Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts can make the playoffs

coltsorioles

Just like 2015 and 2016 all over again...losing crucial games and then forced to hope on an unlikely series of events to allow the Colts to make the playoffs with a team that will likely get crushed. 

While January football is my favorite (after September football)...I don't really see it happening. Just too many injuries and not a strong enough offense. Probably time to start looking at the middle of the 1st round in mocks.

11 minutes ago, IinD said:

I always root for more than 16 games. I don't care if we get stomped.

We've got some sorry fans at times.

We wait all year for football and some don't want a 17th game or more? 

To each their own. 

Draft position guarantees jack %.

I am with you...I will always take January football...unless it's a rare occasion where the Colts are bad enough to get a top 3 pick.

But I won't get upset if it doesn't happen at this point. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IinD said:

I always root for more than 16 games. I don't care if we get stomped.

We've got some sorry fans at times.

We wait all year for football and some don't want a 17th game or more? 

To each their own. 

Draft position guarantees jack %.

If we earned it then yea, being that they lost 4 out of the last five they don't  want to go to the playoffs  nor do they deserve to  go 

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I am with you...I will always take January football...unless it's a rare occasion where the Colts are bad enough to get a top 3 pick.

I totally get hating where we're at in general, but we haven't been below .500 at all this year.

You gotta keep fighting and see what happens. It's just that defeatist attitude with a month to go that's bothering me.

It's not like we're 2-10. Yes we're not great, but we've definitely had some terrible breaks this year (Luck, TY, Turay, AV getting old) and we're still alive, even if it's barely. 

If things aren't perfect some want to just end the season. Screw that thinking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If we earned it then yea, being that they lost 4 out of the last five they don't  want to go to the playoffs  nor do they deserve to  go 

Still 4 to go so who knows. 

I totally see we aren't great or anything, but I'm hoping they can claw their way in regardless of who the opponent is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IinD said:

I totally get hating where we're at in general, but we haven't been below .500 at all this year.

You gotta keep fighting and see what happens. It's just that defeatist attitude with a month to go that's bothering me.

It's not like we're 2-10. Yes we're not great, but we've definitely had some terrible breaks this year (Luck, TY, Turay, AV getting old) and we're still alive, even if it's barely. 

If things aren't perfect some want to just end the season. Screw that thinking.

I predicted we will go 8-8 at the beginning of the year, just did not know how it will come about. :dunno:

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Oh anything is possible. But while at the same point we were 6-6 last year but riding a winning streak. We’d have to get hot FAST. We’ve lost 4/5 now, that’s not a good look. 

Yeah and plus we have lost all our games in the AFC and lose the tie breaker to Pittsburgh. The loss at NO should clinch us being out. 

Yesterday was the big day and IMO the horse has left the barn. I had read before that game that a win would bring us back up to a 50% chance and a loss would bring the odds to around 11%. Factor in that the fact that Pittsburgh beat Cleveland and we're probably now at less than 10%. 

For what it's worth , I'm now turning to my "crazy" mode. When I watch , I'll be hoping the players do well but we lose in the end. We need the QB and 4-5 spots will have tons of value in securing that goal.

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yeah and plus we have lost all our games in the AFC and lose the tie breaker to Pittsburgh. The loss at NO should clinch us being out. 

Yesterday was the big day and IMO the horse has left the barn. I had read before that game that a win would bring us back up to a 50% chance and a loss would bring the odds to around 11%. Factor in that the fact that Pittsburgh beat Cleveland and we're probably now at less than 10%. 

For what it's worth , I'm now turning to my "crazy" mode. When I watch , I'll be hoping the players do well but we lose in the end. We need the QB and 4-5 spots will have tons of value in securing that goal.

I posted this a few minutes ago in another thread but I think it fits better here.

What team in the league could withstand losing the following:

Starting QB (Retired)
Back up turned Starter QB (2 games)

WR1 (4-5 games and counting)
WR2 (6+ Games and counting)
WR3 (Season)
WR4(Season)
WR5 (Season)
TE1 (Season)
RB1 (3 Games so far)

I can't think of even a single team that could lose that many and still make the playoffs, not even New England with the Hooded one could pull that off. Count the D players and you're looking at 20-25% of the projected 53 player Depth Chart going into the Preseason now being hurt or gone.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I predicted we will go 8-8 at the beginning of the year, just did not know how it will come about. :dunno:

I think I was right there with you (or 9-7), I don't even know how to look for old posts.

