32 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the future QB of the Colts

• Jacoby Brissett
    • Jordan Love
    • Justin Herbert
    • Jake Fromm
    • Jacob Eason
    • Jalen Hurts

I voted Jordan Love, you guys in here on the forum have me sold on it. I have been watching him a lot as well and he looks real talented. He should be available when we pick. Having said that I hope Andrew Luck comes back. Regarding JB, I still stand by what I say about him = he isn't as bad as some make him out to be. I had rated him around 15th for the last few weeks and maybe that was too high but top 20 isn't a stretch. We have had a lot of injuries to the WR core and lost Mack on top of it. That hasn't helped matters.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted Jordan Love, you guys in here on the forum have me sold on it. I have been watching him a lot as well and he looks real talented. He should be available when we pick. Having said that I hope Andrew Luck comes back. Regarding JB, I still stand by what I say about him = he isn't as bad as some make him out to be. I had rated him around 15th for the last few weeks and maybe that was too high but top 20 isn't a stretch. We have had a lot of injuries to the WR core and lost Mack on top of it. That hasn't helped matters.

I do wonder if Ballard reaches and takes Love with their mid 1st round pick, or if he gauges the market for him, and makes the sly draft move by getting a stud in round 1 at DT or WR, and then still landing Love in round 2. I guess we'll see how much Ballard covets Love come draft day unless his interest in him is all a show. 

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I do wonder if Ballard reaches and takes Love with their mid 1st round pick, or if he gauges the market for him, and makes the sly draft move by getting a stud in round 1 at DT or WR, and then still landing Love in round 2. I guess we'll see how much Ballard covets Love come draft day unless his interest in him is all a show. 

I am not sure what he will do. This offseason will be real interesting. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard will be the face of whatever decision is made but I don't think that we should forget about Jim Irsay in this process.

It will likely be Jim Irsay deciding if the Colts take a QB in round 1.

Watch the video below around 1:50. This is when Irsay was announcing the firing of Bill Polian. Irsay stated that he has final say in major decisions and specifically mentions first round picks. I know this is from 2012 but I suspect this hasn't changed since.

I didn't take this to mean that Jim is deciding on who the first round pick is every year but I do think that deciding to use a first round pick on a QB is one of those major franchise decisions that Jim will be the one to make.

I'm speculating here but the more time goes by this season, and we see more of the same from Jacoby and this offense, I start to think more that the Colts will be making a draft choice early for QB. I don't think Jim will be passive with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I could honestly see him taking a stud player like Lamb with our 1st, then trading up to get Love with the Skins 2nd. 

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

Ballard will be the face of whatever decision is made but I don't think that we should forget about Jim Irsay in this process.

Watch the video below around 1:50. This is when Irsay was announcing the firing of Bill Polian. Irsay stated that he has final say in major decisions and specifically mentions first round picks. I know this is from 2012 but I suspect this hasn't changed since.

I didn't take this to mean that Jim is deciding on who the first round pick is every year but I do think that deciding to use a first round pick on a QB is one of those major franchise decisions that Jim will be the one to make.

I'm speculating here but the more time goes by this season, and we see more of the same from Jacoby and this offense, I start to think more that the Colts will be making a draft choice early for QB. I don't think Jim will be passive with this.

The final decision will be Chris Ballard’s.   Yes, he will consult with Irsay,  but that’s why Ballard was hired, to make big hard decisions.  

Irsay will be involved in the process,  but Ballard will make the call.

Last thought;  you should hope and pray I’m right, because an owner who would do this when he has a GM line Ballard is a bad owner.  And I don’t think Irsay is a bad owner at all.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Simple number. Let’s say they draft a QB. They will keep Jacoby as starter to groom him. 

so it would be: 

Jacoby

Drafted QB

Hoyer

no space for him. 

Maybe.

But we can cut Hoyer if we want.   It will cost us nothing.   That’s the way his contract is set-up.   

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.

But we can cut Hoyer if we want.   It will cost us nothing.   That’s the way his contract is set-up.   

Hoyer doesnt really bring anything IMHO

He has proven over his career that when he starts a game as the backup to an injured starter.... he has lost 100% of the time........

He isnt going to get better.......  He has appeared to peak

I would MUCH rather have someone on the bench that at least has a chance to start...... someone that can be developed and learn the game

My vote is dump Hoyer

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Simple number. Let’s say they draft a QB. They will keep Jacoby as starter to groom him. 

Did you see the last presser? You want JB to groom his replacement?  Lol

Draft a future QB and save 9m in CAP by cutting bait.

• Like 1

I watched Jordan Love highlights, and his youtube game against MICH ST (which weren't all highlights)

It looks like he is a very accurate passer when he can set his feet, short throws to the correct shoulder for YAC, and can drop the ball over the defender on the intermediate throws.  I didn't see a lot of long throws. I didn't see a lot of bullet's thrown, and the ball stayed in the air a bit long, but that may have had a lot to do with trying to dump it over the defenders head unlike throwing a dart on a come back route or deep curl.  From what I saw, it looks like he uses/has above average velocity, but not great velocity.

He's what I would call a pocket passer, but with some athleticism.  He's built a bit lanky and leggy, so lateral athleticism and quick first steps for escapability aren't great.

He looks like Carson Wentz more than Mahomes, Lamar, or Josh Allen.  Love may be a good/great fit for Reich's O.  I don't think he has as much velocity as Wentz.

