Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016 Lindy's review of Brissett

John Hammonds

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

was the king of dink-and-dunk passes and checkdowns inflated his completion percentage.  Will get a chance as a backup but short of major improvement as a downfield   Low career interception numbers because he is too careful, not consistently pushing the ball downfield or fitting throws into tight windows

This part made sad because it still rings so true :( I still feel that he was pressing verses the Titans due to some of the outside chatter of his abilities. Going to be an interesting offseason for sure. 

Got to admit the scouting report from 2016, is exactly what we are seeing this season.  We have a good defense, great oline, decent receivers, although currently depleted by injuries, suspect special teams, but soon to improve dramatically.  My fear is we spend another season evaluating JB, or draft a wonder boy who doesn't work out, and waste another season with the team we already have.

My hope is we sign a PROVEN, NFL QB, which it seems several will be available in the offseason, and take a shot at the ring.  This fanbase needs it.

• Like 1

His NFL combine review is similar but I think a bit more positive. It was even a bit contradictory in areas. Lindy's is spot on though.  It's one of the reasons I simply can't buy into the "but he'll be better next year" narrative.

Here's the combine review of weakness

WEAKNESSES

Downward trajectory from over­-the­-top delivery causes some throws to sink. Has been severely pressured over last two seasons and developed bad habits because of it. Will drop eyes when he feels pressure and throws off his back foot as tools of survival. Occasionally muscles a back­foot throw despite having time to step and drive the ball. Still learning to calm feet and deliver rather than bail when defender is closing in. Carries ball low and away from body when scrambling. Has moments where he is oblivious to pre­-snap tells that blitz is coming off the edge. Needs to transition from always trying to fight through sacks to getting rid of the ball more quickly. Struggles with deep ball accuracy completing just 23.1 percent on attempts of 21-plus yards. Had several overthrows when tasked with deep throws down sideline versus man coverage. Failed to recognize receivers running wide open down the seam. Gets locked in on a pre­-snap plan and has issues altering his itinerary quickly.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Got to admit the scouting report from 2016, is exactly what we are seeing this season.  We have a good defense, great oline, decent receivers, although currently depleted by injuries, suspect special teams, but soon to improve dramatically.  My fear is we spend another season evaluating JB, or draft a wonder boy who doesn't work out, and waste another season with the team we already have.

My hope is we sign a PROVEN, NFL QB, which it seems several will be available in the offseason, and take a shot at the ring.  This fanbase needs it.

Kaepernick made it to the Super Bowl already.  I think he's still available. 

That could be written about him now.

What i see, is that his negatives should be fixable.

I think JB can be successful.  I think now you have to gameplan and script well to help him.  And i feel , in time, he can improve the down the field stuff.  
  He protects the ball, so with a good D he could be “the guy.”   But is he “the guy” for the Colts.

I’m not gonna bash JB.  I respect what he has done.  I just hope Reich/Ballard ate realistic in what he can be and if that is enough.  I dont have the expertise to know.  Heck, its a guess for Reich and Ballard.

I do, however, support drafting a QB (hopefully one with promise, not back-up ceiling quality) to compete and possibly be the future.

JB was thrust into a terrible position 2 years ago and he never complained.  In fact, all he did was gain the respect and faith of coaches and teamates.

Then, this year, he is thrust unexpectedly into following a “generational talent” that replaced a “goat” and once again, he handled it with class.  Now i agree i’d like to see more from him, but with the issues this tear its hard to tell whos to blame.

I’m not sure he’s the answer, bit i also think many QBs would have struggled here.  Look at how Brady is doing without receiver help.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

So why the love from Parcells, Reich and Ballard? Must be his personal character and leadership they like so much. They never talked about Luck that way...that I know of.

I truly believe the front office and Reich do want him to succeed. They would love a guy with is character and leadership to pilot this franchise for the next 10+ years. Sadly, I think he has reached his ceiling and  I think the Colts org privately know it as well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think JB can be successful.  I think now you have to gameplan and script well to help him.  And i feel , in time, he can improve the down the field stuff.  
  He protects the ball, so with a good D he could be “the guy.”   But is he “the guy” for the Colts.

I’m not gonna bash JB.  I respect what he has done.  I just hope Reich/Ballard ate realistic in what he can be and if that is enough.  I dont have the expertise to know.  Heck, its a guess for Reich and Ballard.

I do, however, support drafting a QB (hopefully one with promise, not back-up ceiling quality) to compete and possibly be the future.

JB was thrust into a terrible position 2 years ago and he never complained.  In fact, all he did was gain the respect and faith of coaches and teamates.

