:

 

Either of the three you mentioned, even though as you put it "in the twilight of their careers" are head and shoulders above the QB we trot out every week.  I think you could also add Matt Ryan to the list?

Ryan is under contract until 2024, at $30MM/year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...