What I did NOT see was any ability or desire to look at multiple reads down field.  In part because of the offense, I think, but it looks like when he doesn't throw it down field to his first read, he throws the check down.  Maybe that's something that will develop, but he's not Jake Fromm in that category.  Also, I would say that his scrambling ability is probably less than what many want. Has some speed but not an abundance of agility or tackle breaking strength like you see with Russel Wilson, Lamar Jackson, or even Big Ben.  Not sure how long he can extend a play.

If he is Wentz, that suggests we need to trade up.  Perhaps Ballard has already decided that he likes him and is assessing exactly what his value is to the rest of the NFL.

JM amateur opinion.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I have a simple question. Jordan Love is getting a ton of support. The question is...

Who knew anything about him until the news leaked that Ballard likes him and was scouting him?  Do we just trust Ballard blindly?

There are alot of us that have had our eyes on him since september and has been our most realistic quarterback to draft outside of maybe Fromm. There's no point into looking at Burrow or Herbert or guys like that because they will not be there for us. Love is in another category of those guys. He's not a finished product and has some weakness but they can be fixed and that's why most of us believe he will be there for our mid round pick.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ya real talented completing just over 50% of his passes against a garbage New Mexico team ya real talented.

Ya but even before all the injuries he wasn't consistently good.

14 hours ago, ar7 said:

Yes.  Irsay stepped up in 2012 in part because he was taking the heat off of his new GM Grigson, by giving his full support on the decision to take Luck over RGIII, in so many words.  Also with the release of Manning.  With the major QB decisions, Irsay has shown that he is involved. 

If we make a move that suggests we are giving up a lot of capital to take the next franchise guy, then Irsay will not be passive in that decision, if the pattern holds.  He will have the final say.  I assume he will trust Ballard tremendously with the pick, but he's going to let it be known that the owner was involved in making this decision and not just let it sit with the GM. Its a way of supporting your employee with such a major decision and not let him twist in the wind by himself.  Although he will trust Ballard, he won't rubber stamp the pick either.

If we choose a QB in the second round or some developmental QB that we think may or may not work out, he's going to be more passive about that, IMO. 

I picked Hurts but just for kicks I went on youtube and looked up Loves entire 2018 season I have judged this kid a lot cause his numbers look really bad but I will eat crow from what I saw on this video I see what everybody on here sees a potential franchise QB has all the arm talent we need seemed accurate if he has time deadly accurate mental clock something Jacoby doesn't even come close to having knows when he needs to get the ball out of there lots of touch on his deep ball another thing Jacoby doesn't even come close to having so ya im sold don't know about first round but we will see how he looks at combine.

26 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I picked Hurts but just for kicks I went on youtube and looked up Loves entire 2018 season I have judged this kid a lot cause his numbers look really bad but I will eat crow from what I saw on this video I see what everybody on here sees a potential franchise QB has all the arm talent we need seemed accurate if he has time deadly accurate mental clock something Jacoby doesn't even come close to having knows when he needs to get the ball out of there lots of touch on his deep ball another thing Jacoby doesn't even come close to having so ya im sold don't know about first round but we will see how he looks at combine.

lol this post is great yeah try listening to people next time instead of being a dip % 

41 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya real talented completing just over 50% of his passes against a garbage New Mexico team ya real talented.

27 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

lmaohahahaha

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kelly’s not going to be on the team next year?!?

And that’s based on...........?

Probably numbers game, unless we trade one of Jacoby and/or Hoyer. 

We will have 3 QBs if we draft one so yeah. I doubt we keep 4... maybe he gets stashed on PS again? 

I could see Jacob Eason sitting behind Brissett for a year to learn and mature. He has some good things going for him, but he is lacking in handling pressure and will need extended amounts of reps. But watching all his games this year, he definitely has that arm talent that a lot are missing and looking for. 

He might stay with Washington for another year though... 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Probably numbers game, unless we trade one of Jacoby and/or Hoyer. 

We will have 3 QBs if we draft one so yeah. I doubt we keep 4... maybe he gets stashed on PS again? 

No way to know just how good, or not, Kelly has looked during the week.   But I’d like to think he’s shown enough for the Colts to believe he’s got a future as a backup.  

So perhaps we cut Hoyer?

Hoyer’s contract was set up to be able to cut him after one year with little to no financial pain.   I’m very curious to see if this happens?

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I could see Jacob Eason sitting behind Brissett for a year to learn and mature. He has some good things going for him, but he is lacking in handling pressure and will need extended amounts of reps. But watching all his games this year, he definitely has that arm talent that a lot are missing and looking for. 

He might stay with Washington for another year though... 

Eason is a game manager too.

I know this might be a Hot Take and an option that I could completely see happening. 

Ballard decides that he wants to continue to build the team, not base it off one player.  He always said that it was more important to have a team that was centered around Luck.  So if you take that I could see him going out and getting weapons, Maybe a WR in the first or second.  I could see him rollling the dice with selecting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Maybe look at a player like Hurts, Eason or Mond (Later).  Someone that can push Jacoby and could also develop.

Not saying this will happen but it is possible

I have seen some mock drafts that only have two QB going in the first round. Wonder if some of these QB will fall into the second round while teams pick up other positions. The perfect scenario for the colts would be two get a WR and their Qb with their first two picks. That WA pick will be big. I would probably take the QB first because If you have identified the guy you can’t risk losing them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ar7 said:

Jim wants to fill the stadium. 

• Like 1

Add the panthers to a team who will be taking a QB with the firing of their coach today. Maybe we need to lose to the panthers to stay ahead of them lol.  It should going to be difficult to get our guy. Moving up some might not cost to much though. I think KC and Houston didn’t give up to much   to move up.

Panthers 

Bengals

Steelers

oakland maybe 

Miami 

pats might move up

Chargers