Then, this year, he is thrust unexpectedly into following a “generational talent” that replaced a “goat” and once again, he handled it with class.  Now i agree i’d like to see more from him, but with the issues this tear its hard to tell whos to blame.

I’m not sure he’s the answer, bit i also think many QBs would have struggled here.  Look at how Brady is doing without receiver help.

I agree with most of your post, not bashing JB at all, like you I have all the respect in the world for him.  He was put into a hard position, stepping in when Luck called it quits, but after watching him on game day, and reviewing the tapes of the games other forum members have posted in here, it seems obvious he has not improved much, if not at all.

Wow.  Like eerie wow.

But I still like what I saw in the Tennessee game (yes, even with the INT's).  For the first time in I don't know how long, he actually looked like an NFL qb going down field.  That's why I hope he doesn't back down because of those INT's.  Maybe it was a step forward to finally cut loose. 

33 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

So why the love from Parcells, Reich and Ballard? Must be his personal character and leadership they like so much. They never talked about Luck that way...that I know of.

He knew Parcells growing up, so a bit personal. Reich and Ballard are doing what any GM and coach would do/say given the timing of Luck's departure. You know the old song. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with, until you find another you love more.

As far as praise about Luck, I thought they praised him a lot, just differently. And they didn't have to praise Luck, or sell him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ojsglove said:

This again? I don't get where this idea comes from. Who is this "proven NFL QB" that's available(or will be)?

I am definitely in the replace JB camp, but I just don't see any proven NFL QBs that are available. There maybe someone unsuspected come free, but IMO none of the QBs who are generally considered available or likely to be this off season are worth going after.  Bridgewater, Dalton. Foles, Newton ... A couple are slightly better than JB, but not enough of an improvement to make it worth the investment. Might as well just keep JB for the last year of his deal while you roll the dice on a rookie if those are the "proven NFL QB" choices. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know this post will probably wind up getting folded in with another thread, but I was so wow'ed, that I had to share.

I still have my 2016 Lindy's Draft Guide.  Here is their evaluation of JB:

Jacoby Brissett, NC State  6-4, 236  projected 4th round

In Our View:  Brissett sat out the 2013 season as a transfer from Florida and earned the starting job in '14, opening eyes with his performance against Florida State as NC State almost pulled the upset.  He finished the 2014 season with 26 total touchdowns (23 passing, three rushing), 2,606 passing yards and only five interceptions.  Set career-bests in 2015 with 237 completions and 2,662 passing yards, earning All-ACC honorable mention and a spot on the Senior Bowl roster.

Brissett is well-built with physical traits for the next level with size, mobility and arm talent.  He can make NFL throws, but is also slow to read and showed gun-shy tendencies as a downfield thrower -- was the king of dink-and-dunk passes and checkdowns inflated his completion percentage.  Will get a chance as a backup but short of major improvement as a downfield passer that's his ceiling.

Strengths:  Built for the NFL with a filled-out frame.  Has some Houdini to him with his mobility and physicality to brush off contact and keep plays alive.  Natural body power in short-yardage situations (902 career rushing yards).  Functional movement in the pocket and square to his target to deliver on the run.  Strong arm to spin spirals and can execute the entire route tree.  Understands touch, controlling his ball speed to add juice or trajectory.  Experienced making decisions in NFL-style offense, anticipating windows and reading coverage.  Tough and durable.  Takes care of the ball with a career 45-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Weaknesses:  Not confident as a downfield thrower; inconsistent with deep ball accuracy.  Too comfortable throwing on the run or delivering with his momentum going backwards.  Shaky platform and needs to set his base when given the time.  Inconsistent footwork leads to inaccurate ball placement (59.5 percent career completion percentage).  Low career interception numbers because he is too careful, not consistently pushing the ball downfield or fitting throws into tight windows.  Not an explosive athlete and tends to be indecisive on non-designed runs.  Doesn't understand how to use his eyes, leading defenders with late throws.  Pressure disrupts his tempo and late to climb the pocket.

Is there anything in there that isn't still true, 3 years later?

Everything he wrote then, is still true today.

You simply are not going to win a SB with JB as a long term answer.

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

IF Ballard and Reich still think JB is the answer at this point, then we need to start thinking about who is running what at Colt world HQs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He knew Parcells growing up, so a bit personal. Reich and Ballard are doing what any GM and coach would do/say given the timing of Luck's departure. You know the old song. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with, until you find another you love more.

As far as praise about Luck, I thought they praised him a lot, just differently. And they didn't have to praise Luck, or sell him.

