Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
mirobi48

Chad Kelly time

Recommended Posts

I just saw something on team stream from Kevin Bowen .On brisett's two picks a completely clean pocket .Not much more to say especially when u see the wide open guys In Texans game he didn't hit .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bhougland said:

 

Who inconveniently threw 2 interceptions....:lol:

Picks happen when you put the game on your arm.  They happened to Luck, and we all agree that Brissett is not luck.  With what might be the worst receiving corps in the entire NFL, and a game that forced us to go to the air anyway, picks are inevitable.

 

You're acting like Brissett has anything to work with here.  He really, really doesn't.  Frankly it's amazing that the air game is giving us anything.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Wow, can’t tell if you are serious on this or not. JB is just not starting caliber material, he just isn’t. 

You say that so confidently.  3 weeks ago before he got hurt, you were not so confident.

 

Got a guy with a banged up knee trying to throw to Pascal, Doyle and a bunch of PS scrubs.  Did you really expect that not to come back to bite us pretty dang hard in crunch time?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I wish they would give Kelly a shot... but they never will.

They might, if CB and FR believe that JB is too injured to play.

Ebron went on IR for much less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You say that so confidently.  3 weeks ago before he got hurt, you were not so confident.

 

Got a guy with a banged up knee trying to throw to Pascal, Doyle and a bunch of PS scrubs.  Did you really expect that not to come back to bite us pretty dang hard in crunch time?

 

 

It’s his overall body of work. His knee may be an issue but his inability to look for other targets besides his first, his pushing it downfield, his throwing guys open, those things have been issues all year long. His knee doesn’t hinder his eyesight or his turning of the head to look both left and right through progressions. 
 

you like him obviously for the longer term, most of us don’t. We can just leave it there.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

They might, if CB and FR believe that JB is too injured to play.

Ebron went on IR for much less.

 Is JB even hurt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean I get wanting to see what the kid can do and once the Colts are officially eliminated you might very well see that but I don’t think he’s going to be anything close to the answer people want him to be.  

 

He won a backup job in Denver but couldn’t win the starting job over one of the worst starting QBs in the league.  Every team in the league has had multiple chances to sign him, even after he had a good pre-season and some teams were in desperate need of a QB and passed.  

 

I seriously doubt he’s going to be much better than Jacoby and even if he is I think it will be fools gold and you will see him struggle once other teams get film on him.  

 

I get wanting him to be better and be the answer but I doubt he is.

I suspect the reason he hasn't won a starting job has to do with character/maturity concerns more than pure QB skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how some on here are complaining about the Colts recievers. Take a look at the steeler recievers. I'll take our recievers all day every day. And not only that the steelers started an undrafted rookie from a d3 college again yesterday and won. This is a team game and the Colts have found different ways to lose 6 games this year that they could have just as easily won. It is what it is but I do hope we have an open competition at qb next year to determine a starter. Whether it is Brissett, Kelly or a draft pick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I like how some on here are complaining about the Colts recievers. Take a look at the steeler recievers. I'll take our recievers all day every day. And not only that the steelers started an undrafted rookie from a d3 college again yesterday and won. This is a team game and the Colts have found different ways to lose 6 games this year that they could have just as easily won. It is what it is but I do hope we have an open competition at qb next year to determine a starter. Whether it is Brissett, Kelly or a draft pick.

The Steelers have a huge advantage at WR, you know why? They have Cain :sarcasm:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, JB is hurt. He has a MCL strain and has a huge, bulky brace on his knee. He can't set to throw. He can't run as fast. Maybe he will need surgery after the season is over, or maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Yes, JB is hurt. He has a MCL strain and has a huge, bulky brace on his knee. He can't set to throw. He can't run as fast. Maybe he will need surgery after the season is over, or maybe not.

He can absolutely set to throw.  The brace is specifically designed as to let him do everything he needs to.  As an Ortho guy, trust me, the brace isn't limiting him.  An injury might be, but the brace isn't.  You don't throw a limiting device in a guy and set him out there to fail.  People assume the device is responsible for limiting the athlete all the time.  The injury is listing him, or he just sucks, but the brace is only there to prevent further injury, while allowing him to plant, run, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

When the D gives up 31 points and 150 yards rushing, I'm hesitant to blame the guy who threw for 300 yards for the loss.

