Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
TimetobringDfence!

Fullback?

With us not having a sure thing at QB and condidering the talent of our O-line, could a fullback be an answer? I would love to us use TEs as a fullback or draft a Fullback with some hands. We have proven to be a physical power blocking offense this season. Why not go all in on being a full force run team would definately help any developing QB. Vikings and 49ers have it, we could too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

With us not having a sure thing at QB and condidering the talent of our O-line, could a fullback be an answer? I would love to us use TEs as a fullback or draft a Fullback with some hands. We have proven to be a physical power blocking offense this season. Why not go all in on being a full force run team would definately help any developing QB. Vikings and 49ers have it, we could 

Using a FB and TE in the backfield would give us the ability to run and pass from on formation and be a headache for Defenses. Riech has a lot of success with TE heavy offenses and I believe he could utilize a FB/TE run pass offense very efficiently.

It's another limitation with JB.  He has little touch and doesn't throw flairs, and screens very well.   

Fullbacks are hard to account for in the passing game, but would be obselete with JB at QB.  

• Like 1

Build the Colts offense around a fullback? I wonder if F. Reich has thought about this. Maybe run the Wishbone, to limit Brissett’s read down field to one in passing situations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Build the Colts offense around a fullback? I wonder if F. Reich has thought about this. Maybe run the Wishbone, to limit Brissett’s read down field to one in passing situations. 

Teams would have to stack the box to respect the run, which should help our recievers get open a lot easier.

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Teams would have to stack the box to respect the run, which should help our recievers get open a lot easier.

Teams already stack the box to respect the run.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

With us not having a sure thing at QB and condidering the talent of our O-line, could a fullback be an answer? I would love to us use TEs as a fullback or draft a Fullback with some hands. We have proven to be a physical power blocking offense this season. Why not go all in on being a full force run team would definately help any developing QB. Vikings and 49ers have it, we could too.

I certainly think it’s a legit question. Didn’t we recently sign a TE that was like 260+? If he is a blocker (I’d assume he is) could be a possibility with a small % of pass catch potential to just keep a defense at least honest enough to have to look at him if he goes out of the backfield now and then. Oh how I wished we still had Hentges. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's another limitation with JB.  He has little touch and doesn't throw flairs, and screens very well.   

Fullbacks are hard to account for in the passing game, but would be obselete with JB at QB.  

It seems all our pass catchers are limited with JB throwing the ball. :wall:

I love an offense with a FB in it. The 49'ers run it right now, as do some other teams.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Is there a John Riggins or Earl Campbell coming out?

Draft A.J. Dillion problem solved. Three headed monster of Dillion, Mack and Hines in 2020. This will limit JB to maybe 5 passes a game. Colt Express!

• Like 2

Also these power run teams with fullbacks hog the clock. It gives the team a physical identity and the defenses of those teams love it. Look at MIN and SF. We have a young D on the rise. Control the clock and allow the D more rest. And the D will to try to match and compete with the offense to prove which side of the ball is more physical. Win win.

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Lol we have running backs. Now if you said Mike Alstott I would be on page with you. 

Unfortunately, FB is not utilized by a lot of teams anymore. Rarely do you see two RB in the back field at same time. The NFL has mostly evolved away from it and is a pass first league now.

I miss the smash mouth football days, and there’s nothing more demoralizing to a defense that can’t stop the run. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Unfortunately, FB is not utilized by a lot of teams anymore. Rarely do you see two RB in the back field at same time. The NFL has mostly evolved away from it and is a pass first league now.

I miss the smash mouth football days, and there’s nothing more demoralizing to a defense that can’t stop the run. 

Its seems to be resurging a little more, but it has died. I feel like we have the coach, oline, and defense to do it. Wouldnt hurt considering our reciever and qb situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

It seems all our pass catchers are limited with JB throwing the ball. :wall:

We have to have some first, all of ours are either on IR or banged up

Geez, now we can limit Brissett's passing even further, take time off the clock and lose a bunch of low-scoring games instead of high-scoring ones.

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We have to have some first, all of ours are either on IR or banged up

But they all haven’t been all season. 

I often wondered that too.  I think its a 53 man roster thing, and GMs prefer to have multiple TEs who can do more in the passing game down field than to have a fullback, IMO.

There is no reason why teams can't use a FB and a lead blocker, but also as a pass catcher in a short range.

Our RB coach, Tom Rathman, was great at both.  Had some running ability, but blocking and catching was his forte.  He was a big part of the 49ers West Coast offense, which wasn't a running/power offense.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Geez, now we can limit Brissett's passing even further, take time off the clock and lose a bunch of low-scoring games instead of high-scoring ones.

What do you mean high scoring lol we average maybe two tds a game as is