Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This season was not a complete failure.

TheMiz

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Ok.  I hate when. A term gets used so often that it completely loses its meaning.  Luck was not the best QB of his generation.  Of guys close to his age, or in his "generation" He's not head and shoulders above Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Derek Carr, Garroppolo, etc.... Just like when people say a player is prototypical..... That means he's the first of a kind, but everyone uses it to try and say someone matches the desired qualities of a position..... 

/End rant

yea he is. only qb's that come close to Luck's skill are Wilson and Mahomes. Go back and watch some tape. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was thinking 35, most did.

Yeah, my guess was mid 30’s at most, I remember saying so in that offseason Peter King interview thread.

Interestingly enough though, I remember a lot of people talking about having “ten more years of Luck” as recent as this off-season. Seemed like some just (wishfully) assumed he’d play until he was 40.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, my guess was mid 30’s at most, I remember saying so in that offseason Peter King interview thread.

Interestingly enough though, I remember a lot of people talking about having “ten more years of Luck” as recent as this off-season. Seemed like some just (wishfully) assumed he’d play until he was 40.

I even said 40 in a couple of posts but I also said 35 haha . I was thinking 5 more years or so deep down overall because of the pounding he took early in his career,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Those you mention probably have more skill than Luck, but what Andrew did was what the Colts needed today- he refused to let his team fall apart in the face of a few bad breaks.  He, more often than not, took it upon himself to Will the team to a needed first down or touchdown. He either ran, or dove, or just challenged defenses to stop him.  That, in the end, was his downfall, because of injuries.  

Jacoby might be the team leader, but he doesn’t have the skills or reckless determination/refusal to lose to make a game-saving drive like Luck did.

This team was set up perfectly for a Luck-type QB to take this team far into the playoffs.  Unfortunately, we don’t have one of those on this team, today...

Of course you would say those guys have more than Luck, Jimmy G.

7 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

We likely beat Carolina at home and the jags are pretty bad 

Yep we’re staring at 8-8. That would put us about pick 16. If we lose out probably 11th or 12th. That’s a big deal for a team that needs a QB. 

I am 100% tired of hearing what leaders Brissett and Vinatieri are. You lead by producing on the field, not by saying "rookie, get in here sooner". Reich and Ballard could have led by holding Vinatieri accountable. They chose, for their own reasons, not too.

That's the difference between business and sports teams. In the real world, Vinatieri would have been long gone...Brissett on notice that he will be replaced. The special teams coach would be out too. And HR would be advertising all over the world for wide receiver resumes.

13 hours ago, Ratking said:

I agree. Lucks winning percentage is actually pretty decent. 

I just don't think many non Colts fans view luck as the best or 2nd best of his generation. 

From a non-Colts perspective, many believe that Luck was overrated. He was over-hyped coming out of college and wasn't at the level of Brady or Manning when he played.

So what did Luck actually do?

1. He joined a team with only 2 wins the previous year. A realistic expectation was that the Colts would slowly improve. He led a talent deprived (horrible O-line, no run game, no defense) team to the playoffs. On the way to the playoffs, he set the NFL record for most passing yards by a rookie QB. He set the NFL record for most come-back wins in a season. And he set the NFL record for most passing yards in a single game (vs. Dolphins). Yet, people will say that Luck does not have a good post-season record, without acknowledging that the Colts had no business being there in the first place. It was Luck who dragged them there.

2. In his first three years, Luck has thrown for the most TD passes in NFL history of any QB within their first 3 years. He was clearly showing that he was "generational".

3. In 2014, he once again led a talent-less team to the playoffs, making it to the AFC Championship game. The KC game will be remembered as one of the greatest comebacks of all-time.

And then the injuries started to pile up.

Unfortunately, all Grigson did was write "protect Luck" on a sticky note and did absolutely nothing else. 