 

You guys aren't actually mad at Brissett.  you're mad because we lost.  Brissett is just the convenient scapegoat.

The defense didn't give up 31 points first of all.  

  

Special teams created a 16 point swing (3 missed FG's with one blocked for a TD).  

  

It was their fault we lost.  

Brissett wasn't good, but he was only a small factor in us losing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

The defense didn't give up 31 points first of all.  

  

Special teams created a 16 point swing (3 missed FG's with one blocked for a TD).  

  

It was their fault we lost.  

Brissett wasn't good, but he was only a small factor in us losing.

It was in part their fault.   Plenty of fault to go around though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What gets lost in yesterdays game is Brissett threw for 319 yards but he had 2 INT's. This is another example why Yards passing can be misleading at times. I would of rather him throw for 219 with no INT's and we win.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Chad kelly is being sued 

For what?  Getting our hopes up?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

For what?  Getting our hopes up?

The article  said he broke the nose of some denver camera man back in 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a critic of giving Kelly a shot.   However,  if we lose to the Bucs,   maybe giving him a shot would be a good thing.   Live bullets.   I really like Jacoby.   I think he has all the physical traits.  He doesn't have the confidence in my opinion.   He double clutches,   he stares down the first read.   We know Hoyer isn't the answer.    Maybe we got lucky with Kelly.     This coming from a guy that was against him getting a chance

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What gets lost in yesterdays game is Brissett threw for 319 yards but he had 2 INT's. This is another example why Yards passing can be misleading at times. I would of rather him throw for 219 with no INT's and we win.

Or 520 YDS with 5 INTs but we win. I know you 2006, you don't care how you just want to WIN!!:thmup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Kelly time, put Kelly in the rest of the season since we're out anyway and JB ain't worth a lick...Draft a new QB, compete, and start him..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bhougland said:

 

Who inconveniently threw 2 interceptions....:lol:

Didn't you know bhougland, only Hoyer throws inconvenient INTs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 5:29 PM, TheMiz said:

If we lose to the Bucs, I would imagine that we'd be seeing Kelly in some game action to finish the year

 

Good Jameis, or bad Winston. Who shows up?

 

On 12/1/2019 at 5:35 PM, TheMiz said:

I don't remember the specifics of his contract, but I'm pretty sure it is easy to get out of and he could be cut after this season with minimal financial impact

 

If you call $12,500,000.00  in dead cap minimal financial impact, yes. Easy Peasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Myles said:

I totally agree.   

He is what he is.   We know that and I suspect Reich does too.   

Yup. Reich's O relies on a QB's ability to read, identify, and progress. It's a lot more responsibility on a QB than Chud's O IMO. I'm sure Reich and Ballard know better than us. It's likely going to be an awkward off season if not already awkward. The whole Ballard to Utah story was very awkward in terms of optics. I do feel for JB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Reich's O relies on a QB's ability to read, identify, and progress. It's a lot more responsibility on a QB than Chud's O IMO. I'm sure Reich and Ballard know better than us. It's likely going to be an awkward off season if not already awkward. The whole Ballard to Utah story was very awkward in terms of optics. I do feel for JB.

It's a business,  J.B. has been payed very well for what he brings to the table.  He just doesn't have the skills to take this team to the big prize.  Granted this team is riddled with injuries, but even when we were at full speed, he still had issues with read's, holding the ball to long, bullet screen passes, afraid of throwing an INT, thus missing open receivers.

 

I had high hopes for J.B. at the start of the season, I knew he would have issues when we brought him in when Andrew went down, but he played better than I expected.  Andrew retires preseason, and J.B. again becomes the starter, in my OP he has regressed.  He is not an NFL starting QB.  He had the opportunity to learn from Brady, and Luck, he has all of the physical skills to succeed, but for what ever reason, he is unable to make quick decisions a QB has to make.  It's time for the F.O. to put this QB decision to bed.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

It's a business,  J.B. has been payed very well for what he brings to the table.  He just doesn't have the skills to take this team to the big prize.  Granted this team is riddled with injuries, but even when we were at full speed, he still had issues with read's, holding the ball to long, bullet screen passes, afraid of throwing an INT, thus missing open receivers.