With the tough cards we've been dealt we're technically still alive which I think they should get a little credit for.

JB stuff aside, they haven't rolled over like in years past where we lost Peyton/Andrew so I'm proud of them from that aspect.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

We need wrs to. All ours can't  stay healthy 

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Bills aren't losing out.  That's just as likely as us winning out.  So they're going to get the 5th seed.  That leaves us along with Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Tennessee, all of whom own the tie breaker over us.  So not only do we have to win out, we also need three teams to lose enough games so as to not end with the same record as us, plus lose games in step with us just in case we lose 1 of the 4 remaining.  

That's just with us assuming wins.  This is the point in time where I remind you of who we have lost to (not to mention how we lost) to teams such as Pittsburgh, Oakland, MIAMI...

Our odds have to be something close to 10% odds.  That ain't good.

Your "close to 10% odds" seems about right. FiveThirtyEight sports ran a 100,000 case simulation and the probability of the Colts making the playoffs was 8%.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coltsorioles said:

10-6 will definitely make the playoffs in the afc. As we know the Colts are the type of team that can beat and also could lose to anyone.   Obviously the saints are the best team they face but they did lose to Atlanta at home. Tampa, Carolina, and Jax are very winnable.  The colts lose every tie breaker, because if they win out they go 4-0 vs nfc and have the worst conference record. They only teams they could beat in a tie breaker is Tennessee if Tennessee looses one game to Houston or ,  Houston if they lose both games to Tennessee. That is based on better division record. That is the first tie breaker amongst division opponents, conference record does not apply unless the division record is the same.   As far as the other teams. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Oakland,  not worried about Oakland running the table, so either buffalo has to lose out , they play Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England and the jets ( it's possible). Or Pittsburgh has to lose 2 of 4.  They play cardinals, bills, jets, ravens.    My  point is if the Colts win out they  should make the playoffs. I know it's a big if, but you never know. 

Why?

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Your "close to 10% odds" seems about right. FiveThirtyEight sports ran a 100,000 case simulation and the probability of the Colts making the playoffs was 8%.

I originally put 1% but then I looked at the remaining schedules of the Bills, Steelers and Raiders.  1% would be the teams like the Redskins (3-9) and Browns (4-8) who aren't mathematically eliminated, but might as well be.  So I added a zero to make it 10% lol.

Optimism is good but considering basically our entire offense minus our OL has broken their bones and we are about 2 people away from calling up Jerry Rice out of retirement for lack of any other conceivable playmaking option, I dont think we will make it far.  Better to accrue draft capital at this point and let Kelly get experience at QB to see if he is worth keeping.

I'm more concerned with them improving draft position.  I want a new QB, so get as close to the top as possible.... Who cares about going 10-6, getting thrashed in a playoff road game, and picking in mid to late twenties.... Thus stuck with Brissett another year.....nah, lose out..... Get close enough to trade up to early first Rd, and get the future started. 

12 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I'm more concerned with them improving draft position.  I want a new QB, so get as close to the top as possible.... Who cares about going 10-6, getting thrashed in a playoff road game, and picking in mid to late twenties.... Thus stuck with Brissett another year.....nah, lose out..... Get close enough to trade up to early first Rd, and get the future started. 

I'd much rather take my chances in a playoff game even if we are a big underdog.  You never know.  

I don't think there is any chance we make the playoffs this year.  We are destined to be a .500 team which would make sense when you play all close games.  I would be fine with losing the 4 remaining games as long as it becomes clear to Reich and Ballard that Brissett is not the QB of the future.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Im not even confident the Colts will win the next game let alone win out.  Definitely the odds aren't high we'll beat the Saints alone. 

I see us losing to the saints and bucs and the Panthers game is a toss up to me. hell the jags are playing Minshew again we may lose to them now who knows 

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I normally want to win only exceptions when we are in need of a QB just like now. 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I normally want to win only exceptions when we are in need of a QB just like now. 

Yeah...I get that...and I don't think playoffs are very likely.

I remember 2015 and 2016...moral victories and winning meaningless games in Week 16 and 17 (remember the Luck fist bump after the last-second win against JAC). That's great and all...but not it was after losing critical games against HOU.

I am not an advocate of losing (unless it's incredibly advantageous)...but winning those types of games is pretty meh. They even managed to win Week 17 in 2017...when they could have had the #2 pick (we thought the NYJ deal was sweet). 

