Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think this kid is worth a look....

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

If you want an under the radar QB prospect with mobility who is much better in the pocket, go look at Utah's Tyler Huntley... Oh and he's actually a QB, rather than a gadget weapon. 

He sure shows a good instinct for the football time and space continum.
 I like this type of QB for todays game. Thanks for sharing. 

20 hours ago, stitches said:

If you want an under the radar QB prospect with mobility who is much better in the pocket, go look at Utah's Tyler Huntley... Oh and he's actually a QB, rather than a gadget weapon. 

Maybe he should have came up with some gadget's last night.....

20 hours ago, stitches said:

He stunk it up last night, only 193 yards, 2 TD's but 2 INT's. Utah got smoked. It was only 1 game but that was a bad look. This is why the draft is a crapshoot because as soon as you think someone looks good, they don't.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He stunk it up last night, only 193 yards, 2 TD's but 2 INT's. Utah got smoked. It was only 1 game but that was a bad look. This is why the draft is a crapshoot because as soon as you think someone looks good, they don't.

Yeah, not a great game for him. He still made some nice throws, but the consistency wasn't there. He had some very questionable accuracy on several important throws that he needed to make. 

This was a beautiful throw though. He had several NFL type throws even in this game in which he played far from his best. The lack of consistency is why he won't go day 1 or 2. If he was more consistent we wouldn't be talking about him as an "under the radar"/day 3 QB. 

43 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

Maybe he should have came up with some gadget's last night.....

Nah, he needed better accuracy on his throws and needed to get rid off the ball more quickly on several occasions. His OLine didn't help either. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, not a great game for him. He still made some nice throws, but the consistency wasn't there. He had some very questionable accuracy on several important throws that he needed to make. 

Nah, he needed better accuracy on his throws and needed to get rid off the ball more quickly on several occasions. His OLine didn't help either. 

He may turn out to be a decent pro, I really don't know. You are better than me at analyzing college players. I just don't watch enough college games to try and guess who will be a good or great pro. I have seen Burrow and Tua play some but it is because they are always on TV. I have looked up Jordan Love on youtube lately because you guys think he may end up being a good pro. To me the draft is fun, mocks are fun to read too, but the draft is also a crapshoot. Teams have to get lucky and guess a lot, like KC did with Mahomes. Baltimore did with Lamar too. With Luck we just knew he would be good to great. For so many good QB's there has been many that have been busts like Ware, Mirer, Shuler, Leaf, Couch, Harrington, J.Russell, RG3, Mariota, etc.. When those guys came out they were labeled as can't miss pro's. = Will be good at worse. Thank God we took Manning instead of Leaf.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He may turn out to be a decent pro, I really don't know. You are better than me at analyzing college players. I just don't watch enough college games to try and guess who will be a good or great pro.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly good with evaluating players coming out of college. And especially with projecting them forward(I have some hits, but I also have some huge misses). I'm doing this for fun and for engagement with other Colts fans(I just like talking about football and the team and the future of the team, etc.), I don't have any illusions about my abilities as an evaluator - think of it like this - even the best FOs in the league miss on about half their picks... and most people here(me included) don't have anywhere close to their knowledge, their time to watch players, their resources - financial or scouting resources, their intel on players(this is the biggest difference IMO between amateurs like us that watch on the internet and what the teams can do - they have soooooo much more information about those players and what makes them tick). 

I have seen Burrow and Tua play some but it is because they are always on TV. I have looked up Jordan Love on youtube lately because you guys think he may end up being a good pro. To me the draft is fun, mocks are fun to read too, but the draft is also a crapshoot. Teams have to get lucky and guess a lot, like KC did with Mahomes. Baltimore did with Lamar too.

Yeah, a lot of it is luck. This is why I love that Ballard realizes that and has said that this is the reason he prefers to accumulate picks, which he has done. This is one of the biggest paradoxes in the league. Imagine you are prospective GM for a team and you go to an interview with the owner  but instead of telling him "I'm the best man for the job, because I can evaluate better than everyone else", the real answer is more along the lines of "look, most teams/GMs in the league have about the same success with drafts over the long haul, so hire me to turn the wheel of fortune for the team". In essence, the answer is - you have to be humble about just how not good the success rate of draft picks is(even for the best GMs) and you have to devise a strategy in another way - namely - instead of just trying to have high success rate per pick... just get more picks and try to hold the success rate similar. This is how you shift the odds in your favor. You are more likely to get 5 starters out of 10 picks than out of 7 picks. 

The reality is - even if we draft a QB in round 1, chances are about 50-50 that he's going to bust... but then again... those are roughly the chances for every other position too. Maybe just a little bit more or less of some other positions, but QB is so important that it doesn't matter. The reward of getting a great QB is way too big. You just have to keep trying until you get the guy.  

With Luck we just knew he would be good to great. For so many good QB's there has been many that have been busts like Ware, Mirer, Shuler, Leaf, Couch, J.Russell, RG3, Mariota, etc.. When those guys came out they were labeled as can't miss pro's. = Will be good at worse. Thank God we took Manning instead of Leaf.

Manning and Luck are kind of exceptions though. I haven't really seen people talk about many other QBs in that way. For example, Trevor Lawrence is probably the one I've heard people talk in most similar terms as a can't miss QB, but even he had his questionable play to begin this season. We will see what happens with him next year and if he will enter the draft in a similar standing as Luck. Luck is the most can't miss QB I've seen and I haven't seen anyone close since.(this is as a prospect coming out of college) Even the Mariotas or Winstons or Mayfields and Darnolds of the world had a lot of more doubt. 

BTW, there is something that IMO gets underrated a bit - the environment those QBs enter into. Very few are can't miss that can transcend a chaotic team atmosphere, bad coaching or OLine, lack of weapons, etc. This is why what Luck did was so amazing and why he was a can't miss prospect - just look back at what he had to deal with... horrible coaching, horrible OLines, horrible defenses... we take 100 yard rushers for granted... Luck didn't have a 100 yard rusher to help him for what was it? 5 years straight or something? Luck was special. Too bad we didn't have the right management and coaching to keep him healthy and give him a team capable of competing. 

So yeah, I think whoever we draft will have much better situation to succeed than a lot of other young QBs entering the league. We have good coaching staff, we have good OLine... we need better weapons, but that can be fixed through allocating resources there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

This was a beautiful throw though. He had several NFL type throws even in this game in which he played far from his best. The lack of consistency is why he won't go day 1 or 2. If he was more consistent we wouldn't be talking about him as an "under the radar"/day 3 QB. 

Funny conspiracy theory. What if Ballard got credentialed for Utah state to throw people off. The reason he no showed was he was actually at Utah looking at this guy. Lol

draft season is full of smoke and conspiracy. Haha