Parcells did not know him at first. He followed his career since he was young and began going to his games and then they became friends. I read s New York Times article about he and Parcells. They mentioned that parcells doesn’t normally emote such praise over a football player and yet he compared him to Curtis Martin and a few of his favorites. Now that’s not normal stuff like you are saying. FR and CB were doing the same thing while Luck was still with us and I noticed that it was odd that they did it for a backup QB. When asked about Luck they would mention his talent, but CB often went the “we aren’t about 1 person “ route. We are building a team.  I think it’s a noticeable difference and I thought that all along. J read every article Colts. Com puts out. So I do not think it’s just a song and dance act in his case. They may still draft a QB which would be smart anyway, but I don’t think they necessarily grade him exactly the way most fans are right now. They treat Vinny the same way. By the way. They put the onus on the entire team when JB or Vinny is criticized. IDK. They may not replace JB so quickly as many think.

33 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

will be interesting off season ,I think Ballard and Reich know he's not answer.But that's not a lock ,some teams are looking for decades.Sadly,brisett could be quarterback in 2020 because good quarterbacks are so hard to find .

I think everyone need to realize he will at least be the QB in 2020. I also disagree that it is hard to find a good QB, which JB is. It is very hard to find a GREAT QB. 

I just think everyone shouldn’t be shocked if Ballard continues to build around JB as QB. Aka get more weapons. He has always said the team is not about one player. This doesn’t mean he won’t take a QB, but won’t take one if he has a player rated higher than QB. 

it will be an interesting offseason. 

27 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think everyone need to realize he will at least be the QB in 2020. I also disagree that it is hard to find a good QB, which JB is. It is very hard to find a GREAT QB. 

I just think everyone shouldn’t be shocked if Ballard continues to build around JB as QB. Aka get more weapons. He has always said the team is not about one player. This doesn’t mean he won’t take a QB, but won’t take one if he has a player rated higher than QB. 

it will be an interesting offseason. 

Yes, JB will be QB in 2020 while a drafted QB will be groomed for a year. His downfield hesitancy, not sure if it truly can be overcome if it’s a mental thing. His anticipation and touch underneath for the 10-20 yard area however can be worked on. You can definitely win in the NFL if your anticipation and accuracy in the 10-20 yard range is at a high level.

Holding a clipboard never counts as true NFL starting QB experience for me. So JB would have just 2 true years under his belt. If we give a rookie QB 3 years of rope typically to show us what he can do with improvements across years, we should do the same with JB in 2020 while developing options for the future.

• Like 3

Well the steelers are making a playoff push with a qb from d3 Samford(Hodges). So this anti Kelly talk is actually nonsense. The steelers also play Banner on oline at times, their rb situation is in shambles, wr is in the same situation, last sunday they beat the browns with 2 wr's on the field they had just signed from other teams practice squads(Cain and Jones). And to top it off other than Minkah, their secondary is one of the absolute worst in the nfl. I will take this roster over the steelers any day. It's a joke we lost to the steelers and they are headed to the playoffs and we will be sitting at home. Come on, man

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know this post will probably wind up getting folded in with another thread, but I was so wow'ed, that I had to share.

In Our View:  Brissett sat out the 2013 season as a transfer from Florida and earned the starting job in '14, opening eyes with his performance against Florida State as NC State almost pulled the upset.  He finished the 2014 season with 26 total touchdowns (23 passing, three rushing), 2,606 passing yards and only five interceptions.  Set career-bests in 2015 with 237 completions and 2,662 passing yards, earning All-ACC honorable mention and a spot on the Senior Bowl roster.

Brissett is well-built with physical traits for the next level with size, mobility and arm talent.  He can make NFL throws, but is also slow to read and showed gun-shy tendencies as a downfield thrower -- was the king of dink-and-dunk passes and checkdowns inflated his completion percentage.  Will get a chance as a backup but short of major improvement as a downfield passer that's his ceiling.

Strengths:  Built for the NFL with a filled-out frame.  Has some Houdini to him with his mobility and physicality to brush off contact and keep plays alive.  Natural body power in short-yardage situations (902 career rushing yards).  Functional movement in the pocket and square to his target to deliver on the run.  Strong arm to spin spirals and can execute the entire route tree.  Understands touch, controlling his ball speed to add juice or trajectory.  Experienced making decisions in NFL-style offense, anticipating windows and reading coverage.  Tough and durable.  Takes care of the ball with a career 45-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Weaknesses:  Not confident as a downfield thrower; inconsistent with deep ball accuracy.  Too comfortable throwing on the run or delivering with his momentum going backwards.  Shaky platform and needs to set his base when given the time.  Inconsistent footwork leads to inaccurate ball placement (59.5 percent career completion percentage).  Low career interception numbers because he is too careful, not consistently pushing the ball downfield or fitting throws into tight windows.  Not an explosive athlete and tends to be indecisive on non-designed runs.  Doesn't understand how to use his eyes, leading defenders with late throws.  Pressure disrupts his tempo and late to climb the pocket.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=4232665

8 hours ago, cbear said:

Wow.  Like eerie wow.