 

I had high hopes for J.B. at the start of the season, I knew he would have issues when we brought him in when Andrew went down, but he played better than I expected.  Andrew retires preseason, and J.B. again becomes the starter, in my OP he has regressed.  He is not an NFL starting QB.  He had the opportunity to learn from Brady, and Luck, he has all of the physical skills to succeed, but for what ever reason, he is unable to make quick decisions a QB has to make.  It's time for the F.O. to put this QB decision to bed.

 

Agreed. Unless things all of sudden click in the last 4 games, I don't see us not drafting.  I know we've had injuries, but we've also played some very poor passing Ds and our guys were very open. Going to be a very interesting off season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

He can absolutely set to throw.  The brace is specifically designed as to let him do everything he needs to.  As an Ortho guy, trust me, the brace isn't limiting him.  An injury might be, but the brace isn't.  You don't throw a limiting device in a guy and set him out there to fail.  People assume the device is responsible for limiting the athlete all the time.  The injury is listing him, or he just sucks, but the brace is only there to prevent further injury, while allowing him to plant, run, etc.

If you are an ortho guy, I will defer to your obvious knowledge. However, as a brain guy, maybe the brace didn't affect JB physically, but perhaps having it on messed with his head.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bhougland said:

2. He is the highest paid practice squad player in the the NFL.  This is a poison pill to many teams that have cap issues.  However, it is still a relatively low amount.

 

Was, and it was close to NFL minimum pay.  But that practice squad contract was terminated and he was signed at NFL player minimum for the rest of 2019 as a member of the Colts 53 man roster.

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe we got lucky with Kelly. 

 

One thing is certain, there is 'no tape' on him.  The plays pulled from the playbook for each game plan will be different; because the strengths/weaknesses and QB likes/dislikes of plays will be different.

 

It's harder for opponents to prepare and thus easier for a QB to flash.  The proof comes after 4-6 games are on tape and DC's can prepare a definitive game plan against him.

 

See Gardner Minshew and compare to JB-

 

eAmSvRO.jpg

qdqeM4l.jpg

 

His stats vs. Tampa were bad too-

Cmp    Attt   %      Yds   Y/A   TD   Int

16        27    59.3   147    5.4     1       1

 

Jags spent on Foles, yet have named Minshew starter the rest of the year.  Replacing a QB and taking a big step forward is not easy, and (I feel) the new coach for Panthers will soon find that out too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bhougland said:

 

I think some part of this is correct, except I think they do think highly of his skill set for the following reasons:

 

1.  Chris Ballard said that his scouts watched everything about Chad and they thought long and hard about bringing him in.  He never mentioned the relationship to Frank (however, I don't believe he would). This is a minor point.

 

2. He is the highest paid practice squad player in the the NFL.  This is a poison pill to many teams that have cap issues.  However, it is still a relatively low amount.

 

Good points. Thanks for sharing. I sure hope he gets into games this year but maybe the limited wr group would cloud the evaluation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Good points. Thanks for sharing. I sure hope he gets into games this year but maybe the limited wr group would cloud the evaluation.

Maybe not. He was throwing to backup WR's in the preseason (although also throwing against backups CB's).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Good points. Thanks for sharing. I sure hope he gets into games this year but maybe the limited wr group would cloud the evaluation.

 

Seemed to do fine in the preseason with these very same receivers.  The windows he was throwing into were also tight, unlike the backyard windows that Jacoby seems to require.

 

Jacoby never throws open a receiver.  The wide open throws that he make are a credit to Frank Reichs play calls, especially scripted plays.  After those run out he seems lost.  \

 

Here is film analysis someone did, which is kind of funny:

 

 

He is not an Indy fan and at some point says that Chad would give Luck a run for his money at the starting position (which is going over the top), but it is still fun to watch.  He also calls out Brissett in the pre-season, and is pretty spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bhougland said:

 

Seemed to do fine in the preseason with these very same receivers.  The windows he was throwing into were also tight, unlike the backyard windows that Jacoby seems to require.