To reach "Manning and Brady" level, you need an entire career. Luck, as a rookie, was compared to Manning and Brady who were in their prime.  That's an unfair comparison. When comparing Luck to Manning and Brady in their first few years in the league, Luck was there with them statistically.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Unfortunately, all Grigson did was write "protect Luck" on a sticky note and did absolutely nothing else. 

Just goes to show you, having the right coach and GM goes a long way in building a TEAM. Luck, with Ballard at the helm, would have enjoyed better protection and with Reich at the helm, would have taken us to a SB, I am pretty certain about that. 

Lamar Jackson, if he goes to a team not built by Newsome/DeCosta and not coached by a coach like John Harbaugh, might be languishing on the sidelines with coaches trying to not maximize his strengths. It is all about the right people in place, top to bottom. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just goes to show you, having the right coach and GM goes a long way in building a TEAM. Luck, with Ballard at the helm, would have enjoyed better protection and with Reich at the helm, would have taken us to a SB, I am pretty certain about that. 

Lamar Jackson, if he goes to a team not built by Newsome/DeCosta and not coached by a coach like John Harbaugh, might be languishing on the sidelines with coaches trying to not maximize his strengths. It is all about the right people in place, top to bottom. 

to be fair, Grigson did try to get O-line help....it's just that he sucked horribly at doing it. 

• Like 1

Team has solid nucleus with solid OL and pretty good defense that will get better with more experience by  rookies. We actually have good group of running backs.  Disappointment and areas in need of major improvements are:

Offense

Place kicker. It is doubtful AV is back. A great kicker who went bad all at once.

Punt Return - we need someone who can actually return punts and gain some yards.

Wide Receivers - need a playmaker to complement TY. Jury is out on Campbell. Pascal is a #3. not sure if Funchess is back next year or not.  Fountain is raw and it remains to be seen how he recovers from ankle injury. We need to invest high pick in at least one WR.

Tight End. We have Doyle. Ebron is gone. Rest of our TE group is filler material at best. Need another Dallas Clark TE.

I am not ready to say that we need a better QB. If JB had better receivers who could stretch a defense the results might be different. With that said I would think that the team might want to look at a high pick for a QB who can be groomed as JB's eventual successor. Given where we will pick in draft and fact that we have a #1 and two high #2 picks, we need to look at seeing if we can scoop up a good QB prospect

On defense we need:

Run stuffing Defensive tackle who can also collapse the pocket. an EDGE rusher and a bit more help in secondary. I actually think we have a solid nucleus in secondary - but if we have opportunity to upgrade at this position we should do that.

I think we may be 1-2 players away from having a really dominant defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankeeclipper said:

Team has solid nucleus with solid OL and pretty good defense that will get better with more experience by  rookies. We actually have good group of running backs.  Disappointment and areas in need of major improvements are:

Offense

Place kicker. It is doubtful AV is back. A great kicker who went bad all at once.

Punt Return - we need someone who can actually return punts and gain some yards.

Wide Receivers - need a playmaker to complement TY. Jury is out on Campbell. Pascal is a #3. not sure if Funchess is back next year or not.  Fountain is raw and it remains to be seen how he recovers from ankle injury. We need to invest high pick in at least one WR.

Tight End. We have Doyle. Ebron is gone. Rest of our TE group is filler material at best. Need another Dallas Clark TE.

I am not ready to say that we need a better QB. If JB had better receivers who could stretch a defense the results might be different. With that said I would think that the team might want to look at a high pick for a QB who can be groomed as JB's eventual successor. Given where we will pick in draft and fact that we have a #1 and two high #2 picks, we need to look at seeing if we can scoop up a good QB prospect

On defense we need:

Run stuffing Defensive tackle who can also collapse the pocket. an EDGE rusher and a bit more help in secondary. I actually think we have a solid nucleus in secondary - but if we have opportunity to upgrade at this position we should do that.

I think we may be 1-2 players away from having a really dominant defense. 

On defense  we get turay back. Just need a run stuffing  dt more concerned  about offense