Fun fact...going back to Luck's rookie season...the Colts are 7-0 in Week 17 games. We will see if that streak continues this year.

• Like 1

What's incredible is how good this defense is playing, a few too many breakdowns the past 2 games. (but that *ic 3 man pass rush against the Texans is on the coaches).  We lost to 3 horrible offensive teams while the defense stoned them(raiders,steelers, dolphins). We really could be 9-3 or better, this team does not have many holes or weaknesses.

It’s over.  In best interest to lose out.  JB will be starter next year unfortunately but MAYBE if lose out someone drops to where could trade our first and one of our 2s for a QB.   It’s obvious JB isn’t a franchise QB.  Great back up though.   The most ideal scenario is Luck deciding to play again but I put that at absolutely zero percent,

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...I get that...and I don't think playoffs are very likely.

I remember 2015 and 2016...moral victories and winning meaningless games in Week 16 and 17 (remember the Luck fist bump after the last-second win against JAC). That's great and all...but not it was after losing critical games against HOU.

I am not an advocate of losing (unless it's incredibly advantageous)...but winning those types of games is pretty meh. They even managed to win Week 17 in 2017...when they could have had the #2 pick (we thought the NYJ deal was sweet). 

Fun fact...going back to Luck's rookie season...the Colts are 7-0 in Week 17 games. We will see if that streak continues this year.

yeah winning meaningless games when you have a shot at a top 2 pick really does annoy me lol

I am one of the most optimistic posters in here, defend our players as much as I can but NO we aren't making the playoffs now. Yesterday ended that dream. I am guessing in reality we have like a 5% chance at this point going by NFL simulations  haha . I would rest Brissett and TY and play Kelly. As long as Kelly doesn't smack a photographer or take a swig of whiskey things may go smooth :thmup:. I want to see what Kelly has now. Why not?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am one of the most optimistic posters in here, defend our players as much as I can but NO we aren't making the playoffs now. Yesterday ended that dream. I am guessing in reality we have like a 5% chance at this point going by NFL simulations  haha . I would rest Brissett and TY and play Kelly. As long as Kelly doesn't smack a photographer or take a swig of whiskey things may go smooth :thmup:. I want to see what Kelly has now. Why not?

10% currently.

2% if we lose to TB (assumes favs win other games)

10-6 would get us in, but doubt we win out. 9-7 would be slim given the tie breakers we've lost with others in the hunt.

I don't see how anyone could think this team can make the playoffs at this point. Our last game literally was the breaking point for the team. The wheels clearly came off in Sunday's loss. I don't want to see this team in the playoffs....

It would be a disservice to myself, Colts fans, and fans of the NFL. Their play is not deserving of January football, and that is just the truth. Sunday afternoon you saw a team with a huge question mark at QB, no reliable WRs, special teams dysfunction, and way too many injuries. 

33 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

I don't see how anyone could think this team can make the playoffs at this point. Our last game literally was the breaking point for the team. The wheels clearly came off in Sunday's loss. I don't want to see this team in the playoffs....

It would be a disservice to myself, Colts fans, and fans of the NFL. Their play is not deserving of January football, and that is just the truth. Sunday afternoon you saw a team with a huge question mark at QB, no reliable WRs, special teams dysfunction, and way too many injuries. 

You're right. The way the Colts are playing right now they don't deserve to make the playoffs, and if they finish out the season playing this way, they won't make it.

For the Colts to make the playoffs, they will need to go on a 4 game winning streak, which would include beating the Saints in New Orleans and winning 3 games on the road. Do you think that team would deserve to make the playoffs? I do, and I don't think a team on that kind of a run being in the playoffs, would be doing a disservice to anyone.

Whoever makes the playoffs will have earned it, whether it's the  Colts, Texans, Titans, Steelers, or whoever.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 10:31 AM, Mr.Debonair said:

Meh I don’t think you’ve watched this team in the last few weeks. This team likely isn’t going 10-6.

Not with Brissett they aren't.

They could do it with Kelly playing like he did in college.

We will never know because CB and FR won't take a chance...too chicken.

Irsay would need to order them to do it...then CB and FR would be off the hook.

On 12/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, Shafty138 said:

I hate to break it to you but even if we draft the future QB Brissett is probably the QB next year. Unless Luck decides he wants to play again.