 

Jacoby never throws open a receiver.  The wide open throws that he make are a credit to Frank Reichs play calls, especially scripted plays.  After those run out he seems lost.  \

 

Here is film analysis someone did, which is kind of funny:

 

 

He is not an Indy fan and at some point says that Chad would give Luck a run for his money at the starting position (which is going over the top), but it is still fun to watch.  He also calls out Brissett in the pre-season, and is pretty spot on.

Thanks for that film. watched the other film of his time at Scuba Miss. and Miss State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, bhougland said:

 

Seemed to do fine in the preseason with these very same receivers.  The windows he was throwing into were also tight, unlike the backyard windows that Jacoby seems to require.

 

Jacoby never throws open a receiver.  The wide open throws that he make are a credit to Frank Reichs play calls, especially scripted plays.  After those run out he seems lost.  \

 

Here is film analysis someone did, which is kind of funny:

 

 

He is not an Indy fan and at some point says that Chad would give Luck a run for his money at the starting position (which is going over the top), but it is still fun to watch.  He also calls out Brissett in the pre-season, and is pretty spot on.

Giving Luck a run for his money is an overstatement.  But what he actually said was that Chad Kelly would beat Andrew Luck.  That's a disqualifying statement.  I had to stop watching at that point because I just couldn't trust his film analysis (which was based off pre-season no less).  Plus I couldn't get over his voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Giving Luck a run for his money is an overstatement.  But what he actually said was that Chad Kelly would beat Andrew Luck.  That's a disqualifying statement.  I had to stop watching at that point because I just couldn't trust his film analysis (which was based off pre-season no less).  Plus I couldn't get over his voice.

 

Fair enough, no need to waste your time then if you don't trust the analysis.  Yea, I cringed at that part.  The parts you didn't probably get to show the quick release, hip rotation, and tight window he threw into.  That latter part is what I liked in the video.  

 

His voice...the guy has trouble saying the "TH"s, which he pronounces as an "F" sound.  As a father that sends two daughters to speech therapy, I commend him for having the confidence to get on Youtube (and keep comments open) knowing that he will receive this type of feedback.  The guy has moxy and I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As enjoyable as it was to watch 'swag' (God, I hate that) play as well as he did under those circumstance, BOY that was a difficult watch.

 

I know it's not a professional offering, and I don't need it all polished up and such, but it was kinda incredible how that guy managed to cram 5 minutes of video/commentary into a 20 minute bag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bhougland said:

His voice...the guy has trouble saying the "TH"s, which he pronounces as an "F" sound.  As a father that sends two daughters to speech therapy, I commend him for having the confidence to get on Youtube (and keep comments open) knowing that he will receive this type of feedback.  The guy has moxy and I like it.

I noticed that.  Watched a little bit more anyway since I was bored at work.  Couldn't put my figner on it before.  Now that I heard it and know that it could be related to a speech disability (which I know little about), I kinda feel that I said it at all, even if it was here away from his YT comment section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Jimmy G also had multiple games during the season where he had 300 and 400 yard games. Brisett only had 3 games with 300 yards and 8 games under 200 not counting the Steelers game.
    • My hopes aren't up.  This is just a guess and prediction like everyone else.  My 1st choice is for Gruden to get the itch to move up for a QB and we can trade for Carr.  I'm just hoping Ballard does something to address the QB position.  If he doesn't then I will be crushed.  
    • People on this board talked about his deficiencies (including missing open guys) when we were 5-2 and winning. They were just drowned out by the JB fan club who could only muster lazy things like "winning is the only thing that matters"...  Bad is bad regardless if you're winning or losing. People are just less likely to point it out when you are winning.
    • Jimmy G made a lot of big passing plays during the season.. You missed the point. Even the elite QB don’t hit every pass every game. They miss open guys. They just make enough big plays to over come it.     
    • Well, trading back to get Burrow and additional picks would be nice.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...