But I still like what I saw in the Tennessee game (yes, even with the INT's).  For the first time in I don't know how long, he actually looked like an NFL qb going down field.  That's why I hope he doesn't back down because of those INT's.  Maybe it was a step forward to finally cut loose. 

In the first half JB had some good completions, but what you have to separate is the completion and the degree of difficulty it took to make the completion.  When a receiver is the first read and wide open without a defender withing 3 yards, is that a great play by JB or a great play call by Frank Reich?  I contend it is a great play call and literally any NFL QB should be able to make the throw or they will not be a starter for very long.  Just as the scouting report says, his completion percentage is higher (though still not amazing) because he throws only short yardage, and only when the receiver is wide open (like college wide open).

I noticed this same pattern of JB making "NFL throws" and great completions in other games that Frank had masterful play calling, examples include the Falcons and first Texans game.

8 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

All quarterbacks eventually get the offense tailored for their strengths, but to have to constantly script plays to help him will only last so long.  Why intentionally hamstring yourself and not be allowed to open up the playbook because the guy playing the most important position on the field is so limited.

Also, I don't think he will get better.  He worked with Tom House all offseason and is still the exact same guy he was in 2017 and in college.  QB processing doesn't get that much better.  You can initially get better with more reps in your first couple of years but then it tapers off.  Fact of the matter, some guys can just process the play "in real time" better than others.  The scouts call this "instinctual play", and all indications point to JB being a slow processor.  This will put a ton of pressure on FR to make his first read get open, and JB will miss other opportunities because he just can't see the field like other quarterbacks.

You put JB on the Dolphins and he would be at the bottom in almost every statistical QB category.  He is a bad quarterback on a pretty good team and it makes him appear average.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If this has been the case for years now (and I more or less knew it was) then he's not going to dramatically improve as a downfield passer. That puts a significant ceiling on his future. 

It's interesting that the eye ball test can be so accurate on some guys and not others. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If this has been the case for years now (and I more or less knew it was) then he's not going to dramatically improve as a downfield passer. That puts a significant ceiling on his future. 

It's interesting that the eye ball test can be so accurate on some guys and not others. 

True.

I would think that when various deficiencies are identified before the draft, then after a season of being a starting QB, that those areas would be addressed and worked on by the player and position coaches.  Two years later, with the same short comings still present, it has to make one suspect that they aren't going to be cured or diminished substantially.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

A lot of the things are still the same. I completely disagree about him being able to throw with anticipation and his ability to reads of coverages, although he says that he's slow with his reads... which I guess is one way to parse what's happening. I think his ball placement and footwork have become better and I think his movement in the pocket and climbing up the pocket has become better. 

Too bad we don't have a real QB like Dak Prescott. 

Just think of what our record would be. (sarcasm)

Or we could....think about what our record would be like with a stable of WR's, our #1 RB and a FG kicker who isn't struggling, and is also behind a struggling ST unit?

A football team is a team. Yes, the QB has the biggest effect on a team overall, but other positions are extremely important. So, why point a finger at one part? What is the drive for that?

It is a fact that transcendent QB's are rare. If one guessed that there are roughly 12 QB's selected per/year. In 10 years that makes 120 QB's. Know how many of them have led their team to a SB in the last 10 years?

Two.

That is a 1.6% success rate. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Too bad we don't have a real QB like Dak Prescott. 

Just think of what our record would be. (sarcasm)

Or we could....think about what our record would be like with a stable of WR's and a FG kicker who isn't struggling, and is also behind a struggling ST unit?

A football team is a team. Yes, the QB has the biggest effect on a team overall, but other positions are extremely important. So, why point a finger at one part? What is the drive for that?

It is a fact that transcendent QB's are rare. If one guessed that there are roughly 12 QB's selected per/year. In 10 years that makes 120 QB's. Know how many of them have led their team to a SB in the last 10 years?

Two.

That is a 1.6% success rate. 

We probably  would win more with prescott. Dallas has bad coaching 

10 hours ago, Islandecho said:

IF Ballard and Reich still think JB is the answer at this point, then we need to start thinking about who is running what at Colt world HQs.

Wholesale changes would be appropriate.  I will be shocked if we don't draft a QB first round unless they have a lower guy they like or sign someone.

If they think this stiff is the future then I take back every good thing I have ever thought about them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LockeDown said:

welk he is like a son to Parcells. Reich and Ballard are both not gonna say he sucks when they obviously have no one better what would you expect them to say lol

• Like 2